Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭rekluse

Just saw on the Sky app in the paper roundup that Lukaku might miss the derby cos of a ban. Dunno what that is about.

In a build up of youngs goal he threw a leg out, crazy if he gets a ban for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

He probably will get done for it. He kicked out twice, pretty wildly.

https://streamable.com/0wjo3

He'd miss Arsenal and City, maybe Watford depending on how quick a decision is made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

J. Marston wrote: »

He'd miss Arsenal and City, maybe Watford depending on how quick a decision is made.

Lukaku hitting the Bong...:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Lads looking at the replays of that goal it just goes to show how lucky or unlucky people can be in football that shot took an unreal deflection and only squeezed in the top corner if it hadn't of taken deflection Ashley young would of been berated for the worst shot ever and United would be 10 points behind city.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

jayo26 wrote: »
    Lads looking at the replays of that goal it just goes to show how lucky or unlucky people can be in football that shot took an unreal deflection and only squeezed in the top corner if it hadn't of taken deflection Ashley young would of been berated for the worst shot ever and United would be 10 points behind city.

We were all over them when we scored, and the goal was coming anyway imo. That it finally came through a lucky deflection doesn't take away from that. If it hadn't gone in, we'd have kept pushing anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I've a bad feeling about Watford tomorrow.

They are flying atm and playing without any fear.

We on the other hand are sluggish and struggle a bit to control games.

Wtf was Lukaku at :mad:

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Wtf was Lukaku at :mad:

What is this about?

What is this about?

Clip above of him kicking out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Not like he scores in the big games anyway :):):)

• Advertisement

Lord TSC wrote: »
    We were all over them when we scored, and the goal was coming anyway imo. That it finally came through a lucky deflection doesn't take away from that. If it hadn't gone in, we'd have kept pushing anyway.

Oh yeh I get that it was same with city yesterday they were dominating but it's just how fine these things can be it's crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Dermot Gallagher on Sky Sports saying it’s unlikely that Lukaku will get a ban, just seen headline, didn’t get a chance to read article but I’d say it’s something to do about proving intent or so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

We had then under a bit of pressure but were failing to break them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

If there's one positive to being so far behind City, it's that Jose's attitude of "don't lose the big games" will surely have to go out the window. We have to go to Arsenal next weekend and win, whereas with a smaller gap I think we may have seen a repeat of Liverpool away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

J. Marston wrote: »

cant see him being done for that. its was nothing, 2 back flicks that didnt even connect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

If there's one positive to being so far behind City, it's that Jose's attitude of "don't lose the big games" will surely have to go out the window. We have to go to Arsenal next weekend and win, whereas with a smaller gap I think we may have seen a repeat of Liverpool away.

Utter cockwomble unfortunately, José will play for and get a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

We really should be going to Arsenal and playing for a win regardless of our position in the table. They're soft

Jose has a very good record against arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭xtal191

Next 3 league games are all tough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Advertisement

Phew! Great news!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

We really should be going to Arsenal and playing for a win regardless of our position in the table. They're soft

Interesting, even if Jose camps them on the edge of the box he is trying to win. What would you class as going for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Got off big time with that :)

Unearthly wrote: »
    Got off big time with that :)

not really, there was nothing in it

Clumsy spinning heel kick nothing to see really ;);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Silly to think Jose will do anything else than his usual don’t lose tactics against City and Arsenal.

Look at the points between the top 8 teams, we could be in a battle for 4th yet the title is gone.

Silly to think Jose will do anything else than his usual don’t lose tactics against City and Arsenal.

Look at the points between the top 8 teams, we could be in a battle for 4th yet the title is gone.

against city we will have to go for it, nothing less than 3 points or the title is gone.

We usually do well against Arsenal. They have soft bellies, we really should be taking all 3 point there

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭rekluse

xtal191 wrote: »
    Next 3 league games are all tough

Yup, got a bad feeling about tomorrow night. Wouldn't be surprised if we drop points. Last season there was a shocker and they are in a much stronger position now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Ugh, Watford last season. Bottom of the barrel with Rooney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

I'm more worried with Watford tomorrow than Arsenal at the weekend. Marco Silva looks a fantastic manager and is definitely going places, got that Watford team playing very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

AidoEirE wrote: »
    I'm more worried with Watford tomorrow than Arsenal at the weekend. Marco Silva looks a fantastic manager and is definitely going places, got that Watford team playing very well.

Both will be tough, Arsenal are in decent form of late

DM_7 wrote: »
    Interesting, even if Jose camps them on the edge of the box he is trying to win. What would you class as going for it?

Matching, if not surpassing Arsenal for shots on target, passes and possession. Not playing Ashley Young as a defensive winger.

Ah here lads, worrying about Watford?

Watford have conceeded more goals than any other team in the Top 14, with only 4 teams actually letting in more than them. Admittedly, our away form has been dodgy (we're 6th in that table) but Watford are 15th on their home form.

We should murder them. I despair if people genuinely worry about them. Thats not to say its not a possibility we could struggle, but Watford, ffs.

Watford have conceeded more goals than any other team in the Top 14, with only 4 teams actually letting in more than them. Admittedly, our away form has been dodgy (we're 6th in that table) but Watford are 15th on their home form.

We should murder them. I despair if people genuinely worry about them. Thats not to say its not a possibility we could struggle, but Watford, ffs.

Agree they have conceded 3 more goals then the next worse in the top 10 like ;);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

They scored more goals than they've shipped in. They play an open style of football so i expect they wont put 11 behind the ball and it should be an open game. It should be a good 3 points for us but you never know. Huddersfield and Stoke come to mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

It's a potential banana skin and hopefully the players don't take the field with a 'the games already won' mentality.

Nothing to fear and if we apply ourselves to a standard we're capable of it then we should come away with all 3 points..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,168 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Matching, if not surpassing Arsenal for shots on target, passes and possession. Not playing Ashley Young as a defensive winger.

So Luke Shaw? Daley Blind? Marcos Rojo? Matteo Darmian?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

pjohnson wrote: »
    So Luke Shaw? Daley Blind? Marcos Rojo? Matteo Darmian?
    I think he's saying not playing young further up the pitch that those guys or Valencia as he did earlier this season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Shots on target kind of makes a little sense. Other three make no sense to me. Don't need to have more ball or passes to comfortably win a game. Young is playing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭billyhead

Does anyone think we will make any signings of intent in January. Theirs a lot of talk of Danny Rose filling the left back position. That would be my only guess as to whom we would sign.

• Advertisement

billyhead wrote: »
    Does anyone think we will make any signings of intent in January. Theirs a lot of talk of Danny Rose filling the left back position. That would be my only guess as to whom we would sign.

Seems to be chatter we want Ozil, but Arsenal would rather push him off to Barca.

DM_7 wrote: »
    Shots on target kind of makes a little sense. Other three make no sense to me. Don't need to have more ball or passes to comfortably win a game. Young is playing well.

Shots on target only kind of makes a little sense? How else are we supposed to get goals?

We're more likely to beat Arsenal if we own the ball, control the game and force them to play on our terms. That will inevitably reflect in the passing and possession statistics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I think there are players that United would move for if they look like they could move in January - Greizmann, Ozil, Rose would be the prime targets, maybe someone like Grimaldo too.

United tend not to make big pushes for players in January though - so I reckon we will make enquiries and act if it looks like something can be done, but not push to get it done in similar ways we did with Matic or Peresic (even if that one failed)

I do think United need to get a left back - but I don't think they will settle for a second or third choice target in January if they think they can get their primary target in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Shots on target only kind of makes a little sense? How else are we supposed to get goals?

We're more likely to beat Arsenal if we own the ball, control the game and force them to play on our terms. That will inevitably reflect in the passing and possession statistics.

A typical way of beating Arsenal has been to hit them on the break - in order to hit a team on the break you need them to have the ball in the first place.

A lot of teams have had good success vs Liverpool by sitting deep and hitting them because Liverpool's style is very based on fast breaks themselves - so not giving the space to do that can frustrate them.

Leicster City won the league without dominating the ball.

Under LVG United would regularly dominate possession against loads of teams - but teams were able to soak up that possession and then get a result against us.

A typical way of beating Arsenal has been to hit them on the break - in order to hit a team on the break you need them to have the ball in the first place.

A lot of teams have had good success vs Liverpool by sitting deep and hitting them because Liverpool's style is very based on fast breaks themselves - so not giving the space to do that can frustrate them.

Leicster City won the league without dominating the ball.

Under LVG United would regularly dominate possession against loads of teams - but teams were able to soak up that possession and then get a result against us.

That's true. In the long run though I think dominating and controlling games rather than sitting back and hoping to get something on the break is more likely to lead to success. Arsenal will want to have the ball and play their nice football, they're probably as likely, if not more so, to eventually break us down and nab a goal or score from a free kick or penalty than we are to get a goal by sitting back and hoping to catch them on the counter. The likes of Lukaku, Pogba, Matic, Fellaini should be bullying those Arsenal players, not sitting deep and letting them play. That's my opinion anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Arsenal will "hope" to break us down eventually by passing it around a lot in unthreatening areas, United will "hope" to catch them out by letting them play around in front and break on them with pace and tear them apart when they lose the ball.

Two pretty valid ways of trying to win a football match.

Fergie was fond of the old counter attack but could do both, like Mourinho, LVG was fond of the breaking teams down, like Guardiola.

I don't mind which way you play it as long as you win actually. Counter attacking goals are as much a thing of beauty as intricate passing and moving that shift defenders out of position and get in behind to score tap ins.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Seems to be chatter we want Ozil, but Arsenal would rather push him off to Barca.

Barca seem to have others in mind.

Papers saying Jose wants new left and right backs signed over the next 2 windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Watford played superb game against Chelsea and should have won it, they missed few chances and conceded late goals. Defensively they are shaky but they are very good team. I can see us dropping points against Watford, it won't surprise me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

At home we always go for win, it won't change. Approach to the game will be different but it's to win the game rather than come away with a single point like he sets up in away games.

Anything positive going on? :)
    I expect to see a different team to that of the last 2 games. Jose acknowledged that his midfield allowed too much space on Saturday.
    I expect a reaction and to see Mata (awful on Saturday) dropped and either Herrea (needs to improve) or Fellani to come in to a midfield 3.
    I expect all other personnel to stay the same.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement