Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

beakerjoe wrote: »
    But we havent played City or Chelsea. We had a similar start last year beating weak teams then were brought back down to earth against City at home. Look our we ended in the league. Our squad hasnt really changed bar Matic. (Lukaku basicly replaced Ibra and Linderoff is still settling in. )

Mkhitarayan was half the player last season, much better this year, pogba is playing class, lukaku banging in the goals. Bailly and jones both fit, matic is a huge player for us, we are in a much better state this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

bangkok wrote: »
    Mkhitarayan was half the player last season, much better this year, pogba is playing class, lukaku banging in the goals. Bailly and jones both fit, matic is a huge player for us, we are in a much better state this year

If Jones continues to perform. If Pogba continues to perform. If Mkhitaryan continues to perform. If Martail continues to perform. If all those things didn't either didn't happen last season, or was inconsistent last season, we are in a better position.

And, I would argue that you have to build your squad based on an assumption the players you have will perform. Otherwise you should be selling them.

We can't build a squad based on "well, Martial will be crap again so we need another striker", unless we decide to sell and replace Martial.

user2011 wrote: »
    I think there's a whole different feel coming from the player's. The frustration's we seen last season with the decent/weaker teams that everyone felt, feels like it's going to be different this year.

Someone has mentioned a few times it's the spreading out of the goalscorers that has them feeling positive about things, I agree with that. Also the amount of times Jose has said that he like's how confident the players are looking that's reinforcing this different feel the players are coming across.

Not saying we're winning the league (3 games) things just feel different from last seasons 3 games unbeaten start. The true confidence will show when we're 1-0 down with ten minutes to go, the opposition have 3 points to hold on to sit deep and we have to seriously push forward, can we create opportunities can we score them 1-1 1-2.
    I think confidence is the main thing. the players lacked it last season, and it showed in their performances.

On top of that, the inability to finish the chances that were getting created meant Jose had no confidence we would win a game 2-1 or 3-2 if needed, so he set the team up to first not concede, and hope we could win 1-0. I reckon if we had been better at finishing last season, Jose would not have set up so defensively in the last third of the season in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The one huge positive Matic brings is that he tends to pass the ball forward a lot more than we saw Carrick doing.This immediately puts us on the front foot straight away from deep and doesn't give the opposition the time to get into their defensive banks like they did before as we took our time building up our play.

zerks wrote: »
    The one huge positive Matic brings is that he tends to pass the ball forward a lot more than we saw Carrick doing.This immediately puts us on the front foot straight away from deep and doesn't give the opposition the time to get into their defensive banks like they did before as we took our time building up our play.

Thats an interesting point actually, something I wouldn't mind looking at. Anyone want to do one of them comparison thingys with forward passes for matic and carrick?

Thats an interesting point actually, something I wouldn't mind looking at. Anyone want to do one of them comparison thingys with forward passes for matic and carrick?

Looking at games its hard to see many players who do more forward passes than carrick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Matic is better at driving forward and joining attacks in the way Carrick used to in his younger days and I'd always call out for him to do more. It may leave more openings on the counter but it takes an extra player out of the counter, in theory at least.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Arsenal apparently want a player in any deal for Sanchez.

Who would you give up? Smalling would be an obvious name, but they may push for an attacker....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Who would be willing to send Martial the other direction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

S.M.B. wrote:
    Who would be willing to send Martial the other direction?

Arsenal fans only I imagine. I hope no sane United fan would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

starting to wonder if Renato Sanches is really all that if he is going to Swansea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

dubmick wrote: »
    starting to wonder if Renato Sanches is really all that if he is going to Swansea

I'm guessing he is only going there because of the Clement connection.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Arsenal apparently want a player in any deal for Sanchez.

Who would you give up? Smalling would be an obvious name, but they may push for an attacker....

Smalling is the obvious choice from a United point of view.Not sure there is anyone else I'd let go.
    If there is a chance of Sanchez got to push the boat out would have no problem with Smalling going well covered at CB imo.

Lingard for Sanchez

Keep Smalling

dubmick wrote: »

He is a fantastic young player going on loan to a club where he has worked with the manager before and he can go back to bayern a better player. Great move for sanches, swansea and for bayern

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Lingard for Sanchez

Keep Smalling
    Be a good deal but I 'd say Wenger be still laughing at that offer until the window reopens .

yabadabado wrote: »
    Be a good deal but I 'd say Wenger be still laughing at that offer until the window reopens .

They did take Welbeck ;)
    Anyway, Arsenal as a club are laughable at the moment so wouldn't surprise me if it were to happen.
    Nothing against Lingard. Decent squad player. But Sanchez would be a huge upgrade.

And I think it's madness posters want Smalling out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Lingard for Sanchez

Keep Smalling

Jose Dell Boy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Wenger wanted Smalling back when United signed him,if they are selling Mustafi,Smalling could be a quick replacement. anyways we aint signing Sanchez so fret not...Mike will stay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I’m crossing my fingers for a Mahrez bid but I’m already resigned to our business being done. The only hope we have is that we know Jose wants one more but I think we are a few tweets from the usual journalists away from confirming our business is done and dusted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I don't think we have enough cover to let Smalling go - with Jose saying Jones has some kind of injury and needs to be minded, Smalling is surely next choice? Would not fancy Lindelöf yet and Rojo is still some way off.

If Smalling leaving meant the difference in Sanchez joing the club or not then I would have no hesitation letting him go.Maybe it would leave CB a little understaffed for a few weeks but it be a chance worth taking imo.
    I think Smalling will leave/be sold next summer anyways as don't see him as long term first choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

There's no chance Arsenal would take Smalling as part of a Sanchez deal. If they're looking for a player in exchange it's because they want to replace Sanchez in the starting XI.

That's why Martial would be a more realistic option and clearly nobody wants that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Lindelö f.

Well la-de-da 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,166 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

S.M.B. wrote: »
    There's no chance Arsenal would take Smalling as part of a Sanchez deal. If they're looking for a player in exchange it's because they want to replace Sanchez in the starting XI.

That's why Martial would be a more realistic option and clearly nobody wants that.
    Smalling would walk into Arsenals defence beside Koscielny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I am surprised Jose is willing to let the window closed without signing number 4. If he identified the need for it at the start of the season, then surely that need must still stand. I hope he's not taking a risk. We need certainty this season, not just hope, like Arsenal.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Smalling would walk into Arsenals defence beside Koscielny.

Maybe, but it is Sanchez they'd want replacing, not a defender.

I am surprised Jose is willing to let the window closed without signing number 4. If he identified the need for it at the start of the season, then surely that need must still stand. I hope he's not taking a risk. We need certainty this season, not just hope, like Arsenal.

The players he wanted are not available or cost too much. No point buying a player for the sake of it. Hold off until jan or next summer if needed. He has got 7/8 players he wanted in last 2 seasons and zlatan has resigned for this year

Jose can't force the club to sign players. If the club tell him they won't fund the 'last' deal he wants done, what do you want from him. I doubt Jose has stopped wanting to improve the side - i would say it is the board that have said 'no more'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Jose can't force the club to sign players. If the club tell him they won't fund the 'last' deal he wants done, what do you want from him. I doubt Jose has stopped wanting to improve the side - i would say it is the board that have said 'no more'

Or they have decided together it's no more.

C'mon Mitch do you think if Jose really wanted a fourth player that they would say no your only getting 3.. the same club that paid out for so pogba and lukaku and adm in the past.

He has said countless times he asked for 4 he got 3 he is happy with the 3 because the 4th is not possible that to me says the 4th was a player he wanted that wasn't possible and not perisic he was a backup target that wasn't worth it..... to me that's how I see it.

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    Or they have decided together it's no more.

C'mon Mitch do you think if Jose really wanted a fourth player that they would say no your only getting 3.. the same club that paid out for so pogba and lukaku and adm in the past.

He has said countless times he asked for 4 he got 3 he is happy with the 3 because the 4th is not possible that to me says the 4th was a player he wanted that wasn't possible and not perisic he was a backup target that wasn't worth it..... to me that's how I see it.

Fair enough, you see it your way and I see it mine.

The fact we have spent so much on Pogba and lukaku might actually be why the club may have said we can't afford to spend the money required on the last target.

I just can't see why Jose would say he doesn't want a 4th, having repeatedly said he wants a 4th. I think he has accepted the club decision but I don't think it is his choice that we failed to agree a fee for perisic or any other target we may have had for that wide role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Surely the 4th was AG?

He decided to stick with AM which we can all respect.

I'd rather we get his number one targets than take a back up just for the sake of it.

I would be confident that if Jose really wanted Peresic then he would have been signed.

Surely the 4th was AG?

He decided to stick with AM which we can all respect.

I'd rather we get his number one targets than take a back up just for the sake of it.

I would be confident that if Jose really wanted Peresic then he would have been signed.

The fact we apparently bid near 50million for him would indicate we wanted him quite a bit.

I am confident Jose wanted him and the club failed to sign him.

I'm also uncomfortable relying on Griezmann to not dick us around next summer, just like this summer, to be honest. I'd have completely moved on from him immediately or struck a deal like Liverpool have for keite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

We did sign 4 players

Lukaku, Matic, Lindelof, Ibrahimovic.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

We did sign 4 players

Cool. Cause context doesn't matter to conversation, not Jose still talking about the 4th he wanted on Friday.

We did sign 4 players

Get the fúck out!

I'd reckon Jose would buy more than 4 if he thought he would be backed.Im happy with the 3 signed and a 4th(wideman) would be great but United could easily have done with 6 players this summer and it wouldn't have been out of place .

We did sign 4 players

5 if you include Brinty

You know what would be cool though... Mahrez wears 26 for Leicester and we have no number 26. Nice way of explaining that we leave the number 7 vacant when really we are keeping that for Griezmann in January or July next year.

The fact we apparently bid near 50million for him would indicate we wanted him quite a bit.

I am confident Jose wanted him and the club failed to sign him.

I'm also uncomfortable relying on Griezmann to not dick us around next summer, just like this summer, to be honest. I'd have completely moved on from him immediately or struck a deal like Liverpool have for keite.

Silly move from liverpool i think. What if keita doesnt develop as a player or gets a bad injury in germany, do liverpool still have to sign him?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I've spent the summer a little perplexed over how bad our need for a wide player has been built up over this summer to be honest. We've got Mata and Mkhi, two class players in their prime and while they each might be a little more suited centrally, each can play wide too, as we'll likely be playing a mix of 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 this season for the most part. Then we've got Rashford who has been pretty great since he burst out, is a highly capable first team player with huge amounts of potential, as well as Martial who did struggle last year* but he has probably even more potential again and is looking to be rounding back into form well. Then of course there is Lingard for further depth, and Valencia can pop up on the right in the event of an injury crisis.

I mean had we been able to get an absolute top, top end player I would have had no issue with it. With Perisic he could have given us something a little different, sure. But we don't 'need' a wide player. We needed two strikers (Ibra counts as one, not many expected him back at the start of the summer), we needed a DM and we needed help in the backline (still think a FB is a more pressing need than winger to be honest). A wide player would in my opinion have been a luxury signing by comparison.

*The talk of people wanting Martial out, at his age and with his potential, was far more perplexing however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

If Chamberlain is going for 40m, Lingard 60? :D

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    If Chamberlain is going for 40m, Lingard 60? :D

Martial 200m

Ha, only just realised Oxlade-Chamberlain is yet another Southampton player. Liverpool just can’t help themselves. Taking players from their feeder club via Arsenal.

Billy86 wrote: »
    I've spent the summer a little perplexed over how bad our need for a wide player has been built up over this summer to be honest. We've got Mata and Mkhi, two class players in their prime and while they each might be a little more suited centrally, each can play wide too, as we'll likely be playing a mix of 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 this season for the most part. Then we've got Rashford who has been pretty great since he burst out, is a highly capable first team player with huge amounts of potential, as well as Martial who did struggle last year* but he has probably even more potential again and is looking to be rounding back into form well. Then of course there is Lingard for further depth, and Valencia can pop up on the right in the event of an injury crisis.

I mean had we been able to get an absolute top, top end player I would have had no issue with it. With Perisic he could have given us something a little different, sure. But we don't 'need' a wide player. We needed two strikers (Ibra counts as one, not many expected him back at the start of the summer), we needed a DM and we needed help in the backline (still think a FB is a more pressing need than winger to be honest). A wide player would in my opinion have been a luxury signing by comparison.

*The talk of people wanting Martial out, at his age and with his potential, was far more perplexing however.
    I thought a DM was the number 1 target and then Zlat getting injured a striker had to be signed.Very happy with Matic and Lukaku and think they will both huge additions.

After that I think a proper wideman is needed,Mata and Miki are both excellent players but arent best suited to the right side so will never get the best from them there.
    Martial and Rash arent really at their best on the right and would be happy for both of them to fight it out for LW .A proper out and out RW who would provide goals and assists would make a massive difference imo.

https://youtu.be/mICr7E3MJBI

Good video to explain why Mahrez would be excellent for us. Pity really.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I feel that Perisic was to be a short term option, and a backup to Griezmann, but that the club (and possibly Jose) didn't want to spend such a high amount for a short term player who'd likely be replaced next season, and would have possibly been a rotation player this one. I think it's why we did our business quicker than other teams; we wanted to avoid the circus and extraordinary fees.

A lot of teams are panic buying now after not being able to get their top targets. But some are seeing panic buying as action and our calm response, following a great window overall, as a bad thing. It's not. We got most of what we wanted, and now people are wondering why we aren't jumping off a bridge when everyone else is....

Lord TSC wrote: »
    A lot of teams are panic buying now after not being able to get their top targets. But some are seeing panic buying as action and our calm response, following a great window overall, as a bad thing. It's not. We got most of what we wanted, and now people are wondering why we aren't jumping off a bridge when everyone else is....
    Or it is clear Jose has had further targets and I'm disappointed the club has failed to fund and sign that final target, regardless of the timing.

Should we be smugly patting ourselves on the back for signing 3 of 4 identified position targets and then stepping back just so we don't look desperate or something?

Of liverpool get Lemar tomorrow and city get Sanchez should we laugh at them for signing quality players, in they last day of the window?

@Lord TSC

Don’t think anyone in here is really bothered about other clubs deals are they? Apart from sniggering at them.

Sanchez to City is about the only transfer I think could effect us.

Other than that I think people are listening to our manager saying he wants another signing and that’s why some of us are wishing for another player. Not because of any other club.

• Advertisement

A decent analysis of Jose's tactics v Leicester...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement