Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Young I thought was excellent last weekend. Offered a lot going forward and looked solid in defending, can't see him being dropped at all for Shaw for the City game.

Shaw lacks game-time and I think a team of the quality of City would pick him apart right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Drumpot wrote: »
    Isn’t part of the problem that united are lacking top quality moments of magic in big games? They have plenty of players who can perform functional roles in an organized team but nobody who can replace that extra spark united get from Pogba.

Pogba may not be the finished article but he has qualities that no other midfielder in the team has. He is arguably the most comfortable central midfielder on the ball, the strongest and one of our best passers.

The performance against CSKA wouldn’t be something I would read too much into. Little riding on the game and he’s missing the next 3 games, I would imagine wasn’t ideal for motivating a top player.

For me, other then Matic or DDG , I don’t know what other player I would really be worried about missing for the city game in terms of being able to mostly replace them on some level.

But that’s all we are talking about, the game against CSKA, not the rest of the season, if you read my posts you will see that I was clearly just talking about his performance last night.. not the season, in which when he has played he has been from exceptional to downright outrageous..

I and others have stated that he had a poor game last night judging by his own high standards.. it’s not my(and I’m sure others) opinion on the rest of the season

The defensive aspect of Young’s game will make sure he starts it.. could see Shaw come on for last 30 if things are going our way to run at tired legs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

No chance Shaw starts Sunday. Can't imagine Jose trusts him enough based on one performance.

Bournemouth on Wednesday, at home, could be another good chance to give him a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Drumpot wrote: »
    Isn’t part of the problem that united are lacking top quality moments of magic in big games?

Absolutely and I think he's been a let down in those situations.

I thought he played fine yesterday. Typical Pogba performance against an average side while playing in a two man midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It would be great if Shaw recreated that form for another 20 games this season but let's not kid ourselves, one good half in a dead rubber at home to a CL also-ran isn't nearly enough evidence that he is ready for a first team spot.

He will go back to the bench and reserves, and if the next few times he gets games he puts in the same performances, then we can start talking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Young I thought was excellent last weekend. Offered a lot going forward and looked solid in defending, can't see him being dropped at all for Shaw for the City game.

Shaw lacks game-time and I think a team of the quality of City would pick him apart right now.

I think Valencia and Young have been great this season. I am not suggesting Young be dropped for anything he has or hasn’t done, but Shaw is a far quicker player with a potential to offer more for our forwards . Yes, he is lacking in games and one good attacking performance against a fairly weak side doesn’t override a very strong season from Young.

But united are 3-1 to beat City at home. Playing Young is playing it safe (which is what I expect BTW), I think united may need to offer something different to beat City and the risks associated with it are that you might lose heavily. Given the Liverpool game (and Pogba absence added), I imagine Jose will prob take a draw because as good as Uniteds run has been they haven’t looked anywhere near the quality of City. Even against Arsenal , on another day united would of actually lost that game, the scoreline was flattering in many regards.

Can united keep a clean sheet and nick a 1-0? Considering the fluidity and potency of the city attack, I’m not sure. But the one thing that gives me hope is the manager. He has a remarkable ability to motivate and setup his sides to compensate for lack of quality, with organization.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

astradave wrote: »
    The defensive aspect of Young’s game will make sure he starts it.. could see Shaw come on for last 30 if things are going our way to run at tired legs

I can see the opposite. Shaw coming in if things aren’t going our way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

No way does Shaw start after playing 90 last night and not having played for so long. I'd love to see him play midweek next week and then start the Carling Cup game. That would seen him close to full match fitness to properly compete for the starting position. I'm in shock I'm even talking about Shaw potentially starting games. It's great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I thought pogba was phenomenal last night :):)

jayo26 wrote: »

DfL1YBI3R12RGEAAwZHL_jump-fish.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Linked with Lazio midfielder Sergej Milinkovic Savic in papers today, the OLDER brother of former goalkeeper of ours Vanja! I would have assumed he was the younger brother.

It's funny the definition of a poor game for Pogba.
    He changed the game regardless and that's why he was purchased.
    Can do things that other players cannot.
    Everything notable the team done he was involved in it's creation.
    Think some lads get irked if he loses possession from time to time.
    That would be addressed in a 3 man midfield IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Jose on the team news against City -
    Starting: Matic
    "Big chance" of featuring: Zlatan
    "Chance" of featuring: Fellaini & Jones
    Out Injured: Bailly & Carrick
    Suspended: Pogba

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    Jose on the team news against City -
    Starting: Matic
    "Big chance" of featuring: Zlatan
    "Chance" of featuring: Fellaini & Jones
    Out Injured: Bailly & Carrick
    Suspended: Pogba

Midfield of matic Herrera and Fellaini the weekend, Fellaini highest up to bypass press and be a quick outball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

only 2 sure things in life

death

and

Souness having a weekly pop at Pogba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Herrera will be tasked with tracking KDB maybe, Matic mopping up anything else and Fellaini providing the outball

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Hoping Jones comes back and continues where he left off with a great display.
    Tough ask against City but we need to carry our form on.

only 2 sure things in life

death

and

Souness having a weekly pop at Pogba

It's glorious.

I love it it's same with pool fans and all saying the saves that de gea was making werent that hard to make.. thats fine lads you think that as long as they keep under performing as they are ill be happy and ye worry about your best attack in the world.

• Advertisement

Herrera will be tasked with tracking KDB maybe, Matic mopping up anything else and Fellaini providing the outball

Herrera looked better last night I think. Hopefully getting some form back, but I would still have confidence in his ability to do a job man marking. If he's doing that, Matic is mopping then who do we have as a play maker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

And then we have the david silva issue. Probably there best player

bangkok wrote: »
    And then we have the david silva issue. Probably there best player

Hopefully the rumors of his not playing are true. Would somewhat negate us missing pogba.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

adox wrote: »
    And you see this is the sort of nonsense you get thrown back at you if you criticize Pogba at all, no matter how many times you try to explain yourself.
    astradave wrote: »
    That’s bullsh Pogba had a poor game by his own high standards and people in this thread are rightly saying that.. on the other hand you have Bangkok spouting his usual biased hyperbolic nonsense and he was rightly called on it..

It happens in every thread buddy, Pogba scores hattrick gets 4 assists would still have a bad game in some peoples eyes

I love it it's same with pool fans and all saying the saves that de gea was making werent that hard to make.. thats fine lads you think that as long as they keep under performing as they are ill be happy and ye worry about your best attack in the world.

I don't like defending Pool, don't like being kind, but since they lost to Spurs they've gone unbeaten in 6 games (won 5, only draw being against Chelsea), picked up 16 points out of 18, scored 19 and conceded 3. Can argue some of the teams they played but it would appear they have hit a purple patch.

Wouldn't completely underestimate them myself. They're closer to us than we are to City. They've already played Arsenal, Man City, Spurs, Chelsea and ourselves. I expect them to finish this calendar year quite strong.

irishman86 wrote: »
    It happens in every thread buddy, Pogba scores hattrick gets 4 assists would still have a bad game in some peoples eyes

Yet that wasn’t happening in this thread where you stated it! People were giving their opinion on one match last night.

I’m not your buddy, pal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

irishman86 wrote: »

I find that to be incredibly unfair tbh. I was one last night saying I thought he had a poor game, but I've been very supportive of him this season. Your response is just lazy tbh.

Jayop wrote: »
    Hopefully the rumors of his not playing are true. Would somewhat negate us missing pogba.

He is def playing.

Lacazette was meant to be out for a month before we played arsenal.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I don't like defending Pool, don't like being kind, but since they lost to Spurs they've gone unbeaten in 6 games (won 5, only draw being against Chelsea), picked up 16 points out of 18, scored 19 and conceded 3. Can argue some of the teams they played but it would appear they have hit a purple patch.

Wouldn't completely underestimate them myself. They're closer to us than we are to City. They've already played Arsenal, Man City, Spurs, Chelsea and ourselves. I expect them to finish this calendar year quite strong.

When I mentioned they I was actually talking about our players that are been criticised I wasn't talking about pool.

As long as we keep pulling out results that's all we can do I'm not worried about liverpool.. not because I think they are no good but it's too early in season to be judging teams and players there is along way to go.

Duncan Castle is reporting Jose has 90m to spend in January.

• Advertisement

Lord TSC wrote: »

The exact price of griezemann

The exact price of griezemann

Is he a fullback? :p

Castles also says Jose has identified three problem areas, and wants a new left back, midfielder and winger.

Castles also says Jose has identified three problem areas, and wants a new left back, midfielder and winger.

I reckon we will hold off on the left back and midfielder till the summer unless we offload people.. McTominay will probably get more games.. though his passing was nice and crisp last night when he came on and was strong in the challenge

We were heavily linked with emil forsberg a while back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

We were heavily linked with emil forsberg a while back.

RBL look like a nightmare to try sign a player from.

Yeah just have to look in Liverpool’s direction with that one..

They struggled to buy a player from Southampton last summer ffs so cant judge them on that saga.

They struggled to buy a player from Southampton last summer ffs so cant judge them on that saga.

Ya and they should have that down to a fine art at this stage. Maybe they forgot to sign to to southampton prime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Gone up from the £80 million that was mentioned yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

I think todays is Euro, €90m

Brexit inflation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I'll be pleasantly surprised if we sign anyone in January.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if we sign anyone in January.

If a player is available that we need to sign, then may as well sign them now even of they cant play champions league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

In our current 40 match home unbeaten run we've scored 85 goals and conceded 17.

United’s top 5 unbeaten home runs
    1. 40 matches – December 1964 to April 1966
    2. 40 matches – September 2016 to present
    3. 38 matches – December 1998 to April 2000
    4. 37 matches – April 2010 to October 2011
    5. 33 matches – March 1955 to October 1956

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

I can see us buying dendoncker as a replacement for Carrick and understudy to Matic in the summer . Fabregas and Ozil would be two could players to pick up for free also in the summer and could be replacements for Miki and Mata . Not 100% sold on Greizmann. I don't think he's worth the money .

In our current 40 match home unbeaten run we've scored 85 goals and conceded 17.

United’s top 5 unbeaten home runs
    1. 40 matches – December 1964 to April 1966
    2. 40 matches – September 2016 to present
    3. 38 matches – December 1998 to April 2000
    4. 37 matches – April 2010 to October 2011
    5. 33 matches – March 1955 to October 1956

So we can create a new club record with a draw or win on sunday and they can create a new premier league one by beating us. Sky couldn't have scripted it better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

So we can create a new club record with a draw or win on sunday and they can create a new premier league one by beating us. Sky couldn't have scripted it better

Cue a snooze fest 0-0

I wonder was there anything in the conversation Jose had with baby kluivert after Europa league final. He is having a decent season with Ajax from what I've seen.

thelad95 wrote: »
    Cue a snooze fest 0-0

I think I'd take it tbh.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement