Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

The difference with Pogba is he gives a sh1t what happens to the club. He has a connect with the club. In so many clubs now you have the players who come because of the big wages and no loyalty. Pogba was there as a junior so he has it in his heart, so he will give everything where others in the squad will not, because they just work there. He should be captain to transmit his drive.

In fairness I don't think there are players who don't give a ****? They are playing at one of the biggest clubs in the world, as for most, post United is usually a step down, rarely are the cases someone steps up.

As Berba said, why leave United, you leave and your career is either over or you realise your not as good as you thought.

I think we have plenty of players who care, and while there might be reflex reactions from people, I don't remember much of, nor would agree with, stuff like "your not fit to wear the shirt" or any situations where I thought someone didn't care.

Di Maria was probably the last I can recall? Even Memphis who it was levelled against, I'd say was inaccurate.

That's actually a bit of a wild comment to make the more I think, of a player in recent times where I thought they didn't care about the club and were just picking up the check.

Di Maria and Van Persie are the immediate two, and Van Gaal sorted that out in the end pretty quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I've only watched extended highlights but we looked really ragged at the back at times.

R.E
    Performances without Pogba.
    I'll never agree that his replacements cannot offer more than they have.

And I'll say it again it's a problem Jose will have to solve this season if we are to go the distance with City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Glad to see Patrice is happy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

beno619 wrote: »
    I've only watched extended highlights but we looked really ragged at the back at times.

R.E
    Performances without Pogba.
    I'll never agree that his replacements cannot offer more than they have.

And I'll say it again it's a problem Jose will have to solve this season if we are to go the distance with City.
    I don't see how there could be any argument that Herrera or Miki, for example, performed anywhere near well enough when Pogba was out and thats on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

bangkok wrote: »
    But he was used more as an attacking weapon in his final 2 seasons. 6 goals and 9 assists for a left back in class. Thats what i will remember him for. As someone said earlier, he is not a machine, his main job them seasons was an attacking one and not a defending one

I'm sorry but that's complete nonsense

• Advertisement

Many of us in here at the time were looking for Alexander Buttner to get a start over Evra, such was Evra's form...Alexander fúcking Buttner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Jayop wrote: »
    But we generally have been like that. Bear in mind this was the first time this year that Rashford martial Lukaku and Pogba all started together. Also pogba just back from months out so the tracking of the runners was a bit out. For me the Newcastle goal was more good play on their part than major mistakes on ours. Our full back was pushing up which we all want, they broke with lightning pace and crowded the box. It happens.

Give me a 4 1 over a nil nil or a 1 nil any day.

On the last line, well yeah of course, that’s stating the obvious. I’m of the opinion though that we will win more games with a more balanced midfield than the one that was put out at the weekend.

Also on the goal, it wasn’t a one off in the first half hour. It happened a few times which tells me that there was something fundamentally wrong with team for it to happen more than the odd time, rather than it just being excellent play from Newcastle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

There were times I thought Evra had stopped trying near the end of his United career. He was that slow getting back into position at times near the end.

adox wrote: »
    On the last line, well yeah of course, that’s stating the obvious. I’m of the opinion though that we will win more games with a more balanced midfield than the one that was put out at the weekend.

Also on the goal, it wasn’t a one off in the first half hour. It happened a few times which tells me that there was something fundamentally wrong with team for it to happen more than the odd time, rather than it just being excellent play from Newcastle.

Haha...those few times have been mostly Lindelof :D My TLDR from last night about being patient with him still applies!

No, but you are spot on about something being not quite right fundamentally, and about a more balanced MF.

Even though that was the first goal we conceded in the PL at home this season, there is still something a bit shaky about our defending in general where we can be got at a little too easily at times. Rather than our defenders or midfield personnel, I think that we are a bit exposed with only two in CM. No matter who those two are.

Pogba and Matic the other day - Yep, we had some lovely attacks and fúck it, we won 4-1. However, for discussion's sake, from early on and probably until we equalised Newcastle were putting the pressure on. A lot of this was achieved by them absolutely gliding through our CM. I almost thought I saw a tumbleweed blowing by one of the Newcastle CMs in possession at one stage. This isn't down to deficiencies in Pogba or Matic's game, they can't be everywhere at once. I just think that they could do with a hand in there, be it Fellaini or Herrera, definitely to cover and relieve some defensive pressure when those players are getting forward. Like they can do, like the team needs them to.

As for the goal in question, there were errors from our lads, but I think that was partly because of an excellent move from Newcastle. Looking at the goal now again after two days, I forgot just how anonymous Matic was in build-up to it. Lindelof stole the show with his slip, but Matic is just gliding along. Even just before the ball is played into Gayle and the slip, it's clear that Lindelof (our last man) is out-numbered and Matic still just remains in 2nd gear.

https://streamable.com/8raza

No harm to Matic overall. He's a class player and had a good game overall on Saturday. This is all for discussion's sake rather than the need to lynch one player for one goal conceded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Is there any good online resource for player heat maps? I used have access to amazing stats back in my heavy fantasy football days but I gave that all up.

I'm curious to see the breakdown of our front 4 or 5 from the weekends game.

I found Jose's quotes interesting where he said he struggles to play both Martial and Rashford together because they both want to play in tee same area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Is there any good online resource for player heat maps? I used have access to amazing stats back in my heavy fantasy football days but I gave that all up.

I'm curious to see the breakdown of our front 4 or 5 from the weekends game.

I found Jose's quotes interesting where he said he struggles to play both Martial and Rashford together because they both want to play in tee same area.

whoscored normally offers some nice stats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Nalz wrote: »
    I'm sorry but that's complete nonsense

Meh i dont think it is.

6 goals 9 assists in his final 2 seasons would be decent for a midfielder. For a left back to get it is class.

Many of us in here at the time were looking for Alexander Buttner to get a start over Evra, such was Evra's form...Alexander fúcking Buttner.

There are also many here that want lindelof out the door after playing less than 10 games for us... (me not included)

jayo26 wrote: »
    Glad to see Patrice is happy :)

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bbt5_80hxwD/

Do you not know what day it is??!! :)

I don't have much problems with midfield balance maybe it could be a little better but we use to have the extreme of two defensive midfielders under lvg now we have got one of the best if not the best defensive midfielders in the league and we have one if the best defensive records In the league..

no team is perfect 100 percent of the time I don't think many teams have got at us consistently this year and looked like scoring each time when we have had matic and pogba in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I think the next thing needed for that midfield is the third man beside Pog and Matic .
    I dont think Herrera or Fellaini is the answer,get someone in next summer who will get us to the next level.
    A few other area's need work as well mostly LB and a wide man but if there was 3 in this summer I'd like one to be a cm.

Ideally I'd like to see a LB signed in January,at this stage its as well to write off Shaw unfortunately imo.

Few reports saying that both bale and griezmann will be our top transfer targets next summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Thats some top quality reporting right there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Meh i dont think it is.

6 goals 9 assists in his final 2 seasons would be decent for a midfielder. For a left back to get it is class.
    One of the biggest footballing mysteries I can think of is how and why Patrice Evra turned into a set piece targey in his final few seasons at United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

B70AT5YCUAAgy80.png

Khedira to Barcelona for 58 million is the latest rumour I heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Khedira to Barcelona for 58 million is the latest rumour I heard.

He's off to Spurs for 51m

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

Mats Hummels to Newcastle on a free!

your not getting my number that easy dave :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

Marco Reus to Psg for €99 million :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Ander has had the extension to his contract triggered for another year.

LVG could be back in English football......as manager of Everton.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

SAF made very few mistakes but not having a back up LB for Evra was one of them. I don't think any outfield player played anywhere near as many games as Evra. He didn't play only in 8 league games in 4 years, played in almost all European games and he was playing in one of the most demanding position and role. It wasn't surprise Evra wasn't sprinting back to cover the position.

Evra had a dip in his form, no doubt about that but still he was quality player when we won league in 2012-13 season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

astradave wrote: »
    B70AT5YCUAAgy80.png

Pogba to Monaco for 2m........I dont like this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭xtal191

Reus to Villa for £20m, def see that happening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Strootman to Ajax, 32m :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Ander has had the extension to his contract triggered for another year.

LVG could be back in English football......as manager of Everton.

Everton mate behind me in work said that yesterday that his odds got slashed and excited at the prospect.

Would love to see him back in the league, hopefully learning to bin Rooney immediately and not to hang his hat on him again.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Everton mate behind me in work said that yesterday that his odds got slashed and excited at the prospect.

Would love to see him back in the league, hopefully learning to bin Rooney immediately and not to hang his hat on him again.

Think I said it before I'd love to see him back too it would be great fun and he wouldn't be United manager so we could just enjoy his press conference without caring about results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

• Advertisement

TheDoc wrote: »

If i were him i would stay happily retired in Portugal. Everton would be the last place i would want to be going at his age

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Schneiderlin to everton for 54m
    Deja vu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

paulbok wrote: »
    No place for him on Jose's bus

At least he is waiting patiently at the bus stop.

• Advertisement

And then the press and these youtubers wonder why they are hated by so much of the club's.

This picture was taken at the start of the training session he was out early if it was taken 10 seconds later he would of had darmian and scott mctominy beside him and 4 members of the coaching staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Damn, thought the game was today. Was mentally preparing my evening after work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Shaw has been included in the last Few squads now, will be interesting to see if he is finally starting to gain Jose’s trust..

As for LVG returning to Everton, it’s a bit like Everton replacing Koeman with Koeman.. can’t see it ending happily

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Barcelona readying £17million move for Ozil apparently. Another one of our January possibilities. Hopefully he has some Madrid loyalty and would prefer not to go there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Would love him at United, would Jose accomodate him off Lukaku, along with Rashford/Martial and someone on the right?

Can't see him playing as a winger for us, so don't see where he would go if not into that number 10 position, and we would need him to be a third midfielder at times.

Would love him at United, would Jose accomodate him off Lukaku, along with Rashford/Martial and someone on the right?

Can't see him playing as a winger for us, so don't see where he would go if not into that number 10 position, and we would need him to be a third midfielder at times.

He plays mostly behind hig in the juventus line-up don't he?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Barcelona readying £17million move for Ozil apparently. Another one of our January possibilities. Hopefully he has some Madrid loyalty and would prefer not to go there.

He'll go to Barca as people here still turn their nose up at him :rolleyes:

Reading Griezmann has ruled out a January move apparently too, hence the Ozil links. Barca chairman has said he feels they need another attacker to go further into the CL, so someone who isn't cup tied.
    He plays mostly behind hig in the juventus line-up don't he?

Fifa has him as a CAM anyway. :p

If we are going away from a no10 in the team as some think we will, we wont be signing either ozil or dybala.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

If we are going away from a no10 in the team as some think we will, we wont be signing either ozil or dybala.

Colours to the mast so Bangkok? Who will we be signing? In this window or the summer window?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement