Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

brinty wrote: »
    Should we do nothing for fear of rejection

What if we stood at the bar in our best shirt, drank ten pints and hoped for the best?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

astradave wrote: »

I hope this is true. He's surely served his time on loan and it's time he was given a run out amongst the first eleven, even if it's only efl cup and substitute appearances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,342 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Liverpool still going hard for Lemar - another player we should be all over if he is leaving Monaco. Would be an excellent addition in attack.

thelad95 wrote: »
    I hope this is true. He's surely served his time on loan and it's time he was given a run out amongst the first eleven, even if it's only efl cup and substitute appearances.

You only have to look at how stretched the squad became at the end of last season. Players were knackered by the end of it cause we didn't have the quality to rotate. Pereira could be a great rotation option for us, and has proven himself a very good player.

He should be getting good game time for us this season, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liverpool still going hard for Lemar - another player we should be all over if he is leaving Monaco. Would be an excellent addition in attack.

Monaco line is that they have absolutely no intention of selling this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

What if we stood at the bar in our best shirt, drank ten pints and hoped for the best?

Hey if it gets Sanchez all warm and fuzzy for coming to us then I'm happy for you to try that course of action mate...
    We'll set up a gofundme page for the pints for ye ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,166 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Hope hording Andreas wont cause him to leave permanently in January a la Schneiderlin. We play with 2 man midfield hes 6th in that que. Oh well.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Hope hording Andreas wont cause him to leave permanently in January a la Schneiderlin. We play with 2 man midfield hes 6th in that que. Oh well.

What is the difference you would see between this season and next season? Carrick goes and now he is 5th in line for those two spots?

We are playing a two man midfield NOW. Doesn't mean every game will continue that way. Good chance there are games we play a 3 man midfield. I'd have Matic, Pogba and Herrera first choice in such circumstances but I'd have Pereira as first choice to come in for either Pogba or Herrera.

In the 10 role we have Mkhitaryan currently, Mata probably next up - Pereira can also play there, and do it better than Lingard imo.

Yes, maybe he'd have to fight for that type of spot - but would it be any different next season? May as well just sell him now if we don't think he can play a valuable roll in the squad cause Carrick is the only CM likely to leave at the end of this season based on age. Pereira has the talent to push past Fellaini though, imo, as a central midfielder (not an option b battering ram).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

We'll set up a gofundme page for the pints for ye ;)

No need, I'll be doing it anyway.

Its never worked yet but hey, its worth another shot!

• Advertisement

No need, I'll be doing it anyway.

Its never worked yet but hey, its worth another shot!

This is the one brother...

What is the difference you would see between this season and next season? Carrick goes and now he is 5th in line for those two spots?

We are playing a two man midfield NOW. Doesn't mean every game will continue that way. Good chance there are games we play a 3 man midfield. I'd have Matic, Pogba and Herrera first choice in such circumstances but I'd have Pereira as first choice to come in for either Pogba or Herrera.

In the 10 role we have Mkhitaryan currently, Mata probably next up - Pereira can also play there, and do it better than Lingard imo.

Yes, maybe he'd have to fight for that type of spot - but would it be any different next season? May as well just sell him now if we don't think he can play a valuable roll in the squad cause Carrick is the only CM likely to leave at the end of this season based on age. Pereira has the talent to push past Fellaini though, imo, as a central midfielder (not an option b battering ram).

I dont see the point in condemning Andreas back to Under 21 football for a season. Barring possibly 10 - 12 appearances if he can get 30+ again and come back even better. Carrick will be gone next year and Fellaini will likely be moved before his value plummets due to age. So Andreas can then step in and be ready to play. A year of Under 21 football wont improve Andreas. And will he even accept such a role? Andreas will surpass the aging Fellaini but for now that option b Fellaini gives us WILL keep him over Andreas.

Its about Andreas development and making sure he can succeed at the club. Leaving him disgruntled at the kids table wont help us OR his abilities. Valencia would be a major jump in quality from Granada and gives us an even stronger midfielder next year. If the choice is a year in Under 21 or a year in La Liga its a no brainer what will help us AND the player. Otherwise he would never have joined Granada.

I dont see the point in condemning Andreas back to Under 21 football for a season. Barring possibly 10 - 12 appearances if he can get 30+ again and come back even better. Carrick will be gone next year and Fellaini will likely be moved before his value plummets due to age. So Andreas can then step in and be ready to play. A year of Under 21 football wont improve Andreas. And will he even accept such a role? Andreas will surpass the aging Fellaini but for now that option b Fellaini gives us WILL keep him over Andreas.

Its about Andreas development and making sure he can succeed at the club. Leaving him disgruntled at the kids table wont help us OR his abilities. Valencia would be a major jump in quality from Granada and gives us an even stronger midfielder next year. If the choice is a year in Under 21 or a year in La Liga its a no brainer what will help us AND the player.

The reality is he would play no U23 football, unless coming back from injury.

He would either start or come on as a sub for the first team, or not play. Teams haven't used the U23 team for keeping first team footballers fit in a LONG time.

If we let Pereira go, we are weakening the squad and we will suffer for it, imo.

The reality is he would play no U23 football, unless coming back from injury.

He would either start or come on as a sub for the first team, or not play. Teams haven't used the U23 team for keeping first team footballers fit in a LONG time.

If we let Pereira go, we are weakening the squad and we will suffer for it, imo.
    So not playing at all for 3-4 weeks and then expected to be at his best and impress when he does get a cameo? Seems to be setting him up for failure but c'est la vie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Christian Karembeu, Ned Zelić and Harvey McGuinn to be announced at 17:00.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Pereira should be told he'll start every League Cup and FA Cup game this season. Outside of that, he's bench material.

There is no way he should be allowed to leave. As Mitch rightly says, it weakens the squad overall.

United are always harping on about their revenue. They can afford to keep him on the books and on the bench. He needs match experience and will get that in the cup games, plus whatever cameos he has off the bench. That should be more than enough for him this season as he looks to establish himself. Maybe he'll even play himself into the XI. Who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Looking from the outside in, it seemed Lukaku had his heart set on a move to Chelsea so pointless making a move for him.

Maybe Arsenal would reject any bid. Maybe he'd reject any contract offer - but I just don't see why not attempting to sign a player who could make a massive difference, for simple fear of rejection, is a good way to act.

If we want Sanchez, make a move for him. If it fails, it fails, so be it.

not really, Lukaku's father said he would move to either Bayern or Utd and Utd looked more likely, that was a year ago.

Lukaku also called Zlatan asking for the no9 jersey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Amy fellow reds heading to electric picnic this weekend?

bangkok wrote: »
    not really, Lukaku's father said he would move to either Bayern or Utd and Utd looked more likely, that was a year ago.

Lukaku also called Zlatan asking for the no9 jersey.

"Looking from the outside in"

Every national paper was saying he was off to Chelsea, unless you had inside knowledge into uniteds dealing s and into Zlatans convos with him, looking from the outside in you would think he was off to Chelsea..

The quotes from his father was for a move last summer, he said there was interest from Juve, Atleti, Chelsea, united and Bayern but while Riola would like him to move to Italy, his father preferred a move to United or Bayern..

By all accounts we were after Morata and you are downright lying if you are saying you knew we would get Lukaku this summer

"Looking from the outside in"

Every national paper was saying he was off to Chelsea, unless you had inside knowledge into uniteds dealing s and into Zlatans convos with him, looking from the outside in you would think he was off to Chelsea..

The quotes from his father was for a move last summer, he said there was interest from Juve, Atleti, Chelsea, united and Bayern but while Riola would like him to move to Italy, his father preferred a move to United or Bayern..

By all accounts we were after Morata and you are downright lying if you are saying you knew we would get Lukaku this summer

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/18/romelu-lukaku-father-everton-leave-summer

It was never chelsea. Was always united or bayern and looked more towarda utd as bayern had lewandowski.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/18/romelu-lukaku-father-everton-leave-summer

It was never chelsea. Was always united or bayern and looked more towarda utd as bayern had lewandowski.

Weird the way that article leaves out the start of the quote, again that was for summer 2016.. things change in a year. He was expressing his opinion in that piece. How many articles THIS year, before they all started reporting it(leaked), stated that he preferred United over Chelsea

Full quotes from last year found here, this is the start:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-striker-romelu-lukakus-dad-11098866
    Romelu Lukaku's dad has revealed that he wants his son to leave Everton and join Manchester United or Bayern Munich in the summer.

In a wide-ranging interview with Belgian newspaper HLN, Roger Lukaku said: "He's ready. I see that there is interest from Atletico Madrid, Bayern Munich, Juventus, Chelsea and Manchester United.

"I know his agent prefers Italy but I think he must choose Manchester United or Bayern Munich. Manchester United is a team under construction with no real focus.

"Bayern is a machine where he can rotate well. The only condition is if Robert Lewandowski leaves."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Are you looking for a Mod job or something :D

No Chance!!

I could only imagine the bitching and moaning I would get from couple on twitter and sure I might even have a blog written about my history. Feck That:pac::pac::pac::pac:

So, in May, or early June, you were positive United were not going to sign Morata and Chelsea were not going to sign Lukaku - that it was going to be the other way around?

So, in May, or early June, you were positive United were not going to sign Morata and Chelsea were not going to sign Lukaku - that it was going to be the other way around?

Post no. 4261 date 28-2-17

I said rooney would go back to everton, lukaku would go to united

Post no. 4261 date 28-2-17

I said rooney would go back to everton, lukaku would go to united

So before all the transfer talk really got going - when a lot of people thought that might be possible.

I'll ask again: In May and June, given all the transfer talk at that time, did it appear that Lukaku was nailed on for United? That there was no chance he was signing for Chelsea?

No Chance!!

I could only imagine the bitching and moaning I would get from couple on twitter and sure I might even have a blog written about my history. Feck That:pac::pac::pac::pac:

I supports Kew's campaign for Mod status...
    #InKewwetrust

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

It's gonna be a slog in this thread until our next game.:(

Bangkok - Lukaku is chelsea bound: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103742373&postcount=8301
    Bangkok - Lukaku is chelsea bound: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103741634&postcount=8287

But he was only ever going to be signing for United, even people on the outside looking in knew that. Obviously.

zerks wrote: »
    It's gonna be a slog in this thread until our next game.:(

Once the window closes it'll be quiet. We cant be expected to move for Mahrez/Bale/Greizmann/Fabinho etc.

Once the window closes it'll be quiet. We cant be expected to move for Mahrez/Bale/Greizmann/Fabinho etc.

I will be most vocal every time we drop points, about how i told ye all that the squad wasn't good enough. Don't you worry about that!

I will be most vocal every time we drop points, about how i told ye all that the squad wasn't good enough. Don't you worry about that!

I'm not sure if that's a tongue in cheek comment Mitch. Who are you suggesting we go after? Or where do we need to strengthen?

Sorry if that sounds arsey.. its a genuine question.

I wouldn't mind a right back or wide player if one can be got. And i think that's what you've also been asking for if i'm correct??

• Advertisement

Bangkok - Lukaku is chelsea bound: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103742373&postcount=8301
    Bangkok - Lukaku is chelsea bound: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103741634&postcount=8287

But he was only ever going to be signing for United, even people on the outside looking in knew that. Obviously.

He was still hugely linked with us.

Sanchez has only been linked with city

I'm not sure if that's a tongue in cheek comment Mitch. Who are you suggesting we go after? Or where do we need to strengthen?

Sorry if that sounds arsey.. its a genuine question.

I wouldn't mind a right back or wide player if one can be got. And i think that's what you've also been asking for if i'm correct??

Wide player and a left back.

Valencia is ok and Mourinho trusts him.
    Blind is rubbish at left back. Darmian is rubbish at left back. Rojo is injured and rubbish at left back. Shaw has potential but hasn't kicked on at United yet (injured a lot) and Mourinho doesn't trust him at all.

I feel the squad is crying out for a natural winger, but would also be quite happy with a wide attacking threat for the right side - as I feel we could upgrade the pace and goal threat from the right. (Bale, Greizmann could/would play from that side imo). Mahrez would be a good pickup. Lemar can play across the line, but would probably be in more direct competition with Martial/Rashford - but I have to think Perisic would have been and we were in strong for him. Maybe martial actually looking like a footballer has changed Jose's mind on that.

I also don't think Fellaini or Carrick are good enough in CM to be relied on for the season and think any role that isn't Matic's should be given to Pereira ahead of either of them.

He was still hugely linked with us.

Sanchez has only been linked with city

Doc says we should go for Kane or Lukaku.

You answer saying Spurs won't sell Kane and Lukaku is off to chelsea.

Did you actually mean "We should bid for both players and see if we can do a deal", cause I read it as "lukaku is going to chelsea, no point making a move for him". Sorry if I got that wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Jaysus Christ. I didnt mean an in depth analysis of the entire club. I simply meant he turned a complete €5m flop into a €10m profit for the club. Thats a masterstroke by anyone.

You got extra, you're welcome <3

Wide player and a left back.

Valencia is ok and Mourinho trusts him.
    Blind is rubbish at left back. Darmian is rubbish at left back. Rojo is injured and rubbish at left back. Shaw has potential but hasn't kicked on at United yet (injured a lot) and Mourinho doesn't trust him at all.

I feel the squad is crying out for a natural winger, but would also be quite happy with a wide attacking threat for the right side - as I feel we could upgrade the pace and goal threat from the right. (Bale, Greizmann could/would play from that side imo). Mahrez would be a good pickup. Lemar can play across the line, but would probably be in more direct competition with Martial/Rashford - but I have to think Perisic would have been and we were in strong for him. Maybe martial actually looking like a footballer has changed Jose's mind on that.

I also don't think Fellaini or Carrick are good enough in CM to be relied on for the season and think any role that isn't Matic's should be given to Pereira ahead of either of them.

That's a pretty fair assesment Mitch and i'd agree with your views

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

haha is this back and forward bangkok claiming United were the only destination along with Munich?

100% was rowing in with the papers saying he was Chelsea bound, and with that whiff of authority like he knew something.

It was a shock coup for a reason, stop trying to pretend like it was obviously on the cards.

TheDoc wrote: »
    haha is this back and forward bangkok claiming United were the only destination along with Munich?

100% was rowing in with the papers saying he was Chelsea bound, and with that whiff of authority like he knew something.

It was a shock coup for a reason, stop trying to pretend like it was obviously on the cards.

Ah here, it was hardly a shock. He had been linked a lot before we signed him. We just announced it quickly when chelsea were in for him and it looked like we were after morata. That was the only surprise.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Ah here, it was hardly a shock. He had been linked a lot before we signed him. We just announced it quickly when chelsea were in for him and it looked like we were after morata. That was the only surprise.

You are speaking absolute bollocks. When the news broke, everyone, United and Chelsea fans alike, we're utterly shocked, and it was because it was widely accepted his move to Chelsea was an inevitability. We were barely, if at all, linked with him in the months before hand. Maybe the year before, but not in this window.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    You are speaking absolute bollocks. When the news broke, everyone, United and Chelsea fans alike, we're utterly shocked, and it was because it was widely accepted his move to Chelsea was an inevitability. We were barely, if at all, linked with him in the months before hand. Maybe the year before, but not in this window.

Most links in the month or so leading up were similar to what we are hearing about Sanchez - we are interested, but don't believe a deal is possible cause the player is basically nailed on to sign for a different team.

• Advertisement

Link from june saying we could still sign lukaku

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/624063/Man-Utd-Transfer-News-Lewandowski-Lukaku-Darmian-Gossip-Jose-Mourinho-Old-Trafford/amp

Even one of the espn pundits paul mariner saying we had a bid on lukaku in june

Jaysus my head is sore from all this flip flopping from Bangkok....

Could we all just move along quietly

simpsons-its-already-dead-640x401.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Really, you're linking The Star and mentioning ESPN? I reckon they'd link me with United soon enough...

Link from june saying we could still sign lukaku

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/624063/Man-Utd-Transfer-News-Lewandowski-Lukaku-Darmian-Gossip-Jose-Mourinho-Old-Trafford/amp

Even one of the espn pundits paul munier saying we had a bid on lukaku in june

From the OUTSIDE looking in - did it or did it not appear that Lukaku was nailed on to sign for Chelsea, regardless of any reported interest from United?

Really, you're linking The Star and mentioning ESPN? I reckon they'd link me with United soon enough...

Breaking News : Ed Woodward is in record breaking negotiations to liberate the artist former known as Lord TeamShadowClan from his current overlords at Boards.ie and seal a once in a lifetime deal to bring him to Old Trafford... sources at brinty's imagination have been briefed by several senior officials at the club that an announcement is imminent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

So if the transfer window ends with utd having no more signings, would we classify the transfer window as successful?

I wouldnt be sure of it myself tbh, we have a really good team but still missing players tbh

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    So if the transfer window ends with utd having no more signings, would we classify the transfer window as successful?

I wouldnt be sure of it myself tbh, we have a really good team but still missing players tbh

Think you might be panicking only because some other clubs are making late moves.
    No point going for players at this late stage without a proper plan in place. I'm really happy with the dealings but it would have been nice to have gotten a winger in.
    I'm not overly concerned about it though because I have seen evidence of goal contribution throughout the team.

Headshot wrote: »

I thin you can only judge the success or not in the next couple of months. Jose has gotten three of the four players in that he wanted and at great prices given how things exploded afterwards. Would we all like a right/ left back and a wide player, yes for sure but i think we've taken the correct approach to it. Matic and Lukaku are already showing their worth in the team, players are stepping up in Jose's style of play. Lindelof is a bit off the pace but should come good. If we could do one more deal before the window closes it would be great but I'm not going to worry if something doesn't happen.

Look, read this article. You cant say there was no links and he was signed out of no where.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/823118/Romelu-Lukaku-Man-Utd-Chelsea-Everton-transfer-news-gossip

Look, read this article. You cant say there was no links and he was signed out of no where.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/823118/Romelu-Lukaku-Man-Utd-Chelsea-Everton-transfer-news-gossip

Express :pac: if you are using Luke Gardiner(the star who has no links to Chelsea Everton or United) or the express to back up your point you might as well stop playing

Express :pac: if you are using Luke Gardiner(the star who has no links to Chelsea Everton or United) or the express to back up your point you might as well stop playing

No im using Paul Marnier ex footballer, works for espn and has a friend working in the everton board room

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement