Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

adox wrote: »
    Well that’s funny because a draw would have guaranteed top spot in the group but now there is something to play for in the last game instead of that actually being a dead rubber.

nots losing worse then 4-1 isnt it? or am i missing something.
    its not secure but it is like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Tbh, he got no service today. No striker in the world will look good when starved of chances.

True but he doesn’t look as sharp as he did earlier in the season in his overall play. Maybe he’s not fully fit. He certainly needs to improve his game with his back to goal. He’s pretty poor securing possession when the ball is player into hi with his back to goal(which is a lot with Utd unfortunately)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Goes on head to head results and not gd I think either way i think by virtue of us beating Basel 3 nill they can't overtake us????

jayo26 wrote: »
    Goes on head to head results and not gd I think either way i think by virtue of us beating Basel 3 nill they can't overtake us????

Basel cant but we beat cska 4-1 so CSKA have to better that result to move above us but then Basel have a better h2h via CSKA so does it go back to goal difference then?

Yeah we have to get beaten heavily but still this “sure it’s a dead rubber, a glorified friendly”attitude is sort of what had Utd where they are. The team really needs to build some continuity in performance. A certain base level and build on that until it sort of becomes second nature.

The fact that we aren’t technically still qualified from this god awful group going into the last game is sort of a metaphor for where the team are at. Streets ahead of the three teams in the group and yet limping over the line. It may have been acceptable under Fergie when we were competing for everything more often than not but this team is still a major work in progress and try8ng to rebuild. It’s worrying to see the performance level drop so badly on regular occasions.

I think it’s also healthy to critique the performances and give your thoughts on the progress of the club, especially after the last few years and think it’s just a bit rich getting words like “meltdown” thrown around.

Anyway for me it was the second half performance that concerns me in the greater scheme of things more than the result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Tbh, he got no service today. No striker in the world will look good when starved of chances.

Yah, he should have buried that one with the amazing ball from pogba.

But in general there's been a few games over the last month or so he's had little to no service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Yea but he needs to be more than just a goalscorer. Link up play and first touch need to improve and his movement in and around the 6 yard box isnt great but im sure it will all get better over the years.

He could probably do with a week off as well, big move for him and he has probably played every game for us without a break

Basel cant but we beat cska 4-1 so CSKA have to better that result to move above us but then Basel have a better h2h via CSKA so does it go back to goal difference then?

giphy_3.gif

bangkok wrote: »
    He could probably do with a week off as well, big move for him and he has probably played every game for us without a break

?

He's 24 and we're not even 1/3 of the way through the season.

Why on earth would he need a break?

What he needs is some service.

• Advertisement

limnam wrote: »
    ?

Doesnt matter what age he is, he has still played almost every game for us. Would be good to see him get a game off to put the feet up and recharge the batteries

Doesnt matter what age he is, he has still played almost every game for us. Would be good to see him get a game off to put the feet up and recharge the batteries

get out of it.

Be good to see him give the lads around him good rolocking.

Work a bit on his touch and start putting the ball away.

The last thing he needs his a break.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Yea but he needs to be more than just a goalscorer. Link up play and first touch need to improve and his movement in and around the 6 yard box isnt great but im sure it will all get better over the years.

Tbh, I'd rather he just focus on being the goalscorer and stop looking for a jack of all trades striker. put the ball on the tee for him and let him just bury them.

I'm not looking to him to create chances, we've a massive issue on the right wing in that nothing EVER comes from it. Martial is a good attacking threat but when he has a quiet game, the left side does too. So other than Pogba, there was little to no creative output today.

Herrera is such a disappointment in that regard. :/

We need another creative player into the team. It's too dangerous to just rely on one player like we are.

get out of it.

Be good to see him give the lads around him good rolocking.

Work a bit on his touch and start putting the ball away.

The last thing he needs his a break.

Part of being a top class striker is having a good first touch, so you can set yourself up for either a shot or a good pass to a team mate. A bit of his problem is his first touch is poor so he doesnt get that chance to shoot. Everything cant be laid on a plate for him. Need to work some magic yourself. Not sure if he has that in him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Lukaku isn't getting much service.

He also is doing very little with what he does get.

Both things are true. I praised him a lot for his great start but he isn't playing particularly well right now and it isn't helping matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

https://archive.org/details/BPZoneEpisode3FinishedEdit

Here's our podcast where me and friend talk arsenal and united have a listen if ya like its a bit of fun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

?

What he needs to do is take his fukn chances. Sitter missed tonight

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

Yeah we have to get beaten heavily but still this “sure it’s a dead rubber, a glorified friendly”attitude is sort of what had Utd where they are. The team really needs to build some continuity in performance. A certain base level and build on that until it sort of becomes second nature.

The fact that we aren’t technically still qualified from this god awful group going into the last game is sort of a metaphor for where the team are at. Streets ahead of the three teams in the group and yet limping over the line. It may have been acceptable under Fergie when we were competing for everything more often than not but this team is still a major work in progress and try8ng to rebuild. It’s worrying to see the performance level drop so badly on regular occasions.

I think it’s also healthy to critique the performances and give your thoughts on the progress of the club, especially after the last few years and think it’s just a bit rich getting words like “meltdown” thrown around.

Anyway for me it was the second half performance that concerns me in the greater scheme of things more than the result.

Nonsense.No it's not a metaphor for where the team is at . This was our first negative result of the group and first goal conceded. Until tonight we had a perfect record in the group so don't get carried away with the doom and gloom . Cska and Basel being closer to us has a lot more to do with how bad Benfica have been

Talk about a game of two halves. That was at least 1 point dropped unnecessarily. We should have been well on our way to all 3 points by half-time. Then by the end and with the way the second half went, deservedly took none.

The team had started to lose control of the tempo and possession long before Pogba went off. They went in at half-time and should have been 3-4 goals up, shame the players came out in the second half acting as if that was true of the actual score.

Rojo overall had a very good game. Great to see him getting straight back into it. However, he was blessed that the ref chose not to award a penalty and a yellow when he definitely did commit a foul in the second half. The ref and the goal-side official absolutely shat themselves, frozen in a stare-off "G'wan, you do it" - "No...you" - "Right fúck it, nothing happened, let's move on."

Meh. We never really tried tonight, it is what it is. Basel away hasn't been the kindest fixture for English teams, and this result just adds to that. Short of a complete capitulation at home vs CSKA, we should still top this group without really breaking a sweat doing it.

Finally, it was great to see Zlatan make an appearance. It has to be huge for him to not only get another chance at high-level football after that injury at 35, but the CL is a big milestone in that recovery. We're likely not going to win it, but I'd be most delighted for Ibra out of everyone if we did.

Tonight's appearance saw him become the first player to play for 7 different clubs in the CL. The absolute hoor :pac:

Tylerdurex wrote: »
    Nonsense.No it's not a metaphor for where the team is at . This was our first negative result of the group and first goal conceded. Until tonight we had a perfect record in the group so don't get carried away with the doom and gloom . Cska and Basel being closer to us has a lot more to do with how bad Benfica have been

I’m talking about the team overall, no just in the CL group.

It’s frustrating that you get posting “doom and gloom” thrown at you if you have a narrative that is any way expressing some negatives.

Lukaku isn't getting much service.

He also is doing very little with what he does get.

Both things are true. I praised him a lot for his great start but he isn't playing particularly well right now and it isn't helping matters.

Lukaku had a chance gifted to him by Pogba and missed

• Advertisement

Some more thoughts on last nights game;

Pogba the best player on the pitch for 45 minutes. He looked to be tiring early in the second half. Needs to be minded and I think Jose is doing so.

Lukaku needs to improve conversion rate, it was a clear cut chance provided to him. His 1 v 1's situations need to improve.

And hitting the post twice last night gives me shudders of last season.

I thought Rojo and Romero were excellent throughout the match. Shame to conceed.

Herreras limitations are becoming glaringly obvious with each passing week.

However, he was blessed that the ref chose not to award a penalty and a yellow when he definitely did commit a foul in the second half. The ref and the goal-side official absolutely shat themselves, frozen in a stare-off "G'wan, you do it" - "No...you" - "Right fúck it, nothing happened, let's move on."

Really? If we're thinking of the same incident then I think that was a dive all day and Sunday. A full on, kick and flick, game the system, cheating dive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

It’s frustrating that you get posting “doom and gloom” thrown at you if you have a narrative that is any way expressing some negatives.

I know, it's a touch annoying right :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Yes it does but realistically CSKA would have to beat us 5 or 6 nil and Basel would need a similarly big victory over Benfica to boost their GD and well, neither of those are likely to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://youtu.be/EaC6LTIxBrA

The King is interviewed by Full Time Devils on the 25th anniversary of him joining United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Some more thoughts on last nights game;

Pogba the best player on the pitch for 45 minutes. He looked to be tiring early in the second half. Needs to be minded and I think Jose is doing so.

Lukaku needs to improve conversion rate, it was a clear cut chance provided to him. His 1 v 1's situations need to improve.

And hitting the post twice last night gives me shudders of last season.

I thought Rojo and Romero were excellent throughout the match. Shame to conceed.

Herreras limitations are becoming glaringly obvious with each passing week.

Getting to the point where I'd like to pressure the manager to play Shaw, and let us see for ourselves what the problem is.

Game was screaming out for him, as our most of our games to be honest. Be in his element supporting Martial or Rashford, whipping balls into Fellaini or Lukaku and interplaying with Pogba and Mata/Mhiki in the attack. And that pace, if anything our team looks more and more amazing when its faster.

Just ****ing play him and let us work out ourselves if hes not good enough, or if you have some stupid bee in your bonnet.

Brighton at home this weekend, game I expect to win comfortably, just ****ing start the lad

Doc all due respects that's what the managers job is to decide what players to play and who adds to the teams and who doesn't he is not there to allow the fans to see for themselves if a particular player is good enough or not.

I don't know what's wrong with Shaw but it's pretty bad when he can't get any minutes but players coming back after 6 months out after injury can work their way into the squad.

I don't think it's his talent anyway so there has to be something else jose does not like.

Doc all due respects that's what the managers job is to decide what players to play and who adds to the teams and who doesn't he is not there to allow the fans to see for themselves if a particular player is good enough or not.

I don't know what's wrong with Shaw but it's pretty bad when he can't get any minutes but players coming back after 6 months out after injury can work their way into the squad.

I don't think it's his talent anyway so there has to be something else jose does not like.

He obviously thinks he is good enough or else he wouldnt be on the bench, but as doc said game on sat is a perfect game to play him in. In saying that ashley young hasnt really done anything wrong to get dropped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

A 32 year old Ashley Young and Daly fcuking Blind are playing ahead of Shaw, I think it’s safe to say whatever he is doing behind the scenes isn’t good enough.

He’s pretty much finished.

Really? If we're thinking of the same incident then I think that was a dive all day and Sunday. A full on, kick and flick, game the system, cheating dive.

And some viewers (like myself) if so!

I haven't looked at the incident since, but UEFA's penchant for multiple slo-mo replays of everything left me in no doubt at the time that there was contact. The Basel player did make a meal of it, but if the penalty had have been given I would have had no complaints. I've seen them given for similar.

The ref still froze though. Maybe he just saw it as a faultless coming together, but it clearly seemed like a case where action should have been taken - Penalty to Basel, or a yellow to the Basel player.

It's nothing really in the grand scheme of things. Plus we've seen Rojo have a touch of luck when it comes to decisions (not) awarded against him in the recent past. It was a great game from him last night, and that'll do.

• Advertisement

I haven't looked at the incident since, but UEFA's penchant for multiple slo-mo replays of everything left me in no doubt at the time that there was contact. The Basel player did make a meal of it, but if the penalty had have been given I would have had no complaints. I've seen them given for similar.

The ref still froze though. Maybe he just saw it as a faultless coming together, but it clearly seemed like a case where action should have been taken - Penalty to Basel, or a yellow to the Basel player.

It's nothing really in the grand scheme of things. Plus we've seen Rojo have a touch of luck when it comes to decisions (not) awarded against him in the recent past. It was a great game from him last night, and that'll do.

Just because there is contact, it doesnt mean its a penalty. A lot of fans get confused about this. Football at the end of the day is a contact sport

I haven't looked at the incident since, but UEFA's penchant for multiple slo-mo replays of everything left me in no doubt at the time that there was contact.

Of course there was contact, the Basle player made absolutely sure of it.

Here is a replay, I would say to do one thing, watch the Basle players left leg throughout the entire incident...

I'm not mad about it or anything, but it was a stone cold dive.

When did we sign him?

He thought he signed for us when he went to city. First day at training he asked where was giggsy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Yeah, what Jayo26 posted just faster than me.

Lukaku had to pay 450 dollars to LA police dept for his antics in the summer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

All that media reaction for that haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Has Herrera forgotten how to play football. This is a guy who was called up to the Spanish squad not so long ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Right before Christmas too! Looks like it will be Christmas on a budget for the Lukakus this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Right before Christmas too! Looks like it will be Christmas on a budget for the Lukakus this year.

Ah he will be alright,he will be getting the Xmas bonus at the start of December :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

PSG want Fellaini,it's from the Mail so take that with a pinch of salt.

PSG want Fellaini,it's from the Mail so take that with a pinch of salt.

lhtyofj.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Sky had a nice piece about Andreas I havent seen much of him at Valencia this year. Apparently he is playing on the wings this year in a 4-4-2. Hes learning plenty of new positions from his years in Spain. Should benefit us well the versatility. Hes also classified as homegrown for us isn't he?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

I was mainly picking up on your following comment ''The fact that we aren’t technically still qualified from this god awful group going into the last game is sort of a metaphor for where the team are at. Streets ahead of the three teams in the group and yet limping over the line''

This argument is skewered
    Before the loss to Basle we had 12 points from 4 games a perfect record with no goals conceded ,we couldn't have done any better than this ,there are teams which have qualified from other groups with less than 12 points. The point is before the loss to basle we cant control the points other teams in the group got against other teams . The reason why we haven't qualified yet is because most other groups have 2 whooping boys and 2 stand out teams ,benfica being so bad has allowed cska and basel to be closer to us, If benfica had gotten their share of the points against cska and basel as expected then we would have qualified after GW 4

• Advertisement

Presser

Baily & Jones out

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Presser

Baily & Jones out

Both to start and us to keep a clean sheet now :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

pjohnson wrote: »
    Sky had a nice piece about Andreas I havent seen much of him at Valencia this year. Apparently he is playing on the wings this year in a 4-4-2. Hes learning plenty of new positions from his years in Spain. Should benefit us well the versatility. Hes also classified as homegrown for us isn't he?

He also says he doesn’t want to come back in January, dunno if he fancies his chances at United..

Missed the match on Wednesday, Mrs Astradave was too busy having astrababy.. were we as bad as I have been hearing from the group messages?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

astradave wrote: »
    He also says he doesn’t want to come back in January, dunno if he fancies his chances at United..

Missed the match on Wednesday, Mrs Astradave was too busy having astrababy.. were we as bad as I have been hearing from the group messages?
    Tbf when/if Maro goes there is Andreas place in the team. Unless Ander bucks up he wont be lasting much longer.

astradave wrote: »

Congratulation pal say yellow to baby jayo1 I'm really honoured.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement