Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

J. Marston wrote: »
    Using this game to say anything about anyone is pointless.

CSKA are the worst team we've played in a fair while. They're shocking.

Any opinion I’m giving on a player tonight is either just based on tonight’s performance(Pogba) or if commenting on the player in general has been formed over an extended period.

It'd be nice to win the champions league again and we have a chance. Small chance but a chance no less

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Work rate? Based on this game? Ah no, now I know you're taking the piss....

I love Pogba but I don't know why anyone seriously would choose this hill to die on. It is acceptable to say "he's usually good but had a poor game", you know.

What about his passes? Id say nobody passed the ball more than him today

It'd be nice to win the champions league again and we have a chance. Small chance but a chance no less

Knockouts?
    We for sure have a chance. Like everyone else.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Knockouts?
    We for sure have a chance. Like everyone else.

Its just nice to be back :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Nice to be back in the Champions League knockout stages

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

A bit of love for Shaw. Ran his legs off, almost literally, looked good at times before understandably running out of gas. Fair play to him

ankles wrote: »
    A bit of love for Shaw. Ran his legs off, almost literally, looked good at times before understandably running out of gas. Fair play to him

Yea good game but I get pissed off everytime I see him at risk of injury.
    He's got to pull it together regularly to have any chance in staying at Utd

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Bayern, Juventus, Sevilla, Shaktar, Porto, Real Madrid

That's some mixed bag to choose from.

Aletico out now too though. Hopefully we can push for Griezmann now :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

You know what you get when you play Pogba in a two man midfield, he seriously neglects half of his job while being very good at the other half.

Of course our midfield will be non existent at times but we create lots of chances if we take them we win eg Arsenal and tonight

• Advertisement

Bring on Real

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

If we got griezmann at least we could move on from Mata been cup-tied.

Here’s the standard Pogba segment

You know what you get when you play Pogba in a two man midfield, he seriously neglects half of his job while being very good at the other half.

Of course our midfield will be non existent at times but we create lots of chances if we take them we win eg Arsenal and tonight

We won’t compete for the major honours long term with that system.

Now I’ve been a critic of his but we are getting Dunphys early Ronaldo type comment from Souness here.

Porto or sevilla please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Based on the players at our disposal Jose clearly prefers to have a third central defender facing the opposition as opposed to the extra body in midfield.

We are very unbalanced at the moment and it will bite us in the hole at some stage but I'm thoroughly enjoying the recent games.

Some will say that playing 3 at the back is Jose 'parking the bus' etc but this 3-4-1-2 line-up is extremely positive and had resulted in some great games as of late.

I seem to have enjoyed tonights game a lot more than others. I don't see a massive difference between this and other recent performances apart from us not being anywhere near as clinical as we could/should have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I'll go with a wild card option and say United/Napoli in the Round of 16.

Any joy you could possibly take from wining a game or having a decent run of results is so easily drained by reading this thread.

Performances are important but results are the bread and butter and United are grinding them out. Yes city are doing it better then us bit we can't control them just keep doing what we are doing.

I've never ever remembered a United team to win easy we rarely ever romped to titles on single performances alone even fergies last season we only won by such a margin because everyone else were so bad.

And I don't care if I have a tinfoil hat on it's good to be getting results consistently again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

Would he be cup tied like Mata is?

So the only three teams actually confirmed to finish second in their groups so far and we can draw are.....

Juventus, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich

• Advertisement

If Liverpool win tomorrow night and top their group Chelsea can only play one of three group winners in the last 16

Barcelona, PSG and Besiktas

Tylerdurex wrote: »

Nope he would be allowed play on account of been French and playing in Spain and having an Instagram account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Tylerdurex wrote:

Is Mata still cup tied

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Memories of our last great champions league run.... Under moyes....

United - Porto
    PSG - Madrid
    Barcelona - Munich
    Liverpool - Napoli
    Man City - Juventus
    Roma - Sevilla
    Besiktas - Chelsea
    Spurs - Basel

Please, thanks.

Pogba man of the match in the mirror

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/match-reports/manchester-united-2-1-cska-11645202.amp

8/10 manchester evening news

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/man-utd-player-ratings-cska-13999305.amp

Another 8/10

http://redrants.com/player-ratings-man-utd-2-1-cska-moscow/

Owen hargreaves raving about his performance in the game

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.thesportreview.com/2017/12/man-united-cska-moscow-pogba-hargreaves/amp/

Have to say i find it hard that some thought he was very poor tonight, i thought he dominated midfield and made aome excellent long and short range passes and his pass for lukakus goal was sublime. Then again, everyone sees the game differently i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Bangkok, just stop digging while you can..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

bangkok wrote: »
    Pogba man of the match in the mirror

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/match-reports/manchester-united-2-1-cska-11645202.amp

8/10 manchester evening news

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/man-utd-player-ratings-cska-13999305.amp

Another 8/10

http://redrants.com/player-ratings-man-utd-2-1-cska-moscow/

Owen hargreaves raving about his performance in the game

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.thesportreview.com/2017/12/man-united-cska-moscow-pogba-hargreaves/amp/

Have to say i find it hard that some thought he was very poor tonight, i thought he dominated midfield and made aome excellent long and short range passes and his pass for lukakus goal was sublime. Then again, everyone sees the game differently i suppose

People have their own eyes and have their own opinions on games.. and they are mainly not developed by listening to some of the ****e in the media.. you can use those sites to develop your opinion on a game all you want but you come across as incredibly biased and fail to see anything negative with players that you like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Dominated midfield?? Wtf

Pogba was poor enough tonight. Very poor is harsh I will admit.

• Advertisement

astradave wrote: »
    People have their own eyes and have their own opinions on games.. and they are mainly not developed by listening to some of the ****e in the media.. you can use those sites to develop your opinion on a game all you want but you come across as incredibly biased and fail to see anything negative with players that you like

Watching the game i just did not think he was poor. He tried a few things that didnt come off but thats to be expected by a flair player. Some of his other stuff was sublime. Few of his long range passing in the first half was class

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Glad to see Lindelof settling in. Uses the ball well himself and is very important to have someone that can step up and pass around.

Mata showed his quality and negatives tonight but at home, in this type of game I would expect him to play a lot as he does have a good creative side.

I wonder if this current formation is really a game plan for City rather than a long term one?Conceding midfield is not a good idea over the season.

The current formation allows three forwards, Martial, Lukaku and Lingard to disrupt and counter. Three at the back to cut space in centre, around the box. Two full backs can get forward a lot more with 3 CBs. Two in midfield is open but maybe that is the risk you take to have the three forwards pressing and the three defenders central.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I thought Pogba was good tonight tbh. Also thought Shaw had had a good outing as well, first time in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭irishchris

Haven't got chance to read up on the thread yet but just back in hotel after the match. Have to say atmosphere was the most flat I have ever seen. Really disappointing from the home fans and only noise was from the loopy half naked Russian fans. Mata apart from the assist was really poor on the ball tonight and blind at times to Rashford's runs. Defence looked solid, Lindelof who I despised at start of the season was very good on the ball going forward out of defence. Rashford and shaw were superb. Really impressed at Shaw's attitude and ability both defensively and offensively tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Papers tomorrow saying that the James to United episode is set for a sequel as both us and Chelsea are in for him from Bayern.

The Express saying De Gea wants to be on par with Madrid's top earners if he moves there next Summer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Watching the game i just did not think he was poor. He tried a few things that didnt come off but thats to be expected by a flair player. Some of his other stuff was sublime. Few of his long range passing in the first half was class

Your fighting a losing battle, sometimes i get the feeling people expected Keano type player instead of Zidane type
    Surely Pogba has shown how good he is since he came back, but people seem to want something he isnt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Admittedly I didn't see the full game as I was in work but I thought pogba was good too. Also thought Mata had some magical moments and both were pivotal to a goal each. Delighted to see that the two lads scored who have been struggling lately and Shaw was excellent although he tired badly in the last few minutes.

Here we observe the Juan Mata blossoming in its natural habitat...

https://twitter.com/ChampionsLeague/status/938187319898755073?s=09

The "See? He's still got it! Now, give us £25m for him in January please" award goes to...

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/938172920467161088

Seriously though, well done Luke Shaw. He had a strong game and hopefully there'll be more to see from him in the Christmas run. After the derby though. It has to be Ashley Young on the left next Sunday.

Speaking of struggling players, I thought that Lindelof had another impressive outing and Herrera had his best game in quite a while. Nothing to get Barca and PSG running for their cheque books, but still nice to see for both players.

irishman86 wrote: »
    Your fighting a losing battle, sometimes i get the feeling people expected Keano type player instead of Zidane type
    Surely Pogba has shown how good he is since he came back, but people seem to want something he isnt

And you see this is the sort of nonsense you get thrown back at you if you criticize Pogba at all, no matter how many times you try to explain yourself.

irishman86 wrote: »

That’s bullshît! Pogba had a poor game by his own high standards and people in this thread are rightly saying that.. on the other hand you have Bangkok spouting his usual biased hyperbolic nonsense and he was rightly called on it..

That’s bullshît! Pogba had a poor game by his own high standards and people in this thread are rightly saying that.. on the other hand you have Bangkok spouting his usual biased hyperbolic nonsense and he was rightly called on it..

Rightly called on what??! I thought he was good along with plenty of others on here. You thought he was poor along with others here, some even thought he was very poor.

I also thought mata was excellent, some here thought he was very poor.

Shaw i presume we can all agree on was very good

• Advertisement

Rightly called on what??! I thought he was good along with plenty of others on here. You thought he was poor along with others here, some even thought he was very poor.

I also thought mata was excellent, some here thought he was very poor.

Shaw i presume we can all agree on was very good

You stated that he dominated the midfield and used bull**** media links giving him 8/10 to back up your points..

I agree with Shaw up until he tired and thought Mata was very inconsistent.

My last comment on Pogba will be that I think it was a case of the Rooneys last night, he was poor for the majority of the game but had moments of magic that masked that in people’s eyes.. I will say this though, his moments are a joy to behold

Jose on Shaw...

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2017/Dec/Jose-Mourinho-says-Luke-Shaw-will-get-more-chances-after-Man-of-the-Match-display-v-CSKA-Moscow.aspx?utm_campaign=ManUtd&utm_medium=post&utm_source=twitter
    He said: “A very positive performance, especially with the balls going forward. Creating a lot, great intensity in his game. It was no surprise that in 80 minutes he’s feeling the consequences of that intensity; it’s normal as it’s the first match of the season for him. But he’s going to get more.”

The manager added on BT Sport: "He was waiting for quite a long time, he was deserving [of his chance] for quite a long time. It’s not easy to give an opportunity to a player who doesn’t play for many months in matches where the team really needs [a] result.

"I wanted to make changes but changes in players that need a change and not spend a change on Luke. But he managed on for 90 minutes and really I told him this is not the best, this is just an opportunity for you to play and to improve your level. Honestly, I am happy with his performance."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

I only saw the second half last night, I thought Pogba was fine. Looked more comfortable on the ball than anyone else.

It would be a lot easier to overlook the bad side of Pogbas game last night if he wasn't so isolated in a midfield two.

There's no denying the creative impact he's had since returning though. By my count he's been directly involved in 7 out of our 14 goals since he's returned.

I only saw the second half last night, I thought Pogba was fine. Looked more comfortable on the ball than anyone else.

Yep and first half some of his long range passing was exceptional

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

You stated that he dominated the midfield and used bull**** media links giving him 8/10 to back up your points..

I agree with Shaw up until he tired and thought Mata was very inconsistent.

My last comment on Pogba will be that I think it was a case of the Rooneys last night, he was poor for the majority of the game but had moments of magic that masked that in people’s eyes.. I will say this though, his moments are a joy to behold

Isn’t part of the problem that united are lacking top quality moments of magic in big games? They have plenty of players who can perform functional roles in an organized team but nobody who can replace that extra spark united get from Pogba.

Pogba may not be the finished article but he has qualities that no other midfielder in the team has. He is arguably the most comfortable central midfielder on the ball, the strongest and one of our best passers.

The performance against CSKA wouldn’t be something I would read too much into. Little riding on the game and he’s missing the next 3 games, I would imagine wasn’t ideal for motivating a top player.

For me, other then Matic or DDG , I don’t know what other player I would really be worried about missing for the city game in terms of being able to mostly replace them on some level.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

It's not so crazy to think different people rated his performance differently.

Nice to see Shaw back playing but I've gotten my hopes up before so will just wait and see.
    Not sure what to expect for the City game at the weekend. City have been far from their convincing self lately but still the quality they have.

I thought Pogba was good tonight tbh. Also thought Shaw had had a good outing as well, first time in years.

I wonder if he would be tempted to start Shaw? I wouldn’t bet on it but I only think it if he wants to push for the win which again I wouldn’t normally think he would. Shaw’s pace is electric!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Drumpot wrote: »
    I wonder if he would be tempted to start Shaw? I wouldn’t bet on it but I only think it if he wants to push for the win which again I wouldn’t normally think he would. Shaw’s pace is electric!

Would be extremely harsh on Young who has been spectacular for a few games. One good game from Shaw shouldn't override a handful from Young.

Would be extremely harsh on Young who has been spectacular for a few games. One good game from Shaw shouldn't override a handful from Young.

True but isn’t that exactly what the big coaches are there to do? Make the big calls in the big games! Jose doesn’t take many risks so I wouldn’t imagine he will start for numerous reasons but in light of the lost attacking threat of Pogba he could see Shaw as an alternative attacking option.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement