Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I agree, it's nonsense.
    It's the stuff you see being spouted on Sky Sports. Come back to me when the league is over before you start proclaiming such wild stuff.
    Shooting the load too soon as usual. Like Liverpool every November.

How much are people offering that the above will be screenshotted? :D

astradave wrote: »
    How much are people offering that the above will be screenshotted? :D

Exactly, that type of cringe too :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

So is Lingard starting to convince people that he's more than just a squad option? He's really showing up this season and deserves his place ahead of more vaunted players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Has definitely pushed ahead of Mata and Mkhitaryan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Jayop wrote: »
    So is Lingard starting to convince people that he's more than just a squad option? He's really showing up this season and deserves his place ahead of more vaunted players.

If you judge him on past two games yes he has improved an awful lot. At the monent id have him ahead of the other two and hopefully he improves his consistency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

If he keeps up his performances then absolutely, when he is in sync he is outstanding.

I've been a huge critic of his in the past but alot of the more frustrating things he did repeatedly in the past few seasons have been eliminated so imo he has earned a chance to get a good run of games (4 to 5 at least) and try and cement his place.

I'm probably one of his biggest critics here.
    Well he's brushing Miki & Mata aside.
    His work rate cannot be denied. And tbf to him he has scored some very good goals.
    If he keeps going the way he's going then I can't see how both Miki & Mata will get back into the first 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I'm probably one of his biggest critics here.
    Well he's brushing Miki & Mata aside.
    His work rate cannot be denied. And tbf to him he has scored some very good goals.
    If he keeps going the way he's going then I can't see how both Miki & Mata will get back into the first 11.

I'm the same, and I'm still not sure if he will be anything more than a squad player.

But I said before if he could just become better with his numbers, finishing and assists, he could be our own little Muller. His pace, interplay and off the ball running is incredibly intelligent. And he has a knack of being in the right place, just needs to do it more.

For a Mourinho team, he's put in two performances that are exactly what the manager wants, so as he keeps doing it, he's in. Mata really just can't do it in the Jose mould, Mhikitaryian can, but he just needs to get his act together. Those two games for Lingaard are the quintessential Jose Mourinho no.10. What Oscar did for him, what Sneijder did for him, what Ozil did for him, just exactly what he wants.

Someone who drops into midfield when out of possession but has the ability to unlock defences and play low touch football on the break.

If Lingaard can keep that up for the next few games, especially this weekend, the manager might have to have a proper think if he wants to introduce the likes of an Ozil or another 10 into the squad.

Somewhat separate tangent, and sure we have time to burn before the weekend.

Havn't really noticed anything major, be it headlines, pod discussions or even here on the thread, about how Rashford has somewhat slipped to the bench with Martial looking to have nailed down the left hand side slot.

It's no issue, having two players in great form one just pipping the other. But there will likely always be a demand for both to play. Martial just looks like hes going to explode in terms of form. Actually love his reaction coming of yesterday, he shouldn't be happy. But hopefully he knows thats the level we need week in week out and he starts doing it for the remainder of the season.

In the pushover games at home, would like to see Martial playing more alongside Lukaku in a central role. Still convinced in myself he is going to be a lethal striker. Why not really put the hurt on teams?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Actually can't stop watching the assist from Martial for Lingaard. Slowly turning into the monster we all want.

That was an unbelievable assist to perform in a game like that. He was brilliant yesterday.
    I think Martial has been really influential in the last 2 games and I put a lot of that down to the change in formation.

The last 2 games looked closer to a 3-4-1-2 formation with Martial playing a lot more central than he does when we play with 4 at the back. I must look at the heat maps to confirm my suspicions but he no longer appears to be hugging the touchline as much as earlier in the season where it felt more like 4-2-3-1.

And who is Leon Goretzka, and should I get hyped? Like the sound of a new central midfielder in January.

Just quickly threw him into Squawka against my boyz

CM Matrix

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I think Martial has been really influential in the last 2 games and I put a lot of that down to the change in formation.

The last 2 games looked closer to a 3-4-1-2 formation with Martial playing a lot more central than he does when we play with 4 at the back. I must look at the heat maps to confirm my suspicions but he's no longer appears to be hugging the touchline as much as earlier in the season where it felt more like 4-2-3-1.

Yeah it definitely looks like his playing more narrow allowing room for Young to overlap him.

Starting to look like a three man midfield also with our #10 considered part of it. Still looks like Martial is a fair distance away from Lukaku for the flick ons but sometimes he isn't, so a heatmap would be interesting actually. Maybe what I want is already happening :D

Jesse seems to be the perfect player to have if your playing on the counter. He is to be the best player we have running directly with the ball. (martial being the best dribbler imo) His pressing is very good

Against a more packed defence a player of Mata's or Mikis quality might be better in trying to unlock a defence but if he can improve that part of his game then he could push of a regular first team place. He could be interesting as a wing back in a 352 also (think thats where LVG played him in his first premier league game before he went off injured)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You don't have to go back more than a few weeks to find quotes from people critical of Lingard, so I wouldn't get too carried away just yet. "Nowhere near the level" as one lad described him a few months ago. ;)

You have to respect him though, he doesn't have the innate quality of some players but he is clearly working hard and improving himself, he is becoming more consistent and that will really stand to him over time.

Its a bit of faint praise to say he is contributing more than Mata or Mkhitaryan because who isn't, but on his own merits we can't really ask for much more than he has given.

Jesse seems to be the perfect player to have if your playing on the counter. He is to be the best player we have running directly with the ball. (martial being the best dribbler imo) His pressing is very good

Against a more packed defence a player of Mata's or Mikis quality might be better in trying to unlock a defence but if he can improve that part of his game then he could push of a regular first team place. He could be interesting as a wing back in a 352 also (think thats where LVG played him in his first premier league game before he went off injured)

Yeah remember I think it was Everton or someone last season himself and Rashford were literally slicing them open on the counter at will. He can do a nice little jink where he gets a bit of space and hes gone.

In fairness Mhikitaryian is the same, he looks the fastest player we have on the dribble, his decision making has just been piss and he was losing the ball so much, probably trying to break too fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Heatmap for Martial (please work)

https://www.sofascore.com/player/anthony-martial/191176

Bah that just seems to link to the profile. Well just click on the rating beside the Arsenal 1-3 Man Utd and the heat map will pop up.

Havn't really noticed anything major, be it headlines, pod discussions or even here on the thread, about how Rashford has somewhat slipped to the bench

Thats exactly as it should be. It was very clear over just two games that Rashford was off the pace for whatever reason, which is perfectly normal in a young lad like that, and so it was far better to quickly take him out of the spotlight for a few games instead of keeping him out there until people started to notice it and comment on it.

Yeah it definitely looks like his playing more narrow allowing room for Young to overlap him.

Starting to look like a three man midfield also with our #10 considered part of it. Still looks like Martial is a fair distance away from Lukaku for the flick ons but sometimes he isn't, so a heatmap would be interesting actually. Maybe what I want is already happening :D
    Yeah, had a quick look and the heat maps show a substantial difference over the past few weeks. Will look into it in a bit more detail later to see how it compares to earlier in the season.

And who is Leon Goretzka, and should I get hyped? Like the sound of a new central midfielder in January.

Just quickly threw him into Squawka against my boyz

CM Matrix

I'm not his biggest fan but someone like Kross is the exact player we need to complete of midfield. Someone who is just so comfortable on the ball he can get on it no matter what play the right pass and relief pressure. It was really evident against Arsenal how panicked lads can be on the ball when under severe pressure but if we had a go player to like him it'd make everyone calmer imo.

Matic is kinda low risk passer, Pobga is a high risk just need someone who is no risk.

I'm not his biggest fan but someone like Kross is the exact player we need to complete of midfield. Someone who is just so comfortable on the ball he can get on it no matter what play the right pass and relief pressure. It was really evident against Arsenal how panicked lads can be on the ball when under severe pressure but if we had a go player to like him it'd make everyone calmer imo.

This is something we really need to address, we simply do not control midfield any more and we haven't for a long time.

Its a problem, forget Arsenal, even against the smaller sides we seemingly cannot get on the ball and keep possession well enough to set a tempo that suits our needs, we make these weaker sides look like world beaters because they can turn the ball over so easily. We see out games by defending deep and scrambling when really we should have the players to just keep the ball and run the clock down. I don't mean tiki taki rubbish, just simply stringing 15/20 passes together in safe areas of the field. We don't do it when we need to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Pogba banned for 3 games.
    Ibrahimovic also out injured for the weekend.

Them classless Pogba comments about 'hoping Man City players get injured' really have backfired on him & his teammates.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

FitzShane wrote: »
    Pogba banned for 3 games.
    Ibrahimovic also out injured for the weekend.

Them classless Pogba comments about 'hoping Man City players get injured' really have backfired on him & his teammates.

We all knew a 3 game ban was coming. Thought he could have been at risk of more after the sarcastic clap.

On the comments he made. I don't know if I would categorically say it was classless. More like honest. It's something I'm sure most players think but don't say. It's not what many want to hear but doesn't make him some sort of evil person.

Of course it being Pogba will get a lot of people shouting about how disrespectful and unsporting a comment it is to make. The same people who were probably very empathetic towards Pogba when he was out with injury ;)

No issues with Pogba's comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

we are 12/5 to win on Sunday, cant remember the last time we were such big odds for a home game!!

J. Marston wrote: »
    No issues with Pogba's comments.

I don't see why anyone would have issue, it's what most people will start to say or think, looking for ways for City to slip up.

The immediate thing is assuming they will have a blip, and how they deal with it. The other is maybe what happens if they get some key injuries, like we had, and how they cope.

Reality is they should have enough quality to cover, but you get an injury to someone like De Bruyne and there really isn't someone there to step in. Like anytime who lose their big players.

Comedy is all about timing, and it wasn't the may west from Pogba there in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Can you imagine what would happen if Pogba put in a tackle on a City player like he did on Bellerin?

What would people say then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Can you imagine what would happen if Pogba put in a tackle on a City player like he did on Bellerin?

What do you want them to say? He went for the ball and won it he he didn't rise his foot he didn't change his stride to make contact with bellerin it just happens his leg is where he landed.

It was a red card and he got a red card and he got a 3 match ban automatically I dont see what else people need to say about it.

The exact same things they said on Saturday?

bangkok wrote: »
    we are 12/5 to win on Sunday, cant remember the last time we were such big odds for a home game!!
    I think our odds have come in since the City - West Ham game. I thought I saw us at around 3/1 with City odds on to win on Saturday night.

• Advertisement

wasnt much of a tackle, he went for the ball, didnt slide in, was more to do with whatever way bellerin went to win the ball and his leg was there. was a red card but nothing malicious in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I still think he was unlucky to get sent off.

adox wrote: »
    I still think he was unlucky to get sent off.

I thought united should have appealed it on the grounds of the way Bellarin unnaturally slid in.. his body shape was all wrong, he did it another time in the match too.. looked like he didn’t commit to the challenges properly and its one of the first rules you learn while playing football.. commit to 50/50 tackles or get hurt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Genuine question here.... Did you mess up the wording if this? cause I can't understand what point you are making.

Why would the team of the player it happened against make a difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Ooh...FA Cup draw on now.

Bbc2

Derby at home.

That'll do, pig.

The quadruple is there for the taking!!!!

J. Marston wrote: »
    Derby at home.

That'll do, pig.

I'm an eejit. I initially took that as Man City at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Why did he say Ibra out for the weekend?

He isn't, Jose explicitly said he expects him to be involved.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

Is it looking like Fellaini is out for the weekend?

:(

Why did he say Ibra out for the weekend?

He isn't, Jose explicitly said he expects him to be involved.

HE just said he was out for the CL game as he needs to be rested cause of Fatigue building up in his knee from coming back from injury.. basically not rushed back to be involved in 2 games a week

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/937684205169004544?s=17

Jose still in awe at the Arsenal medical department...
    Jose wrote:
    Carrick is not available, but...I can make a surprise tomorrow and the one that isn't available, plays!"

astradave wrote: »
    HE just said he was out for the CL game as he needs to be rested cause of Fatigue building up in his knee from coming back from injury.. basically not rushed back to be involved in 2 games a week

If he needs to be rested after a few cameo appearances, 59 minutes in total, then its hard not to think that he is back far too early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

If fellaini is out :( I can't trust Ander to come into to do a job, the fella looks so far off the pace confidence wise.

The pool game I was near sure he was going to get himself sent off with the silly amount of slide tackling he was at, think Sunday he'll be at the same and won't be so fortunate.

That's not a good situation to be facing against "the best ever PL side".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Don't know if it was mentioned already but Jones is back in training now. No sign of Bailly though which is disappointing. Team news is gonna be an interesting one this Sunday.

https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/937701613204107264

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The Mail: "United to tie up £50 million deal for Danny Rose in January."

The S*n: "Jose to be given £80 million to spend in January".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

If he needs to be rested after a few cameo appearances, 59 minutes in total, then its hard not to think that he is back far too early.

I don't think its that he needs a rest, from hearing Mourinho it seems that Zlatan is still receiving rehabilitation treatment on the knee and surrounding area, and sometimes he has to do more strenuous work on it so they want to give him time to recuperate from the treatment basically.

Not that he is in need of a rest from his light playing time.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

24296421_10155335001557746_8763412212556195622_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoiYiJ9&oh=c4f9e998111e5323406edf00214f7393&oe=5AC8389A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

pjohnson wrote: »
    24296421_10155335001557746_8763412212556195622_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoiYiJ9&oh=c4f9e998111e5323406edf00214f7393&oe=5AC8389A

Hope someone gets him a cake

paulbok wrote: »
    Hope someone gets him a cake

Its ok, hes not yaya toure

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement