Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Robson99 wrote: »
    If we put in performances like the Liverpool and Chelsea games well then Mourhino better start looking over his shoulder IMO

So in the Hypothetical situation that we lose and perform badly in both, you would presumably want Jose out of the club, who, in your opinion, would you like to replace him with realistically?

Also directed at Secman who seems to ignore me every time I ask this question to him.

You dont think there will be pressure on him if we fail to perform in the next two games ?

No

Should Klopp, Wenger & Pochettino be put under pressure for repeat poor performances and results this season?

Our best start to a season in how long on jose is under pressure if we dont perform via arsenal and city? so even if we win and play badly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Just remember lads whatever you say is been screenshot because it comes in handy hahaha you couldn't make it up....

There must be a fair size screenshot folder from my posts haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

jayo26 wrote: »
    Just remember lads whatever you say is been screenshot because it comes in handy hahaha you couldn't make it up....

There must be a fair size screenshot folder from my posts haha.

Are you for real? People gather post screenshots and just wait to use them?

That's so fúcking sad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Are you for real? People gather post screenshots and just wait to use them?

That's so fúcking sad.

Yep exactly what I thought too. I wonder do they have a nice filing system in order too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

astradave wrote: »
    So in the Hypothetical situation that we lose and perform badly in both, you would presumably want Jose out of the club, who, in your opinion, would you like to replace him with realistically?

Also directed at Secman who seems to ignore me every time I ask this question to him.

I suppose Pulis would be the pick. Make sure we dont get hauled into the inevitable relegation battle that would surely be looming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Our best start to a season in how long on jose is under pressure if we dont perform via arsenal and city? so even if we win and play badly?

Any other season united would be much closer to city or top. City’s form has been exceptional and record breaking, so why judge Jose against a record that even SAF didn’t match?

United are coming from much further back so matching city’s spending won’t overtake them. Since SAF left, city have won the league twice and spent at least the same on players/squad. Uniteds squad has struggled to get in the top 4 during tat period which says it all about the quality of squads Pep and Jose inherited. What has Jose received in funds to be overtaking city that Pep hasn’t? Why should united be ahead of them? There is no rational argument that can be made as to why united SHOULD be ahead of them.

I would go so far as to say 2nd spot is as good as united could reasonably expect. A decade of crazy spending allowed city to stockpile players which skewers the “net spend” column when people try to make out they are not actually spending that much.

Then there is the elephant in the room which is the owners or Woodward and the roles they have played in the decline of the club. Under SAF and Gill the club was run so much more efficiently and effectively. United seldom made major or obvious signings like Mata, zlatan, pogba, di Maria etc. It’s not to say these are not welcome or quality but at least one a year is a huge change from the previously near flawless strategy of making minor changes to the team but keeping a consistent strategy. The manger of massive clubs have input into signings but they do not get to hand pick every player that is signed.

Jose Coming in has given the club a direction and purpose that has been lacking for sometime. Most of his major signings have enchanted the first team and the club is definitely on an upward trend. The football isn’t always entertaining but it wasn’t uncommon to see SAF in his final years play some awful stuff.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Yep exactly what I thought too. I wonder do they have a nice filing system in order too.

No. Jayo(26) stop pretending you dont do what Jayo(p) does. All you Jayos are the same. You wont fool me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Taking screenshots of what a person has said on boards...peak Liverpool fan. That guy seriously needs a hobby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Sorry lads forgot we were at home to City. 4 points would be very acceptable imo. 2 points would be so so but not a disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Has there been any official word from the club on Matic's condition?
    Feel a lot better about the Arsenal game if he's anchoring midfield.

ElChe32 wrote: »
    Taking screenshots of what a person has said on boards...peak Liverpool fan. That guy seriously needs a hobby.

Who is actually doing this??

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Who is actually doing this??

I would love to know this, though I do have someone in my mind :pac:

Edit: NVM checked the Liverpool thread... I wouldn’t say this word often but that is Pathetic

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Even hinting at "pressure" on Jose when we are having out of our best seasons in years shows how utterly spoiled some people are....

Hang on someone from boards was shot over a comment they made about football.

#purplemonkeydishwasher

Hang on someone from boards was shot over a comment they made about football.

#purplemonkeydishwasher

Is this your new persona?

I like it :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

nullzero wrote: »
    You're taking the argument well away from what I was saying.

Yes big clubs spend huge money and no one has the divine right to win anything but that wasn't being argued.
    City are where they are because their owners wanted to stick it to united because their money didn't get them what they wanted. They could have bought Liverpool or any club bar Chelsea with that money but chose city.

If they wanted to stick it to United then they really should have bought Liverpool instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

So what you said if a Billionaire took over which they are and did take over.

No, he said bankrolled by a billionaire, not just bought by one. Big difference

Kind of a different situation though no ? :P

Okay what i meant was if we had citys money no club in the world and im talking Barca Real the lot would be able to touch us.

If the rules of FFP were upheld then neither City Real or PSG could compete with us in the transfer market

• Advertisement

United are a sugar daddy club,they compete with top clubs for the best players,your breaking my heart with your troubles with money at the club.
    I am leaving it at that especially as with the "No history comment"

Do even know what the term sugar daddy means? United have money but unlike City and PSG it's money they earned themselves . They haven't been bank folled by a foreign invester

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I might end up missing the Arsenal game Saturday. Apparently all the magic of the XMas experience in Waterford is best after dark. I had plans of getting there early and be home before kick off but the missus has other ideas.
    Why can't it be like the old days when we went to see Santa in a makeshift grotto in the back of the local supermarket,now it has to be "festival this, experience that" and all at eyewatering prices.....Rant over.

Someone said in the summer that United were the only club who had the money to spend on Neymar where it wouldn't have been an issue with FFP. The fact PSG aren't been investigated for 12 months after the actual rules have been broken stinks and is a total ****in farce . What if they win the champions league this season? What happens then? If the only punishment these clubs get for breaking Financial fair play rules are fines then the club's in question and the Arabs will only be laughing at the situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Tylerdurex wrote: »
    Someone said in the summer that United were the only club who had the money to spend on Neymar where it wouldn't have been an issue with FFP. The fact PSG aren't been investigated for 12 months after the actual rules have been broken stinks and is a total ****in farce . What if they win the champions league this season? What happens then? If the only punishment these clubs get for breaking Financial fair play rules are fines then the club's in question and the Arabs will only be laughing at the situation

Corruption my friend, corruption. FIFA are a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Even hinting at "pressure" on Jose when we are having out of our best seasons in years shows how utterly spoiled some people are....

So we pick up 1 or two points out of the next 6 available and everything is fine.
    Our best season in years could quickly turn like the last 3 or 4 scrapping for a top 4 place. But some people pretend not to notice that

So we pick up 1 or two points out of the next 6 available and everything is fine.
    Our best season in years could quickly turn like the last 3 or 4 scrapping for a top 4 place. But some people pretend not to notice that

Who would you like to come in instead? I know you dislike Jose, but who would be your realistic preference for the job if he got sacked because of poor results

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

What an odd argument.

LTSC: We are having one of our best seasons - why are we talking about pressure?
    You: BUT WHAT IF WE WEREN'T HAVING A GREAT SEASON, WHY ARE YOU IGNORING THAT!?

I'm sure if we lose and draw the next two league games and then the season also turns to sh1t and us floating around 5th/6th/4th then we could see LTSC opin a different opinion.... but to argue against his opinion based on something that hasn't happened is just weird.

I didnt say I wanted him out did I ??? But considering his flirting with PSG and failing to get 4 points out the two games could see him under a bit of pressure

I dont know who the Club would have in mind. Im sure they would have a few names earmarked same way as they would have transfer targets identified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

I didnt say I wanted him out did I ??? But considering his flirting with PSG and failing to get 4 points out the two games could see him under a bit of pressure

I dont know who the Club would have in mind. Im sure they would have a few names earmarked same way as they would have transfer targets identified.

He is flirting with PSG to get a new contract and force Woodward stop acting the clown by saying that we have to spend to buy. Man City spent £130m on full backs alone.

He is not under any pressure. Regardless of the next 2 games, winning the league against that Man City squad is an unrealistic feat, as much as it pains me to say it. Man City have depth far beyond ours, their squad is far stronger. We have started as good as we did under Ferguson in most title winning seasons.

Champions League group navigated with relative ease too.

2nd/3rd, with a Champions League QF and hopefully an FA Cup would be a good season for us.

Not winning the league this season would not be a failure.

• Advertisement

I would love to know this, though I do have someone in my mind :pac:

Edit: NVM checked the Liverpool thread... I wouldn’t say this word often but that is Pathetic

Just spotted the post

giphy.gif

What an odd argument.

LTSC: We are having one of our best seasons - why are we talking about pressure?
    You: BUT WHAT IF WE WEREN'T HAVING A GREAT SEASON, WHY ARE YOU IGNORING THAT!?

I'm sure if we lose and draw the next two league games and then the season also turns to sh1t and us floating around 5th/6th/4th then we could see LTSC opin a different opinion.... but to argue against his opinion based on something that hasn't happened is just weird.

I see what you are saying. But cock on the block do many see us beating Arsenal & City ??
    Do many see us going for the jugular in either game ???
    Do many see anything other than us setting up ultra defensive and possibly coming away with no more than 2 points.
    A draw with City and its probably is league over

I see what you are saying. But cock on the block do many see us beating Arsenal & City ??
    Do many see anything other than us setting up ultra defensive and possibly coming away with no more than 2 points.
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Is anyone actually downplaying Pogbas importance to the team?

One poster suggested that he felt that Pogbas creative influence was underwhelming on the rare occasion we've played 4-3-3 (as opposed to 4-2-3-1 or 3-4-3) and this is the formation we are assuming we'll play in the next 2 games.

All of a sudden there's an onslaught of "are you crazy?" or "look at our scoring stats when pogba features" type posts which completely miss the original point (whether it's a valid point or not).

A few more posts then counter argue some of these hyperbolic stats and all of a sudden it feels like we've found ourselves in a "How important is Pogba to the this United team" debate that came from nowhere.

It kinda doesnt matter about that original point, there has been a clear and present trend of "Pogba isn't important" going through the thread for some time now. So it's somewhat natural when people are talking they are probably going to roll into the higher level debate that has been here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

José was under pressure a couple of weeks ago if we were to draw the next two games or worse I don't think it's crazy to suggest he would be under pressure again. Regardless of how good/bad a job the fanbase believe he has done.

beno619 wrote: »
    José was under pressure a couple of weeks ago if we were to draw the next two games or worse I don't think it's crazy to suggest he would be under pressure again. Regardless of how good/bad a job the fanbase believe he has done.

So back to my earlier point, should Conte, Arsene, Potch & Klopp be under pressure?

• Advertisement

TheDoc wrote: »
    It kinda doesnt matter about that original point, there has been a clear and present trend of "Pogba isn't important" going through the thread for some time now. So it's somewhat natural when people are talking they are probably going to roll into the higher level debate that has been here

Nope that's the narrative that has been spun by posters that make statements like "It kinda doesn't matter about the original point".

Original points have been completely ignored and met with rubbish like yesterday.

So back to my earlier point, should Conte, Arsene, Potch & Klopp be under pressure?

There is none of them managing one of the top teams in the world

Yes and they all are in my opinion.

Currently Pep & Jose are doing fine.

I can see us beating Arsenal, I struggle to see us beating City.

The league being over is something I have a struggle with. I just don't know how to process that hypothetical - because of two facts.

1. Points wise - we are having one of our strongest seasons ever.
    2. City's results are INSANE.

The only way United could be ahead of City is if we had won every single match in the league this season. City have dropped points by dropping points in one match, in one draw, this season. I know City have done this, but I don't think that run of form/results is something you can expect from any side. That United aren't matching that....I just can't get worked up over it. In terms of points I don't think dropping 10 points over 14 games is a huge failure - maybe we could have a reasonable expectation to be maybe 4 points better off? (win vs Huddersfield and a draw vs Chelsea). The performances vs Stoke and Liverpool were disappointing but I don't think the results themselves are something people can really argue are unacceptable if you consider you are going to drop points at some point over a full season (unless you are chelsea...)

United could finished on 90 points this season and still finish 10 points off City (just an example). 10 points off the title sounds like failure - but how could hitting 90 points really be considered a failure?

City's insane form is making our results look poor by comparison, but in isolation I don't think our results arethat bad that Jose should be under real pressure.

But you continuously criticise and posture against his appointment.. you have also stated that the pressure should be on him even though we have one of our best points total at this time for years, you don’t want him or his style at your beloved Man Utd..

The pressure should be on him because we can’t keep up with a record breaking City team that has only dropped 2 points?

• Advertisement

I think I'll have what you are having.

But you continuously criticise and posture against his appointment.. you have also stated that the pressure should be on him even though we have one of our best points total at this time for years, you don’t want him or his style at your beloved Man Utd..

The pressure should be on him because we can’t keep up with a record breaking City team that has only dropped 2 points?

Its true. Its a disgrace. We should be aiming for 114 pts this season 38/38 wins. MINIMUM EXPECTATIONS!!!!

pjohnson wrote: »
    Its true. Its a disgrace. We should be aiming for 114 pts this season 38/38 wins. MINIMUM EXPECTATIONS!!!!

If I can do it regularly with Man United in Football Manager, how can Jose not do it?

Just needs to play with 2 advanced insider forwards and get Martial scoring 50 goals a season from the left side position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

beno619 wrote: »
    Yes and they all are in my opinion.

Currently Pep & Jose are doing fine.

None of them are under any pressure. Get a grip.

I hope I'm wrong and hope he can change his stlye to try and be positive in the big games.
    I agree City have been unreal this season and it has been a couple of years in the making. But if thats the level the bar is being set at well then its up to Club and the Manager to reach that bar. How I dont know maybe throw another € 200 or € 300 million at it

pjohnson wrote: »
    I think I'll have what you are having.

Smart arse response

Chelsea are currently the premier league champions and have one of the richest owners in club football

Mokuba wrote: »
    None of them are under any pressure. Get a grip.

Well that's just like your opinion man.

Chelsea are currently the premier league champions and have one of the richest owners in club football

When people talk abouth the top teams / clubs in the world the usually talk about Barcelona, Real Madrid Manchester United. But I think you know what I meant. Let me rephrase it - one of the biggest clubs in the world

If I can do it regularly with Man United in Football Manager, how can Jose not do it?

Just needs to play with 2 advanced insider forwards and get Martial scoring 50 goals a season from the left side position.

football-manager-completed-it-mate.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement