Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,348 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The issue for me with English managers wanting a chance is that England is an elite, global league now. Chairmen actually don't give a **** if you are from England or Kazakhstan if you are winning them games and making them money. Because there is huge money in the league, they will buy in an elite manager, rather than giving an ex-pro a chance. This is okay and I'm not sure why people like Unsworth, Sherwood, Giggs etc believe they have a god-given right to be given the keys to a multinational.

The real question for me is why the English ex-pros don't try to head off to a different country or lower down the leagues and prove themselves there. That is what you need to do.

People like Allardyce is not wanted at the tp because he has never once shown that he is capable of anything more than firefighting with lesser players.
    This from football365 is pertinent. http://www.football365.com/news/mediawatch-collymore-neville-allardyce-crooks

Not so much the first half about Dyche/Puel - but the bit on Neville/Unsworth in the second half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Jose has said that zlatan, Marcus and pogba have to work every day but they are in a good place going into the next phase of the season and into Christmas.

3 of them will bring much needed dept and competition for places.

bangkok wrote: »
    Delighted for Moyes. A good club to get his career back on track

Couldn't give a flying fuk about him or west ham to be honest moyes is a part of history I like to try forget about.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Jose has said that zlatan, Marcus and pogba have to work every day but they are in a good place going into the next phase of the season and into Christmas.

Rojo was doing brilliantly for us before his injury.

He had gone from being an utter liability (imo) to our best CB last season. Hopefully we get the really good rojo back.

Will also be very interesting to see how the team lines up when Pogba is back, for most matches. Will he replace Herrera at CM or Miki at 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

the way we playing at the moment, the 3 of them could go straight into the starting lineup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,170 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Rojo was doing brilliantly for us before his injury.

He had gone from being an utter liability (imo) to our best CB last season. Hopefully we get the really good rojo back.

Will also be very interesting to see how the team lines up when Pogba is back, for most matches. Will he replace Herrera at CM or Miki at 10.

Pogba for Herrera, Mata for Mhiki.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

With everyone fit, against the big teams I'd prefer to see a midfield 3 of Matic, Herrera and Pogba, with Pogba playing the more advanced role. Our options in the no.10 position are getting steamrolled and are offering very little help defensively. Pogba would add some much needed strength and the ability to comfortably hold up the ball when under pressure.

Matic, Fellaini and Pogba is another, more cautious option which is what I think Mourinho would prefer until the teams form improves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I wouldn't be over disappointed with Mhki keeping his place in the team if Pogba was to return after the international break, especially for some of our upcoming games.

He'd massively benefit from being able to actually play the role of a number 10 rather than chasing around midfield trying to make up the numbers there.

If he fails to impress when given that platform then it's most certainly time to look elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Quandary wrote: »
    With everyone fit, against the big teams I'd prefer to see a midfield 3 of Matic, Herrera and Pogba, with Pogba playing the more advanced role. Our options in the no.10 position are getting steamrolled and are offering very little help defensively. Pogba would add some much needed strength and the ability to comfortably hold up the ball when under pressure.

Matic, Fellaini and Pogba is another, more cautious option which is what I think Mourinho would prefer until the teams form improves.

Fully agree. The sooner we drop this no 10 nonsense the better. We don’t have the personnel to accommodate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Matic, Fellaini and Pogba would be best but Pogba is not a 10 either. I'd be looking at him and Fellaini both being further forward than Matic, rather than a lone midfielder doing that.

• Advertisement

Quandary wrote: »

Yep, in an ideal world with the current roster, our regular CM would feature 3 IMO. Pogba, Matic and one of Herrera/Fellaini. You say for big games. However, I'd look to employ that in not just those, but the majority of away games and for 4-3-3 or a variation of 4-3-1-2 to become our regular formation.

I believe we have the players to do this when Pogba and Fellaini return.

Off topic: Ivan Yates to Kevin Kilbane now on Newstalk - "If a question brings about the answer 'David Moyes', well then the wrong question was asked." :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Matic, Fellaini and Pogba would be best but Pogba is not a 10 either. I'd be looking at him and Fellaini both being further forward than Matic, rather than a lone midfielder doing that.

I’d have Pogba as the furthest forward of the midfield three but deeper than a traditional 10. I’d give him license to roam deep if he wanted as well, still maintaining some traditional midfield responsibilities but with two behind to fill the gaps he invariably leaves.

I honestly believe it’s the only way we can play with th current personnel to get the most out of them.

adox wrote: »
    I’d have Pogba as the furthest forward of the midfield three but deeper than a traditional 10. I’d give him license to roam deep if he wanted as well, still maintaining some traditional midfield responsibilities but with two behind to fill the gaps he invariably leaves.

I honestly believe it’s the only way we can play with th current personnel to get the most out of them.

Ya I'd like to see that too, only with Fellaini being furthest forward for goalkicks and frees etc. so if going short we would get Pogba on the ball in or around midfield and if we need to go long its to Fellaini, with Fellaini kinda funneling back as the ball moves up the pitch

I think playing a midfield 3 of Matic, Pogba and fellaini would give us greater freedom to play rashford and martial as offensive wingers, with less reliance on the full backs to offer that wide 'threat'.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Fully agree. The sooner we drop this no 10 nonsense the better. We don’t have the personnel to accommodate it.

Not exactly true. Jose likes a no 10 who can drop into midfield or press a defence to force a mistake. Miki is obviously not playing well but that doesn't mean the idea is wrong.

United best side in a big game, to play Jose's system, is pretty much the what we saw yesterday but swapping Pogba for a centre back.

In an aveage game at home his best side is probably with Mata added in place of the third midfield player.

Buying Matic, was to let full backs move forward and give Pogba licence to move around and link up with others, find spaces to play quick passes to forwards, get forward himself.

This is why losing Pogba is such a big deal, now with Matic it makes losing Pogba for 11 games a much bigger deal as his potential influence on a game is greater than last season.

Miki, at 10 is rightfully is under scrutiny, his best play is alway when someone is playing ball to him that allows him to run at opposition immediately, not receiving passes under pressure and needing to turn. Those moments are very rare in a big game and even rarer with the open midfield that was there yesterday.

A huge part of Jose's mentality is to force and take advantage of mistakes though and a no 10 is vital to that idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

I think Pogba playing deeper than number 10 is the way to go. We need to start owning the ball and controlling games against the big sides, only then do our forwards have a platform on which to perform. At Chelsea and Liverpool we were under constant pressure as the game was being played on their terms. Our forwards, Lukaku especially, were feeding off scraps for the most part. I think Pogba in a deeper role can help us control games. He can win balls, outmuscle most players and hold up play, and can bring the ball forward as well. He's the kind of player that other teams will have to make plans for, and possibly man mark which may hinder them elsewhere. I doubt Chelsea had any special plans to shackle Herrera yesterday.

I think a midfield of Pogba, Matic and Carrick could provide that control and composure in the big games. Carrick sitting the deepest due to his age and Pogba with a license to roam forward. Fellaini is a viable option too instead of Carrick, but I think he's far more prone to a mistake when put under pressure than Carrick is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Jose Mourinho reportedly disgruntled with some of the the goings-on at United and could leave the club at the end of this season.Verified account

https://twitter.com/MrTomMcDermott/status/927631648388190214

Rumors that he has fallen out with Woodward. Could be tabloid trash but with his silly comments about fans lately there could be something to it. He doesn't come across as happy thats for sure.

Ancelotti anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I don't like Mourinho, at all, but more upheaval will do us no good.

But with that said, Ancelotti would be the go-to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Rumors that he has fallen out with Woodward. Could be tabloid trash but with his silly comments about fans lately there could be something to it. He doesn't come across as happy thats for sure.

Ancelotti anyone?

If he wants to go then let him off to ****. Dont think Ancelotti is going to be the answer either. Pochetino the obvious

Ancelotti anyone?

He is probably not happy because we are almost out of the title race and its only november!!

Wouldnt like to see him leave, let him build what he started

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

The attitude and antics of the manager were one of the main reasons why I wasn't jumping through hoops about his appointment. And I'm sorry to now say that it seems he's on that road again.

I'm not saying I want him gone, but couple this with his tactics and instructions for the Spurs, Liverpool games, as well as a number of the CL games, I'd really now question whether he is in fact what is best for the club.

There was a lot of discussion amongst my group of friends last night about whether people thought he is the best fit for United. I'm very much undecided.
    Still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Maybe the rumours of Jose falling out with Woodward have fuelled the morning papers saying PSG want him as their next manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I honestly think the front 3 get away with very little criticism. We went to Stamford Bridge and conceded one goal. That’s not ‘a shambles’ by any means.

I don’t think Ibra is the answer but we’re severely lacking creativity in our front 3 or 4 especially in big games. Maybe it’s a lack of big game experience but the fact is Rashford needs to do more and be more effective. Lukaku needs to be clinical. Martial needs to stand up and not just go around with his cool guy attitude. Mkhitaryan is not really worth speaking about. Lingard is the only one with a big game attitude. He doesn’t fear anything and plays the big games the same as any other games. But he needs to be more effective too, even though I thought he got us going a bit on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Tom Mc-****in-Dermott

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I honestly think the front 3 get away with very little criticism. We went to Stamford Bridge and conceded one goal. That’s not ‘a shambles’ by any means.

I don’t think Ibra is the answer but we’re severely lacking creativity in our front 3 or 4 especially in big games. Maybe it’s a lack of big game experience but the fact is Rashford needs to do more and be more effective. Lukaku needs to be clinical. Martial needs to stand up and not just go around with his cool guy attitude. Mkhitaryan is not really worth speaking about. Lingard is the only one with a big game attitude. He doesn’t fear anything and plays the big games the same as any other games. But he needs to be more effective too, even though I thought he got us going a bit on Sunday.

Lukaku needs service. And creativity comes from creative players. Like Mata. Not playing him is a mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭secman

Mourinho is just teasing me..... you big tease Mou :)

Jesus lads, can't believe some lads are buying the crap from McDermott

A loss against Chelsea
    He's a little bit irked recently
    Automatically means he's leaving for PSG and him and Woodward have fallen out :P

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Jesus lads, can't believe some lads are buying the crap from McDermott

A loss against Chelsea
    He's a little bit irked recently
    Automatically means he's leaving for PSG and him and Woodward have fallen out :P

Agree like a month ago jose was seemingly looking more mellow and happy then he has ever been a few bad results and he looks like wants out?

He is not happy when he aint winning most managers are the same he was the same last year.

Breaking news!!!! West ham are on their way to the championship.

• Advertisement

If he goes he goes. I'd be disappointed, but I hope United back him as much as they can while he is here.

As for who could replace him - Pochetino would be the obvious leading candidate - I would have been delighted to get him the time we got mourinho to be honest. A lot of talk he is on the Real Madrid hitlist to take over from Zidane, which could be a thing this summer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

astradave wrote: »
    Tom Mc-****in-Dermott

:pac:

Checked his Twitter and he says he writes for the Sun as the first publication on his list.

So, we are believing The Sun now?

We lost a match going into the International Break, so the rags are going to try and run a narrative about their favourite topic. "united in crisis".

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Breaking news!!!! West ham are on their way to the championship.

West Ham fan poll:

5% Moyes
    94% Pardew
    1% Other.

He's gonna have a hard time winning them over.

West Ham fan poll:

5% Moyes
    94% Pardew
    1% Other.

He's gonna have a hard time winning them over.

Can't wait to meet the fans and share the stadium with them seemingly.

He really is a sucker for punishment.

His first press conference will be along the times of "spurs ....... yes we aspire to play football like them".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

we are almost out of the title race

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Our club has been a graveyard for 10's, I'm tending to agree with you.

Mhiki at 10 hasn't worked out. His own issues that he needs to take ownership of are obvious, but him operating as this 50/50 midfielder/attacker isn't working and he just doesn't have the environment of setup to flourish.

Probably back on the right for him in a 4-3-3 or just out of the team.

Very much at the point where I'm not really understanding why Rashford and Martial arn't starting. As a guy on Second Captains said yesterday, you get your whiteboard, De Gea, Pogba, Martial and Rashford go onto it, then you work out the other seven.

• Advertisement

Couldn't give a flying fuk about him or west ham to be honest moyes is a part of history I like to try forget about.

disappointed with you Jayo.... your reply to me when i said i was happy for Moyes.

Your last 2 posts have been about both Moyes and West Ham...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

They have got plenty of criticism. Lukaku and Mhikitaryian are getting slaughtered from all angles.

With what appears to be a total disregard for the scenarios and environments those games are providing for those players. Absolutely starved of service or options. I don't see how someone like Mhikitaryian works in a Jose team, it's just more of the same, the same trend and issues he has always had with attackers.

Like why did he buy him, to then just not know how to use him properly. It's so poor.

That's why I don't feel 100% convinced by anything about Griezemann stuff, because if I was the player , I'd probably think long and hard before agreeing to work with Mourinho

disappointed with you Jayo.... your reply to me when i said i was happy for Moyes.

Your last 2 posts have been about both Moyes and West Ham...

Disappointed with you having to go back to bring up a post from a couple days ago :).

Let me explain that response to you... I wasn't having a dig at you for mentioning him I was saying I don't give a fuk for him.. meaning I have no affection for the man or wish him any well with west ham.

I'll put it to you this way if there was one set of fans that I could wish David moyes on it would be west ham i hope they suffer with him.

I feel sorry for poor Hernandez who will, once again, have to deal with Moyes :(

Disappointed with you having to go back to bring up a post from a couple days ago :).

Let me explain that response to you... I wasn't having a dig at you for mentioning him I was saying I don't give a fuk for him.. meaning I have no affection for the man or wish him any well with west ham.

I'll put it to you this way if there was one set of fans that I could wish David moyes on it would be west ham i hope they suffer with him.

it was only yesterday, still getting over the shock from you're reply :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,170 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I feel sorry for poor Hernandez who will, once again, have to deal with Moyes :(

Cant be worse than Biloc who stuck him LW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

TheDoc wrote: »
    They have got plenty of criticism. Lukaku and Mhikitaryian are getting slaughtered from all angles.

With what appears to be a total disregard for the scenarios and environments those games are providing for those players. Absolutely starved of service or options. I don't see how someone like Mhikitaryian works in a Jose team, it's just more of the same, the same trend and issues he has always had with attackers.

Like why did he buy him, to then just not know how to use him properly. It's so poor.

That's why I don't feel 100% convinced by anything about Griezemann stuff, because if I was the player , I'd probably think long and hard before agreeing to work with Mourinho

This with the whole Mourinho to PSG rumours which are picking up steam makes me hope Tuschel hasn't signed for Bayern just yet.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Checked his Twitter and he says he writes for the Sun as the first publication on his list.

So, we are believing The Sun now?

We lost a match going into the International Break, so the rags are going to try and run a narrative about their favourite topic. "united in crisis".

He’s a spoofer of the highest order, has been known to make up sources and stories and has been caught out on numerous occasions, it really surprises me that people are taking him seriously

Bad day on Cod this morning? :D

Though I do get you, I don’t get the affinity to Moyes just because he was in charge of United for a few months.. he failed and brought the club down while he was doing that..

Also thoroughly dislike West Ham so that’s a bonus :D

Bad day on Cod this morning? :D

Though I do get you, I don’t get the affinity to Moyes just because he was in charge of United for a few months.. he failed and brought the club down while he was doing that..

Also thoroughly dislike West Ham so that’s a bonus :D

Dave I'm on your level pal haha.

Didn't get near cod pal the lawnmower wouldn't bloody start put me in right bad form.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Toobz wrote: »
    This with the whole Mourinho to PSG rumours which are picking up steam makes me hope Tuschel hasn't signed for Bayern just yet.

Tuchel is as spikey as Mourinho and causes just as many issues behind the scenes. It's the reason he left Dortmund and the reason Bayern overlooked him for Heynckes.

Get the Napoli fella in - he has them playing AMAZING football. To watch anyway. ;-D

He’s a spoofer of the highest order, has been known to make up sources and stories and has been caught out on numerous occasions, it really surprises me that people are taking him seriously

Frankly, its because people want to believe there's chaos, so will ignore the "source" of the news.

Meanwhile...

David Moyes signed his contract at Manchester United until 2019. In that time, he's managed us, Real Sociedad, Sunderland & now West Ham - with a year left.

I'm convinced that all is not 100% rosey behind the scenes at OT at the moment. However, that feeling has nothing to do with Tom McDermott, the little bollix who had me convinced we were signing Vidal a few years back.

dont want to bring it back to city, but looking at the way they lined up v Chelsea away and Arsenal at home....

Aguero

sane
    silva
    de bruyne
    sterling

fernandinho

football is fluid, no proper no 10 and we have the players to play the very same system and for it to be effective

against chelsea we lined up

lukaku
    rashford

mkhitarayan

young
    matic
    herrera
    valencia

chalk and cheese regarding quality i think its fair to say, but we could go (when pogba is back)

lukaku

Martial
    Pogba
    Mata
    Rashford

Matic

that right there is as good if not better than Man City, even when pogba was injured, Lingard or Mkhitaryan slots in where pogba is.

The no10 position for Utd is dead imo, the above team has balance, pace and skill in abundance

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement