Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

United look to have kept the number 7 shirt for Griezmann for when he eventually signs.
    Probably next summer rather than January, though maybe if we are looking strong in the league in January and Atletico are doing badly, he could switch then but doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

astradave wrote: »
    It was apparently, as Vettel says above, Ashley Young..

Tbf, I'm hardly Sherlock Holmes :pac:

It said "senior player" (we only have 2 senior players in terms of age & longevity - only one of them Mourinho might be willing to let go), linked with a move away in last January (Mourinho addressed Young by name in a press conference in late January saying that he had options to leave).

It had to be Young. Seems to be confirmed by M.E.N now that that is who they were talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Rashford playing some great football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Lovely assist from Rashers for Kane's 2nd. Has looked lively in a poor England performance tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Psg been investigated over ffp due to summer spending............ I'm sure it will be all ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

jayo26 wrote: »
    Psg been investigated over ffp due to summer spending............ I'm sure it will be all ok.

Of course it will, it's amazing what a few brown paper bags full of cash does

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Did you all see Rashford play Right wing tonight for England? I think he is far better on the right than left. Please Jose give him a game on the right with Martial on the Left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

GSPfan wrote: »
    Did you all see Rashford play Right wing tonight for England? I think he is far better on the right than left. Please Jose give him a game on the right with Martial on the Left.

Stretch a game too as opposed to everybody cutting in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

I wouldnt be suprised if its Young. He's a 50/50 player for me.
    So many injuries but whens he's playing it's a 100% effort.

To be honest i just want to see the guy play some football, either with us or someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Lovely assist from Rashers for Kane's 2nd. Has looked lively in a poor England performance tbh.

Been taking tips off Pogba, nearly identical to Girouds goal a While back

Just to add, delighted we've not lost young, fellani or darmian if its to be reported. Last two guys should get plenty of games and vital for squad rotation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Pereira to Valencia done

Pereira to Valencia done

1 year loan with the option for him to return in Jan if he isn't happy with his playing opportunities apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Very disappointed pereira isn't being given a proper chance this season with us, and it's honestly taken the shine off the summer transfer window activity. I thought we needed a creative central midfielder added to the squad this summer, but was more than happy to see pereira being given that squad position.

With him being allowed to leave I feel we have significantly weakened our squad options, with no chance of improving them. A very irritating move by united. We should have been looking to get pereira ahead of Carrick and Fellaini through the season, maybe even a replacement for Herrera. But no, he is sent off on loan and we are down another squad player. And we saw how poor squad options took its toll at the end of last season.

De Gea

New rb Bailly Jones/Lindelof Shaw

Pereira Mensah Pogba

Rashford Lukaku Martial

4 years time potentially that could be a solid team. Ofc their would be changes but as a potential 11 :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Magnificent for Andreas. Playing regularly will only improve him even more. Thats the whole reason we sent him to Granada last year and we saw how improved he was this pre season. No point him stuck stagnating on the off chance we've an injury crisis. Let him keep improving. Best deal for club AND player :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Very disappointed pereira isn't being given a proper chance this season with us, and it's honestly taken the shine off the summer transfer window activity. I thought we needed a creative central midfielder added to the squad this summer, but was more than happy to see pereira being given that squad position.

With him being allowed to leave I feel we have significantly weakened our squad options, with no chance of improving them. A very irritating move by united. We should have been looking to get pereira ahead of Carrick and Fellaini through the season, maybe even a replacement for Herrera. But no, he is sent off on loan and we are down another squad player. And we saw how poor squad options took its toll at the end of last season.

He wanted to go on loan, so cant really blame him or the club. Not even going to.make the united bench. Good move for everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Honestly don't get the obsession with Pereira. Just another youth player who more than likely won't make it here.

3 years is a long time to be waiting for someone to make a breakthrough.

Didn't get to see the England game.. how did Jones do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭caviardreams

astradave wrote: »
    Didn't get to see the England game.. how did Jones do?

Didn't have a lot to do tbh, looked solid, but the main thing is, he did not get injured! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'm annoyed at Perreira. Every report was that Jose saw him getting games this season and didn't want him to go, so it won't go down well, I'd say, that he forced his way out on loan.

Jose is apparently set to PLAY in this Grenfell match thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Looks like Rooney has come full circle and the troubles he was having just before he joined United could be about to take up where they left off. Its kind of sad that some footballers cant deal with the changes in their lives. I am guessing that not having England duty contributed to him letting loose and hope for his sake this is a one off and not a Gazza type progressive issue.

I was listening to some interesting discussion about Rooney and his career. It seems that people either think he was a better player then he actually showed (and under performed) or people think he did exceptionally well with the natural talent he had available.

Some people use his International scoring record as a defence and say if he had better players around him it would of been much better. I would say Robbie Keane wouldn't of minded playing in that English team and he scored more for Ireland.

Some people say his goalscoring record is superb, but is it really ? His goal to games ratio is not exceptional but in all fairness, I think Rooneys contribution to a team was more then goals. So then there is the longevity at the top. . Many people would feel that his best years were pre 2012 and he is only 30 and is already taking a step down and retiring from International football.

If we look at the kind of performances he was putting I between 2004-2012, these represent the player at the peaks of his powers and the majority of his top performances. But most footballers would be having their greatest years in the latter 20s (between 2012-17 for Rooney) and that cannot be said of Rooney.

Its a shame IMO, because I think Rooney could of been spoken in the same terms as Ronaldo/Messi or at least would of left less room for questioning his legacy. Maybe his physic was always working against him (he needs to play every week). Maybe his rift with Ferguson took more of a toll then we know. Maybe the clubs overhaul and losing SAF affected his form, but top players always stick out even in not so good teams in not so good conditions. But it looks quite clear that the player who looked very comfortable playing against one of the greatest club teams of all (Barca CL final) was not the player United saw consistently over the last few years of his career at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Was about to write a big long diatribe against Wayne.
    But realised he's not our problem anymore.
    And I don't give a f##k.

Meanwhile, our strike force are off having a very productive international break.
    Hurrahs all round.

Was about to write a big long diatribe against Wayne.
    But realised he's not our problem anymore.
    And I don't give a f##k.

Meanwhile, our strike force are off having a very productive international break.
    Hurrahs all round.

This is part of the reason I don't post here much. Unless you are echoing the populist views of fans that involves whinging when things are bad or promoting positivity when things are going well, you are just insulted off the forum.

I wasn't putting Rooney down, I was pointing out that there is a lot of evidence to suggest he really peaked early and stopped progressing as a football around 2011. He left the club 4 months ago and was the captain for years and is now in the papers for the wrong reasons so I feel its relevant.

If you don't give a f**k, you can choose not to engage and posters can choose to ignore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I'm annoyed at Perreira. Every report was that Jose saw him getting games this season and didn't want him to go, so it won't go down well, I'd say, that he forced his way out on loan.

I hope it doesn't turn out like Januzaj. I get the impression pereira has his head screwed on a bit more and has more determination.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Drumpot wrote: »
    This is part of the reason I don't post here much. Unless you are echoing the populist views of fans that involves whinging when things are bad or promoting positivity when things are going well, you are just insulted off the forum.

I wasn't putting Rooney down, I was pointing out that there is a lot of evidence to suggest he really peaked early and stopped progressing as a football around 2011. He left the club 4 months ago and was the captain for years and is now in the papers for the wrong reasons so I feel its relevant.

If you don't give a f**k, you can choose not to engage and posters can choose to ignore.

Great post.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I hope it doesn't turn out like Januzaj. I get the impression pereira has his head screwed on a bit more and has more determination.
    The change of formation between pre-season and Premier League reduced his chances. It was a smart decision.

This exact Rooney conversation, re. his potential and eventual performance level, has been had a million times over hundreds of threads over the last 5 years, if not longer. Nothing new will be added to the conversation and from a United perspective it simply isn't relevant anymore.

Heck, there is a specific Rooney thread you can look to discuss Rooney in - cause the constant repetitive discussion but to much for the various United threads.

Also, if a posters opinion is that they don't care about Rooney anymore, can't be arsed engaging or seeing long reads going back and forth on this thread, and would prefer to discuss United players, or players relevant to the current united side, in this thread they are equally entitled to opin that here.

pjohnson wrote: »
    The change of formation between pre-season and Premier League reduced his chances. It was a smart decision.

Change of formation for 3 matches, which could indeed change again. Maybe Jose would always have looked at the three teams we played against and always planned on playing a more offensive side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Would United fans prefer to be owned by a Qatari family or the Glazers? As money isn't an issue for ye, I'd have to say I'd prefer to stay well clear of 'em.

No chance, imo, if there is any truth to it at all.

1. Possibly governance issues with them, basically, already owning PSG.

2. I don't see why they would spend that on United, to compete with themselves at a European level. Had they bought us previously who would they have bought neymar for? Bid against themselves?

3. Would think the glazes would be looking at near double that to sell united. I think the figure was bandied about years ago as a possible selling price - before they bought PSG iirc, which may have been done having failed to buy united.

Have seen whispers of some of the glazes looking to sell their stake though, with Chinese money being linked for it.

Lukker- wrote: »
    Would United fans prefer to be owned by a Qatari family or the Glazers? As money isn't an issue for ye, I'd have to say I'd prefer to stay well clear of 'em.

Well money would become even less of an issue - with Qatar backing I reckon we'd have bought neymar this summer. But yeah, their slave killing blood money would be very tough to justify on terms of continued support of United.

Tweet seems to be deleted but I presume its the Qatari's are looking to buy us?

I wonder if they'd like to invest their money into a club that actually has some history behind it? They've done well with PSG, but imagine if PSG weren't in a one team league and actually had some prestige behind them.

With their money, a club like United would probably sweep everything up for the rest of history. Could get Ronnie AND Messi in :P

EDIT: Plus they could probably spend PSG levels of money without worrying about FFP either.

Change of formation for 3 matches, which could indeed change again. Maybe Jose would always have looked at the three teams we played against and always planned on playing a more offensive side.

If Jose truly planned on changing formation again do you really think he'd have let Andreas go? He isn't a lowly coach. He has the final say you know?

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Tweet seems to be deleted but I presume its the Qatari's are looking to buy us?

I wonder if they'd like to invest their money into a club that actually has some history behind it? They've done well with PSG, but imagine if PSG weren't in a one team league and actually had some prestige behind them.

With their money, a club like United would probably sweep everything up for the rest of history. Could get Ronnie AND Messi in :P
    I wonder if it was a tweet related to the Qatar interest (rumored) years ago - have seen instances where you get accounts like that auto tweeting old stories - i presume some sort of bot failure.

If Jose truly planned on changing formation again do you really think he'd have let Andreas go? He isn't a lowly coach. He has the final say you know?

Seriously? You don't think a midfield three of Matic, Pogba and herrera/fellaini is something we will see relatively regularly this season? You don't think mourinho plans on using different formations depending on the game, the opposition, the location and fitness/form of players? You think 3 man midfield with an offensive number 10 is set in stone for the season?

Seriously? You don't think a midfield three of Matic, Pogba and herrera/fellaini is something we will see relatively regularly this season? You don't think mourinho plans on using different formations depending on the game, the opposition, the location and fitness/form of players? You think 3 man midfield with an offensive number 10 is set in stone for the season?

Yes we will see it probably. Do you really think Jose had no say in this deal? Like how you think he had no say in the transfers this window? I think you underestimate Jose as a shrinking mouse. Jose can say no if he wants. I doubt Andreas put a gun to his head.

• Advertisement

This exact Rooney conversation, re. his potential and eventual performance level, has been had a million times over hundreds of threads over the last 5 years, if not longer. Nothing new will be added to the conversation and from a United perspective it simply isn't relevant anymore.

Heck, there is a specific Rooney thread you can look to discuss Rooney in - cause the constant repetitive discussion but to much for the various United threads.

Also, if a posters opinion is that they don't care about Rooney anymore, can't be arsed engaging or seeing long reads going back and forth on this thread, and would prefer to discuss United players, or players relevant to the current united side, in this thread they are equally entitled to opin that here.

With all due respect Mitch, most football related discussions are repetitive conversations. And it isn't just this kind of topic that gets jumped on, its anything that isn't popular or within the populist echo chamber that fans want to be the narrative. I didn't tell a poster not to respond with "I don't give a f**k" , I said they are entitled to not respond if they don't care much about a topic.

On one level you have stated that you feel every fan is entitled to an opinion here. On the other, you spent most of your post saying my post isn't relevant or shouldn't be shared. You don't see the irony in that ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

In assuming José guaranteed Andreas a a certain amount of football based on his position in the pecking order within the squad and the amount of games we are likely to have this season.

Andreas clearly wasn't happy with the amount of time he'd be likely to get.

Seems like the best solution for both parties was for another season in Lá Liga with an option to come back in January.

José clearly doesn't see him ahead of certain other squad members at the moment.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    In assuming José guaranteed Andreas a a certain amount of football based on his position in the pecking order within the squad and the amount of games we are likely to have this season.

Andreas clearly wasn't happy with the amount of time he'd be likely to get.

Seems like the best solution for both parties was for another season in Lá Liga with an option to come back in January.

José clearly doesn't see him ahead of certain other squad members at the moment.

Exactly. Jose weighed up the pros and cons and decided a loan was best. If Andreas was refused but kept pushing I'd imagine it'd be a more permanent arrangement than a loan with no buy clause and instead a recall option.

Yes we will see it probably. Do you really think Jose had no say in this deal? Like how you think he had no say in the transfers this window? I think you underestimate Jose as a shrinking mouse. Jose can say no if he wants. I doubt Andreas put a gun to his head.
    When the Fcuk have I said he had no say in transfers?

Do you think Jose can't make wrong decisions? Is he infallible in your mind?

With all due respect Mitch, most football related discussions are repetitive conversations. And it isn't just this kind of topic that gets jumped on, its anything that isn't popular or within the populist echo chamber that fans want to be the narrative. I didn't tell a poster not to respond with "I don't give a f**k" , I said they are entitled to not respond if they don't care much about a topic.

On one level you have stated that you feel every fan is entitled to an opinion here. On the other, you spent most of your post saying my post isn't relevant or shouldn't be shared. You don't see the irony in that ?

No, you moaned about the person's post citing it as indicative of why you don't post much.

You are entitled to post what you want about Rooney, and people are entitled to say they are bored of the same Rooney discussion after 5 years - hence why a specific thread was set up for people to discuss it if they want to. Similar if you posted a massive missive on Liverpool I'd say go post it in the Liverpool thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Legends: #MUFC - van der Sar; Brown, Dublin, Johnsen; Park, Poborsky, Yorke, Silvestre; Blomqvist, Saha; van Nistelrooy.

Legends: Subs - van der Gouw, Goram, Goram, Irwin, Beardsmore, Djordjic, Thornley, Webber. The game against Barcelona is live on #MUTV. #LegendsAreBack

• Advertisement

Jose only makes the bench for the match on Sky 1. Jokes don't recognise his talent :mad:

Legends: #MUFC - van der Sar; Brown, Dublin, Johnsen; Park, Poborsky, Yorke, Silvestre; Blomqvist, Saha; van Nistelrooy.

Legends: Subs - van der Gouw, Goram, Goram, Irwin, Beardsmore, Djordjic, Thornley, Webber. The game against Barcelona is live on #MUTV. #LegendsAreBack

2 Andy Gorams?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Has to be said, if rooney as still a united player this would be plastered all over the papers and social media, so far only one or 2 news reports and a few bits on Facebook, this time last year at the hotel the media made it out like it was ww3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,923 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The point is he isn't a Manchester United player.

Jose just came on in the Sky match, as keeper!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement