Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

People so quick to get rid of Jones for Rojo, I love Rojo but Phil will triumph!!

Long live King Jones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Adamocovic wrote: »
    People so quick to get rid of Jones for Rojo, I love Rojo but Phil will triumph!!

Long live King Jones!

I think it's not to get rid of Jones I'm happy he is back it's more so one extra body between lindleof and the defence.

If we can keep most of our important players fit we should go on a decent run over the next few months.

jayo26 wrote: »
    I think it's not to get rid of Jones I'm happy he is back it's more so one extra body between lindleof and the defence.

If we can keep most of our important players fit we should go on a decent run over the next few months.

Lindelof has been shaky but I haven't written him off completely. He may just need more time.

As of the moment I can't see Jones being dropped based on performances in the league. He wasn't great against Chelsea but no one really was.

Agree it will be brilliant to have Rojo back however. And if we persist with a back 3 for some games I imagine Smalling will lose his spot and we would see Bailly, Rojo and Jones.

Either way, I'm quietly optimistic. Think we needed a break after recent performances and if we can come back with Pogba and Rojo fit it will be a big boost.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Lindelof has been shaky but I haven't written him off completely. He may just need more time.

As of the moment I can't see Jones being dropped based on performances in the league. He wasn't great against Chelsea but no one really was.

Agree it will be brilliant to have Rojo back however. And if we persist with a back 3 for some games I imagine Smalling will lose his spot and we would see Bailly, Rojo and Jones.

Either way, I'm quietly optimistic. Think we needed a break after recent performances and if we can come back with Pogba and Rojo fit it will be a big boost.

Pogba is the big one to have back he should be fresh and raring to go now coming into the December fixtures same with ibra hasn't played for six months needs to build up his game time but should not be fatigued by the end of season anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Lad here in work saying there seems to be murmurs of Herrera to Athletico in January.

Can't say I'd be surprised, had a mare start to the season performance wise, dropped from the team by Matic and a few problems with Jose by all accounts. Would be someone I'd expect to get a decent fee for mind you

TheDoc wrote: »
    Lad here in work saying there seems to be murmurs of Herrera to Athletico in January.

Can't say I'd be surprised, had a mare start to the season performance wise, dropped from the team by Matic and a few problems with Jose by all accounts. Would be someone I'd expect to get a decent fee for mind you

Not so long ago murmurs of possible captaincy for him. Mad how quick things can change for a player.

This is a hard one for me. Love Herrera but fully understand the decision to sell him if it does happen.

TheDoc wrote: »

Hmmmm only if it was something similar to what happened with lukaku and Rooney.
    Give them Ander if we getting griezman at a reduced price.

I too would be pretty sad to see him go I was totally of the opinion that he was going to be an important midfielder for us this year I don't know if it's him or tactics but he has been a massive let down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Herrera won't be going anywhere in January, I have little to no doubt about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,170 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ander out Andreas recalled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,347 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Herrera is currently out of contract in the summer; but the club have an option to extend his contact for a further 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Herrera is currently out of contract in the summer; but the club have an option to extend his contact for a further 12 months.

Isnt Mata out of contract as well next summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Could be a lot of movement next summer. Ibrahimovic will need replacing as well.

Isnt Mata out of contract as well next summer?

seems to be the case alright - but we have a 12month extension option on his contract too.

Pereira back in and Herrera used to make Greizmann a bit easier to buy would be good turn of business in January.

• Advertisement

I'm sure he will get a job handy enough on the racism kick it out programme.

So Fellaini 'could' leave in January, Herrera too now. Sure who needs CMs? As long as we get Griezmann it's fine. He's probably even better in CM than Reus.

What I find strange is how blase people are about Herrera going anywhere? The guy has always done a perfectly good job for us, he has had 3/4 bad games and now people want rid?

There are players there that have been crap for years and people still talk them up as "top top" players, I think we can carry Herrera for a few more months, no?

Herrera has never been better then ok bar on the odd ocassion has never been a first team regular and is now behind fellaini in the pecking order. If he would help griezman get to the club all well and good.

Very likeable chap very ordinary footballer

He is our current player of the year...

What happened to having a squad full of good players for our busy schedule?

• Advertisement

Herrera has never been better then ok bar on the odd ocassion has never been a first team regular and is now behind fellaini in the pecking order. If he would help griezman get to the club all well and good.

Very likeable chap very ordinary footballer

You remember last season? Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year, MOTM in the Europa final, headline-making performance v Chelsea etc. He has been far better than ok, and was certainly a first team regular last season.

Maybe not with you MJ, because I don't know what your opinion was at the time, but there seems to be a lot of revisionism going on with Herrera in here. Where it's not enough for us to criticise his current form and his slow start to the season, we need to use it to rewrite history. After a poor run of games he's now someone we can just expend in January to get in a star player in a different position? That's mad.

Especially when you then look at how scarce our CM roster can become once a couple of injuries are picked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Jones down injured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Phil jones does a great clearance immediately goes off with an injury

Sums him up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Read that he started with a strapped up thigh and that's what he went down with. That true?

Playing with a knock in a pointless friendly. He's a bloody idiot and so is Southgate if it is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

J. Marston wrote: »
    Read that he started with a strapped up thigh and that's what he went down with. That true?

Playing with a knock in a pointless friendly. He's a bloody idiot and so is Southgate if it is true.

Think he strapped it up after 10 mins

You remember last season? Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year, MOTM in the Europa final, headline-making performance v Chelsea etc. He has been far better than ok, and was certainly a first team regular last season.

Maybe not with you MJ, because I don't know what your opinion was at the time, but there seems to be a lot of revisionism going on with Herrera in here. Where it's not enough for us to criticise his current form and his slow start to the season, we need to use it to rewrite history. After a poor run of games he's now someone we can just expend in January to get in a star player in a different position? That's mad.

Especially when you then look at how scarce our CM roster can become once a couple of injuries are picked up.

I'm not saying get rid of him and maybe I sounded a bit harsh, he isn't a top level footballer like he doesn't really excell at much while being decent at everything. I was replying to Buckley with the reasons why people wouldn't be overly upset to see him leave. As I said I do love his passion and would like him to stay just wouldn't be overly mad if he left.

What would people rate as his best attribute as a midfielder, tracking players runs? He is all round decent in my books is all.

Edit

I meant has Herrera ever been first 11 without injuries not that he wasn't ever regularly starting

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I love Herrera.

At the same time, if you asked me to choose between keeping Herrera, or using him to make the Griezmann deal go through easier and quicker, I'd choose Griezmann in a split second.

Ander is going to be player of the month for December now ain't he.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

We need players like Ander. He's a cynical little git by times and isn't afraid to get ugly in games. He also manages to get away with it most of the time. Players like that are vital and he adds a different piece to the jigsaw. Grand he has been a bit out of sorts in the games he's played this season but he is an important squad player.

With respect, this is the sort of thing I meant, a run of bad form and now our player of the season is implied to be little more than the "gritty" sort of player every squad needs.

I'm not having it. Is he Roy Keane or Xavi? No, but he is a hell of a lot better than he is getting credit for right now.

• Advertisement

Also when did a club's player of the year become a measure of someone's footballing ability.

That being said it's a pretty decent list of players DeGea on 3 level with Ronaldo surely he will stay to take the crown :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Looks like Bale is injured again and may be out for another month. As keen as I was for him to sign during the summer, definitely dodged a bullet there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Quality finish by Big Rom :P Hopefully he can pick up his goal scoring in the next few games but he really needs to make an impact in the big games if we want to challenge this season

https://twitter.com/mufcgif/status/929093094749949953

Quality finish by Big Rom :P Hopefully he can pick up his goal scoring in the next few games but he really needs to make an impact in the big games if we want to challenge this season

https://twitter.com/mufcgif/status/929093094749949953

Jaysus Danny Welbeck would be proud of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,775 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Ander is a great fella to have in the squad. Superb attitude and gets stuck in when he plays.

However, if we're looking to win a title he's not up to that standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Great too see RedRom regaining his form tonight with 2 goals and a assist. His first goal it's just what he needed,when your going through a dry spell. Lovely finish for his second. Give him the service and he'll get you 25+ league goals. We're still too see the best of him yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,170 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Hey I love Ander and was mooting him as a possible captain contender. But his performances have fallen of a cliff. Maybe he feels put out Matic took his starting spot, or that he dropped out of our first XI and just lost a massive chunk of confidence he is a radically different player now than he was last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

To think United fans where comparing Ander Herrea to Roy Keane.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The Times: United will sell Shaw for £20 million when the window opens.

The Telegraph: United to extend contracts of Mata,Herrera,Young and Blind until the end of next season.

• Advertisement

The Times: United will sell Shaw for £20 million when the window opens.

The Telegraph: United to extend contracts of Mata,Herrera,Young* and Blind* until the end of next season.

It'll be good going getting 20m for Shaw*,

A lot of players coming to the end of their contracts in the Summer or the following. Even if they're not going to be kept by the club, you would think they would be renewing them to keep a resale value. Add Fellani, Carrick & Zlatan to that list for 2018 and the deGea*, Jones, Rojo, Smalling, Martial*, Darmian*, and Valencia, you would wonder what is going on that so many are in that position.
    That's half the squad, granted 2/3 will be leaving anyway MC &ZI, and some only squad options, but a lot of players potentially replaced, so more settling needed.

* Indicates club have a further year option. From transfermarket.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I’d be amazed if we didn’t have to offload Shaw on a free and pay some of his wages to get rid of him, he is living the dream at the moment earning 100k plus a week and not expected to do anything.

On Ander leaving, he is a good squad player, he is limited though in what he can do and you probably won’t win the league with him being a starting XI player. Surely if he leaves in January it will be a swap for one of Atleticos forward players. Our season really depends on who we can sign in January, I don’t see anyone else stepping up and Pogba isn’t a massive difference maker as we saw last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

I’d be amazed if we didn’t have to offload Shaw on a free and pay some of his wages to get rid of him, he is living the dream at the moment earning 100k plus a week and not expected to do anything.

On Ander leaving, he is a good squad player, he is limited though in what he can do and you probably won’t win the league with him being a starting XI player. Surely if he leaves in January it will be a swap for one of Atleticos forward players. Our season really depends on who we can sign in January, I don’t see anyone else stepping up and Pogba isn’t a massive difference maker as we saw last season.

We should be getting 30m for Shaw in the current market. Even with no game time he is young and someone will take him.

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    We should be getting 30m for Shaw in the current market. Even with no game time he is young and someone will take him.

Not a chance. A top club don't need to gamble on Shaw they can gamble on potential instead of potential and fitness a lesser club wouldn't gamble 30 million on him it would be crazy.

Not a chance. A top club don't need to gamble on Shaw they can gamble on potential instead of potential and fitness a lesser club wouldn't gamble 30 million on him it would be crazy.

Yeah, I'd be surprised if we get over £15m, I think it'll be 10-12 m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

paulbok wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd be surprised if we get over £15m, I think it'll be 10-12 m

No point in selling for that little. We should get what we paid for him, especially in todays market. If he was 29 or something then maybe not but still so young.

• Advertisement

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    No point in selling for that little. We should get what we paid for him, especially in todays market. If he was 29 or something then maybe not but still so young.

Well there is no point in selling him he has 18 months left on contract he is injury prone... personally I'd give him six months out on loan to get him playing regular then if he comes threw that get him back in the squad for next season if he does well give him new contract and he will be easily worth 30 million or else leave him go at end if season for nothing.

But for 10 or 15 million he ain't worth selling when we can take the gamble our selves and try get him back on track.

We up to what, 4 different managers who have now publicly questioned his fitness and attitude? He has 29 PL in starts in 4 years and about 4 good performances in total. He is a full back who can't get a game even when his club is crying out for a good left full back.

There is no way anybody with a lick of sense spends 30 million on a full back with that sort of background. I've frequently complained that United don't squeeze enough cash out of their sales but even I know that Shaw isn't going to bring in any money worth talking about.

If you want to put a figure on him just look at the Fabio and Rafael price ranges, two other young, talented and highly rated full backs moved on in recent times.

But for 10 or 15 million he ain't worth selling when we can take the gamble our selves and try get him back on track.

Or take the 10 million and bump up the offer for Griezmann, would be a more sensible sweetener than offering them Herrera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Is Evra banned from playing domestic football?

Or take the 10 million and bump up the offer for Griezmann, would be a more sensible sweetener than offering them Herrera.

They wont be any bumping up of griezmann he has a buy out clause if he wants to join us it's straight forward.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement