Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

thelad95 wrote: »
    Cue a snooze fest 0-0
    Jayop wrote: »
    I think I'd take it tbh.

I’d take a nil all every day of the week
    Win would be bonus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Does anybody see a future team that starts with Lukaku, martial and Rashford? If united keep signing forwards (like Griezmann) somebody needs to make way. I would prefer to see the club work with these players while strengthening other areas (particularly central defense) and maybe a more explosive winger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Drumpot wrote: »
    Does anybody see a future team that starts with Lukaku, martial and Rashford? If united keep signing forwards (like Griezmann) somebody needs to make way. I would prefer to see the club work with these players while strengthening other areas (particularly central defense) and maybe a more explosive winger.

I think central defence is our strongest position now. Think another midfielder and griezmann who would play wide right or another wide player.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Tylerdurex wrote: »
    I can see us buying dendoncker as a replacement for Carrick and understudy to Matic in the summer . Fabregas and Ozil would be two could players to pick up for free also in the summer and could be replacements for Miki and Mata . Not 100% sold on Greizmann. I don't think he's worth the money .

Reported :mad:.....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

So Jose has got the Xmas Bonus

Will he get the double week payment as well :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Jayop wrote: »
    I think I'd take it tbh.

Lose or draw and the league is over.

This is our chance to close the gap on city and even then 5 points will be hard to make up. Would rather we went for it and go for broke.

If its a draw we still 8 behind and city have played there 2 hardest away games, us and chelsea.

All or nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

bangkok wrote: »

This is our chance to close the gap on city and even then 5 points will be hard to make up. Would rather we went for it and go for broke.

If its a draw we still 8 behind and city have played there 2 hardest away games, us and chelsea.

All or nothing

Yes Jurgen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Drumpot wrote: »

A wide attacking player is a forward.

Don't think United can wait for a 20 year old and 22 year old to get to their peak.

Better to get another top class forward in to work with them.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Yes Jurgen.

If we draw you still think we can catch them??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If we draw you still think we can catch them??

Probably not no.

If we loose do you think Chelsea wont overtake us? I'd prefer to stay second tbh.

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    Probably not no.

If we loose do you think Chelsea wont overtake us? I'd prefer to stay second tbh.

Id prefer us to put pressure on city.

5 point gap isnt too much. Still difficult. If we lose couldnt really care if its 2nd or 3rd. Only the winner gets the top prize

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭Robson99

In relation to Pogba I think you have to set up a middle of the park system to suit him. He is very good going forward but not disciplined enough defensively and I dont think he ever will be. So you risk being over run in the middle when he is part of a two. Maybe play him at 10.
    Ideally if Hererra was playing well himself and Matic could be the two with Pogba given the free role
    Hopefully Shaw makes it back to his best as at his best he has to potential to be the best left back in the Premiership.
    I think middle of the park is where we need strengthening first. Dont know what player we could get though

Id prefer us to put pressure on city.

5 point gap isnt too much. Still difficult. If we lose couldnt really care if its 2nd or 3rd. Only the winner gets the top prize

That's very noble of you but if we don't win league I'd prefer a cup and second place to show a sign of progression.

We gave up on league position last year which was the right thing to do at the time but this year we need to keep pushing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Ah jaysus, are Shaktar gonna give City their first loss of the season and spoil our bid to do so :P

jayo26 wrote: »
    That's very noble of you but if we don't win league I'd prefer a cup and second place to show a sign of progression.

We gave up on league position last year which was the right thing to do at the time but this year we need to keep pushing.

And by pushing we need to beat city at home this weekend. Playing for a draw at home is crazy talk considering we are already 8 behind. Cant see mourinho doing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

They can be beat.

Well, their reserves can at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

He's not going to play for a draw, just like he didn't play for a draw against Liverpool.

He's also not going to start Shaw in an attempt to pose a more attacking threat or roll the dice in a similar way.

He will try win the game but that may involve sitting back, soaking up pressure and hitting on the counter or even hoping on taking advantage of set pieces. It also may result in a loss or draw just as it did at anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭xtal191

So who can we get in the next round?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

50/50 chance of getting a rotten draw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

If we don’t win the league(I didn’t and don’t expect us to this season) then finishing second would be a huge boost to the club and the players psychologically and certainly better than finishing third from that point of view.

When you have been top of the mountain for so long and have fallen from the summit for an extended period, the closer you get back to that summit on each attempt the more it’s within reach and the more you believe you will do it.

Where Utd are at now in their current cycle 2nd is most certainly better than third in my book. We aren’t serial winners any more and don’t have the luxury of statements like “winner takes the prize, couldn’t care less if we finish second or third”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Would prefer if we got a big European side. That group stage was all very meh. That group stage felt more Europa than Champions League tbh

Would prefer if we got a big European side. That group stage was all very meh. That group stage felt more Europa than Champions League tbh

Didnt even play champions league music last night. Made a mess of it

xtal191 wrote: »
    So who can we get in the next round?

Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Juventus, Sevilla, Porto, Shakhtar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,714 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Juventus, Sevilla, Porto, Shakhtar

My kingdom for the last 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Something about Real when we play them even in a slump they always turn up against us, Porto please would be grand to get them, Bayern worst of the front three always such a frustrating match to watch against them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

I just knew Dunphy would talk ****e about United

Seen this earlier
    Sir Alex Ferguson only missed two Manchester United matches while manager... one for son’s wedding and another to scout David De Gea

Legend

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

All or nothing

You are so god damned negative it does my god damn head. United have closed down points gaps before.

OH AND THIS SEASON ISN'T EVEN HALFWAY THERE YET.

So zip it with the over-dramatics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭xtal191

So anyone apart from Real and Bayern will do nicely, don't think we'd have too much trouble beating the other 4 over two legs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

So anyone apart from Real and Bayern will do nicely, don't think we'd have too much trouble beating the other 4 over two legs.

Juventus would be very tough

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Screen shoted.

I don't think any of them teams would be a draw that you would say you wouldn't mind getting... Even Sevilla we all know what they can do in latter stages of European competition........

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Dead right, we are the home team. F**k them

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    You are so god damned negative it does my god damn head. United have closed down points gaps before.

OH AND THIS SEASON ISN'T EVEN HALFWAY THERE YET.

So zip it with the over-dramatics.

There being negative and theres being realistic. If we dont beat city this sunday the league is over.

They would have to lose 3 games between now and end of season, we would have to win every single one of our games. That is not going to happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,641 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Too right, never know what they are feckin filming

There being negative and theres being realistic. If we dont beat city this sunday the league is over.

They would have to lose 3 games between now and end of season, we would have to win every single one of our games. That is not going to happen

See thats not been realistic bangkok thats giving your opinion and your opini9n is not fact its not wrote in stone.

While i agree that it would be hard and even now i don't think we will win the league i think city will prove to be too good it is too early to be talking league over before Christmas.

Frosty january and February with loads of games it is not against the realm of possibility that any team can go on a terrible run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If they beat us it’ll be signed and sealed, no team is throwing away 11 points plus goal difference.

jayo26 wrote: »
    See thats not been realistic bangkok thats giving your opinion and your opini9n is not fact its not wrote in stone.

While i agree that it would be hard and even now i don't think we will win the league i think city will prove to be too good it is too early to be talking league over before Christmas.

Frosty january and February with loads of games it is not against the realm of possibility that any team can go on a terrible run.

Yes they can but they have too much quality in there team. So have we but we wont go unbeaten and will probably lose another couple of games before season is over meaning city would need to lose 5/6 games.

Only chance we have of winning league is starting by beating them this sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

3 whole games!!!! Thats unpossible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,487 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

3 whole games!!!! Thats unpossible.

Not impossibile, nope.

BUT.....

It would actually need to be 4 games, wouldn't it? (if we lose sunday we'd be 11 points off) And even if they lost four games (and won the rest) United would have to win every single game to the end of the season to pip them by a point.

I don't think United will win every game to the end of the season, so any points dropped by United would also have to be dropped by City on top of losing 4 games.

City have dropped 2 points all season.

I'd give United a slim chance of winning the title right now, and no chance if we lose Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,641 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Yes they can but they have too much quality in there team. So have we but we wont go unbeaten and will probably lose another couple of games before season is over meaning city would need to lose 5/6 games.

Only chance we have of winning league is starting by beating them this sunday

Tbh they haven’t a great squad depth and 2/3 injuries to key players could leave them very vulnerable. Just look at their fringe players last night and they didn’t do much at all, a chance to stake a claim and they do **** all.

It’s the nature of the league, anything can happen.. I personally reckon they could run out of steam a bit over the Christmas and lose a few unexpectedly

astradave wrote: »
    Tbh they haven’t a great squad depth and 2/3 injuries to key players could leave them very vulnerable. Just look at their fringe players last night and they didn’t do much at all, a chance to stake a claim and they do **** all.

It’s the nature of the league, anything can happen.. I personally reckon they could run out of steam a bit over the Christmas and lose a few unexpectedly

They already lost mendy and stones and are still flying in the league.

Over the xmas period they have bournemouth, newcastle, palace, watford and burnley. Hard to see them losing any points there.

In regard there squad depth they are as good as us if not better. The city first team would struggle to beat shakhtar away. Difficult place to go and i hope we avoid them in champ league

Like i said earlier, i think if we dont beat them on sunday the league is over.

I don’t know, I think I would fancy a Bayern or Madrid. I think this team needs a big win to make a statement of intent similar to spurs beating Madrid in the Groups.

United beating City on Sunday and winning a tough last 16 would give the players a belief that grinding out results can’t. We have no reason to believe united can’t beat all the top teams but we have no evidence to see that the players and manager have absolute belief either. That said, given Jose has won the CL with Porto and inter Counts for a lot in balancing out squad limitations. I also like to think that the euro success last season helps the teams progress...

I would class Liverpool and Arsenal in a similar bracket of defencive naievity but devestatingly awesome at times. They are too erratic and can be beaten by themselves on any given day. As such, City and Chelsea (spurs up until recently) are the league teams I think we neee to Benchmark the quality of the team against the elite.

I think that Jose was always going to play it safe against City but losing Pogba has made it even more likely. It’s a shame because I can see it being huge domination for city and quick counter attacking by united. With Lindgaard playing so well, it gives United a chance but an early goal for city changes everything.

I am always curious how much confidence a team can get from playing 100% just to stop the opposition (ala Liverpool game), particularly The long term psychological impact of not beating a rival at home with this tactic. I also think it gives you smaller margins for error because it’s hard for a team to switch from sitting back and counter to attacking when chasing a game.

If they beat us it’ll be signed and sealed, no team is throwing away 11 points plus goal difference.

Nah

Newcastle United in 1996?
    I member

Nah

I member

Maybe city will buy Asprilla in January and screw up the team harmony!!!

Nah

I member

Me too. Newcastle were crap though compared to city and had kevin keegan as manager

Me too. Newcastle were crap though compared to city and had kevin keegan as manager

Yeh, Newcastle were closer to today’s Liverpool/Arsenal then city. Fantastic to watch. The Liverpool v Newcastle games those two seasons were hilarious and ridiculously dramatic...

God I miss those days.... the league seems so much more filtered and soulless...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,797 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

But without Pogba, haven't we lost the fulcrum for the fast counter-attack? When he was injured we certainly missed him and he was central to our game against Arsenal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

Drumpot wrote:
    God I miss those days.... the league seems so much more filtered and soulless...

Didn't we just have a helter-skelter throwback game v arsenal?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement