Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

v3ttel wrote: »
    Seemed like all the United players paused to drink a full bottle of dreamy sleepy nighty snoozy snooze .

Sorry, What ???

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

s8n wrote: »
    Sorry, What ???

Not a Father Ted fan then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Not a Father Ted fan then?

Those are fake hands!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Kick back and enjoy the fun tonight lads / lassies
    I've a good feeling about the games :)

On a little bit more negative side tho, both Matic & Fellani injured and quite possibly miss the weekend games.
    Hard imagine what the formation will be on Saturday and who plays alongside Pogba now :/

I wouldnt be afraid to start mctominay if everyone else injured. Hes a good player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

astradave wrote: »
    Those are fake hands!!

Romeo Sensini would teach Lukaku and Ibra a thing or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Great Fan Footage of Ashley Young goal is on the Benchwarmer Twitter page about 13 hours ago it was put up.

sorry can't link.

Good win last night. Watford on good run so good to get 3 points, 4 goals too nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

bangkok wrote: »
    I wouldnt be afraid to start mctominay if everyone else injured. Hes a good player

I would be. At this point in time he's a decent young player and nothing more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If Matic and Fellaini are both out - I can't see anything other than Pogba - Herrera and either Lingard or McTominay. Both would be ahead of Miki and Mata for a third CM spot and I think it would be a third CM rather than a number 10 we go for in the abscene of Matic in particular. I think McTominay would provide a bit more resolve in midfield with Pogba and Herrera than Lingard but Lingard would provide better offensive movement and defensive press.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Or Young in midfield and Darmian at full back again.

If Matic and Fellaini are both out - I can't see anything other than Pogba - Herrera and either Lingard or McTominay. Both would be ahead of Miki and Mata for a third CM spot and I think it would be a third CM rather than a number 10 we go for in the abscene of Matic in particular. I think McTominay would provide a bit more resolve in midfield with Pogba and Herrera than Lingard but Lingard would provide better offensive movement and defensive press.

I think Pogba has been hugely underwhelming when tasked with being the creative presence in a 3 man midfield. So id like to see Jessie get the nod.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Or Young in midfield and Darmian at full back again.

If he plays midfield it will be as a winger on the front left, beside a 3 man midfield. I don't see Jose going 442. I can't see us playing another other than 3 central midfielders. whether that is 433 or 532 - I just can't see it being 442.

beno619 wrote: »
    I think Pogba has been hugely underwhelming when tasked with being the creative presence in a 3 man midfield. So id like to see Jessie get the nod.

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I seriously think that some people do be watching completely different games to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I seriously think that some people do be watching completely different games to me

Aye it's fairly mental. He's been superb in that role and more tellingly is how rubbish we've been when he wasn't in there.

Look at last night again, another 4 scored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Results speak for themselves really. Pogba misses 10 games, team stops scoring for fun. Pogba returns and the results instantly improve.

Results speak for themselves really. Pogba misses 10 games, team stops scoring for fun. Pogba returns and the results instantly improve.

From what I can tell in the league this year when pogba started...

7 games
    6 wins
    1 draw
    0 loss
    21 scored (avg 3 per game)
    5 conceded
    4 times scored 4 goals
    3 Pogba goals
    3 pogba assists

If he plays midfield it will be as a winger on the front left, beside a 3 man midfield. I don't see Jose going 442. I can't see us playing another other than 3 central midfielders. whether that is 433 or 532 - I just can't see it being 442.

I just assume it would be the same as the Liverpool game. Pogba and Herrera as the two deeper midfielders, Young nominally one of the 3 ahead of them but spending most of his time deeper and putting in a shift. I don't recall him spending much time on the wing against Liverpool.

I would be. At this point in time he's a decent young player and nothing more.

They are all decent young players until they are given a chance.

Also i cant believe your views on pogba, he has been class since his comeback

Ah ur mad in the head, 6-1 last night cracking match mind

Pogba went off in the 18 minute against Basle.

We went on to win 3-0, and then the next 5 results were 4-0, 4-1, 1-0, 4-1, 4-0. Thats 20 goals in 6 games without him.

We scored plenty for fun without Pogba, right up until the Liverpool performance killed the momentum. I don't want to diminish his importance but I do dislike the revisionism that surrounds his absence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I think City's freakishly amazing form is skewing what a good season we are having. To put it in a little bit of perspective if they kept up their average points per game for the season they would finish on 108.With 95 being the highest any team has managed in a season since the 20 team format.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    :eek:

Highlight the games where he's done a good job in that role ?

I missed Basel away and apparently we had a good first half.

Jayop wrote: »
    Aye it's fairly mental. He's been superb in that role and more tellingly is how rubbish we've been when he wasn't in there.

Look at last night again, another 4 scored.

According to Who Scored he's played in a 3 man midfield against Stoke & Basel.

I didnt think he was spectacular vs Stoke and I missed most of teh Basel game.

Please highlight his performances as the furthest forward in a 3 man midfield please ?

According to Who Scored he's played in a 3 man midfield against Stoke & Basel.

I didnt think he was spectacular vs Stoke and I messed most of teh Basel game.

Please highlight his performances as the furthest forward in a 3 man midfield please ?

We played a 3 man midfield most of the season in a 433. I'm not scrolling back but I think you mentioned him being the creative one not being the further forward so that's changing the goal posts a bit. Any game we've played as a 433 which imo has been most of the season he's been our most creative player for the majority of them.

We played a 3 man midfield most of the season in a 433. I'm not scrolling back but I think you mentioned him being the creative one not being the further forward so that's changing the goal posts a bit. Any game we've played as a 433 which imo has been most of the season he's been our most creative player for the majority of them.

For the past 3 months in this thread "3 man midfield" has clearly meant 3 CM's and no No.10 you must have misunderstood a number of conversations if this needs to be explained.

"I think Pogba has been hugely underwhelming when tasked with being the creative presence in a 3 man midfield. So id like to see Jessie get the nod."

ShooterSF wrote: »
    I think City's freakishly amazing form is skewing what a good season we are having. To put it in a little bit of perspective if they kept up their average points per game for the season they would finish on 108.With 95 being the highest any team has managed in a season since the 20 team format.

Ya what city are doing is unprecedented but a few here seem to forget that. Sometimes your best isn't good enough and if city walk it you have to take your hat off to them.

Pep also came into a much better squad of players then Jose too. Of the best players at united ATM Jose has brought most of them in

They are all decent young players until they are given a chance.

Also i cant believe your views on pogba, he has been class since his comeback

Your fobbing off Arsenal's midfield while stating McTomminay is ready to start a PL game against a top 6 side.

I cant believe your views on our midfield that has been bypassed by the mighty Stoke, Brighton, Huddersfield & Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

I think the games against Arsenal and City will tell us whether we are improving or not.
    Our two toughest games this season so far (Liverpool and Chelsea )and we have been poor in both. 4 points from those two games will be a step in the right direction. Lifeless draws like the Liverpool game and we can forget about winning the League irrespective of what players we have at our disposal

Robson99 wrote: »
    I think the games against Arsenal and City will tell us whether we are improving or not.
    Our two toughest games this season so far (Liverpool and Chelsea )and we have been poor in both. 4 points from those two games will be a step in the right direction. Lifeless draws like the Liverpool game and we can forget about winning the League irrespective of what players we have at our disposal

We need 6 points in those games to even have a hope of making a title challenge interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

adox wrote: »
    Herrera has been poor since he came on.

He was absolutely poxy. What is wrong with that fella, his passing was actually atrocious

Pogba went off in the 18 minute against Basle.

We went on to win 3-0, and then the next 5 results were 4-0, 4-1, 1-0, 4-1, 4-0. Thats 20 goals in 6 games without him.

We scored plenty for fun without Pogba, right up until the Liverpool performance killed the momentum. I don't want to diminish his importance but I do dislike the revisionism that surrounds his absence.

We played some absolute cannon fodder in them games. Everton who were and still are a shambles, burton, palace who hadnt scored a goal and cska moscow.

Pogba is our best outfield player and is a massive loss when he is not available.

adox wrote: »
    Ah sure he’s gone from brilliant in the first 11 games to brutal in the second 11(that’s the narrative anyway)

It’s a bit of a concern but the goals will come again and we will have forgotten about the run that he has had.

To be honest that sitter aside, its not like he's doing the "in the right positions and missing" he just hasnt been getting great service.

His general linkup play and work rate have been top notch and a few assists in the mix. Still an asset and being that focal point. Goals will come back, no real concern there.

As a somewhat tactical concern, now in my head that I've convinced myself 4-3-3, or a three man midfield (that could be 3-5-2) is something worth exploring properly, I keep seeing issues with the 4-2-3-1, mostly the players crowding the central space where ideally we want Lukaku playing, and he then drifts into weird wide positions, or sometimes way too deep to get involved.

Reminds me of the time Van Gaals first season was pure huffing and puffing and then he went 4-3-3 and created a vacuum in the 10 position and we had a nice little run. Might be worth leaving that gap for a Pogba/Herrera/Fellaini run, and leave Lukaku operate in it.

While it's nice that we have players moving and interchanging, we have too much traffic in the central position allowing centre backs and centre midfields to quickly pack us out and especially Lukaku, who seems to be dealing with 2-3 players each time he gets the ball

Some sign of my view on Rojo, mental tackle aside, I feel more comfortable with the team having Rojo in that defence. Nice to see he seems to have come back the Rojo from last season. Really happy to see Lindeloff have two good games. Looks so slick on the ball.

No investment in the fella, just been tough to watch a new signing struggle so badly, hopefully this is him getting comfortable. I like his aggression in a tackle and just how he operates on the ball. Smalling while I do like defensively, kinda scares me when he is on the ball. I can see why Southgate was a bit scathing, looks so uncomfortable at times passing, this real awkward body shape to ALWAYS use his right foot. Lindeloff, Bailly and Rojo in a back three looks sxc on paper, and allows a three man midfield of Pogba, Fellaini (Who we need to replace with Toni Kroos) and Matic. ****it, throw Martial up with Lukaku and lets have a real party

We havn't played a 4-3-3 most of the season.

Jose has used a 4-2-3-1. The problem with a 4-2-3-1 being it has no actual obvious shape in attack and defence and its a bit of a myth formation (so I've come to believe)

A 4-3-3 would be unmistakable from seeing, and we definitely dont use it. I don't believe anyway. I think that when you see Pogba in receipt of the ball deep, its a very much indication of him and MAtic playing as deep midfielders. As opposed to a 4-3-3 where we would play one DM and two CM's (not the two DM's and 10 method) and you'd see Pogba not retreating so deep.

It can be a little semantics getting bogged down in the formation to a certain extent, but I believe some of the staple formations allow for more structure and definition where routines can be built. 4-2-3-1 is a mess where there is no real opportunity to work any routine or passage of style, just hoping everyone has their **** in order

We played some absolute cannon fodder in them games. Everton who were and still are a shambles, burton, palace who hadnt scored a goal and cska moscow.

Pogba is our best outfield player and is a massive loss when he is not available.

Pogba is clearly going to be the new Carrick in terms of dividing opinion on importance.

This is the one instance where I'm in total agreement to you. I appreciate people have differing views, I just cant work out how theyarrive there.

For me Pogba is THE lynchpin in this team. The focus tends to be too much on the raw data of goals or assists. Just how he plays in the game, his change of tempo, his marauding runs, his willingness to take the ball in ANY situation and his range of passing.

Absolutely tremendous player, a wonderful midfielder that I'm delighted we have in the team, and it just seems evident we are better with than without. Sure he wont carry a game on his own, but come on it's 2017, what team has one player that carriers them through anything bar Messi and Ronaldo, of whom arn't doing it that much anymore.

We can go back to normality when Carrick returns into the team and we sit happy on the opposite ends of the debate

• Advertisement

Pogba smalling and young are the 3 players up for the player of the month award

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Is anyone actually downplaying Pogbas importance to the team?

One poster suggested that he felt that Pogbas creative influence was underwhelming on the rare occasion we've played 4-3-3 (as opposed to 4-2-3-1 or 3-4-3) and this is the formation we are assuming we'll play in the next 2 games.

All of a sudden there's an onslaught of "are you crazy?" or "look at our scoring stats when pogba features" type posts which completely miss the original point (whether it's a valid point or not).

A few more posts then counter argue some of these hyperbolic stats and all of a sudden it feels like we've found ourselves in a "How important is Pogba to the this United team" debate that came from nowhere.

@ S.M.B

Its the default reaction to anything that remotely resembles criticism of Pogba.

4231 and 433 both have a three man midfield and the only difference is the diamond of the three is the other way around in a 433.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

That's a difference none the less and beno619 was simply saying he didn't think Pogba was at his creative best when utilised in this formation.

I'm not even sure I agree with him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Can we not all just unite and enjoy watching the other 3 top clubs in action tonight knowing we have our points in the bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

jayo26 wrote: »
    Can we not all just unite and enjoy watching the other 3 top clubs in action tonight knowing we have our points in the bag.

We could but they're all at home to shíte (Yes, Huddersfield are still shíte despite their win against us).

Stoke might be able to take something from Liverpool, maybe, since they're playing in Mordor The Britannia.

Edit: Arsenal 1 up already.

jayo26 wrote: »

no

:D

no

:D

Sorry I ment cool posters unite...

J. Marston wrote: »
    We could but they're all at home to shíte (Yes, Huddersfield are still shíte despite their win against us).

Stoke might be able to take something from Liverpool, maybe, since they're playing in Mordor The Britannia.

Edit: Arsenal 1 up already.

Stoke aren't a top club so don't mind if they win or lose.

Bah looks like top of table will be as is only spurs dropping points. The arsenal game the weekend will be pretty important for both teams with city coming up after that we don't want to be dropping places whatever about loosing touch on them.

Wayne Rooney hat trick.... last goal from inside his own half

Wayne Rooney hat trick.... last goal from inside his own half

Hit it so nice it was some technique..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

It really is the hope that kills you...... Southampton have equalized.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

If City draw tonight MOTD will be cancelled

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement