Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

spiralism wrote: »
    and now a 0-0 home result is the best we can hope for

Nonsense. There's no reason we can't get 3 points, Pogba or no Pogba.

There isn't a hope in hell it's going to be 0-0 anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

limnam wrote: »
    Nonsense. There's no reason we can't get 3 points, Pogba or no Pogba.

There isn't a hope in hell it's going to be 0-0 anyway.

There is more chance of me getting a **** off the Pope than there is of us beating them without Pogba. Any talk of three points is hopeless delusion

If we score a goal, we'll be doing extremely well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

If Huddersfield, Southampton and West Ham can score against City then we can.

Their resilience, patience and attitude shown in the last few games should be applauded but we should be taking some comfort from the fact that they're struggling to beat these teams.

3 points next weekend and Spurs denying them a victory in a few weeks could make it all to play for come the new year.

I really do hope Fellani is back to full fitness, Ibra too.

I didn't want to say it yesterday but if we cough up chances like yesterday they could annilhate us. Now I don't think we will but its a slight worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

limnam wrote: »
    every game is must win. surprised this needs mentioning every week

Not necessarily. Getting a draw away at one of your closest rivals is usually accepted as a good result. Plus 3 points gained over one of your rivals can be more important psychologically than a 3 gained over a relegation battler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

S.M.B. wrote: »
    If Huddersfield, Southampton and West Ham can score against City then we can.

Their resilience, patience and attitude shown in the last few games should be applauded but we should be taking some comfort from the fact that they're struggling to beat these teams.

3 points next weekend and Spurs denying them a victory in a few weeks could make it all to play for come the new year.

I really do hope Fellani is back to full fitness, Ibra too.

Without Pogba, we'd struggle to beat any of those three though. We're not much better than those sides without him. If Fellaini's out too and we end up with Herrera and Matic in the middle of the park we're going to get embarrassed

This is probably the best side to ever grace the premier league coming up next and we're down our most crucial player. We havent a hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

if we had of struggled to beat Southampton, Huddersfield and West Ham would we have thought we hammer City at weekend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Talk the past few weeks is we'd be lucky to scrap two draws versus Arsenal and City, City are on a hell of a run at the moment but all things come to an end, if we can hold them or hit them early enough it can go our way, or they'll bait the &%#* out of us, all we can do is what we did yesterday shy of getting a man sent off that is.

Without Pogba, we'd struggle to beat any of those three though. We're not much better than those sides without him. If Fellaini's out too and we end up with Herrera and Matic in the middle of the park we're going to get embarrassed

This is probably the best side to ever grace the premier league coming up next and we're down our most crucial player. We havent a hope.
    We do have a hope though.

City beat Southampton at home with last kick of the game. We beat Southampton away without Pogba (albeit uncovincingly too).

They're not banging 4/5 goals past their opposition while keeping clean sheets each week. We should take some comfort from that.

I agree that they're favourites and we will miss Pogba but I think it's perfectly possible if not likely.

If we are that reliant on Pogba to beat the league leaders Jose may as well throw in the towel now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

There is more chance of me getting a **** off the Pope than there is of us beating them without Pogba. Any talk of three points is hopeless delusion

If we score a goal, we'll be doing extremely well.

Bull ****. If that was the case then a team from the lower leagues would never beat a team in the premier league and the gap between us and city isn't isn't even the same gulf in class . What about all those times city were ****e but still managed to beat us. Football is a funny old game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Why is there ads for the Manchester City store popping up in the United thread for me? Before anyone says anything, I've never gone near the bitters site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭BenK

I'd be of the opinion United are far better than those sides even without Pogba. & as for City being arguably the best side to ever grace the premier league, I couldn't agree with that. I'd have several sides ahead of them at the moment. Maybe by season's end they'll be up there but I think it's far too early to say yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

The best side to ever grace the premier league?

Nah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Best side to grace the league my absolute hole. When they win three in a row including a few doubles come back to me. Such utter hyperbolic crap.

Anyway, DeGea was great yesterday and there's talk of it being the best keeping performance he's made but does anyone else not think the game at Anfield a few years ago was better where he made so many point blank saves against sterling and Suarez?

Finally some really classy comments by a few boards arsenal fans, Keiser and Tayto in particular. Fair play lads! Don't know if I could be that magnanimous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Not necessarily. Getting a draw away at one of your closest rivals is usually accepted as a good result. Plus 3 points gained over one of your rivals can be more important psychologically than a 3 gained over a relegation battler.

I'm referring to the general situation we find ourselves in

For the foreseeable future every game is must win.

"best side to ever grace the premier league" might be a bit hyperbolic but they are now currently in the best run of form ever witnessed within the Premier league.

On further reflection of pogbas loss I think that the fact that matic is still available after that injury scare may be more important than pogbas presence.

I really do hope Fellani recovers in time though.

Arsenal going a season unbeaten, United winning double doubles and going three leagues in a row is the best form the league has seen. That's important form now having a good start as impressive as its been.

BenK wrote: »
    I'd be of the opinion United are far better than those sides even without Pogba. & as for City being arguably the best side to ever grace the premier league, I couldn't agree with that. I'd have several sides ahead of them at the moment. Maybe by season's end they'll be up there but I think it's far too early to say yet.

I thought the United 98/99 team was pretty handy. Won some Treble.

Jayop wrote: »
    Arsenal going a season unbeaten, United winning double doubles and going three leagues in a row is the best form the league has seen. That's important form now having a good start as impressive as its been.
    Yep, Over 1, 2 and 3 seasons. And setting records without winning anything means nothing. Just still worth noting that this run of victories that City are on is unprecedented.

Hopefully we can do to City what we did to arsenal all those years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Jayop wrote: »

The invincibles never stood out as a major side to me. A great achievement but United 99, United 07-09, Chelsea 04-06 and any side that actually won a double stand out to me as more of an achievement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

They're on a great run, but get a hold of yourself.
    Two or three bad results and the chasing pack catches up.
    Let's see them win the damn league first( in fact how about 2 or 3 in a row) before we start this best ever mularkey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Honestly, it’s been refreshing to see City have too sweat through a few games recently and they do have vulnerabilities, especially from set pieces. We beat them and Spurs take a point from them and the gap is down to three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

That Chelsea team under Mourinho the first time were the best team to play in the Premiership for me.

Worth noting city's form is not unprecedented in the league. It is from the start of a season but the consecutive wins they've had is the same as Chelsea and Arsenal before them. They go to Old Trafford knowing a win will set a new record for consecutive wins in a season a join Arsenal on consecutive wins in the Premier League at 14

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

thelad95 wrote: »
    Honestly, it’s been refreshing to see City have too sweat through a few games recently and they do have vulnerabilities, especially from set pieces. We beat them and Spurs take a point from them and the gap is down to three.

EXcg2yi.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

I think we'll beat them at the weekend. Have no idea where the confidence is coming from but I've no fear of them.

If anyone in this thread says any team other than the one who has 13 premier league titles is the best they can shag of

J. Marston wrote: »
    The invincibles never stood out as a major side to me. A great achievement but United 99, United 07-09, Chelsea 04-06 and any side that actually won a double stand out to me as more of an achievement.

The Arsenal team of 98 was a much better side than the invicibles too

For all those Arsenal fans moaning over the result on Saturday. What goes around comes around. Remember the 2005 Fa cup final anyone ? One of the most one sided games I can remember and also one of the most depressing days to be a United fan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Tylerdurex wrote: »
    For all those Arsenal fans moaning over the result on Saturday. What goes around comes around. Remember the 2005 Fa cup final anyone ? One of the most one sided games I can remember and also one of the most depressing days to be a United fan

Thanks for that memory chief :P

So fricking annoyed after that game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Tylerdurex wrote: »

I think this time around they're over playing the one sided thing.

Yes, they had more possession, should have had a pen, more shots and two unreal saves from De Gea....

But United set our to do a job and could easily have scored 3 more if you look at the chances Lukaku and Lingard had. Arsenal were v poor at times at the back and deserved to concede more.

They could argue they should have gotten a draw, but the chances they gave United I don't they deserved anything more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Nalz wrote: »
    I think this time around they're over playing the one sided thing.

Yes, they had more possession, should have had a pen, more shots and two unreal saves from De Gea....

But United set our to do a job and could easily have scored 3 more if you look at the chances Lukaku and Lingard had. Arsenal were v poor at times at the back and deserved to concede more.

They could argue they should have gotten a draw, but the chances they gave United I don't they deserved anything more.

Exactly. It's like people want to ignore the context of the game for the sake of it. First 10 mins we are 2-0 up before Arsenal made any meaningful attack, then Mustafi was injured and Wenger had to go for all out attack as they had nothing to lose, whereas ManUtd had everything to lose.

Once they scored, Lingard hit the post. De Gea made superb double save before ManUtd scoring their third. Then Pogba was off.

When needed ManUtd created chances, when they had good lead they just dropped deep and defended which was whole game thanks to first 10 mins.

Their attacking game was very good though, if it was 1-0 or 0-0 don't think they would have over commit like they did.

You have to consider it was those types of chances last season we were missing regularly.
    I hope this clinical streak continues in front of goal. Nearly everyone in team is contributing to getting goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Joe Brolly recounts the time Anthony Tohill went for trials with United.
    Apparently the rough and tumble of Ulster GAA and Premiership football don't mix too well.

https://amp.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/get-this-fker-off-before-he-kills-somebody-joe-brolly-recounts-hilarious-story-of-anthony-tohills-manchester-united-trial-36374285.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Exactly. It's like people want to ignore the context of the game for the sake of it. First 10 mins we are 2-0 up before Arsenal made any meaningful attack, then Mustafi was injured and Wenger had to go for all out attack as they had nothing to lose, whereas ManUtd had everything to lose.

Once they scored, Lingard hit the post. De Gea made superb double save before ManUtd scoring their third. Then Pogba was off.

When needed ManUtd created chances, when they had good lead they just dropped deep and defended which was whole game thanks to first 10 mins.

Their attacking game was very good though, if it was 1-0 or 0-0 don't think they would have over commit like they did.
    If United had dropped off and contained Arsenal then the arguement would hold more weight, imo. They cut through us very easily and only for DDG having an amazing game we didn't concede more than we do.

Now, I know DDG is one of our players and stopping shots is his job etc - but the fact remains he was called on loads, and to produce his very best. United didn't retreat into a defensive master class. That may have been the plan after going 2 up, but the defending was shambolic at times and that should also be part of the narrative here.

If United had dropped off and contained Arsenal then the arguement would hold more weight, imo. They cut through us very easily and only for DDG having an amazing game we didn't concede more than we do.

Now, I know DDG is one of our players and stopping shots is his job etc - but the fact remains he was called on loads, and to produce his very best. United didn't retreat into a defensive master class. That may have been the plan after going 2 up, but the defending was shambolic at times and that should also be part of the narrative here.

Did I say we produced defensive master class? I said the reason for high number of shots and the reason why Arsenal had to go all out attack.

ManUtd's was their worst defensive display this season probably.

• Advertisement

Leon Goretzka anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Did I say we produced defensive master class? I said the reason for high number of shots and the reason why Arsenal had to go all out attack.

ManUtd's was their worst defensive display this season probably.

So the number of shots is also a result of United being crap defensively, as opposed to dropping into a Conservative style having gone 2 up.

So the number of shots is also a result of United being crap defensively, as opposed to dropping into a Conservative style having gone 2 up.

Number of shots is result of Arsenal throwing caution to the win and going all out attack, which we didn't cope well.

Like I said, if the game was 0-0 or 1-0, Arsenal would have been more cautious in their approach. At 2-0 down, they had nothing to lose.

ManUtd went 2-0 up and dropped deep. Don't think it's up for debate as first 10 mins is easy to watch again. Don't think Arsenal created any chance before we scored second goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Why is there ads for the Manchester City store popping up in the United thread for me? Before anyone says anything, I've never gone near the bitters site.

you must be googling them A LOT!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

why what have they won??

you must be very young and dont remember United side of 99 or the united team around the 2008-2010 period

• Advertisement

If the opposite had have occurred on Saturday - Arsenal won 3-1 but United dominated the possession and shot stats, the 'neutral' reaction would have been wildly different.

"Tough luck United, possession doesn't win you games" - "Never mind how many attempts you had, you only scored one of them, quit your whinging".

Instead, it's like some great affront to football that United came out the winners at the Emirates on Saturday. Like the team bagged 3 OGs or got lucky with a few set-pieces. The goals were well-worked and deserved. The fact that the third one went against the run of play does not mean that it wasn't deserved.

Arsenal could have won that game about 9-5. Could have. It seems that most Arsenal fans are willing to let that go and look forward, seems that we're doing the same and are focused on the derby. However, this result is hurting neutrals who should give no more than a passing fúck about it, some of whom should be quite happy since the Arsenal defeat means that their own team remains in the Top 4.

Couple of thoughts from the game...

- Pogba deserved to go, obviously, malice or not. He was really good up until that. His strength while in possession of the ball is a wonder at times. For an example, see how he assisted Jesse's second.

- Bellerin on Lukaku, I don't think red would have been right. Before being brought down, Lukaku already had to restart his acceleration and get his dribble under control after initially scrapping with Bellerin for the ball. By the time Lukaku was brought down, there were at least 2 Arsenal players who were going to catch up with Lukaku before he'd get near the box. They were already in full sprint while Lukaku was trying to get control of the ball.

Had Bellerin not brought him down, what we would have seen was Lukaku get the ball and make a line on goal. By the time he reached the box though, he would have been caught by the 2 Arsenal players and possibly Bellerin too. Lukaku would have stopped to hold-up the ball and await some help, and who knows what would have happened from there. I really don't think it was a clear case of denying a goal-scoring opportunity, or the last man bringing a player down.

- There was a challenge from Ozil on Herrera late on which I thought went under the radar as the worst of the game, outside of Pogba's of course. It was around 70 minutes and happened in the middle of the pitch while neither side were attacking. A side/rear lunge from Ozil with no hope of getting the ball. Ozil didn't even get booked.

- DDG. He deserved MOTM (Hoddle: "DDG was magnificent, but I'll always go for an attacking player who bagged 2 goals in a win for his team" - tut) and if DDG ever sees another PL/CL title win with United, that fax machine will deserve a statue out on Sir Matt Busby Way. Whoever the best goalkeeper in the world is right now, I couldn't give less of a fúck. DDG plays for Manchester United and is currently showing no signs of leaving. That's all I care about. The rest is just splitting hairs for the purpose of a very pointless pissing contest.

- Dave saves. But Ashley Young does too apparently. The goal-bound stop from an Arsenal free-kick was physically impressive, but him hiding and holding off until the last second to make that top corner a tempting target was very impressive on a mental level. Showed some good use of the ol' brain. DDG had it covered, but it was still some quality defending from Young...

https://streamable.com/yrjy9

As it stands, the 6/6 points from away games at Watford and Arsenal goes beyond my expectations. We could end up with 6/9 after the City game, and still that return would go beyond my expectations for this tough run of 3 games. Hopefully there'll be at least a point bagged next Sunday, but I'm well impressed with the two results just gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Anyone else nervous anytime the ball comes near Rojo?

I know he has just come back from a big injury but I think he has been poor in both the Watford game and on Saturday too. No coincidence he has two bookings in the games either. hopefully he gets his composure back as he was so good at times last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Hopefully Bailly and Jones both will be back fit for Manchester derby.

Worried about Pogba being out that.
    City have had some shaky moments but you can be sure they will be pumped up for this game and the quality is there.

Also I'm late to the game but that match at the weekend was outstanding. One of the best Arsenal v United clashes in recent times, felt like the old days haha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Actually can't stop watching the assist from Martial for Lingaard. Slowly turning into the monster we all want.

That was an unbelievable assist to perform in a game like that. He was brilliant yesterday.

The first 10 minutes are part of the game too. we ripped them apart and we got the reward. They were always going come at us.

we could have scored 3 more our self's but that seems be well forgotten by some Arsenal fans and neutrals. in fairness most here acknowledge it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

The first 10 minutes are part of the game too. we ripped them apart and we got the reward. They were always going come at us.

we could have scored 3 more our self's but that seems be well forgotten by some Arsenal fans and neutrals. in fairness most here acknowledge it.

Agree. Arsenal dominated possession but we were a clear threat on the counter. After the red-card of course it was going to change the game completely.

Interestingly for me, I was talking to a friend about the game on Sunday who's a neutral. When I said we were lucky he just shrugged saying we scored 3 goals, and that Arsenal play a different way to United but United got the game plan right. Now I say he is a neutral, but he's an Italian Inter Milan fan so no doubt he's going to side with Jose :pac:

I cannot wait until next weekend now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Also need to give credit to the manager. I've been critical enough so only fair to give him props.

That is exactly how I want to see United play in the big games. That is how a club our size, with players of our quality should play. Harry, harass, clinical, ruthless, aggressive. The defending was absolutely bonkers and I don't blame him on that at all. Some players clearly got caught in the emotions and atmosphere of the game and were a mess. De Gea, sure look what more can you say.

I think Lingaard is showing Mata and Mhikitayrian what is required to play 10 for Jose. Pace on the counter, productivity, goals and just harassment and a serious workload. I think he's in the team until he stops performing after those two games.

Was watching Ozil with interest obviously with the links. What a class player, thought he was brilliant. Would be delighted if he came to us, just a wonderfully gifted player. I like how Sanchez is starting to get found out. All that chest pumping, arm throwing nonsense all being self service. Ozil has the same issues and frustrations but he plays as part of the team, Sanchez just does his own trick.

Pogba obviously a big loss, in real time thought it was just one of those 50/50's that can go bad and still probably think that. He's a guy that likes to trap the ball and spin so figure thats what he was trying, although can see why people would label it intentional and nasty. Giving him the benefit of the doubt.

What is really important for me about this win is how we played, what we did, and what the manager and players can take from it. The manager can trust the players in a big game to play on the front foot, and the players should believe they can play multiple ways to win.

Watching City the last few weeks (handy their games arn't on same time as us) that midfield and defence I still think can get over run. Silva and De Bruyne in a midfield. Sure lovely players, but lightweight. And that defence. Absolutely PRAY we do the same again at OT at the weekend and not sit back and try soak them and counter them. Lets press, harass, sure box clever and counter when we can. But I think its important even if we lose, we give them body blows. Get at that defence and score.

I'd rather lose 4-3 at the weekend in a game we are on the front foot, as opposed to draw 1-1 or lose 1-0 while deploying the Jose tactics of old. Even if we lose, need to show the league this team isn't all its cracked up to be and lay down some methods to breach. So other teams can atleast stop being total pussies and just sitting back trying to soak pressure. We need other teams to start nicking points of them, so apart from doing it ourselves, think its important we give them some serious body shots at the weekend.

before the game a lot of people were surprised by both selections and many felt Wenger had got it right.

I always thought Jose would go more attacking against Wenger and so it showed.

Jose selection was no surprise and I felt Wenger fell for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Best side ever in the premier league lol.

Might not be the best team this season, let's wait until 38 games are played.

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Best side ever in the premier league lol.

Might not be the best team this season, let's wait until 38 games are played.

I agree, it's nonsense.
    It's the stuff you see being spouted on Sky Sports. Come back to me when the league is over before you start proclaiming such wild stuff.
    Shooting the load too soon as usual. Like Liverpool every November.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement