Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

pjohnson wrote: »
    Mahrez is left footed like Mata and he does dribble inside quite a lot aswell. 23 goals in two years didn't come from staying glued to the wing which is apparently what we need.

Not sure what you are getting at here. You do realise there is a vast difference between both players while both being excellent?

One is a right winger and the other is a number 10 who gets put on the right wing. Both are excellent at their natural roles but Juan Mata is awful as a right wing player because he abandons the wing and just plays centrally. It exposes Valencia and crowds the centre. It is hindering Mkhitaryan and Lukaku.

GSPfan wrote: »
    Not sure what you are getting at here. You do realise there is a vast difference between both players while both being excellent?

One is a right winger and the other is a number 10 who gets put on the right wing. Both are excellent at their natural roles but Juan Mata is awful as a right wing player because he abandons the wing and just plays centrally. It exposes Valencia and crowds the centre. It is hindering Mkhitaryan and Lukaku.

While your right about what Mata does that must be the plan the managers have had for him as its obvious to us watching. With Marhez he would do similar at times but he is always quicker and a better dribbler so he could go both ways so to speak.

The more I think about it I'd love the signing. or any signing. Get it done ed.

I think mahrez would, if he performed, possibly block a Griezmann move. Unless mata was then sold and mahrez benched for Griezmann. Coukd see mata sold, but not the rest.

To be honest I think Griezmann will play behind Lukaku if he is ever bought. It’s his preferred position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,342 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

To be honest I think Griezmann will play behind Lukaku if he is ever bought. It’s his preferred position.
    Maybe, I think he would play from the right like mata does, but have a lot of freedom in attacking positions. Maybe Miki would be moved out there instead though.

While your right about what Mata does that must be the plan the managers have had for him as its obvious to us watching. With Marhez he would do similar at times but he is always quicker and a better dribbler so he could go both ways so to speak.

The more I think about it I'd love the signing. or any signing. Get it done ed.

I’ve thought about that before but it makes no sense. I am sure Jose wants his forward players to cut inside but Mata cuts inside about 30 yards from the byline and then wanders right into the centre and stays there. He crowds the middle also when there is attacks coming in from the left so when they cut in Mata is literally beside Mkhitaryan. It’s mental at times. Think about the West Ham game when the ball was lifted over the defense and Mata (right winger) was in behind the center halves on the left hand side trying to shoot and square it to Lukaku. He literally can’t stop himself drifting in field without the ball.

Edit: meant left hand side.

• Advertisement

Maybe, I think he would play from the right like mata does, but have a lot of freedom in attacking positions. Maybe Miki would be moved out there instead though.

I think the options are great with Griezmann and to be honest there is no guarantee after what he done this Summer that the deal will ever go through so I’d crack on with Mahrez regardless. Mkhitaryan was awful for large parts of last season so wouldn’t be guaranteeing him a starting role anywhere anytime soon. He has started well though.

On another note:

Would we all be going mad if this Summer we bought Drinkwater, Oxlade-Chamberlain, and Barkley? Cause it seems like Chelsea are ready to do that. Seems like they are swapping Brown Thomas for Marks and Spencers with them purchases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

On another note:

Would we all be going mad if this Summer we bought Drinkwater, Oxlade-Chamberlain, and Barkley? Cause it seems like Chelsea are ready to do that. Seems like they are swapping Brown Thomas for Marks and Spencers with them purchases.

If Chelsea sign them bunch of average joes I'll straight up rule them out of the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

On another note:

I wouldn't be devastated if we bought either or all of those 3 on top of the purchases we made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I was happy with the squad but now I see City possibly getting Sanchez and Liverpool possibly getting Lemar and now I want more.

Spoiled rotten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,166 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

They need depth, they need homegrown players. No mystery why those 3 are being targeted. They have about as much hope as Delph did when he joined City but they get a pay rise for paying considerably less and possibly win trophies. Chelsea get depth and homegrown players. All parties win.

Loaning out 28 players and selling Chalobah & Ake has left them awful short of homegrown depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

If Chelsea sign them bunch of average joes I'll straight up rule them out of the league.

rule the defending champions out because they are signing some squad players? its not like they are the only signings they have made this summer or are after losing too many key players aside from matic, they have kante for that role, and the falling out with costa and have morata that more than a few in here wanted instead of lukaku not myself but i know a few were unhappy with it. if they sign barkley and oxlade chamberlane its for the potential they have and drinkwater is likely just a backup squad player still have hazard to come back from injury too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,166 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

magnumbud wrote: »
    rule the defending champions out because they are signing some squad players? its not like they are the only signings they have made this summer or are after losing too many key players aside from matic, they have kante for that role, and the falling out with costa and have morata that more than a few in here wanted instead of lukaku. if they sign barkley and oxlade chamberlane its for the potential they have and drinkwater is likely just a backup squad player still have hazard to come back from injury too

Bakayoko already took Matic place. Barkley and Drinkwater would be replacing Loftus-Cheek (6 sub apps in PL last year) and Chalobah (1 start & 9 sub apps in PL last year). Oxlade-Chamberlain would be rotated with Moses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Bakayoko already took Matic place. Barkley and Drinkwater would be replacing Loftus-Cheek (6 sub apps in PL last year) and Chalobah (1 start & 9 sub apps in PL last year). Oxlade-Chamberlain would be rotated with Moses.
    ^ this

Considerable upgrades to the squad.

Not every signing needs to be a marquee name. Not every member of the squad can be a world beater.

The only major downside of signings like that is the impact it has on bringing a few youngsters up the ranks and giving them a go at filling out those squad places.

And the potential of not keeping everybody happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Hopefully Woodward has something up his sleeve with rivals potentially strengthening their teams/squads a good deal in the coming days.

We knew we had a favourable enough opening 5 or 6 games and that reflects our position I think but when the thicker fixtures come I think we could possibly struggle to get goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

S.M.B. wrote: »
    ^ this

Considerable upgrades to the squad.

Not every signing needs to be a marquee name. Not every member of the squad can be a world beater.

The only major downside of signings like that is the impact it has on bringing a few youngsters up the ranks and giving them a go at filling out those squad places.

And the potential of not keeping everybody happy.

He has a point

dims?thumbnail=640%2C480&quality=80&image_uri=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.blogcdn.com%2Fwww.joystiq.com%2Fmedia%2F2008%2F05%2Ftmpphpjb3pc2-rose-tinted-glasses.jpg&client=cbc79c14efcebee57402&signature=2dfef328bb0d73f3268e6ee9a6f7a6fcd7305bf1

J. Marston wrote: »
    I was happy with the squad but now I see City possibly getting Sanchez and Liverpool possibly getting Lemar and now I want more.

Spoiled rotten.

They would be two players I think would be fantastic additions to the united squad, and add attributes we are missing. Both players moving, and us getting neither of them (along with neymar going to psg without us getting involved) would annoy me. Whatever about Sanchez being, probably, determined to sign for city, I have to think Lemar would be interested in signing for us as much, at least, as Liverpool.

United crying out for a winger and Liverpool nab Lemar AND Salah? I'd be salty! :-D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Hopefully Woodward has something up his sleeve with rivals potentially strengthening their teams/squads a good deal in the coming days.

We knew we had a favourable enough opening 5 or 6 games and that reflects our position I think but when the thicker fixtures come I think we could possibly struggle to get goals.

We got our work done early. I think that will be the norm under Jose. I wouldn't be expecting massively exciting deadline days from now on tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

See xavi won the lotto in qatar :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

Might just be blind optimism but I could see a last minute deal being done for a winger. Entirely possible that I'm completely wrong though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

bangkok wrote: »

Some lads just have all the luck

ffs

That is all

Anyone else a little concerned about rivals strengthening towards the end of the window? Chelsea for example have clearly gotten over that Burnley game and they've a couple of additions coming in that will certainly strengthen their squad. Liverpool looked quality against Arsenal and are still looking for a defender and a midfielder. City are trying to sign Sanchez to go along with he insane array of attacking talent they have.

Are we happy with the Utd squad in that context?

Anyone else a little concerned about rivals strengthening towards the end of the window? Chelsea for example have clearly gotten over that Burnley game and they've a couple of additions coming in that will certainly strengthen their squad. Liverpool looked quality against Arsenal and are still looking for a defender and a midfielder. City are trying to sign Sanchez to go along with he insane array of attacking talent they have.

Been answered a few times already...my thoughts

"Think you might be panicking only because some other clubs are making late moves.
    No point going for players at this late stage without a proper plan in place. I'm really happy with the dealings but it would have been nice to have gotten a winger in.
    I'm not overly concerned about it though because I have seen evidence of goal contribution throughout the team."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Other teams are only strenghting now because they failed to do it at start this place was buzzing after all our games but because some other teams are in transfer negotiations people get knickers in a twist.

Pogba is still gonna play excellent mkhitaryan is still gonna assist. Martial and rashford are still gonna improve and lukaku will still score goals. Matic will still boss midfields and Bailey and jones will still continue to defend.

I think Sanchez is a title decider, or close to it.

If he signs for City, they win the league - I see no way of that attacking unit not getting the goals and points to win it. They are favourites, imo, without him as it is.

If United were to sign him, I'd be far more confident as I think he could push our attacking unit up there with City and I would have more faith in our lot defensively.

Chelsea, I am no more worried about them with this reported business than I was previously. They will still be a top side without them.

Liverpool getting Lemar would annoy me, as I think he would be a great signing, and a great signing for us - and whatever about competing with City for Sanchez i see no reason we couldn't compete with Liverpool for Lemar.

I've been consistent in what I feel United have needed this summer, and as it stands we haven't got it done - so I will be disappointed if we don't add a more natural wide threat to the squad, and I feel that missing piece will hold us back. Even if we do get them it will be tough to win the league cause there are other great sides - and I don't give us any chance in the CL unless the wide player we sign is Bale (or we get Sanchez), and even then I think Madrid are just miles ahead of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Anyone else a little concerned about rivals strengthening towards the end of the window?

My concern is that a good start against weaker teams leaves us over confident and we don't address obvious weak points on the back of it.

If the manager was never particularly concerned about left back or signing a winger this window then fine, thats his decision. I just hope that its not a case of changing his mind based on a good run at the start of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Headshot wrote: »
    So if the transfer window ends with utd having no more signings, would we classify the transfer window as successful?

I wouldnt be sure of it myself tbh, we have a really good team but still missing players tbh

Think it will have been another really good transfer window. Lukaku was a major coup.

The team needed first team improvements, mainly at DM and ST. Carrick needed replacing as did Zlatan and that was done with real quality.

Coupled with the expected improvement and development of existing players, little to no disruption or negativity in the squad, I think it has been an excellent summer. Look at our rivals and the issues they have had to deal with, we wrapped the Rooney saga up early, that it didn't even become a thing.

Came into the window expecting 3-4, for a midfielder,defender and striker and think its only fair that on those expectations I consider them met, and if anything exceeded with the players that actually arrived.

DM_7 wrote: »
    Would be delighted with Mahrez. Amazed nobody bought him yet.

The fact he was pretty muck last season, and had a massive whiff of one hit wonder is likely the reason.

He's equipped himself well this summer, think he's a credit to himself and the club in that a high profile player linked with a move away, has applied himself properly and played well, unlike so many others who get these faked injuries to keep them out.

But personally I still have him down as a one season wonder, and wouldn't be overly interested in signing him.

I'm also not overly interested in Sanchez anymore, seeing the start Rashford and Martial have made on the left. I think it's better to let them play the season in tandum, swopping and coming in and out, developing, contributing. both have incredible potential, are already delivering at a high level, so we should give them every opportunity.

I'm not overly convinced about this "we need width" craic, when he is playing a 4-2-3-1. Width can come from the fullbacks, which will get even more ridiculous if Shaw gets fit, stays fit, and gets into the first team. Him flanking Valencia is a potent mix in terms of width.

I'd rate Mata's movement and intellegence over a braindead winger who just hits the byline. Mata could be crucial along with Mhiki in breaking the lines of packed defences we play against.

Cheeky bid for Sterling who is likely now unsettled? :P
    While I don't rate him as the second coming they did in the UK, he is clearly a very good player. Be somewhat hilarious signing him and him winning things considering where he came from :D

But in terms of upgrades along our front line, I'm pretty happy with what is there and think we have excellent options. Mata always feels the potential casualty because of his lack of pace, but he more then makes up for it with his intelligence and craft. Only thing I see out there that I'd go for is Muller who is clearly not happy with life at Bayern, and would be an upgrade on Mata for me. But don't think he would work in a Jose team or be giving the license to do what he does best.

• Advertisement

On another note:

Drinkwater got massively exposed when Kante left. A really average midfielder, so the talk of 30-40m is baffling. He's horrendously average.

I've never seen the hype on Chamberlain. A player who no one knows his best position, he claims he is a CM but is never played there, and barely features for the team with all his injury troubles and likely is going to suffer hamstring problems until the end of his career. For Chelsea to pay 30m+ to put him at RWB, where he has played less than 10 times, is mental.

I like and rate Barkley, so bias from my part, but I get why people think he is an overhyped and if bought for 30m, overpriced player.

I think Sanchez is a title decider, or close to it.

If he signs for City, they win the league - I see no way of that attacking unit not getting the goals and points to win it. They are favourites, imo, without him as it is.

If United were to sign him, I'd be far more confident as I think he could push our attacking unit up there with City and I would have more faith in our lot defensively.

Chelsea, I am no more worried about them with this reported business than I was previously. They will still be a top side without them.

Liverpool getting Lemar would annoy me, as I think he would be a great signing, and a great signing for us - and whatever about competing with City for Sanchez i see no reason we couldn't compete with Liverpool for Lemar.

I've been consistent in what I feel United have needed this summer, and as it stands we haven't got it done - so I will be disappointed if we don't add a more natural wide threat to the squad, and I feel that missing piece will hold us back. Even if we do get them it will be tough to win the league cause there are other great sides - and I don't give us any chance in the CL unless the wide player we sign is Bale (or we get Sanchez), and even then I think Madrid are just miles ahead of us.

When did this wide player become a thing?

Weren't you and Adox telling me the critical requirement for a DM and what it would do for the team? An opinion I didn't agree with at all, but I'm having to massively re-evaluate my opinion having seen the team with Matic in it, and seeing him consistently now also.

Only a few weeks ago it was the DM that was crucial for Title tilt, now its a winger?

Think you're being extreme there man. If Jose wants a wide player, he can put Rashford out wide. Quick, can beat people, and has a whipper of a right foot. Just needs to trust Martial and Rashford playing wide, and that Matic and the defence can manage. If Martial and Rashford continue in this vein, on one hand brilliant that they push each other for that left slot and them playing well is great for the team, but might become so palpable, their form, that we see Mata dropped for Rashford out wide.

He also Valencia who he could play RW, his natural position, and bring Darmian back into the fold at RB.

So he has options to achieve this, if its such a crucial thing as you say, he has no excuse if we don't sign someone. IT would be utter spoof if title tilt didn't come about and he blamed not signing a RW as the reason, he has tools there to do it if he wants.

I still rate us higher then City. They have disharmony in the camp, moreso no should the Sterling situation be true, their star striker is going to be a running story all season, their midfield is garbage imo, and their defence is brutal.

For all the attacking flair and will in the world, as we saw with Rodgers Liverpool, if you leak goals, you are likely going to have some upsets and surprises.

So I'm backing us, with a great defence that is now into it's third season of being rock solid domestically, nevermind the additions of Matic, Linderlof and a settled Baily likely reenforcing that, and with Mhiki finally playing his best position, Pogba being a bit more advanced, Lukaku in the team and Rashford/Martial pushing, I see no reason why we should not be confident of domestic success.

City under Mancini with a peak Toure and Kompany was a scary proposition. First time since Mourinho's Chelsea MK1 where I'd go into a game sweating. But since then, I havn't feared or worried about anyone in the league. You can clearly see weakness' and how to get at them all. For once in years, it us that look the fearing and scary proposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

C'mon now, Doc - Valencia is an industrious player who gives 100% every game. But he is no longer a winger, no longer an attacking threat. Hell, he's hardly even a proper defender.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Drinkwater got massively exposed when Kante left. A really average midfielder, so the talk of 30-40m is baffling. He's horrendously average.

Which is why I say this again; we did our business early, and part of that was to avoid that sort of situation where we are overpaying for mediocre players.

City look good offensively, but having watched the first three games, they look super shaky in midfield and defense. Doc is right, they aren't the runaway leaders some people seem to think they'll be. They've splashed a load of cash on their defense, and it really doesn't look as solid as it should be. Same with Chelsea and Pool. And Arsenal have taken a step back, and Spurs look shaky.

I'd easily put us as favorites right now, based on our overall abilities.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    C'mon now, Doc - Valencia is an industrious player who gives 100% every game. But he is no longer a winger, no longer an attacking threat. Hell, he's hardly even a proper defender.

I'm just saying that if he feels having a wide player on the right is critical for a title tilt (Which I don't agree with at all) then he has 2-3 options in the squad already.

Sure be lovely to have a nice new shiney winger, but under no circumstances should it be an excuse for failings, or a preemptive "told you so" and an excuse provided for the manager and the team, should expectations not be met.

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'm just saying that if he feels having a wide player on the right is critical for a title tilt (Which I don't agree with at all) then he has 2-3 options in the squad already.

Sure be lovely to have a nice new shiney winger, but under no circumstances should it be an excuse for failings, or a preemptive "told you so" and an excuse provided for the manager and the team, should expectations not be met.

I think we will get into situations where we need a wide threat to actually stretch a team out and create some gaps in the middle, and we don't have a player that can do that naturally, to a high level. Ashley Young is the only winger in the squad. All the other players will cut inside and try to pass or shoot - we can't effectively change that approach.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Not a winger, not an attacking threat, hardly even a proper defender..... what is he then??? He is probably one of the first names on the utd teamsheet. Not many players i would replace him with

Not a winger, not an attacking threat, hardly even a proper defender..... what is he then??? He is probably one of the first names on the utd teamsheet. Not many players i would replace him with

He's a jack of all trades who is consistently good but rarely special.

I think it will be a priority next summer to seek a replacement (if the Aurier news was true, we were after one this summer), as the wing back positions will be an issue next summer. We've got out midfield sorted, center backs sorted, and I'd imagine Griezmann will be out "wide player" signing. I'd imagine the focus then will be on new LB and RB players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

He is probably one of the first names on the utd teamsheet.

Of course he is. Keeper first, then full backs, thats how everybody does it.

I think any moves for a Valencia replacement are based on his age, rather than Jose not being happy with him. I think United are looking at a younger fullback that can take over long term at right back - so I couldn't see us going for a 28 year old or something like that.

Valencia puts up comparible stats to all right backs i think (except Alves!)

I wouldn't be his biggest fans but I'd worry about us far more at left back than right back right now. I'm hopeful Shaw will fix that after the international break, but he has an awful lot to prove (to Jose most of all) and if he doesn't our other options haven't proven themselves good enough at all. I even feel Blind's passing, creativity and crossing has looked crap since the start of pre-season - so he doesn't even have that going for him now.

As I say, hopefully Shaw will prove himself and become a top left back, as I feel he has it in him to be.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    He's a jack of all trades who is consistently good but rarely special.

To be honest I think the fact he pretty much plays an entire side of a pitch by himself incredibly special. Apart from his crossing being a bit crap he is an unbelievable athlete. His athleticism is special.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

jayo26 wrote: »
    Other teams are only strenghting now because they failed to do it at start this place was buzzing after all our games but because some other teams are in transfer negotiations people get knickers in a twist.

Pogba is still gonna play excellent mkhitaryan is still gonna assist. Martial and rashford are still gonna improve and lukaku will still score goals. Matic will still boss midfields and Bailey and jones will still continue to defend.

If this isnt the type of talk that is complacent, I dont knoe what is.

Why is Pogba gonna play excellent? Why are Rashford and Martial destined to improve? NONE OF THESE THINGS ARE A GIVEN.

We have done well against 2 opponents (Swans and WHU) and beat a dcent Lecister team well but I still thing we need at one more attacking option. We havent had a real test yet.

Rumours of Maherz signing are welcome, but I dont think it will come to pass. I think we have strenghed the squad with Matic and Lukaku so far, but I think we need more. We shouldnt be resting on our laurels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Think Mahrez is being underestimated a bit. He would be an excellent addition if we could get him for £40m or thereabouts.

I'd prefer him to Sanchez who I'd worry about causing unrest in the squad. I think Sanchez is fantastic but would command a guaranteed starting place, which would ruffle a few feathers in a team that has been brilliant in the first three games. I think Mahrez would compliment what we already have without the ego and abrasiveness. He would be fairly happy to play himself into the team in my opinion.

Sanchez has become more self serving as he has aged. Perhaps that's a necessity at Arsenal but I think Mahrez would be ideal as a team player and would maintain squad harmony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Where are the links with Mahrez coming from? Anything solid?

Himself and Mata competing and rotating on the right would be very welcome.

Where are the links with Mahrez coming from? Anything solid?

Bouhfusi in France.

Duncan Castle has denied it btw.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Bouhfusi in France.

Duncan Castle has denied it btw.

Dam you Duncan or well played Duncan trying to get us a better price.

Crap I spent the whole summer avoiding all the transfser stuff but with the football back on Ive been pulled in.

Sign them all Snahcez, Lemar, Marhez play 15 a side

If Sanchez, Lemar and Mahrez were to move in the next day and a half, and we don't actually make a move for any of them, it will be very disappointing.

Hell, even put in another bid for Perisic. If United want another player, I don't like the idea of his just giving up on getting them - when other clubs (may) prove to be able buy players that would improve us.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    If this isnt the type of talk that is complacent, I dont knoe what is.

Why is Pogba gonna play excellent? Why are Rashford and Martial destined to improve? NONE OF THESE THINGS ARE A GIVEN.

We have done well against 2 opponents (Swans and WHU) and beat a dcent Lecister team well but I still thing we need at one more attacking option. We havent had a real test yet.

Rumours of Maherz signing are welcome, but I dont think it will come to pass. I think we have strenghed the squad with Matic and Lukaku so far, but I think we need more. We shouldnt be resting on our laurels.

I wasn't been complacent you are misunderstanding my post and jumping on it I'm one if the least complacent posters here.

My point was after each game this year we were talking about performances of all said above players and they were improving and playing well and so on.... my point was just because other teams sign one or two late players it will not mean that our current team will turn out to be any worse they will still do what they are going to this season.

Of course I winger like Sanchez would improve us but if we ain't getting him we do with what we have and what we have ain't so bad.

Can I just say one thing on this maherez talk last season maherez looked like a one season wonder he had a very average season by standards and now all of a sudden after one or two good performances he would be a massive improvement to our squad?

Sorry but no he would be a gamble.. Martial and rashford have looked to improve from last season and they are already with us we don't need to gamble on them.

If any player should be signed now at this stage it should only be an elite player that's not a gamble on quality a player we know will improve and make the difference between challenging for title or winning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

If there is a player available that makes your starting 11 stronger and you can afford him.

Then sign him.

I think we will get into situations where we need a wide threat to actually stretch a team out and create some gaps in the middle, and we don't have a player that can do that naturally, to a high level. Ashley Young is the only winger in the squad. All the other players will cut inside and try to pass or shoot - we can't effectively change that approach.

Thought there would be an argument, that in the scenario where we are struggling to break down a team who are sitting deep, that team will also compact the middle, and I would have thought general thinking is its playing into that teams hands, if you are just firing balls in from wide.

Aerial crosses are any CB's bread and butter, and in that compact situation a winger hitting the byline for a cutback, is usually hitting a hit and hope to trying find a team mate in a packed box.

I think it's an issue we are going to have to deal with, contend with, probably get upset by throughout the season, wether we have a wide player or not.

I don't envisage that having a winger will somehow draw out a CB to close him down, therefore providing some space in behind for a #10 or whatever. I know that is the thinking, but when you see it in practice, the midfielders are usually covering that space, and then the crosses are just bread and butter.

Point being I think we are going to have that problem regardless, and a winger isn't going to unlock that problem for us.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement