Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

You're going to have to explain this one please.

What the hell does it even mean?

I think he means if you ignore the fact Marcus is English and the fact he came threw the clubs youth academy and the fact he is a man United fan and the fact he is already a first team regular and the fact he the manager loves him well then he looks like a player that would want to move :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

"I seen him looking lovingly at the Real Madrid crest when we played them in the supercup"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A busy month ahead.

Saturday 9th September PL: Stoke City 17:30 Manchester United
    Tuesday 12th September CL: Manchester United 19:45 Basel
    Sunday 17th September PL: Manchester United 16:00 Everton
    Wednesday 20th September LC: Manchester United 20:00 Burton Albion
    Saturday 23rd September PL: Southampton 15:00 Manchester United
    Wednesday 27th September CL: CSKA Moscow 19:45 Manchester United
    Saturday 30th September PL: Manchester United 15:00 Crystal Palace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

zerks wrote: »
    Rashford's game by numbers vs. Slovakia:

100% tackles won
    97% pass accuracy
    6 chances created
    5 shots
    1 assist
    1 goal
    1 ball given away in key area which resulted in the opposition scoring goal
    1 failure to track a player back after giving the ball away in key area which resulted in the opposition scoring goal

I'm all for stats but I find that they're often cherry picked to show the best parts of an individuals game.

No denying Rashford had a big impact on yesterdays game and it's great that a player so young can affect the game to that extent.

A busy month ahead.

Only a day late pal :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I wouldn't be bothered about him losing the ball there - he was surrounded and had few chances of keeping possession. He should have tracked his runner but walker going walk about from right back, leaving the massive space that was attacked, didn't help either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

S.M.B. wrote: »
    1 failure to track a player back after giving the ball away in key area which resulted in the opposition scoring goal

I'm all for stats but I find that they're often cherry picked to show the best parts of an individuals game.

No denying Rashford had a big impact on yesterdays game and it's great that a player so young can affect the game to that extent.

yeah, this is correct. He was 100% at fault for the goal alright, but, and this is a big but (and I cannot lie), he didn't drop the chin, didn't lose the head, brushed it off and went on to give an assist and then score the winning goal.

That shows character, grit and determination.

And for a man as young as Rashford, it's absolutely brilliant to see.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Only a day late pal :)

Yes but he only posted the tweet,not everyone here can get access to it.;) :)

Yes but he only posted the tweet,not everyone here can get access to it.;) :)

You don't make the rules :)

• Advertisement

Last season we only beat one of the teams we play this month in the league in the same fixtures.We drew against Stoke, Saints and Everton and beat Palace 2-0.
    This season I expect 4 wins although Everton could be the tricky one.

You don't make the rules :)

It's a gentleman's agreement from the feedback thread. We put the text from tweets in a post along with the tweet for the poor unfortunates who have Twitter blocked by Da Man.

It's common courtesy really

It's a gentleman's agreement from the feedback thread. We put the text from tweets in a post along with the tweet for the poor unfortunates who have Twitter blocked by Da Man.

Good job it wasn't my post then haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

He doesn't look like a one-club man to me

You're going to have to explain this one please.

What the hell does it even mean?

It's just a gut feeling based on what I perceive to be his character. He looks like the sort of person who is constantly challenging himself and hates standing still and I think he could have ambitions to play outside of England.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

beno619 wrote: »
    LVG didn't really have a choice, Rashford was literally the only fit forward he had available at the time.

Van Gaal had choice, he just took brave decision to play youngster rather than playing other players out of position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

A busy month ahead.

Are those games for this year Zerks?

I wouldn't be bothered about him losing the ball there - he was surrounded and had few chances of keeping possession. He should have tracked his runner but walker going walk about from right back, leaving the massive space that was attacked, didn't help either.

While I blamed him yesterday over the goal, watching the analysis last night afterwards, what the hell was walker doing, he was back in his position not offering any support whatsoever while Rashford had 3 players around him, then when Rashford lost the ball he pushed up and out of position leaving a huge gap.

paulbok wrote: »
    Are those games for this year Zerks?

If Cantona is fit we should win them all. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

S.M.B. wrote: »

Hold on wait, who scored Slovakia's second? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Billy86 wrote: »
    Hold on wait, who scored Slovakia's second? :confused:

He's referring to the same goal, as I think you well know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Caught a fair bit of our players over the int break. Some good performances from a fair few I saw. Fellaini solid as always for Belgium, Lukaku struggled a bit but then bagged his goal as he does. Blind was excellent in the game over the weekend. Thought Rashford was dog**** last night first half. Surprisingly unenthusiastic and I thought the commentary was blowing his "character" out of proportion. His head dropped, wasn't tracking back, all over the place on the right. Switch to the left and he was much better second half. Jones continuing his good form and was a rock all night, Gary Cahill though, wow how his stock rose to where it is I'll never know.

yeah, this is correct. He was 100% at fault for the goal alright, but, and this is a big but (and I cannot lie), he didn't drop the chin, didn't lose the head, brushed it off and went on to give an assist and then score the winning goal.

That shows character, grit and determination.

And for a man as young as Rashford, it's absolutely brilliant to see.

Think this is being blown out of proportion, mostly feeding from ITV commentators and pundits being incredibly bias.

Rashford was a mess first half, he wasn't tracking back, he was making poor runs, he was losing possession, and not in sync with Walker on bit.

Improved dramatically in the second half when he was switched back to the left and was very much involved in a good final third display from England.

But I'd love to know what Southgate said to him at half time, cause I was expecting him to get hooked he was that rubbish. So credit to the manager there persisting with him and probably giving him good words of encouragement.

Thanks Doc, but I'm well capable of coming up with my own opinions, thanks very much.

I don't even have ITV, so there's no need to be so bleedin condescending there pal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

TheDoc wrote: »
    Think this is being blown out of proportion, mostly feeding from ITV commentators and pundits being incredibly bias.

Rashford was a mess first half, he wasn't tracking back, he was making poor runs, he was losing possession, and not in sync with Walker on bit.

Improved dramatically in the second half when he was switched back to the left and was very much involved in a good final third display from England.

But I'd love to know what Southgate said to him at half time, cause I was expecting him to get hooked he was that rubbish. So credit to the manager there persisting with him and probably giving him good words of encouragement.

Considering rashford is a striker playing on the wing at international level i thought he was excellent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

TheDoc wrote: »

He switched to the left well before half time and it had an instant impact. Had nothing to do with Southgates half time talk. I'm not quite sure what Southgate was doing playing him from the right to begin with.

Thanks Doc, but I'm well capable of coming up with my own opinions, thanks very much.

I don't even have ITV, so there's no need to be so bleedin condescending there pal.

It's hardly being condescending.

It was the overwhelming theme on the programme along with the general narrative after the fact, along with many of the headline prints (which are done later in the evening/night when match reports are submitted)

Thought Southgate nailed it with his comments that he is clearly an incredible player but with a long way to go, with journalists there latching onto theme.

I think it's just disingenuous reporting considering how utterly dreadful he was first half.

Anywho, glad he got his goal and assist so he didn't turn into a scapegoat and get destroyed by the public ala Sterling. Didn't need that coming back to us with him being in such good form before going away

bangkok wrote: »
    Considering rashford is a striker playing on the wing at international level i thought he was excellent

Getting to the point whereby his appearances as striker are dwarved by his appearances as a winger.

While he might, or others might think, his best position is a striker, he is very much a winger for now, and likely will be for a few years as he isn't taking that spot from Kane for England or Lukaku for us.

Think it discredits his ability giving him a pass and treating him likes hes being played out of position. Wide/inside forward is now his position.

Do you know what I like about that its 1-1 and he takes on a shot when he has a good chance. It shows the confidence he has in his abilities. Could easily have taken the easy option and laid it off but went for it.

I agree with Doc about Rashford he was poor for first 30 odd minutes or so but the reason why he was getting so much praise is because he was the one that turned the game for them when he settled on the left.

It's not the players fault the press build them up he is only a kid in football terms and as he developed he will get.more consistency in his game but at the moment he is inclined to drift in and out of games.

It's not a total bad thing even Rooney in his prime used to have really poor games and turn up and score a couple of goals or assists to win it.

The overall performance is what I'd prefer to look at every player makes mistakes it's how he bounced back from it that impressed me he will take a lot of confidence from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Do you know what I like about that its 1-1 and he takes on a shot when he has a good chance.

On a related note, if there was one thing that marked that England performance it was utterly rubbish shot selection. Lads taking potshots from stupid positions and wasting good possession, some of them were just brainless.

Anyone got a clip of the flashford goal??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

With Diego simeone signing a new 2 year deal could that change griezmans mind,

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Anyone got a clip of the flashford goal??

I'm not falling into that trap, Zerks posted it already :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Hococop wrote: »
    With Diego simeone signing a new 2 year deal could that change griezmans mind,

Bet ya a tenner it would have no bearing on his mind

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Bet ya a tenner it would have no bearing on his mind

Yah he seems to want to move to win trophies I don't see him winning league or Europe with athletic in a hurry and if he joined United he would move us a massive step towards doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I'm just delighted Phil Jones is continuing his good form and staying fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Yah he seems to want to move to win trophies I don't see him winning league or Europe with athletic in a hurry and if he joined United he would move us a massive step towards doing that.

Massive step, really?

I'd say they have similar prospects to United domestically, and have serious European pedigree, runners up twice in the last 4 years in the CL.

United may fancy themselves to win the league, but that's still all potential. Atletico have been far more competitive than United have been in the last few years.

astradave wrote: »
    I'm not falling into that trap, Zerks posted it already :D

Lol was serious, il check back...too lazy drinking in the sun ATM :)

Lukker- wrote: »
    Massive step, really?

I'd say they have similar prospects to United domestically, and have serious European pedigree, runners up twice in the last 4 years in the CL.

United may fancy themselves to win the league, but that's still all potential. Atletico have been far more competitive than United have been in the last few years.

If course he would I do agree that they have been more competitive but they have also reached a limit too.

They are not going to win the league against Madrid no way and even tho they finished runners up in champs league I don't think they were ever in a position that they would be able beat Madrid to win it last time.

Most of the time Class teams don't mess up big finals and right now Madrid have built an unbelievable team that will prob easily win the double again this year while athletic will have some serious rebuilding work to do after not been able sign players.

• Advertisement

If course he would I do agree that they have been more competitive but they have also reached a limit too.

They are not going to win the league against Madrid no way and even tho they finished runners up in champs league I don't think they were ever in a position that they would be able beat Madrid to win it last time.

Most of the time Class teams don't mess up big finals and right now Madrid have built an unbelievable team that will prob easily win the double again this year while athletic will have some serious rebuilding work to do after not been able sign players.

Love AM as a club. Think they are a class outfit but would agree with this assessment.
    Greizmann move to Utd is inevitable IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

eh? Hoddle was singing their praises (Spurs players.)

Blowing off vs blowing up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Lol was serious, il check back...too lazy drinking in the sun ATM :)

Oh look at me.. i'm drinking on a sun holiday... i expected more of ye!!!!
    Hope its a good one though mate ;)

brinty wrote: »
    Oh look at me.. i'm drinking on a sun holiday... i expected more of ye!!!!
    Hope its a good one though mate ;)

Brinty i played golf the weekend and drank all day Sunday look at me.

Brinty i played golf the weekend and drank all day Sunday look at me.

You're a lost cause....

My thoughts of Jayo playing "Golf...."

golf.jpg

Anyways on to footballing matters
    Ireland game tonight and getting busy close to Landsdowne road already..
    I miss the days when there were United players playing for the national team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,168 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

brinty wrote: »
    You're a lost cause....

My thoughts of Jayo playing "Golf...."

golf.jpg

Which one is Jayop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,168 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Also just noticed Kieran O'Hara is Irelands U21 Goalkeeper. Didnt know he declared for Ireland!

pjohnson wrote: »
    Which one is Jayop?

I'm defo somewhere in the background frowning at them for not displaying proper Golf Etiquette:D

• Advertisement

Rashford goal for Mick...

https://streamable.com/ungw5

More angles...

https://streamable.com/rfx09

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement