Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Jaysus Brady nearly killed Matic, me bleedin heart :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

astradave wrote: »
    Jaysus Brady nearly killed Matic, me bleedin heart :pac:

My biggest fear, mclean to do damage to him :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,168 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Well at least we can forget about other threads now and be peaceful here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

John Motson leaving the BBC at the end of this season.End of an era on the beeb.

zerks wrote: »
    John Motson leaving the BBC at the end of this season.End of an era on the beeb.

Great commentator but I always preferred the late Brian Moore on ITV!

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41159991

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

From todays Times:

On an antique sofa at the top of a sweeping staircase at Carlton House Terrace, in London’s most aristocratic neighbourhood, José Mourinho looks almost as regal as his surroundings. Manchester United are the early frontrunners in the Premier League and all, for once, appears calm in his kingdom. Too calm, he suggests with a devilish smile. “I don’t like the sea to be flat,” he says, and moments later he repeats it for good measure.

Mourinho feels there can be such a thing as too much tranquillity. “I like to put pressure on myself,” he says, “I like to take the watch and put it forward. At the moment it’s 2.30pm. If I have to be some place at 3pm, I tell myself it’s ten to three. In my job, too, I have done that. I accelerate the timings. I always think that a little bit of pressure is good. I don’t like the sea to be flat. I don’t like, for example, like now, for people to be speaking about my team the way they are speaking. I think it’s very premature. I don’t like it. I prefer the other way around. Put a little bit of pressure on it. Timings are a good way to put pressure on myself.”

You can be at a club 10 or 20 years and when you leave that club, it’s ready for failure
    Mourinho on longevity
    There is a reason for these references to horology. Mourinho has agreed to this rare interview in part to promote his long-term commercial relationship with the watchmakers Hublot, who have chosen this suitably opulent venue for their latest photoshoot.

Indeed, so much of the Mourinho story feels like a race against time. So much talk in football these days is about long-term philosophies, about five-year plans, yet Mourinho’s approach, perhaps more than anyone else’s, revolves around the 90 minutes, each game a building brick in his season’s work, each season no less than a race to win as many trophies as possible.

Mourinho has long been characterised as short-termist. He gets results, he wins trophies — at Porto, at Chelsea, at Inter Milan, at Real Madrid, at Chelsea (again) and now at United — and he moves on. Sometimes (at Porto, at Inter) he has left on incredible highs. At other times, most starkly when a league title success at Chelsea was followed by an alarming nosedive the next autumn, he has left amid acrimony and turmoil. His suggestions of following in Sir Alex Ferguson’s footsteps, staying longer at United than at any of his previous clubs, have been met with scepticism — unfairly, he believes.

“If people say that because I win and leave, I have to accept that because in a certain period of my career I did that,” he says. “When I win the Champions League, at Porto, at Inter, I disappear. I left Real Madrid when the club wanted me to stay. The only place I was sacked was Chelsea, but always after winning the title. “If people say that because I move from club to club, they’re right, but I don’t think I am [short-termist]. I prepare clubs for success. I think I prepare clubs in a way where, when I leave, the new manager arrives at a top club. And that is not short-term even if you leave. If you’re in a club one or two years — or any job — if you leave a structure to be even more successful without you than with you, that’s not short-term. That’s long-term. That’s long-term.”

Mourinho believes Lukaku would have been significantly more expensive if he had signed later in the transfer window
    Mourinho believes Lukaku would have been significantly more expensive if he had signed later in the transfer window

Is he talking about Real Madrid, who have won three Champions League trophies in four seasons since his departure? “I am, I am,” he says, “as an example. Short-term can be the guy that is at one club 20 years or 15 years or ten years and leaves the club in conditions for . . .”

He breaks off. “What is the opposite of success?” he asks. Failure. “Right, failure,” he says, uttering the word as if it leaves a sour taste on his lips. “One who leaves the club in conditions for failure. That is a short-term manager. You can be there ten or 20 years and when you leave the club, it’s ready for failure.”

This is an intriguing one. Is he talking about Arsène Wenger, whose legacy to his eventual successor at Arsenal looks less promising with every year that he stays, or even about Ferguson, whose glorious 26-year tenure at Old Trafford has been followed by four seasons of struggle? The latter seems highly unlikely; Mourinho’s biggest gripe, upon taking charge in 2016, was about decisions taken in the three years since Ferguson’s retirement, rather than the three years before.

Mourinho’s first season in charge of United was a gruelling one. They won the EFL Cup and the Europa League but finished a lowly sixth in the Premier League, scoring just 54 goals in 38 matches. The new campaign has started far more auspiciously — three wins out of three, ten goals scored and none conceded. Nemanja Matic has brought assurance to midfield, helping Paul Pogba to flourish. Romelu Lukaku has hit the ground running. Others, too, are showing signs of adjusting to Mourinho’s stringent demands.

Which of the last three champions played the most offensive football? Be honest, it was mine
    Mourinho on style of play
    There has even been speculative talk of an extension to the three-year contract that began at the start of last season. “I don’t think about it,” he says. “I don’t need a new contract to work to my limits. I don’t have a problem to arrive at the end of my contract and be free to decide what I want to do and the club free to decide what they want to do.

“In the past I always wanted to coach in different places. When I came to Chelsea in 2004 I never thought to stay for 20 years. Never. When I went to Italy I always had in mind I had to go to Spain. If in this moment now you ask me can I go to France or to Germany, I say, ‘Why not? Why not?’ But I’m in a different moment in my career now. I always had Spain and Italy [as places where he hoped to manage], but England is my passion and at this moment I can say I would like to stay many years.

“It’s about having the most challenging project that I can have. In this moment the United one is great because the club was and is living a new period — the post-Sir Alex period. Sir Alex, then David [Moyes], then Mr [Louis] Van Gaal and now me. Trying to find again success is a challenging period for the club and something that I’m enjoying.”

He is pleased by United’s work in the transfer market. Ideally he would like to have signed Gareth Bale or Ivan Perisic, an experienced player who could add speed and penetration from the wings, but he has more reason than several of his peers to reflect on the summer transfer window with satisfaction.

Mourinho’s first season in charge of United was a gruelling one, but the new campaign has started far more auspiciously
    Mourinho’s first season in charge of United was a gruelling one, but the new campaign has started far more auspiciously

“I think we were very clever,” Mourinho says. “We thought that something could happen that could change the market forever. Normally the last part of the market is less expensive, but this season, after Neymar
    , everything changed — and changed for the worse in terms of prices. I think Lukaku on August 31 would have been £150 million. Matic would have been £60 million or £70 million. Neymar changed everything. If the biggest transfer in history had still been Pogba, I think Philippe Coutinho [the Liverpool playmaker] would now be in Barcelona at £101 million.

“People look to the £200 million figure now. Now the players of £20 million became £40 million, the players of £40 million became £60 million and everything changed. Lukaku and Matic, now, would have cost us £200 million in total. But because we did it in the first part of the summer, it was much less. I think we did well in financial terms and well in preparation terms, getting them before the season started. That is not crucial but it is important.”

United made a similarly vibrant start to last season, winning their first three Premier League matches, only for talk of a title challenge to fizzle out over the course of an arduous autumn. They look more durable now, more like a Mourinho team. They also look more like a United team. There is a distinction between those two things, a balance to be found. Mourinho knows United’s history. He knows the demand is not just to win but to do so with style.

He is reminded of something that he said in the aftermath of the Europa League triumph over Ajax, responding to questions about United’s prosaic performance by declaring that “there are lots of poets in football, but poets don’t win titles”. At a club of United’s proud traditions, is there not a demand to win in style? “For me, what is important is both together,” he says. “To play very well and win, that is perfection. But, if you cannot have that perfection, you cannot hide [behind] ‘my game is beautiful’ and win nothing. You have to go to win — and to win with the qualities that you have. That is what I meant by that.

“If you compare Manchester United last season and this season, in terms of the quality of our play, you can see immediately that this is what we want. But last season we couldn’t. And when you can’t, you have to play with the qualities of your team, the qualities of your players, and try to beat your opponents.

I always think a little bit of pressure is good. I don’t like the sea to be flat
    Mourinho on the need to win
    “In that final we were playing an Ajax team that couldn’t cope with some of our qualities, so let’s go with these qualities. That is the pragmatism of football. If a manager defends a doctrine of ‘I win and I play amazingly well’, I applaud. But the ones who don’t win, who defend something that I don’t understand? I don’t get it.”

Is this a reference to Pep Guardiola, to Jürgen Klopp, to Mauricio Pochettino, all of whom earned and accepted praise last season for some admirable football that did not stop them finishing empty-handed at Manchester City, Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur respectively? Mourinho does not say. “For me, let’s be honest and objective. The last three Premier League champions — Chelsea with Mourinho, Leicester with [Claudio] Ranieri, Chelsea with [Antonio] Conte — which of these teams was the most offensive one?” he asks. “Which played more quality football? It was mine. But nobody says.”

Does this bother you? “I don’t think about it,” he says rather unconvincingly. “The credit I want is my relationship with the players, with the supporters of the club I defend. This is what I really want. The rest, I don’t care.”

Full steam ahead for a Premier League title challenge then, relishing the choppier waters to come? “We’re going to fight against very good teams, but we’re going to try,” he says. “I have said three [summer] transfer windows is what I need to have the team I want to have, the team I think can bring Manchester United to the top of English football and to close the gap to the top of European football again, and I still think we need that third transfer window, but I’m not going to wait for the third transfer window to try to reach it. Again, I like to accelerate. I don’t like to sleep on a slow watch, a slow timing, and let it go. I like to chase. I don’t like to wait.”

Rashford goal for Mick...

https://streamable.com/ungw5

More angles...

https://streamable.com/rfx09

Great strike, more of that type of finishing please Rashford!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Apparently today marks 10,000 days since Liverpool last won the league.

A nice stat/fact.

Ed Woodward has been appointed onto UEFA's Professional Football Strategy Council, following changes to the committee and leadership of the European Club Association.

The position sees Mr Woodward placed as one of four senior executives in the role, who will advise and assist in the structure of European football's governing body, while he continues with his daily duties and position at Manchester United.

The United chief is the only executive in English football to hold the role and is joined by representatives from Barcelona, Paris Saint-Germain and Celtic to form the newly appointed advisory board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Ed Woodward has been appointed onto UEFA's Professional Football Strategy Council, following changes to the committee and leadership of the European Club Association.

The position sees Mr Woodward placed as one of four senior executives in the role, who will advise and assist in the structure of European football's governing body, while he continues with his daily duties and position at Manchester United.

The United chief is the only executive in English football to hold the role and is joined by representatives from Barcelona, Paris Saint-Germain and Celtic to form the newly appointed advisory board.

Look forward to loads of favourable draws and fixture lists and leniency with financial fair play guys woop intact every trophy we shall win while he is in that role will be because he has a role in UEFA.

Go on Edd ya good thing ya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

That UEFA thing seems to be the kind of job were employing people without a vested interest in it would be a smart decision.

Nice to see UEFA go in the complete opposite direction :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Imagine the awkward silences in meetings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

J. Marston wrote: »

A nice stat/fact.

Yeah 10,000 days
    https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/to?iso=19900421T00&p0=301&msg=Last+time+Liverpool+won+the+League

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

J. Marston wrote: »

A nice stat/fact.

Hopefully they'll go another 10,000 days before that changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

MANCHESTER UNITED have continued to strengthen their scouting network by snapping up Piotr Sadowski from Lech Poznan.

United boss Jose Mourinho has been working hard to improve the player recruitment department at Old Trafford ever since he took charge of the club.

And he has persuaded Sadowski to quit his role as Academy Operations Director at Poznan to work on developing United’s operations in Eastern Europe.

The Pole has been named the club’s Central Eastern European Scout, with the aim of increasing the Premier League club’s coverage across the continent.

Sadowski confirmed his move in a post on Twitter which said: “A new chapter. It’s time to begin. #ManUtd #RedDevils @ManUtd @AcademyManUtd”;.

And Poznan were quick to release a statement on their official website where they paid tribute to the work he did in improving their own academy.

It read: “Thanks to Peter for over two years of co-operation. This was a period of important change in the academy which had a good effect and was successful.

“We wish him continued success and we are delighted that the experience he has gathered in Poznan has proved to be of great value to such a recognised brand in the football world as Manchester United.

Mourinho believes there is room for improvement at Old Trafford in the way they monitor young talent outside of the major footballing leagues.

He made a major change over the summer when he persuaded highly-respected Juventus chief-scout Javier Ribalta to move to United.

Ribalta is one of the men credited for turning Juve into the dominant force in Italian football having advised them to sign Paul Pogba, Dani Alves, Sami Khedira and Alvaro Morata.

And Mourinho moved swiftly to tempt him to Old Trafford in June, handing him responsibility for heading up the entire scouting operation at United.”

Wow Ribalta must know his s**te, he spotted Pogba,Alves,Khedira and Morata :eek:

Delboy5 wrote: »
    From todays Times:

“It’s about having the most challenging project that I can have.

Really? Surely the challenge would be tougher by NOT having all the money you want. If he really wanted a challenge he should go to Newcastle.

I great admire the man, but this talk is merda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I can imagine the reaction to the woodie appointment on blue moon. Ragspiracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

So childish.

Childish maybe but that's the banter and the inner child in me chuckles everytime I see this.

• Advertisement

Childish but funny ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭BenK

So childish.

Ah lighten up, it's all in good fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Off to the Stoke game this weekend. 2 away games in a row I won't know myself. Can't wait was great last 2 times I was there. Should be good buzz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

So childish.

A wise man told me once

"You shouldn't take life so seriously........... you'll never get out alive"

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Wow Ribalta must know his s**te, he spotted Pogba,Alves,Khedira and Morata :eek:

Think you picked it up wrong, he just advised juve to sign them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

A wise man told me once

stringer-bell.jpg?w=650&quality=100&h=402

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

So childish.

Its brilliant!!! :)

"This does not fuc*ing slip now"

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Slippy g

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

A wise man told me once

Van the man was pretty wise!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Well they got such a hard on when Man City won the league in 2012, it was just nice to return the favour lads. Chill the beans

• Advertisement

That's not childish at all. It's fecking hilarious.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

It really is just too perfect though. Like you wouldn't get a WWE plotline that perfect. He publicly has his "Stevie Me" moment in front of the cameras stating, figuratively, that they "don't let this f**king slip" only for him to go on and literally slip at a key point allowing Chelsea to score, and kill their title hopes.

Julez wrote: »
    It really is just too perfect though. Like you wouldn't get a WWE plotline that perfect. He publicly has his "Stevie Me" moment in front of the cameras stating, figuratively, that they "don't let this f**king slip" only for him to go on and literally slip at a key point allowing Chelsea to score, and kill their title hopes.

Myself and Phil had some lol session that day

Julez wrote: »

:pac::pac::pac:

Ah it really was just poetry in motion. I have never enjoyed a league campaign that we didn't win apart from that one just for the lasting hilarity of it all. Honourable mention goes for 1989 but tbh I don't actually remember that at all from when it happened, more from reading that book and the subsequent film.

M!Ck^ wrote: »

I'd nearly go and dig out the matchday thread here again for a wee read. Cheer myself up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Myself Scarlett, Hayley, Anna, Rachel, Jennifer et all had an even better day
    I certainly slipped a few times that day...
    but had a much better time of it than oul Stevie me

They Dared to dream guys :):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Unearthly wrote: »

:pac:

I laughed at this more than the videos and images

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

bangkok wrote: »
    Its brilliant!!! :)

"This does not fuc*ing slip now"

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Slippy g

Quality comedy is all in the timing ;)

• Advertisement

I think Sky Premier league are showing the miracle of Crystanbul game shortly.

We may stop these japes and merriment or we'll be accused of obsession.

I'll never ever ever forget this goal ha loved it

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYvCjvMFnS3/

His celebrations only eclipsed by Ander Herrera

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

So Stoke away on Saturday will be a tough fixture, difficult place to visit.

I assume all our internationals are coming back unscathed?

Be nice to have a full squad to pick from barring the long term injuries.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Shaw getting at least half an hour.

I would expect United to blow Stoke away. I'm going to say 3-0.

Arnautović is banned too, isn't he? I think Jesé is injured for them too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭stevveyg

arnautovic now of West ham?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,168 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

stevveyg wrote: »
    arnautovic now of West ham?!

Well hes right I guess Arnautovic is certainly banned from playing for Stoke again.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Well hes right I guess Arnautovic is certainly banned from playing for Stoke again.

Glad someone has my back :pac:

MagicIRL wrote: »

Don't think Jesé is injured either.. where the fook do you get your information from :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

MagicIRL wrote: »

Could be a tough game though, Pulis playing his normal six centre backs. Need to be on our toes with the Delap long throws too

:rolleyes:

TheDoc wrote: »
    Could be a tough game though, Pulis playing his normal six centre backs. Need to be on our toes with the Delap long throws too

:rolleyes:

Listen here Zlatan, enough of your **** ya hear :cool::D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement