Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Fellaini has been awful.

1st game back and was probably rushed in because it was chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Imagine the threads being populated it that was Jose that walked off without shaking Contes hand and not the other way round :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Jones completely at fault for that goal, regardless of systems/tactics. Ran out of the back 3 to get tight to bakoyoko then let him run by him to drag Smalling out of position.

Hopefully we'll bounce back after the result.

It's not the first time we've gone to Stamford Bridge and came away with nothing and it won't be the last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,645 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Deserved defeat, but nobody would bet on United beating Chelsea away so at worst its a point lost. The loyalty to Mkhitaryan is puzzling given the otherwise very high standards demanded. I really hope results start picking up because otherwise the press conferences are going to get excruciating again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

madcabbage wrote: »
    No desire to try and win this game from the get go. Have to question the mindset in the buildup to this game. Comprehensively beaten all over the park today.

Ah **** off with that ****e. We did have a go today, we're just not good enough. Simple as that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

limnam wrote: »
    1st game back and was probably rushed in because it was chelsea

Yeah, in fairness, that's true, AND he preformed better after I posted too, offering an attacking threat near the end (and had our best chance too).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

The defense was a shambles today especially for that goal. It gets worse every time I see it.

We're crying out for Pogba in midfield. There's no composure or positivity in ours at the moment. The better team won today deservingly. City look to be running away with it but it's only November. Lots of games to play but I hope we'll have Pogba and Rojo back after the Intl break as well as Ibra in New Year to give us something refreshing to watch than that sh*te

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Smalling and Mhiki need to go. They've had enough chances. Get Rojo fit and recall Andreas. I believe Andreas is HG so he can replace Smalling in the HG quota (dunno how tight we are for that)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Mehhhhh poor performance, Chelsea all over us in midfield after half time.

Some very sloppy play, passes and this booting the ball out of the defence is getting very very annoying!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The end and short of it is that there are too many bang average players in and around the first team. Yet again Valencia (failed winger) demonstrated his lack of any end product from promising positions (his on-field captaincy is indicative of how far United's stock has fallen); I have seen the classic film Bambi, and that poor fawn had remarkably more balance on ice than Smalling; how Young has moved himself into first choice left-back for a top side is living proof of the failure of the recruitment policy; while Lingard is all fart but no poo; and Herrera is like Scrappy Doo, barking at the ref all match for feeling hard done by but cowardly when it comes to the nitty gritty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Only saw the second half. It was awful. Three man midfield totally bossing our attempted two. Wtf is Miki being picked for?

From what I saw I blame the manager and the players. Lukaku was brutal. Sure he was living off scraps but he just lost everything that he contended for.

We never really looked like equalizing. I’m really questioning som elf these players and their desire. Sure you aren’t play8ng well or your not creating much but there were a few there that were just coasting along anyway without a care on the world.

This isn’t going to sort everything out but will be a starting point - stop playing a ****ing no 10. We don’t have the midfield to accommodate it.

I really hope we sign another midfielder in January because Pogba alone isn’t go8ng to sort this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Is Mata injured? Also it would be nice to know when Pogba is due back. We’ve been dire without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

4 points from liverpool huddersfield spurs and chelsea......
    Just not good enough sadly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

dubmick wrote: »
    Is Mata injured? Also it would be nice to know when Pogba is due back. We’ve been dire without him.

Hopefully he starts after the international break

Ideally Ibra and Rojo are back after this break. Need to get Lukaku out of the firing line for a while.

• Advertisement

dubmick wrote: »

He wouldn’t have made any difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Kante and the defensive 3 for Chelsea controlled Mkitaryan threat well,Lukaku didn’t hold the ball up well at all,nothing to be lost from giving Luke Shaw a few starts,Ashley Young is no left back....so predictable what he will do when he gets the ball in last third,Rashfords corners were absolutely terrible which was a pity as we got a good few today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Kante and the defensive 3 for Chelsea controlled Mkitaryan threat well,Lukaku didn’t hold the ball up well at all,nothing to be lost from giving Luke Shaw a few starts,Ashley Young is no left back....so predictable what he will do when he gets the ball in last third,Rashfords corners were absolutely terrible which was a pity as we got a good few today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Coming up...

Newcastle (H)
    Brighton (H)
    Watford (A)

Thank God, a few games without a big team.

adox wrote: »

Pogba would have
    Mata, probably not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

4 pts from the last 12 available, league well and truly done.
    Nobody will catch City now

Wed have had 11 men on the pitch

I really hope we sign another midfielder in January because Pogba alone isn’t go8ng to sort this.
    Bakayoko impressed today, far more influential than Herrera.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

You don't like getting 3 points playing more defensively.

Now you're giving out when we open up and get beat.

Make up your mind lads.

that was United opening up?

They had a good start and some late pressure with Fellaini and Chelsea sitting back. Poor second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Lord TSC wrote: »
    So, what? Throw Lingard and McTomminey in for the first two, and we do better?

People wanted us to "go for it", he picked a tactic to try and it didn't work. After weeks of people moaning about bus parking, I'd have thought there'd be at least some appreciation that Jose tried a more offensive tactic.

We were offensive for about 10 minutes. He sent the team out with the same players and same tactics/mentality that failed against Liverpool. As expected, a better side punished us for it.

We may have done better with Lingard and McTominay yeah. Or Martial/Lingard and Fellaini. Or just a game plan which involved actually trying to create quality chances and get goals. 3 shots on target against Pool and Chelsea and 1 point from 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Hate to be reactionary, but is it time to accept Utd will be a Liverpool/Spurs/Arsenal level club for the foreseeable future.

dfx- wrote: »
    that was United opening up?

That was them trying to.

You don't like getting 3 points playing more defensively.

Now you're giving out when we open up and get beat.

Make up your mind lads.

Good strawman there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Disappointed isn't the word.We really should be going to Chelsea looking for the win and not this park the bus routine we've developed under Jose. If we really have title ambitions, we need a lot better away record against the top six. Without Pogpa our midfield is going backwards. Why in the blue hell can we not take corners.
    While our position in the league might be better than last year, our football is still torture to watch as it was last year.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Pogba would have
    Mata, probably not

I was talking about Mata.

Edit: Sorry Mick I didn’t even realize Pogba was mentioned in the post I quoted.

• Advertisement

We were offensive for about 10 minutes. He sent the team out with the same players and same tactics/mentality that failed against Liverpool. As expected, a better punished us for it.

We may have done better with Lingard and McTominay yeah. Or Martial/Lingard and Fellaini. Or just a game plan which involved actually trying to create quality chances and get goals. 3 shots on target against Pool and Chelsea and 1 point from 6.

Still tiring.

I was talking about Mata.

Yep I copped that and made the edit

votecounts wrote: »
    Disappointed isn't the word.We really should be going to Chelsea looking for the win and not this park the bus routine we've developed under Jose. If we really have title ambitions, we need a lot better away record against the top six. Without Pogpa our midfield is going backwards. Why in the blue hell can we not take corners.
    While our position in the league might be better than last year, our football is still torture to watch as it was last year.

I think surely now you have to accept what a lot of us have known for a while now Utd are no where near winning the title this year.
    Also we got Jose's 3rd season syndrome to look forward to next year

Hate to be reactionary, but is it time to accept Utd will be a Liverpool/Spurs/Arsenal level club for the foreseeable future.
    What's that level? Challenging for the league every few years but potentially not quite making it? Possibly unfortunately.

Not sure why we should be entitled to anything more. We should obviously be aiming for something more given our financial clout but nothing is a given unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I'd enjoy Jose at inter 3rd season syndrome if that's on offer?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Thank **** for Call of Duty :D

Still tiring.

Don't worry about it. Sure if you just remove the goals and points City got today then not much has changed for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I think surely now you have to accept what a lot of us have known for a while now Utd are no where near winning the title this year.
    Also we got Jose's 3rd season syndrome to look forward to next year

You've been posting this for weeks.

Also, surely the third season prophecy won't come to pass now as the normal sequence of events won't occur. He normally wins the league second year then burns put third year, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Wouldnt be surprised if bookies paid out on title now. League is over

• Advertisement

S.M.B. wrote: »
    What's that level? Challenging for the league every few years but potentially not quite making it? Possibly unfortunately.

Not sure why we should be entitled to anything more. We should obviously be aiming for something more given our financial clout but nothing is a given unfortunately.

We've thrown money and the most successful managers in the world at it and nothing much has changed since Fergie left. People might say give Jose's plan time but clubs with the money we have usually don't need time. I did wonder about Jose's transfer policy this summer; he seemed to think the squad needed tinkering, like you would do to freshen an already title-winning squad. It clearly needed more.

Wouldnt mind smashing the bank for Kroos or Pjanic.

Fit into midfield over Ander and finally set piece taker. We have the tallest side in the league but we must have awful record from set pieces which is daft.

astradave wrote: »
    Thank **** for Call of Duty :D

Lol fact
    Join me in killing Nazis to help with the pain ;)

We've thrown money and the most successful managers in the world at it and nothing much has changed since Fergie left. People might say give Jose's plan time but clubs with the money we have usually don't need time. I did wonder about Jose's transfer policy this summer; he seemed to think the squad needed tinkering, like you would do to freshen an already title-winning squad. It clearly needed more.
    This is hindsight. I dont think anyone predicted Ander's performances falling off a cliff this severely or Mkhitaryan failing to step up so badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

So frustrating to see every single corner by rashford not beat the first man.

I'd enjoy Jose at inter 3rd season syndrome if that's on offer?

Eh he was only at Inter for 2 seasons, so embarrassed for you now :pac::pac:

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    This is hindsight. I dont think anyone predicted Ander's performances falling off a cliff this severely or Mkhitaryan failing to step up so badly.

Doesn't that reinforce the point? We were relying on a player not to have a bad season and another player to suddenly show he's worthy of place at the club. It's Arsene Wenger-level optimism.

That was probably the worst performance of the season nothing good about it going forward or backwards. Back 3 was badly exposed at times and I wish Jose had just stuck to what he knows best. Might have been a different game if Rashford had been a little breaver but having said that we were definitely outclassed.

While Fellaini did make some pretty big mistakes when he came on he is the only player in the middle who is able/willing to take to ball under pressure and make space for others. We seriously lack composure on the ball for a team with title ambitions.

Valencia makes me cry he is so poor and one dimensional going forward, all Alonso did to nulify his threat was step across him and block his runs when he tried to play 1 2s. Lukakus hold up play is non existant which is quite worrying.

Nothing good to say really young was alright and **** if rashford keeps hitting the first man with corners could we not at least have someone making runs across him to get a flick on or towards goal.

Sigh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

pjohnson wrote: »
    Wouldnt mind smashing the bank for Kroos or Pjanic.

Fit into midfield over Ander and finally set piece taker. We have the tallest side in the league but we must have awful record from set pieces which is daft.

You've scored the most goals from set pieces this season and conceded the second least from them. But yeah awful lol.

Doesn't that reinforce the point? We were relying on a player not to have a bad season and another player to suddenly show he's worthy of place at the club. It's Arsene Wenger-level optimism.

Well we are relying on De Gea not to suddenly have a bad season? Most clubs in the league rely on certain key players not to suddenly turn to sh*te. How many clubs expect thier player of the year to suddenly forget how to play? Did you?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

That game showed a lot of the problems United have. As a team they are good, overall a lot of good players. But the magic and sparkle is missing.

Simple example is where is the Hazard type player that can occupy two, three players and make room for others?

For United to win a game like that, they need to control how and where the game is played, the team needs to work hard, keep everything tight in defence and pounce on a mistake. Never looked on today as midfield was too open.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement