Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Mata alongside Pogba is never a good idea. We`d be softer than we are already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I feel sorry for poor Hernandez who will, once again, have to deal with Moyes :(

Was only thinking about that this week, wasn't he omitted in favour of a brutal Danny Wellbeck and and a total nosedived, unprofessional Van Persie?

To be honest Chico going to West Ham was mental in the first place, much better player and smelt a bit like $$$ or something, cause he could have and should have gone to somewhere bigger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

adox wrote: »
    Mata alongside Pogba is never a good idea. We`d be softer than we are already.

silva and de bruyne are hardly giants. No need for 2 holding midfielders in the majority of the games we play

TheDoc wrote: »
    Was only thinking about that this week, wasn't he omitted in favour of a brutal Danny Wellbeck and and a total nosedived, unprofessional Van Persie?

To be honest Chico going to West Ham was mental in the first place, much better player and smelt a bit like $$$ or something, cause he could have and should have gone to somewhere bigger

did welbeck not score 6 goals in 6 games at one stage when we were desperate for goals??

Toobz wrote: »
    This with the whole Mourinho to PSG rumours which are picking up steam makes me hope Tuschel hasn't signed for Bayern just yet.

Think it would be premature going into post Mourinho manager candidates no? :D

But sure while we are on it....Poch for me. All day long. While no real experience of working with big players, and who knows how he reacts or deals with established pros as opposed to young players he can mould (Van Gaal paradigm) he has a clear style and direction when it comes to attacking and yet combines it with defensive solidity.

His book was an interesting read, and seems to very much use Ferguson as the template for what a manager should be and his teams for how a "top team" should play.

Kinda wondered if those parts in the book were a bit " oi oi, hint hint" :D

Doesn't seem to be an obnoxious **** that annoys me either, which helps :P

Thats a bit of fanciful stuff obviously, but on a note of wether anything is accurate or not, I'm definitely concerned at the stories emerging and surrounding the manager.

a) I think he is an absolute entitled arsehole if he thinks a league collapse and two easily acquired cups should result in a massive bump in salary, one year into a three year contract.
    b) I think the club will look weak if they bow into it, and succumb to potential bluffs about PSG.

I think its definitly a thing btw, its not made up. Mourinho has mentioned "money" now three times, and thats with purpose and intent. He feels he deserves a bump for getting us back into the CL. Absolute nonsense. If he delivers this season, then going into his last year they can sit down and work something out if wanted. But trying to muscle a new bump only a year in smacks of ego, and to be honest, considering the general mood that has gone south, results and performances, its such a weak negotiating start point. I can't work out what he is doing.

The more "radical" opinions I've heard is that this is the infamous meltdown, or that he actually just wants out cause he can't see himself winning the league against City. I don't believe that to be the case, but definitely not all looking well and I'd side with the club should they decide to hold off. I don't think I've seen enough to justify a big salary bump and I think he is losing the run of himself in terms of what he has done. Just goes to show the mood was so piss poor under Van Gaal, even hearing how some pods this week have referenced that era. Like, the "feeling" seems to totally mask up the actual reality and the results and achievements.

bangkok wrote: »
    silva and de bruyne are hardly giants. No need for 2 holding midfielders in the majority of the games we play

Fernandhino has been an absolute monster this season, obviously totally overlooked based on their attack. But he has been sensational in the games I've seen thus far.

did welbeck not score 6 goals in 6 games at one stage when we were desperate for goals??

Probably, maybe. I don't think my brain allows him any credit because I thought he was muck, transpired to be muck, and has continued to be muck.

And he whiffed and absolute sitter against Bayern that I had a 400% knee jerk fan reaction to where I proclaimed him muck, and will never see him anything other then said muck, going forward :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

TheDoc wrote: »

Welbeck was one of the few who performed that season.

beno619 wrote: »

haha he probably did. One of those players I totally writ off early on and failed to ever get impressed with. Probably made excuses for why he did well if he did :D

• Advertisement

beno619 wrote: »

should never have been sold imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Why can't we just go out and play our football and let the opposition be worried about us instead of the other way round. We've set up to think more about nullification than concentrating on our game for far too long now.
    I remember being at OT when under LVG we just went out and played football,no bollixology of each player having a specific role and staying stuck to one small section of the pitch.We destroyed them with fast fluid football that day and we still have the players to do that. We aren't Ireland trying to be perennial underdogs,we are FOOKING MANCHESTER UNITED! Let's get back to the mentality of "not arrogant,just better".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,348 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If United have to sell to buy, I wonder who would be on the chopping block.

Based on who I think we'd be trying to buy, and current selections - I would have to think that both Shaw and Mata would be ones Mourinho would look to sell to buy who he wants. (I would think Mata would be unlucky to be gone before Miki).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,170 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Based on who I think we'd be trying to buy, and current selections - I would have to think that both Shaw and Mata would be ones Mourinho would look to sell to buy who he wants. (I would think Mata would be unlucky to be gone before Miki).

Be amazed if Mata goes before Mhiki. He is only a year older and considerably more consistent. If Mhiki was 3-4 years younger maybe he'd be kept but he isn't. He cant adapt to England so pointless keeping him. Mhiki would raise more funds than Mata aswell I'd imagine.

squad isnt the biggest anyway so doubt they would need to sell, although when Rojo is back could see Darmian looking for a move back to Italy. Carricks final season at the club as well and there is still talk of fellaini moving in the summer. Luke Shaw as well

• Advertisement

squad isnt the biggest anyway so doubt they would need to sell, although when Rojo is back could see Darmian looking for a move back to Italy. Carricks final season at the club as well and there is still talk of fellaini moving in the summer. Luke Shaw as well

I was wondering where that notion came from, just saw Simon Stone's BBC article...
    Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho will be told to offload players if he wants to add to his squad in January.

The Old Trafford board want to control costs before sanctioning more outlay on new signings.

Mourinho has spent £285m on transfer fees on six major signings during his two years at the club.

United's most recent financial results, released in September, showed their wage bill had risen by 13.5% to £263.5m.

Defender Luke Shaw, who cost United £27m in 2014 but yet to start this season, is the most likely departure. The 22-year-old has started just four Premier League games in 12 months through a combination of injury and poor form.

The future of Marouane Fellaini is also unclear. The Belgium midfielder's contract expires in the summer and he will be free to negotiate with overseas clubs in January.

Sixteen first-team squad members have left since Mourinho took charge in May 2016, but only the £16m sale of Memphis Depay and the £22m departure of Morgan Schneiderlin generated significant income, while high-earners Wayne Rooney and Bastian Schweinsteiger have also left.

Sunday's Premier League defeat at Chelsea left United eight points behind leaders Manchester City.
    Most of that could be written on speculation, but for Simon Stone to create the narrative that Manchester Moneybags United have to sell to buy in January, that would be a poor move for his Old Trafford press pass and privileges.

Stone is usually the first to ask questions in Jose's press conferences, and I think it's been reported that Jose doesn't mind him as far as journos go. He has an annoying interview style, sure, but I don't think he creates much BS about the club.

I was wondering where that notion came from, just saw Simon Stone's BBC article...

Most of that could be written on speculation, but for Simon Stone to create the narrative that Manchester Moneybags United have to sell to buy in January, that would be a poor move for his Old Trafford press pass and privileges.

Stone is usually the first to ask questions in Jose's press conferences, and I think it's been reported that Jose doesn't mind him as far as journos go. He has an annoying interview style, sure, but I don't think he creates much BS about the club.

It is also a narrative that was spoken about towards the end of the summer window, so its not new.

From what I am reading, he is a well respected journo and one that would have the higher ups at United talking to him. Now, the people talking to him might have a less than honest agenda, but I wouldn't be throwing this story out the window.

With the amount United spend on wages, I could well see a situation where a new player coming in needs the wages offset by someone going out the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Shaw [ unfortunately not working out ] Mata, Carrick, Darmian, Young and Fellani id say will go between January and Summer

Robson99 wrote: »
    Shaw [ unfortunately not working out ] Mata, Carrick, Darmian, Young and Fellani id say will go between January and Summer

Carrick will stay to the end of the season then likely retire.
    Darmian and Mata I can see being sold if someone bids for them.
    Young could be allowed to leave, but I reckon he only goes if he wants to - if he is happy to stay I see him staying, good backup option in a few spaces.

I would say Jose wants Fellaini to sign a new contract. He is too useful and too good to be let go, especially when we lack midfield options. I could see Herrera being out the door sooner than I could see Fellaini willingly sold by Mourinho.

Carrick will stay to the end of the season then likely retire.
    Darmian and Mata I can see being sold if someone bids for them.
    Young could be allowed to leave, but I reckon he only goes if he wants to - if he is happy to stay I see him staying, good backup option in a few spaces.

I would say Jose wants Fellaini to sign a new contract. He is too useful and too good to be let go, especially when we lack midfield options. I could see Herrera being out the door sooner than I could see Fellaini willingly sold by Mourinho.

I think we are really lacking in the middle of the park. Matic and Pogba are definites but after that we are just not good enough. I have always liked Hererra and had high hopes for him after last season but for some reason he has regressed. Carrick at this stage will offer us nothing against the big teams and Fellani just doesnt have the bit of class and quality you need against the betterr teams. Its too route one when he plays

• Advertisement

I think we are really lacking in the middle of the park. Matic and Pogba are definites but after that we are just not good enough. I have always liked Hererra and had high hopes for him after last season but for some reason he has regressed. Carrick at this stage will offer us nothing against the big teams and Fellani just doesnt have the bit of class and quality you need against the betterr teams. Its too route one when he plays

too be honest i feel a bit sorry for herrera, not really sure what position he is meant to be playing. We have no real shape or team identity yet. Maybe when everyone is back fully fit we will see the best of him

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Smalling, I'd imagine, could be one to go; when everyone is fit, he's (at best) 4th choice behind Bailly, Rojo and Jones. You'd imagine Jose would like to develop Lindelof as well.

Darmian and Shaw barely get games, so I'd say they could go.

Mata or Mkhi if Ozil or another attacking player comes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Whats needed is a player like Modric,I think he would add alot to the CM,assured on the ball can pick a pass and doesnt give it away too often.

Herrera can be wild at times in possession,cant be faulted for effort but at times he needs to settle down when he has it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Selling to buy is sensible,we have players who won't be in the manager's plans going forward so getting decent fees for them soon is vital.
    It also balances the books and keeps us well within FFP rules,just look at PSG today with stories that they failed FFP tests by €80 million.

Whats needed is a player like Modric,I think he would add alot to the CM,assured on the ball can pick a pass and doesnt give it away too often.

Herrera can be wild at times in possession,cant be faulted for effort but at times he needs to settle down when he has it.

Exactly the player [ or type of player ] we need. Silva at City another example.
    I wouldnt give up on Hererra either yet

Selling to buy is sensible,we have players who won't be in the manager's plans going forward so getting decent fees for them soon is vital.
    It also balances the books and keeps us well within FFP rules,just look at PSG today with stories that they failed FFP tests by €80 million.

:pac:

im sure the accountant will fix that for them. another 180m due next summer for Mbappe

too be honest i feel a bit sorry for herrera, not really sure what position he is meant to be playing. We have no real shape or team identity yet. Maybe when everyone is back fully fit we will see the best of him

I agree and hope he gets back to his best as he has far more to offer and ability than Fellani

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Exactly the player [ or type of player ] we need. Silva at City another example.
    I wouldnt give up on Hererra either yet
    Eriksen would be my number one target. Matic holding with Pogba/Eriksen ahead of him would be a formidable midfield.

Eriksen would be my number one target. Matic holding with Pogba/Eriksen ahead of him would be a formidable midfield.

lukaku

martial
    pogba
    eriksen
    rashford

matic

Nice

I just can't see anyone getting much out of Spurs without massively overpaying tbh. They'd have a few players I'd like, but none that are obtainable :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

unless spurs stadium overruns massivley and creates debt i cant see them selling to a PL rival unless its stupid money for erikkesen or kane

I just can't see anyone getting much out of Spurs without massively overpaying tbh. They'd have a few players I'd like, but none that are obtainable :/

if they dont start to pay the wages that the players know they can get somewhere else, it will become an issue for spurs

if they dont start to pay the wages that the players know they can get somewhere else, it will become an issue for spurs

Sure, eventually. But teams will still have to overpay to get their players even when that does happen.

Even without balancing books we have a pretty full squad at the minute. The League cap is 25 players so we cant exactly go out and sign 3 - 4 players without shipping others out. No point having a Schweinsteiger situation of paying wages to an unregistered player.

Sure, eventually. But teams will still have to overpay to get their players even when that does happen.

Harry Kane earns 120k a week and he is probably spurs highest paid player.. He would easily double/treble that at Utd, City Chelsea madrid psg. Players wont stay happy for long if they know they are being underpaid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I think kane will go foreign he would be a supeestar in Spain.

Harry Kane earns 120k a week and he is probably spurs highest paid player.. He would easily double/treble that at Utd, City Chelsea madrid psg. Players wont stay happy for long if they know they are being underpaid

Of course. Which is why I agreed initially.

But anyone who wants Kane will need to be prepared to spend 150m on him easily. Even if he threw a fit and demanded to leave (which I don't believe he would anyway), Levy will squeeze every penny out of the buying club.

jayo26 wrote: »
    I think kane will go foreign he would be a supeestar in Spain.

Madrid are the only team he would go to in spain. Barca are limited in what they could spend.

Kane would break Neymars record with Levy doing the negotiations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

No harm if a few players are off loaded in January's window.
    Plenty of players who just arent good enough for the squad imo.
    Sell to Buy isnt an issue ,squad needs changes.

I doubt much (if anything) will be done in January but 2 out 2 in would be nice.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Kane would break Neymars record with Levy doing the negotiations.

Unless he goes to psg or city then no he wont. No team can afford to pay over 200m for 1 player

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Jose has a very good base to his squad, worked well to move on the Morgans and next time he is making transfers needs to focus on an elite attacking player and full back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭secman

I said it at the time when we bought Lukaku that he was far from top drawer, City, Chelsea, spurs, Arsenal would not buy him, nor would Bayern Munich, Barca or RM. Was totally underwhelmed with us buying him. He's brutal at holding play up, first touch can often let him down. He would be good to have as a back up striker but not as our main one. And don't get me talking about route one to Fellani as a striker, Mourinho making a mockery of our style of play.
    Getting found out in big away games, messing with the lads heads, just short of telling them we're not good enough to compete , confidence is a fickle thing with many players. We were oozing with confidence before the Pool game.

No matter what the journos report now, I'm anticipating very little to no transfer business for the club in January. Whether we need additions then or not, it is generally not an ideal time to buy. I've long given up on getting excited about the January window.

That said, if AMadrid go out of the CL at the group stages, I would find it hard not to go through a frantic state of page refreshing at some point in January. Griezmann aside though, I won't be getting my hopes up.

As for selling players, unless it's to free-up funds to make a new signing, I wouldn't be using the mid-season window to chop the deadwood. Shaw, okay, but anyone who is actually playing regularly to semi-regularly for us so far should be seeing out the season, excepting a transfer request from the player of course.

Names mentioned in here...

Shaw - Absolutely, and probably the only one. But we'd likely get fúck-all cash for him for our 'sell to buy' fund.

Mkhi - I'm quite frustrated with his current form, but will give him a chance at the club until the end of the season. We mightn't like him so much right now, but Jose does like something. I'd be very surprised to see him go in January unless a replacement (Griezmann, Ozil) comes in.

Smalling - This just seems to be a 'who we in the thread ideally would like to see shipped out' rather than who the manager apparently would. Yes the team has Rojo coming back soon, but more defensive injuries will happen this season. Smalling won't be going anywhere in January IMO.

Mata - This just makes no sense and I think he is an underappreciated player in here. There is the potential to overrate him of course, but much more than that lately I've seen his name mentioned as an expendable. Jose does seem to like him (at United) though. He hasn't hit his full potential with us IMO, consistently at least, but he is such a smart and creative player who is capable of big game performances. Be it at 10 or drifting in from the right. He mightn't have scored much in 17/18 yet, but he was a regular in the team during our strongest period so far this season, and a regular in our strongest last season (around this time last year when it looked like we might be mounting a title challenge).

Darmian - He hasn't fully made his mark at the club in 2 seasons and there's persistently rumours of a move back to Italy, but I'd be hoping to hold onto all of our active squad defensive players until Summer. At 27, he's likely to look for a regular place somewhere soon though if not at United.

So I'm not arguing that any of these players definitely have what it takes to be part of a title-winning 11 at United (or another one in Smalling's case), or that their position could not be improved upon next Summer. Just, January isn't time to clear the deadwood or seek many reinforcements. Get rid of the odd bit of foliage which has barely blossomed on the tree (Shaw), yes, but not the potential roots of a good squad (Smalling, Mkhi, Mata).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

secman wrote: »
    I said it at the time when we bought Lukaku that he was far from top drawer, City, Chelsea, spurs, Arsenal would not buy him, nor would Bayern Munich, Barca or RM. Was totally underwhelmed with us buying him. He's brutal at holding play up, first touch can often let him down. He would be good to have as a back up striker but not as our main one. And don't get me talking about route one to Fellani as a striker, Mourinho making a mockery of our style of play.
    Getting found out in big away games, messing with the lads heads, just short of telling them we're not good enough to compete , confidence is a fickle thing with many players. We were oozing with confidence before the Pool game.

I think he was a good purchase as he was premiership proven and was available. However, making him our most important goal scorer is a mistake. We can't rely on him.

• Advertisement

My eyes are rolling so far back into my head, I can see behind me...

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

So international break, anyone wish it was just done and dusted with already.

That said the first International Rules game is on early Saturday morning. Something to look forward to over the International break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭secman

When you don't bury your head in the sand you tend not to get sand in them.....

Might as well join in ..........:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Remember the last international break when the thread was full of predictions where we'd trounce Liverpool by 3 or 4 goals for 2 weeks?

Oh how times have changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    So international break, anyone wish it was just done and dusted with already.

That said the first International Rules game is on early Saturday morning. Something to look forward to over the International break.

That International Rules series is absolute dog**** .Ruins two good sports .

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement