Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

bangkok wrote: »
    Go back and read it again.... i said may be in place.

Ok that is saying a deal may be in place but did you believe a deal was in place? Or were you just posting something that may or may not be true so you could come back to it at a later date and say ohhh i said that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Just look at Klopp for example, one of the biggest reputations in world football but doing no better than Brendan Rogers did.

He would have been Utd manager after Fergie had he been available. Imagine :rolleyes:

Poch has managed to stabilise Spurs and make them competitive in the Top 4 race. He's a good manager. He is also overrated as fúck.

Poch has managed to stabilise Spurs and make them competitive in the Top 4 race. He's a good manager. He is also overrated as fúck.

I dont think he is over rated at all i think he is a top class manager and doing a great job for the club he is with now. Maybe he should be winning something this season but in comparison to what he has spent to the club's he is competing with you would have to say he is extracting the maximum from the home grown players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

How is he over rated?

• Advertisement

Tylerdurex wrote: »
    People really act like children in here sometimes

Im telling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

I like him as a manager and think in time he could be a good fit for us, but for me he has to start winning trophies, he has spent a fair bit of money and alot of his signings have not come off.. the pressure is tiny at Spurs compared to Utd, Cannot see Spurs winning anything this season and can see alot of players wanting to move on it the summer,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    I like him as a manager and think in time he could be a good fit for us, but for me he has to start winning trophies

Indeed. Lots of managers have shaped a club around them and done well with a group of players, but apart from winning nothing Pochettino's Spurs are also the club that once came third in a two horse race. Spurs fell away when in contention with Leicester for that Premier league title, that shouldn't ignored when wondering if this is a manager that will bring a far bigger club to league success.

Poch has done well at spurs, and they have a great first team there. he will get a shot at a top team and deservedly so but he hasn't won anything of note yet and until he does won't be considered a top manager.

Even our over the hill outdated hoofball manager managed to bag a couple of trophies last season before he retires :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Uhhhh what the fcuk is Paul Pogba doing presenting an award at the MTV EMA awards tonight hahaha :p:p

Didn't see that coming at all

• Advertisement

Uhhhh what the fcuk is Paul Pogba doing presenting an award at the MTV EMA awards tonight hahaha :p:p

Didn't see that coming at all

He there with his brothers I think he he gets around.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Pogba asked a couple of questions at the MTV European Music Awards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Do people here give a fük about the MTV awards?

jayo26 wrote: »
    I dont think he is over rated at all i think he is a top class manager and doing a great job for the club he is with now. Maybe he should be winning something this season but in comparison to what he has spent to the club's he is competing with you would have to say he is extracting the maximum from the home grown players.

Not even a bit, just a teeny-tiny tinkle?

Spurs have done tremendous business selling players. So good that it often masks the fact that they've spent about £340m on players in the last 5 years. They've sold £338m worth of players in that time. I'm not sure how much of that £340m was spent in Poch's time at the club, but Spurs appear to be the 5th highest PL spenders (gross) in the last 5 years.

Source: http://www.transferleague.co.uk/tottenham-hotspur/english-football-teams/tottenham-hotspur-transfers

My response to bangkok might be relevant to some of your other points...

How is he over rated?

Because of the amount of **** that goes on over him in general compared to what he has actually achieved. For example, his team get a 1-1 draw away to an out-of-form RM team, and next thing there are essays being written on his genius.

What has he won? PL manager of the month on a few occasions. Don't get me wrong, I like him and as I said, I think he is a good manager. I just feel he has reached a status with the mainstream where it suggests that he has a glittering CV, or even a shiny one.

I felt the PL was there for the taking for Spurs that season Leicester won it. Sure, a 2nd place finish for Spurs is progress. In the context of that season though, Poch and Spurs failed by the time the season finished.

The League Cup isn't something to make that CV glitter on its own, but it is a step and a necessary one for a trophy-starved club like Spurs. Also, trophy wins are good for the fans. To hear Poch recently dismiss the League Cup brought about 'Beggars can't be choosers' connotations in my mind. Sure, which manager wouldn't want to win "real trophies" like the Premier League and Champions League? But to dismiss a genuine trophy when your trophy cabinet is currently empty and your players haven't tasted tangible success, it seems a bit of a short-sighted point of view to hold.

He wants the PL, CL, or nothing. Admirable. However, the PL isn't like that year Leicester won it, it's highly competitive in the Top 4. As for the CL, that is a fúcking moonshot for Spurs at this stage TBH. A League Cup win wouldn't send a deafening message around European Football, but it would boost the club's morale and the team's confidence. It gives players a genuine taste of tangible success, and that can help them going forward.

Look at our FA Cup win under LVG. A lot of those players hadn't won a trophy with Manchester United until that day. I said it at the time - Even though the club is still in shít, this Cup win should help the players mentality in the future. The following season, they won two trophies. Of course, there's no way to know, or to measure, how much that FA Cup win gave them the desire to get over the line in the League/Europa Cup, but I seriously doubt it did them any harm. We talk about a winning mentality, 'proven winners', it has to mean something.

Poch and Spurs have a good thing going, potentially great, but I feel that a League/FA Cup would serve them very well. Poch is certainly not interested in the LC though, it appears to be beneath him.

Elsewhere, there are the players, or one in particular. Brendan Rodgers almost brought Liverpool to a PL title. Yet, the man is often derided as a bit of a joke, even by the club's own fans. By their own declaration - "Yeah, fair play to BR for that, but he had Suarez for a striker".

Ok, Spurs are a far more than a one man team (and Liverpool weren't a one man team that season IMO) but there is no denying that Poch is greatly aided by the fact that he has an on-fire Harry Kane in his team. Of course, Poch has done very well to build a team which gets not just the best from Harry, but others in the Spurs attacking line-up. However, Harry Kane is worth points on the table for any good manager and team he'll play for. Where might Spurs/Poch be without him?

Overall, Poch carries and conducts himself very well. He is a good (potentially top) manager, one I wouldn't mind seeing as United manager someday if he wins something meaningful in the meantime. I just think as it is at the moment though, both the media and fans alike can go overboard in their praise for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭secman

"I felt the PL was there for the taking for Spurs that season Leicester won it. Sure, a 2nd place finish for Spurs is progress."

They actually finished 3rd in a two horse race !

secman wrote: »
    "I felt the PL was there for the taking for Spurs that season Leicester won it. Sure, a 2nd place finish for Spurs is progress."

They actually finished 3rd in a two horse race !

I was thinking that was possible and I should have double-checked it. 3rd in a two horse race :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

AS now reporting Bale is up for sale. Real have grown tired of his injuries and have put a £65m price tag on him.

He won't go for that. His injury is too much of a liability. I can see a team a tier below Real trying to grab him if they could get him on loan or round £40m.

Would you take a cut price Bale who'd be amazing for the half the season he'd play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,347 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Lord TSC wrote: »
    AS now reporting Bale is up for sale. Real have grown tired of his injuries and have put a £65m price tag on him.

He won't go for that. His injury is too much of a liability. I can see a team a tier below Real trying to grab him if they could get him on loan or round £40m.

Would you take a cut price Bale who'd be amazing for the half the season he'd play?

Yikes.

Can't believe things have changed so much in just a few months that we would go from a situation that there was no way in hell, under any circumstances, for any reason, that Madrid would have even considered selling him in the summer for 100+million, to this.

he is getting older and his injury problems are actually getting worse. wouldnt touch him at this stage. plenty of class players you could sign for the money being quoted that dont have injury problems like he does

Yikes.

Can't believe things have changed so much in just a few months that we would go from a situation that there was no way in hell, under any circumstances, for any reason, that Madrid would have even considered selling him in the summer for 100+million, to this.

Reading through the comments on Reddit from Real fans, they are frustrated, less because of Bale himself, more because he keeps getting rushed back and playing too many games. There's zero attempt there to manage his issues, and they wonder if a different medical staff would have more luck with him.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

Wouldn't touch him and wouldn't want to deal with that dodgy shower either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I'd take Bale for £40 to £50m in a heartbeat. As LTSC said, manage his injuries and he could get back to the top of his game again. He is relatively young and we are crying out for a player like him.

he is getting older and his injury problems are actually getting worse. wouldnt touch him at this stage. plenty of class players you could sign for the money being quoted that dont have injury problems like he does

You wouldn't touch him... but 4 months ago Madrid would have been INSANE to even think about considering selling him.

Despite him being a sicknote.
    Despite the form Isco showed last season.
    Despite the for Asensio shows.
    Despite the possibility they could have brough Mbappe in as his replacement.

They never considered selling him (not once, according to you) despite all that, but you wouldn't touch him?

I'd take Bale for £40 to £50m in a heartbeat. As LTSC said, manage his injuries and he could get back to the top of his game again. He is relatively young and we are crying out for a player like him.

Would prefer we spent more on Greizmann.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Would prefer we spent more on Greizmann.

I’d prefer we bought both and play Greizmann as a SS.. :D

Lukaku
    Martial/Rashford-Greizmann-Bale
    Pogba-Matic

You wouldn't touch him... but 4 months ago Madrid would have been INSANE to even think about considering selling him.

Despite him being a sicknote.
    Despite the form Isco showed last season.
    Despite the for Asensio shows.
    Despite the possibility they could have brough Mbappe in as his replacement.

They never considered selling him (not once, according to you) despite all that, but you wouldn't touch him?

i said he would not be sold as he didnt want to move and guess what, he wasnt sold and didnt move.

as you and i both know, 4 months is a VERY long time in football.....

Neymar left barca just over 3 months ago and there are already rumours that he is unhappy and wants to go back to spain with Madrid looking the likely destination.

I see we are having our usual international break meltdowns
    Good read tho :P

Man Utd probably has the worst record in the league for keeping players fit, so i dont see how we would keep an extremely injury prone player fit at the club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Simply put, we need a certain type of attacking player and Bale fits the requirements and profile we need so absolutely perfectly that we would want to think long and hard before passing up any opportunity to get him.

• Advertisement

If he was available for 40 to 50 million I'd take him no problem it's a gamble but I'd take him.

That's about the same price as one gylfi siggurdson for fek sake.

i said he would not be sold as he didnt want to move and guess what, he wasnt sold and didnt move.

as you and i both know, 4 months is a VERY long time in football.....

Neymar left barca just over 3 months ago and there are already rumours that he is unhappy and wants to go back to spain with Madrid looking the likely destination.

No - You said Madrid would never consider selling him.

I gave all those reasons why Madrid would consider it and you said: No, they would never consider selling him cause he was way too good to be sold.

he has missed 40 of the last 60 games for Madrid... 85m for that?? no thanks

Where are you getting 85m from

astradave wrote: »

all of yesterdays papers had that price listed

Price being quoted in the press is 80-85 million EURO, so bout 65-70m pound.

Mind, thats their starting price. He'll go well below that.

Could see a James situation where they let him go out on loan with an option to buy. If he goes for anything beyond £45m Id be shocked.

• Advertisement

So when you said in the summer he was in the prime of his career did you really believe that? Did you really believe when you said he was still better then assensio and isco? Did you believe when you said madrid had no reason to sell him?

Or has your total opinion of a player changed because he had got another injury?

all of yesterdays papers had that price listed

The mirror reported that..

Most/if not all in here are saying that if he is available for 40/50m they would take him, no one is advocating spending 85m on him

So when you said in the summer he was in the prime of his career did you really believe that? Did you really believe when you said he was still better then assensio and isco? Did you believe wheb you said madrid had no reason to sell him?

Or has your total opinion of a player changed because he had got another injury?

he is in the prime of his career but he happens to be injured...again

when fit he still is better than both isco and asensio....hence why he was not sold

last summer they absolutely had no reason to sell him, la liga champions, champions league double winners, eufa super cup winners, fifa world club winners

he just signed a new contract extension making him one of the best paid players in the world https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/oct/30/gareth-bale-real-madrid-new-contract-2022

The mirror reported that..

Most/if not all in here are saying that if he is available for 40/50m they would take him, no one is advocating spending 85m on him

which he is not so pointless saying it

which he is not so pointless saying it

FFS.

YOU DON'T KNOW THAT.

STOP EXPRESSING YOUR OPINION AS 100% FACT ALL THE TIME.

You have zero idea what he will go for. Madrid may want X fee, but if no one offers them that they may accept X(-y) fee.

YOU DON'T KNOW.

• Advertisement

FFS.

YOU DON'T KNOW THAT.

STOP EXPRESSING YOUR OPINION AS 100% FACT ALL THE TIME.

You have zero idea what he will go for. Madrid may want X fee, but if no one offers them that they may accept X(-y) fee.

YOU DON'T KNOW.

im saying what the papers are saying. that is the price listed

he is in the prime of his career but he happens to be injured...again

when fit he still is better than both isco and asensio....hence why he was not sold

last summer they absolutely had no reason to sell him, la liga champions, champions league double winners, eufa super cup winners, fifa world club winners

he just signed a new contract extension making him one of the best paid players in the world https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/oct/30/gareth-bale-real-madrid-new-contract-2022

So your ready to say he is all that and you wouldn't touch him because he has got one more injury since then? You wouldn't take a gamble on him?

im saying what the papers are saying. that is the price listed

So you are taking the papers as gospel here - but when they were saying in the summer Madrid were considering selling him you were 100% positive they were 100% lying because there was 0% chance madrid would ever have considered selling him.

BRILLIANT.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I see we are having our usual international break meltdowns
    Good read tho :P

Shut ur face :pac:

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Papers told us we signed Garay and Gaitan

So your ready to say he is all that and you wouldn't touch him because he has got one more injury since then? You wouldn't take a gamble on him?

at 85m no chance

So you are taking the papers as gospel here - but when they were saying in the summer Madrid were considering selling him you were 100% positive they were 100% lying because there was 0% chance madrid would ever have considered selling him.

BRILLIANT.

they never sold him LIKE I SAID THEY WOULDNT

pjohnson wrote: »
    Papers told us we signed Garay and Gaitan

Papers also told us we are going for Pogba.

they never sold him LIKE I SAID THEY WOULDNT

You said they would never consider selling him.

So Arsenal never had any thoughts over the summer of selling Sanchez to City?

cause he didn't sign for City, so that must mean Arsenal never considered selling him, ever. Right? Cause thats how it works. If someone isn't sold, then their club never considered selling them. Obviously.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement