Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Of liverpool get Lemar tomorrow and city get Sanchez should we laugh at them for signing quality players, in they last day of the window?
    We shouldn't laugh at them but we should at least acknowledge the circumstances.

City spend £70 million on a player they could probably get for free in 9 months. This may happen due to the money backing city but I'm assuming would set a silly new record for most paid for a player in their final year of contract.

Looks like the only way Arsenal or Liverpool get Lemar is if their offer is in the "Monaco can't refuse" levels. Again, this may be possible due to the domino effect after the neymar move or city do the above.

Either of those deals are not clear no brainers so we should not be too aggrieved if United aren't the ones involved.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

City will likely sign Sanchez, but I simply believe we never had a chance for him. I'd be certain we enquiries, but it seems obvious he's got his heart set on the Pep reunion, and has seemingly turned down and priced himself out of moves to other clubs. With Lamar, I wouldn't be at all certain that's going to happen, and if it does, it will be for a figure way above his value, to a club who are spending well beyond their means looking at things as they stand. In neither case odes either signing make me worry about either team more than I already do.

Both are buying attacking players to add to a stacked attack, and utterly neglecting their genuine problems elsewhere.

Jose had said he's happy with what we got, and the reasons we didn't go after the forth. Strikes me he'd be the very one who'd be moaning, either publically or through Duncan Castle, if he wasn't happy. I've seen utterly nothing to suggest there's any problems between Jose and the board over why we aren't signing a forth, and it looks mainly like everyone involved has decided to stop letting teams roll us over for cash.

We managed to address the three biggest issues in the squad going into the window. No window will ever see every element fixed, but we go into this season stronger than last, and with the glaring holes fixed. There are still issues to address, but every window will end with a "I wanted more!" Attitude. That's life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Of liverpool get Lemar tomorrow and city get Sanchez should we laugh at them for signing quality players, in they last day of the window?

Ah seriously? Back up the truck for a minute here like.

We signed quality players like Di Maria, Falcao, Martial late in windows before, but you'd already had a meltdown by July 2nd.

It's perfectly acceptable when other clubs do business late but when United do the same it's incompetent this, clueless that, laughing stock, Woodward out, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

astradave wrote: »
    Eriksen went to Spurs ages ago :p

D'oh, good spot. My bad on the typo.

I blame the fact that I can't preview anything because of this DDOS protection stuff that's enabled at the moment (and not that I make stupid typos all the time) :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

v3ttel wrote: »
    Ah seriously? Back up the truck for a minute here like.

We signed quality players like Di Maria, Falcao, Martial late in windows before, but you'd already had a meltdown by July 2nd.

It's perfectly acceptable when other clubs do business late but when United do the same it's incompetent this, clueless that, laughing stock, Woodward out, etc.
    Eh, I said all of those deals were great deals.

Best to get the done early.
    Grand to get them done.
    Stupid to just not do them.

I'd United do all their business in the last days I would say it is poor work - like I criticize spurs. If a player that could improve us moves on the last day, and we have targeted their position then yes, I will also criticize the club for not getting that deal done.

Everything isn't black or white. Context matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

i would say it is the board that have said 'no more'

You have said it a bunch of times. And not once have I seen any sign of it actually being the case.

Its hard to reconcile you stating that the board was bidding £50 million for a 2nd tier winger like Persic with you also stating that they won't spend any more money. Is having a realistic upper limit on their valuation of a 28 year old winger really evidence that they aren't supporting the manager? When they were prepared to spend far too much money on him and have spent a shedload of money already over the past few seasons?

Maybe the board are supporting the manager, while at the same time maybe they aren't ****ing idiots either. Just a thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Apparently Mahrez has been released from international duty to finalise a transfer. Have to assume it's Arsenal after selling Chamberlain but I hold a sliver of hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

J. Marston wrote: »
    Apparently Mahrez has been released from international duty to finalise a transfer. Have to assume it's Arsenal after selling Chamberlain but I hold a sliver of hope.

Barca also in the frame,they've tried for everyone else so I suppose he'd have to be next on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

We should be all over Mahrez.

His ability to beat a man is unbelievable and would solve our right wing. (Sorry Mata)

Rumour is he is going to Arsenal so that would be a shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

GSPfan wrote: »
    Ha, only just realised Oxlade-Chamberlain is yet another Southampton player. Liverpool just can’t help themselves. Taking players from their feeder club via another feeder club.

Fyp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

So Mahrez is on the move today but no actual links to us. It won’t be long before we know where he is going. I’m gonna say it will be Spurs as a surprise destination.

A lot of chatter it's Barca, as they couldn't get a Coutinho deal done, but also some talks of Arsenal (as a Sanchez replacement), Chelsea and Spurs? Not seeing anything concrete with us, and only reason we're being talks is cause of the stories from France a few days back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

5 if you include Brinty

Jaysus I told ye not to tell anyone...

But I can confirm...

The deal is almost complete just ironing out the finer details.

Medical booked in today for about 12 o'clock

Nani got himself another move, this time to Lazio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Nani got himself another move, this time to Lazio.

I seen that. Did he fall out with Valencia? Wasn't he only there a year?

MrMac84 wrote: »
    I seen that. Did he fall out with Valencia? Wasn't he only there a year?

I honestly don't know, I saw nothing about this move until this morning.

Mahrez supposedly pictured in Paris, and everyone seems to be convinced he's off to Barca. Arsenal press have ruled them out of the running anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

If Arsenal sell Chamberlain on one year contract and bring in Maherez for similar money thats some deal for them maherez is surely an upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

jayo26 wrote: »
    If Arsenal sell Chamberlain on one year contract and bring in Maherez for similar money thats some deal for them maherez is surely an upgrade.
    BBC are saying they're not interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I think we are gonna have a quiet end to the window. Though I do hold a slim hope that Mahrez is on his way....... a very slim hope

You have said it a bunch of times. And not once have I seen any sign of it actually being the case.

Its hard to reconcile you stating that the board was bidding £50 million for a 2nd tier winger like Persic with you also stating that they won't spend any more money. Is having a realistic upper limit on their valuation of a 28 year old winger really evidence that they aren't supporting the manager? When they were prepared to spend far too much money on him and have spent a shedload of money already over the past few seasons?

Maybe the board are supporting the manager, while at the same time maybe they aren't ****ing idiots either. Just a thought.

My opinion is that if the club were willing to fund the purchase of the 4th signing Mourinho wants, we'd have signed a player Mourinho wants.

It could simply be we don't have the budget to go get that player - that is not an insane thing and I am not saying it is - United may have gone into this window thing X sum would get the 4 players they want and now with the market the way it is, it would now take a much higher sum, so the club have told Mourinho they can't do it.

Why is thinking United may have had a budget, and Mourinho may have been told they won't extend it, an opinion that deserves to be attacked?

Are people really of the opinion there are no players United could potential sign that Mourinho wants, if the right money was offered? Is there going to be not one player to move clubs today that United could have signed and upgraded the side (even forgetting any possibly discussion of Sanchez, for example)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

I'd love if we got Mahrez. Doesn't seem to be a Jose-type player though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,166 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If Mourinho was as interested in this "4th Signing" he surely would have kicked up a much bigger fuss. Mourinho isn't a mouse.

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/903147193619636224

Never heard of an exclusive negotiating agreement but Spurs' one with Aurier has expired and they still haven't signed him. We should gazump them,if only to piss Levy off.We need a RB anyway,can't be depending on Valencia alone (even if he said he's going to use his left foot more)

pjohnson wrote: »
    If Mourinho was as interested in this "4th Signing" he surely would have kicked up a much bigger fuss. Mourinho isn't a mouse.

You mean apart from mentioning several times that he wanted a 4th signing? Like at every opportunity?

Would he have to to have publicly threatened to quit if the club don't give him what he wants for you to believe he wanted a 4th signing?

It is clear he wanted a 4th signing. My opinion is the club have said they can't budget it, and he has accepted that while hoping they would change their mind and get a deal done. He is also happy with the 3 signings we did get, and happy to be manager at United - so isn't going to rant at the club over it.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    BBC are saying they're not interested.

Oirnstein as well, who is their top guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Not really sold on Mahrez to be honest. I don't think he's good enough or a significant upgrade on anyone we already have really. I think some people just want a signing for the sake of it and I don't see Jose doing that.

Also agree with the OP that he doesn't strike me as Jose player.

duffman13 wrote: »
    Not really sold on Mahrez to be honest. I don't think he's good enough or a significant upgrade on anyone we already have really. I think some people just want a signing for the sake of it and I don't see Jose doing that.

He hasn't exactly had a great 12 months either. Again it's purely panic reactions because of deadline day hype, and business on-going elsewhere. Should be happy that the club is now getting it's business done properly. Good and early and we signed our main targets in a class DM and class striker.

When I see him play for Leicster, particulary in the games when Leicster are up against it or looking poor, he always seems to be the one player capable of turning it around and unlocking a defence. He seems to have talent and the right attitude going by how he wants to leave his club yet still busts his ass for them

The whole lecister team malfunctioned last year but when they played thierbest like in the chpions league marhez was one of if not their best player. He'd also be better defensively then mata. At a minimum he'd be a serious upgrade to the squad but I think he'd be an upgrade to the first 11.

Anyways its not happening I'll just console myself with griezman in 4 months :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I don't think anyone is really arguing for Mahrez to waltz in to the XI.

It does make sense to provide competition and cover for Mata on the right, though. At the very worst it adds a bit of attacking squad depth. £/€40 million for a Premier League winner would be welcome.

And Premier League winners is something the current squad lacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Past30Now

I think Mahrez has settled back at the level he is supposed to have displayed throughout the majority of his career. I never saw him play before joining Leicester, but given that not many clubs were in for him, he clearly hadn't set the world alight. I'd much prefer to see our existing squad (Rashford, Martial, Miki, Mata, Young) get plenty of game time, and in the event of a crisis (or a tonne of extra games), give the equivalent of Rashford two years ago a chance.

The whole lecister team malfunctioned last year but when they played thierbest like in the chpions league marhez was one of if not their best player. He'd also be better defensively then mata. At a minimum he'd be a serious upgrade to the squad but I think he'd be an upgrade to the first 11.

Anyways its not happening I'll just console myself with griezman in 4 months :)

Not really. Champions League teams allowed them to counter attack against them. English sides knew Leicester were devasting on the counter so they didn't fall into the trap. The European clubs did.

Matty Willock joined Utrecht on loan.

Not really. Champions League teams allowed them to counter attack against them. English sides knew Leicester were devasting on the counter so they didn't fall into the trap. The European clubs did.

????? What's that got to do with my point. Just cause a team sets up one way doesn't discount a players individual performance. Or did I miss some memo

????? What's that got to do with my point. Just cause a team sets up one way doesn't discount a players individual performance. Or did I miss some memo

I just meant when you said the team malfunctioned. It was moreso English teams copped on to Leicester is all. Nothing against Mahrez.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

My opinion is that if the club were willing to fund the purchase of the 4th signing Mourinho wants, we'd have signed a player Mourinho wants.

It could simply be we don't have the budget to go get that player - that is not an insane thing and I am not saying it is - United may have gone into this window thing X sum would get the 4 players they want and now with the market the way it is, it would now take a much higher sum, so the club have told Mourinho they can't do it.

Why is thinking United may have had a budget, and Mourinho may have been told they won't extend it, an opinion that deserves to be attacked?

Are people really of the opinion there are no players United could potential sign that Mourinho wants, if the right money was offered? Is there going to be not one player to move clubs today that United could have signed and upgraded the side (even forgetting any possibly discussion of Sanchez, for example)?

if we had of signed griezmann before athleticos ban came in, we would have our 4 signings done and dusted. he was costing 90m so the money was there.

inter wanted 50m for perisic, worth nowhere near that and if the club think that is too much then fine. we had a very good transfer window anyway

According to the Guardian , United are done. No cheeky Mahrez bid in sight. That looks like that then for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

I don't get where the hard working defensively stronger that Mata argument comes from.
    Mahrez from the limited game time I've seen has been anything but a grafter, hell run his heart out with the ball and try and try in that regard but defensively he'd rather have a hammock on the sideline.

I just meant when you said the team malfunctioned. It was moreso English teams copped on to Leicester is all. Nothing against Mahrez.

O right sorry, ya that's true alright. Also think that was down to ranieri a bit also trying to set them up a bit different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I feel that Perisic was to be a short term option, and a backup to Griezmann, but that the club (and possibly Jose) didn't want to spend such a high amount for a short term player who'd likely be replaced next season, and would have possibly been a rotation player this one. I think it's why we did our business quicker than other teams; we wanted to avoid the circus and extraordinary fees.

A lot of teams are panic buying now after not being able to get their top targets. But some are seeing panic buying as action and our calm response, following a great window overall, as a bad thing. It's not. We got most of what we wanted, and now people are wondering why we aren't jumping off a bridge when everyone else is....

Agreed.

There is a reason we have 3 wins from 3 and looked pretty impervious in those performances.

Business got done before the season started, which Jose prefers, and which typically always sets up a strong season for him.

Any signing today I expect to be something mental, a big player, totally out of the blue that only became possible today.

And I actually dont expect any ins or outs to happen.

I know it can be a bit lame that we havn't got excited over a new signing in a while, but people claiming it poor on our part have been pure sucked up into the transfer window hype that papers and sky want you sucked into.

The important thing is the squad, the team and the club and this seasons objectives, all of which are best served with getting new players in early and settled, and not dealing with disruption of the window when the season has started.

I think the fact we have gone into the season with no tangible links to new signings, therefore not unsettling our players, not links of people being sold, therefore not unsettling the squad, and our new signings integrated, settling the squad, is standing us in good stead at this stage.

When you look at what our rivals are doing, pretty happy things are done and dusted. Unless its some monster transfer that tbh would be one of the shock deadline days in years, since I'm talking about a Bale or a Muller or something.

• Advertisement

Or it is clear Jose has had further targets and I'm disappointed the club has failed to fund and sign that final target, regardless of the timing.

Should we be smugly patting ourselves on the back for signing 3 of 4 identified position targets and then stepping back just so we don't look desperate or something?

When Jose isn't happy with transfer dealings he makes it known publicly. He loves peddling that excuse out early before the season begins.

I think he is very clear and has been that there is a 4th he wanted and would like, but he appreciates totally the difficulties in acquiring that player and the costs involved, as he has indicated in numerous press conferences. That he is happy that the three players he got were the three players he wanted.

The question that should be asked is who is this 4th player he wants, and maybe that would indicate why we cant get them. I'd imagine its a big name player. I'd imagine we can afford it, but I'd imagine the problem is getting the cub to sell for a reasonable fee, post Neymar

Adox AWOL??
    Beno??

J. Marston wrote: »

Some of the closely connected journalists to Arsenal stating this morning there actually isn't plans or finances available to acquire players today, unless Sanchez is sold for big money and even then it likely wont be available. Hence why they are holding out for a player exchange.

They've had another mess of a window, could well struggle for top 4 again.

zerks wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/903147193619636224

Never heard of an exclusive negotiating agreement but Spurs' one with Aurier has expired and they still haven't signed him. We should gazump them,if only to piss Levy off.We need a RB anyway,can't be depending on Valencia alone (even if he said he's going to use his left foot more)

Why piss them off, when they posses players we will likely want to poach in the coming seasons :D:D:D

TheDoc wrote: »
    Some of the closely connected journalists to Arsenal stating this morning there actually isn't plans or finances available to acquire players today, unless Sanchez is sold for big money and even then it likely wont be available. Hence why they are holding out for a player exchange.

Roma seems the logical option now for him. Arsenal and United are both seemingly out of the running.

I wouldnt be surprised if Arsenal sprung up with a deal for him though.

Agreed, not sure on the Mahrez fascination. Had a really good season, disappeared last season, seems to have started well, while at his best more then good enough for our team, the problem is consistency there.

Probably worth a punt, but at the figures being discussed I don't know if I'm entirely convinced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

they wont finish top 6 even... i have a bet on they finish 7th

Arsenal and Chelsea have had stinking windows compared to us.

I know it can be a bit lame that we havn't got excited over a new signing in a while, but people claiming it poor on our part have been pure sucked up into the transfer window hype that papers and sky want you sucked into.

This is such patronising and condescending rubbish.

I've been arguing for a wide player since before the season began. Jose himself said the 4 signing he wanted was a wide player. Saying it is disappointing to have not got the wide player Jose wanted and I also said we needed has nothing to do with Sky Sports.

Arsenal and Chelsea have had stinking windows compared to us.

And they could get worse by 11pm

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement