Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Sunday papers:

PSG will have to pay between £20-30 million compo if they want Jose.

United are looking at Willian if he is leaving Chelsea this Winter.

The club are bracing themselves for a fresh bid from Madrid for De Gea.

limnam wrote: »
    Such BS.

Lei a goal up against 10 men, different game.

what a clown.

Embarrassing from the ref
    The difference between 3 points and a loss that ****ty call IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

adox wrote: »
    Ah now don’t be making stuff up about me. That reads as increadibly patronizing.

It's not meant as patronizing far from it I genuinely believe that you underestimate his importance to the team and how it's set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I highly disagree with you adox on this one(as in Pogbas impact). The difference Pogba brings to the team is night and day
    And it ends up taking off the stress and focus put on rashford and martial

That’s fine Mick. It’s obvious yourself Jayo, Giggsy etc think I undervalue Pogba, just as I think some of you overvalue him(and underestimate the Utd squad). None of that was the issue at all. What I took issue with was Jayos suggestion that I couldn’t look at it with an open mind, implying I’m not being impartial in my view.

I found it condescending in its tone and a cheap way of dismissing someone’s opinion.

That’s fine Mick. It’s obvious yourself Jayo, Giggsy etc think I undervalue Pogba, just as I think some of you overvalue him(and underestimate the Utd squad). None of that was the issue at all. What I took issue with was Jayos suggestion that I couldn’t look at it with an open mind, implying I’m not being impartial in my view.

I found it condescending in its tone and a cheap way of dismissing someone’s opinion.

Adox it's because the original discussion we have had about it and ever since then his input has been pretty much put asside by you as to why the team maybe failing to create as much chances lately and looking over run in midfield sure the team should be able step up without him but they Don't!!

I did not mean it in any way patronizing or anything else It's my beliefe that your not looking at it with an open mind and at least I'm calling it to you straight out I am not saying it with a little dig or anything.

Your original view on this remember is that for me to say that the reason the team didn't function in a game without pogba was been lazy in an opinion or something along them lines i was one of the first to call it then and as time has gone on it's become more and more obvious.

I'm not making little digs or anything at you apart from that one night and I apologised for it next day I'm been straight out in what I think on the matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Pogba played in 10 of our draws and 3 losses in the league last season, he isn’t a messiah. He is extremely talented but often doesn’t apply that talent to help win matches. I have to agree that he can’t be in a midfield two and needs to be as far up the pitch as possible to get the best out of him.

The lads did brilliantly yesterday, but it’s always in the back of your mind when the next slip up is going to come with City 8 points ahead. We have two must wins before we play Arsenal and City.

Pogba played in 10 of our draws and 3 losses in the league last season, he isn’t a messiah. He is extremely talented but often doesn’t apply that talent to help win matches. I have to agree that he can’t be in a midfield two and needs to be as far up the pitch as possible to get the best out of him.

The lads did brilliantly yesterday, but it’s always in the back of your mind when the next slip up is going to come with City 8 points ahead. We have two must wins before we play Arsenal and City.

See that's a simple comparison but the reasons we drew last season was because we didn't finish chances not because we didn't create them.

This season when pogba was missing we created very little quality chances per game compared to when he is in it.

Of course he ain't a mesiah we won't win the league just because pogba is back in the team but we won't be anywhere near as bad as we were when he was missing as long long as we keep him fit and he plays well we will great a lot more then it's up to the forwards to finish them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

The club are bracing themselves for a fresh bid from Madrid for De Gea.

I always picture that ned stark winter is coming meme when I see this line in print..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Those draws last season were happening despite creating a lot of chances for the most part. It will always eventually come good so long as you are creating imo and Lukaku being a more mobile and ice cold finisher than Zlatan would mean there was better movement up front.

I think the key is Mata. He makes better decisions with the ball around the box than anyone there and always finds the right player in space. Mkhi is more of a dribbler which causes a lot of forced attempts and tunnel vision. We already have Pogba who carries it forward and tries the impossible so having a 2nd can be a bit disjointed.

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    Adox it's because the original discussion we have had about it and ever since then his input has been pretty much put asside by you as to why the team maybe failing to create as much chances lately and looking over run in midfield sure the team should be able step up without him but they Don't!!

I did not mean it in any way patronizing or anything else It's my beliefe that your not looking at it with an open mind and at least I'm calling it to you straight out I am not saying it with a little dig or anything.

Your original view on this remember is that for me to say that the reason the team didn't function in a game without pogba was been lazy in an opinion or something along them lines i was one of the first to call it then and as time has gone on it's become more and more obvious.

I'm not making little digs or anything at you apart from that one night and I apologised for it next day I'm been straight out in what I think on the matter.

Call it straight all you want but having the opinion “ poster doesn’t agree with my view on a player so he mustn’t be able to assess him objectively” is patronizing and hard to take seriously.

Going back to that match with my now infamous comment it seems, I’ve tried to explain numerous times without being heard seemingly. We were playing a poor team and we were awful. A really really poor performance by pretty much everyone on the pitch. I was really annoyed with the team and wanted to discuss what went wrong with them, was it their attitude, their application, the formation, the managers tactics etc. saying “if we had Pogba playing” or “we really missed Pogba” was totally missing the point. If you believe that the team can’t perform against vastly inferior opposition without Pogba well then the club are in a terrible mess.

So Jayo yes you are being condescending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Agreed with poster saying Mata was excellent. He is so much better at #10 than Mkhitaryan

Rashfords raw pace never ceases to amaze me. There was one move where he sprinted from deep and it looked like someone had pressed fast forward compared to the players aro7nd him running.

He really does have the potential to go right to the top. Hard to believe he is still so young.

Rashfords raw pace never ceases to amaze me. There was one move where he sprinted from deep and it looked like someone had pressed fast forward compared to the players aro7nd him running.

He really does have the potential to go right to the top. Hard to believe he is still so young.

Was just watching match of the day and thought the same his pace to get to the header across for pogba was unreal.

Was just watching match of the day and thought the same his pace to get to the header across for pogba was unreal.

Maybe that was the move I meant. He nearly ran from the halfway line. Was unreal.

Maybe that was the move I meant. He nearly ran from the halfway line. Was unreal.

Yet the assist for pogbas goal It was excellent just the raw pace you couldn't catch him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Yet the assist for pogbas goal It was excellent just the raw pace you couldn't catch him.

Someone over on r/reddevils actually calculates his speed :pac:

Aww3aKw.jpg

astradave wrote: »
    Someone over on r/reddevils actually calculates his speed :pac:

Aww3aKw.jpg

Someone on redit needs to get out more ha.

is he a very naughty boy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

bangkok wrote: »
    dont want to bring it back to city, but looking at the way they lined up v Chelsea away and Arsenal at home....

Aguero

sane
    silva
    de bruyne
    sterling

fernandinho

football is fluid, no proper no 10 and we have the players to play the very same system and for it to be effective

against chelsea we lined up

lukaku
    rashford

mkhitarayan

young
    matic
    herrera
    valencia

chalk and cheese regarding quality i think its fair to say, but we could go (when pogba is back)

lukaku

Martial
    Pogba
    Mata
    Rashford

Matic

that right there is as good if not better than Man City, even when pogba was injured, Lingard or Mkhitaryan slots in where pogba is.

The no10 position for Utd is dead imo, the above team has balance, pace and skill in abundance

jose must have been reading my posts for when Pogba is back :pac:

thought mata was excellent again yesterday. said it before, very underrated by a lot of fans. he takes up some excellent positions and is excellent on the ball. his decision making is top class and he rarely loses the ball

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Someone on redit needs to get out more ha.

Everyone on Reddit needs to get out more 😊

thought mata was excellent again yesterday. said it before, very underrated by a lot of fans. he takes up some excellent positions and is excellent on the ball. his decision making is top class and he rarely loses the ball

Would you not think as an attacking midfielder he needs to contribute more in the way of goals or assists? I know he brings more to the flow of the game but players like him need to be doing an awful lot more to be considered a valuable first team player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Are there genuinely people on here that are blaming Lindelof for slipping?
    Suffering christ, that's bang on mental.

Would you not think as an attacking midfielder he needs to contribute more in the way of goals or assists? I know he brings more to the flow of the game but players like him need to be doing an awful lot more to be considered a valuable first team player.

No, he is a bit like iniesta at barca, doesnt score or assist much but is probably one of their best players last 10 years

No, he is a bit like iniesta at barca, doesnt score or assist much but is probably one of their best players last 10 years

Ahh right I see......

go-away.gif

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Players like him can make a team function and can create space for others.

The problem yesterday with him, Lukaku, Rashford, Martial and Pogba was how easy it was to get at the defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Are there genuinely people on here that are blaming Lindelof for slipping?
    Suffering christ, that's bang on mental.

You should see some of the comments in this and the match thread when it happened. Nothing about him being the only one who actually tried to do something defensive while everyone around him went asleep.

DM_7 wrote: »
    Players like him can make a team function and can create space for others.

I get that and agree but that's not enough to be regarded as one of the best players in the squad or held in such high regard for someone that's one if the 4 most advanced players on the pitch.

I like mata but I also like miki and for me both of them do not do enough of what they should do how about pull a player out of position and pop up with the winning goal or assists on a more regular basis.

Liam O wrote: »
    Those draws last season were happening despite creating a lot of chances for the most part. It will always eventually come good so long as you are creating imo and Lukaku being a more mobile and ice cold finisher than Zlatan would mean there was better movement up front.

I think the key is Mata. He makes better decisions with the ball around the box than anyone there and always finds the right player in space. Mkhi is more of a dribbler which causes a lot of forced attempts and tunnel vision. We already have Pogba who carries it forward and tries the impossible so having a 2nd can be a bit disjointed.

The key is Mata, or really any player who will consistently play well in that position behind Lukaku, our main issue last season and at times this season is that it didn’t/doesn’t happen for Mata or Mikki more often that not.

Lindelof had no idea where his man was for the goal, regardless of whether he slipped or Gayle knocked it in.

He just seems very unreliable and there are plenty of examples already in his short time here, if being benched the first couple of months wasn’t worrying enough.

• Advertisement

Lindelof had no idea where his man was for the goal, regardless of whether he slipped or Gayle knocked it in.

He just seems very unreliable and there are plenty of examples already in his short time here, if being benched the first couple of months wasn’t worrying enough.

Was he actually his man or should smailing of had him? I seen it this morning on MOTD and thought it was his fault but smalling is nowhere to be seen.

I think it's more if a defensive partnership fukup then an individual error but one thing I will say is Victor looks excellent on the ball you might even compare him to what stones went through last season but has sorted it out this year.

I get that and agree but that's not enough to be regarded as one of the best players in the squad or held in such high regard for someone that's one if the 4 most advanced players on the pitch.

I like mata but I also like miki and for me both of them do not do enough of what they should do how about pull a player out of position and pop up with the winning goal or assists on a more regular basis.

Keeping the ball in tight spaces and making space for other players is just as important

Was he actually his man or should smailing of had him? I seen it this morning on MOTD and thought it was his fault but smalling is nowhere to be seen.

I think it's more if a defensive partnership fukup then an individual error but one thing I will say is Victor looks excellent on the ball you might even compare him to what stones went through last season but has sorted it out this year.

I’m not sure who it was but someone peeled off Lindelof in the lead up to the goal and could have easily knocked it in instead of Gayle. The goal wasn’t his fault but his defending was still poor for that piece of play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

People are over playing our defensive lapses in the first twenty. The goal was a really good move and they crowded the box. Looked bad but it happens. After we got into the game it was one way traffic

I think a player like Mata is slowly but surely being left behind with the evolvement of the team. There won’t be a place in the team for that type of player eventually.

I think he’s over rated by many. He’s a decent player but his lack of both pace and physicality is making him redundant. He doesn’t produce and influence a game enough on a regular basis to counteract his deficiencies.

I think we will move away from a number 10 next season and Mata has no place taking up one of the wide berths.

Jayop wrote: »
    People are over playing our defensive lapses in the first twenty. The goal was a really good move and they crowded the box. Looked bad but it happens. After we got into the game it was one way traffic

It’s not even the defence that was the issue per say. The6 were left to fend on their own on a few occasions as waves of Newcastle players swarmed forward with too many Utd players caught upfield.

It’s still all down to the midfield imo and the lack of balance again in the starting lineup.

I think a player like Mata is slowly but surely being left behind with the evolvement of the team. There won’t be a place in the team for that type of player eventually.

I think he’s over rated by many. He’s a decent player but his lack of both pace and physicality is making him redundant. He doesn’t produce and influence a game enough on a regular basis to counteract his deficiencies.

I think we will move away from a number 10 next season and Mata has no place taking up one of the wide berths.

We are heavily linked with ozil so jose very much sees the no10 a big part of the future

We are heavily linked with ozil so jose very much sees the no10 a big part of the future

One doesn’t follow the other.

One doesn’t follow the other.

He also signed mkhitarayan last season. No 10 is here to stay. I think we will see ibra play there this season as well

• Advertisement

He also signed mkhitarayan last season. No 10 is here to stay. I think we will see ibra play there this season as well

Ibra isn’t a no 10 and won’t be even if he plays behind Lukaku. Miki has spent more time being played wide than as a no 10. Anyway I’m talking about the future.

It’s just my opinion based on nothing concrete other than observation and the way the team seems to be slowly evolving.

Ibra isn’t a no 10 and won’t be even if he plays behind Lukaku. Miki has spent more time being played wide than as a no 10. Anyway I’m talking about the future.

It’s just my opinion based on nothing concrete other than observation and the way the team seems to be slowly evolving.

Totally agree just cause Muller plays behind the striker it don't make him a number 10.

I donno if they will do away with it but mata is definitely been left behind by the team as it evolves and improvements are made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I think will play 433 in the future and we will move to Pogba being give a less defensive role..

Though I do think that is what it is now and the likes of Mata and Mkhi are not playing as a traditional 10 as they defo have defensive tasks, the role of the traditional 10 should be free’d up and have no defensive roles at all imo. We are basically playing 2 no 8’s atm but against the weaker opposition the likes of Mata and Mkhi’s defensive weaknesses won’t show as much

So we wont be signing ozil so

So we wont be signing ozil so

Just get Verratti, be grand.

The key is Mata, or really any player who will consistently play well in that position behind Lukaku, our main issue last season and at times this season is that it didn’t/doesn’t happen for Mata or Mikki more often that not.

Mata rarely plays through the middle. I don't mind him out wide when there's another skilful player to link up with inside him but in a team with 2 pacy wide players and a bit of defensive solidity behind him he could really stand out. Silva and De Bruyne are both playing in these positions for City so no reason Mata and Pogba can't work as well for United.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    That's true for any player, including Xavi or Zidane.

Pogba brings qualities that no other player in our squad brings and it wasn't by coincidence we struggled to play good football without Pogba.

And that's a huge problem. Were going to have to figure out how to play football without him.

Your wrong, he knew exactly what was going on.
    The two players that should have been blamed for conceeding were Smalling and young who were all over the place.
    It's very easy to scapegoat the new guy. For some reason alot of utd fans love to do this type of scapegoating regularly.

beno619 wrote: »
    And that's a huge problem. Were going to have to figure out how to play football without him.

Never going to happen with Herrera in midfield, Miki being as weak as he is while Matic has to cover for them.
    Herrera is functional and extremely useful to have but he's just not creative enough.
    I've accepted the limitations, I just feel some haven't and are convincing themselves Utd can create multiple chances without Pogba in Midfield.
    If I'm being honest, I think people need to get over it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

The recovery of Zlatan is almost as important as Pogba for first 14 options and makes a big difference when Pogba is out.

With Zlatan, United have a great striker/forward who can come off the bench or start with another striker on the bench.

One of the reasons Jose would be reluctant to start Martial and Rashford is the lack of any fire power on the bench. Football is a 14 person game now and bench is really important.

With Zlatan back, United have a great forward option on the bench no matter who starts a game.

Even without Pogba I would back United to have more chances with three from Zlatan, Lukaku, Martial and Rashford starting a game.

I really want to see United get the right midfield balance in the next game.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Your wrong, he knew exactly what was going on.
    The two players that should have been blamed for conceeding were Smalling and young who were all over the place.
    It's very easy to scapegoat the new guy. For some reason alot of utd fans love to do this type of scapegoating regularly.

C3D041D9-3F78-4F77-AE24-819F8826041E_zpstbyloui5.png

8E370852-FADC-45AC-BECA-BCD1B900059F_zpsh94sekwr.png

88DB2482-6770-43B5-AABE-438F9C9F9F27_zpshqsurqhd.png

E029393A-64DB-44FE-97EB-AD2452745FB3_zpsnh3f5ump.png

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement