Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Nice quip. Two more outlets are reporting today a deal is now very close so it looks like LeSport10 of a Tuesday during a November international break where indeed the first to correctly report on it.

Which outlets would they be?

This is all Neymars fault

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

ID say Grizeman just didn't - doesn't want to come to us full stop. Maybe afraid he'll e deployed as a full back

Robson99 wrote: »
    ID say Grizeman just didn't - doesn't want to come to us full stop. Maybe afraid he'll e deployed as a full back

So the reports in the summer to us were made up do you reckon but the ones linking him to Barcelona now are true? If so how do you tell?

Or do you think he was too scared to tell us he didn't want to join in the summer In case he would hurt our feelings.

Selective belief of news reports to spin ones narrative is always amusing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The morning papers saying Zlatan and Pogba are pushing for places in Saturday's squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

astradave wrote: »
    The reports are that United are unwilling to listen to offers in January and still think that they will have a breakthrough in negotiations and that’s why they are willing to allow his contract to get into the last 6 months..

Did they use a contract extension clause on him last season? Surely he has one available to be used if not.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Nice quip. Two more outlets are reporting today a deal is now very close so it looks like LeSport10 of a Tuesday during a November international break where indeed the first to correctly report on it.

I didn't have the benefit of an extra 24 hours of that story developing with new outlets and a reliable journo reporting it when I made my post. You did. Thankfully you used that power responsibly to report this news and give your opinion on it. Rather than just attempt to use it as a smug one-up on a poster who has no problem with you.
    Which outlets would they be?

It's been running with a few outlets since Monday evening, like Le10Sport. The story began to gather steam and credibility when a journo called Fernando Polo ran an article late on Tuesday night for Mundo Deportivo. MD as an outlet don't have the best reputation overall, but Fernando Polo is highly rated among Barca fans on Reddit for being reliable with recent transfers...
    I've posted this as a thread due to how reliable Fernando was for us this summer. He was the only one (from what I've seen) who only called it if it actually happened. He said nothing about Coutinho, Seri, etc. However, I remember him saying something about Semedo and then a couple of hours later everyone else was talking about it. He also called Dembele early on.

Thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/Barca/comments/7d3y6u/fernando_polo_barcelona_and_griezmann_are_very/

With Polo's name now attached, observers are starting to take this a bit more seriously. This is a brief article on the situation which sums up what has been reported by Polo, and comments on his reputation...

https://www.barcablaugranes.com/2017/11/15/16655912/antoine-griezmann-transfer-atletico-madrid-to-barcelona-rumor-agreement

If Griezmann ends up at Barca at the end of this saga after being almost certain to join United all along, I'll be a little crestfallen tbh. No one player alone will fix everything with our attack, but Griezmann would be a big help.

Did they use a contract extension clause on him last season? Surely he has one available to be used if not.

They activated that last year and then entered negotiations with him over a new contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Har har nice one well done

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Barca over us is a no brainer tbh.

They have a massive bloody nose after last summer's transfer debacles between Neymar and Coutinho and they have a big wad of money to spend.

They will want to make a big statement in the transfer market after being humiliated in the summer.

He would be a a great signing but fuggit, move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

If the Barca interest is legitimate, which you'd expect it is as he would be a great addition to their squad, then we are f*cked because there's no way he is picking us over them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

So the reports in the summer to us were made up do you reckon but the ones linking him to Barcelona now are true? If so how do you tell?

Or do you think he was too scared to tell us he didn't want to join in the summer In case he would hurt our feelings.

Selective belief of news reports to spin ones narrative is always amusing

Id say that the loyalty to Athletico was an excuse. If he really wanted to come he would have and MY OPINION is if he goes to Barca then we were never his preference.
    Maybe he watches us play and doesnt like what hes sees

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Id say that the loyalty to Athletico was an excuse. If he really wanted to come he would have and MY OPINION is if he goes to Barca then we were never his preference.
    Maybe he watches us play and doesnt like what hes sees

I disagree.

When he was set to join us, Barca weren't in the mix; they still had their main three since the Neymar deal was still only a whisper on the wind. He stayed cause of the transfer ban.

Come Xmas, the ban is up, but now Barca ARE in the mix; Neymar is gone, Suarez is on his way out, and they had a disaster of the summer transfer window. They will want a big name signing now, and €100m in the current market is insane value of a Griezmann like player, given the prices they were being quoted by the end of the window for the likes of Coutinho.

Don't retroactively write history cause things don't work out for United; it sucks, sure, but if he ends up at Barca, it will be because circumstances have changed since he stayed at A.Madrid out of loyalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Ahh international break is over ..... I missed ye neggy fekers:)

If zlatan and pogba are in the squad the weekend I'd be fuking over the moon.

Happy birthday too my favourite ginger person after my daughter

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbjPHnGloPe/

• Advertisement

I’d love for us to do a PSG and if Barca try sign Greizmann we just activate Messi’s release clause :pac:

jayo26 wrote: »
    Happy birthday too my favourite ginger person after my daughter

Thanks but It’s not my birthday till June

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Phil Jones was asked about him being injury prone recently. They mentioned the niggle he got earlier in the season, the final quote is gas.
    Jones said:

"That wasn’t an injury, I just rolled my ankle a little — but that’s what I mean.
    It’s a fine line. People think you’re injured. I’m not injured, I’m just carrying a little niggle.
    But people think, ‘Oh he’s injured, he’s got an ankle problem."

“It doesn’t mean you’re injured, you’re managing it for the next game. Injuries get misinterpreted.
    I could give you a list of 40 Premier League players who’ve had far more injuries than me and nobody talks about them.
    Maybe that’s because I play for United and that’s the way it is. But I’ve never seen myself as that.”

Critics have pointed to his all-action style contributing to his knocks.

He said: “My wife is always saying I’m clumsy but that’s little stuff around the house. I two-foot her in the kitchen!”

Go on Phil ya legend!

4ece3c35602e92d675611988d34b6cf387ca16b28de207f5c46be304bc583195.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I could give you a list of 40 Premier League players who’ve had far more injuries than me and nobody talks about them.

Show me how many games those 40 missed, how many times they had to be substituted during a game, and how many times they were unavailable when badly needed and maybe I would agree with his point...

• Advertisement

Show me how many games those 40 missed, how many times they had to be substituted during a game, and how many times they were unavailable when badly needed and maybe I would agree with his point...

He'll end up missing a view games anyway trying to tot all of that up :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Cotts72

reading there that apparently Benfica are willing to sell Grimaldo to us in January for €35mill...tbh I've no idea what he's like

Whens the lastime the papers DIDNT have us linked to Benfica player?

Cotts72 wrote: »
    reading there that apparently Benfica are willing to sell Grimaldo to us in January for €35mill...tbh I've no idea what he's like

I checked. It made grim reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

United profits up, revenue up...
    Net Debt as of 30 September 2017 was £268.1 million, a decrease of £69.6 million over the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,347 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Cotts72 wrote: »

looked very good against us.

We do need a left back (if Shaw isn't going to play and earn it).

Very highly rated, but so is Lindelof! I think it could be Grimaldo or Tierney(sp) at Celtic we go for.

looked very good against us.

We do need a left back (if Shaw isn't going to play and earn it).

Very highly rated, but so is Lindelof! I think it could be Grimaldo or Tierney(sp) at Celtic we go for.

Much rather Tierney myself but can't see him leaving Celtic any time soon and I actually hope he stays there for a good while and continues to improve before making a move.

Only last month signed a contract up until 2023. Don't see him staying that long but he loves Celtic and is making a name for himself. The smarter move would be to stay there for another couple of seasons at least and grow as a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,347 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Much rather Tierney myself but can't see him leaving Celtic any time soon and I actually hope he stays there for a good while and continues to improve before making a move.

Only last month signed a contract up until 2023. Don't see him staying that long but he loves Celtic and is making a name for himself. The smarter move would be to stay there for another couple of seasons at least and grow as a player.

Dunno how much growing he will do at Celtic.

Tierney also captained Scotland over this break.

I checked. It made grim reading.

If we sign him we may just grim and bare it......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

ive seen it all now, headline on sky, "Mendes favourite to sign Ali"

Dunno how much growing he will do at Celtic.

Personally just see it as a better spot for him to grow at the moment. He's creating a name for himself, getting regular football and Champions League experience against the top teams.

If he moved now he would run the risk of falling down the same path many talented youngsters have before by moving to a team with more money at it's disposal and seeing a reduction in game time and more than likely form, which can derail a players career a little.

Think at his age and potential, it would be best for his growth to continue getting consistent game time at Celtic. He is a player I would love for us to have eventually like I said but unless we bought him and loaned him back to Celtic I would be a bit cautious. His recent contract extension has me doubting that's an option however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The Black away Jersey was the fastest selling away kit the club ever released.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

I didn't have the benefit of an extra 24 hours of that story developing with new outlets and a reliable journo reporting it when I made my post. You did. Thankfully you used that power responsibly to report this news and give your opinion on it. Rather than just attempt to use it as a smug one-up on a poster who has no problem with you.

I never thought you had a problem with me. The smugness of your post (and ponitless-ness, because reliable news cant be reported on in November during international week right? I guess we can ignore the stories too of Fellaini and Eriksen or anything this month?) in which you dismissed the article deserved addressing I thought. but anyway...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

The Black away Jersey was the fastest selling away kit the club ever released.

Its a crackin jersey though, got it myself not long before it was out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

AidoEirE wrote: »
    Its a crackin jersey though, got it myself not long before it was out.

Not a fan of the black one. Grey one is great!

Zlatan thinks he will be the no10 position when he comes back from injury

bangkok wrote: »
    Zlatan thinks he will be the no10 position when he comes back from injury

That's that sorted so.

That's that sorted so.

will be much better than mkhitarayan is at present

• Advertisement

Think he sees the position more of a SS rather than an AM

Romero would probably be a better 10 than Mkhitaryan the last few games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

pjohnson wrote: »
    Romero would probably be a better 10 than Mkhitaryan the last few games.

Good positioning and distribution

Think he sees the position more of a SS rather than an AM

Lions don't do second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

That's that sorted so.

A role I wanted to see him in last season, not sure we can actually carry his lack of mobility there though.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

Serious question but how would Wes Houlahan do as number 10 in our team . I bet hed be better than miki is right now

• Advertisement

A role I wanted to see him in last season, not sure we can actually carry his lack of mobility there though.

Ya I was thinking about that if he is to play as a 10 who takes up his pressing the wingers? Can't be the midfielders as it would pull us out of shape too much and Lukaku can't be expected to drop back and do it.

So maybe he will play in a 352 with Zlatan dropping back when we are in possession and Lukaku drops back when out of possession to do the pressing (not that I think much of his pressing but he at least can in theory do it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Ya I was thinking about that if he is to play as a 10 who takes up his pressing the wingers? Can't be the midfielders as it would pull us out of shape too much and Lukaku can't be expected to drop back and do it.

So maybe he will play in a 352 with Zlatan dropping back when we are in possession and Lukaku drops back when out of possession to do the pressing (not that I think much of his pressing but he at least can in theory do it)

Yeah but where does Wessi fit in?

Liam O wrote: »
    Yeah but where does Wessi fit in?

Left back.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Tylerdurex wrote: »
    Serious question but how would Wes Houlahan do as number 10 in our team . I bet hed be better than miki is right now

I believe we will see a different Mikhi altogether when Pogba comes back in.

I also would not be at all surprised that the reason Jose kept him in the team despite being septic was down to the players confidence as in if he was dropped straight away it could set him back further.

I believe we will see a different Mikhi altogether when Pogba comes back in.

I also would not be at all surprised that the reason Jose kept him in the team despite being septic was down to the players confidence as in if he was dropped straight away it could set him back further.

If either thing was actually true, then I would put my boot through his hole so as to help him through the door.

A senior player who can't perform without another specific player in the team, who can't handle getting dropped despite some utter ****e performances, thats the sort of lilly livered crap that has put us where we are today.

If he can't play without Pogba then he isn't worth a ****, get rid.

"If" of course.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement