Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    To what extent? Not that different IMO and both looked to have been converted from wingers to wing backs.

1: Fitness- Yes I would say Tony V over Young.
    2: Workrate? Argument to be made for both.
    3: Final Delivery? I'd Argue Young is better.
    4: Pace / technical / dribble? Argument to be made for both.
    5: Shooting ability: I'd argue Young.

You left out a pretty important point for someone playing right back... Defending. Valencia has come on a lot in that regard and I'd trust him against the bigger sides for sure over Young. In saying that I am a fan of young too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Shame that Young is looking to leave us in January. Keeping guys like him satisfied as a squad player would be a massive win but not something that's easy to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

To what extent? Not that different IMO and both looked to have been converted from wingers to wing backs.

1: Fitness- Yes I would say Tony V over Young.
    2: Workrate? Argument to be made for both.
    3: Final Delivery? I'd Argue Young is better.
    4: Pace / technical / dribble? Argument to be made for both.
    5: Shooting ability: I'd argue Young.

Valencia is better in every department than young only for his crossing. Young still is one of the best crossers at the club.

Also on young, a lot of utd fans were not happy last night that young was the captain after pogba went off. I actually hadnt noticed it myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Seems to have been a lot of conflicting views on how Mhiki did last night as I was reading Twitter during the match.

I thought he was fantastic. Few loose passes, sure, but his drive and energy through the middle is incredible and the positions he takes up are brilliant. Thought he was brilliant, should have had two goals as well. Interestingly the BT commentators were raving about Martial saying how it was a great performance, I thought he was pretty brutal, and was missing for most of his time on the pitch and he totally failed to capitalise on his chance. Always fascinating how we all watch the same thing and take different things away.

Didn't expect Basel to be so shocking, there are so many whipping teams in the CL now, they were absolutely atrocious. Fellaini was excellent when he came on, so much drive and energy in the game, that sprint in the final portion of the match recovering from a sloppy Matic pass.

The Pogba injury is obviously a big blow. Fixtures coming up though look handy enough where Ander should slot in there fine and the team should be fine.

Julez wrote: »
    You left out a pretty important point for someone playing right back... Defending. Valencia has come on a lot in that regard and I'd trust him against the bigger sides for sure over Young. In saying that I am a fan of young too.

I had implied it by stating wing-backs, in error I didn't explicitly call it out.
    But yes I would agree Tony V is a better defender.
    But making the point that he's not a "much better player" as bangkok seems to think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Shame that Young is looking to leave us in January. Keeping guys like him satisfied as a squad player would be a massive win but not something that's easy to do.

Was it confirmed to be Young that was looking for a move? Hes been looking since last January supposedly. I reckon it was Smalling tbh. Young is certainly easier to please given he can play anywhere on either flank.

Also Young made captain over Smalling seemed to indicate to me that Ashley is quite happy.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Young was quite underrated here given all the clamour for a FB. Offensively Young is better than Valencia but I'd give Valencia the edge defensively for sure.

Or he is appropriately rated, in some peoples eyes.

I wouldn't get carried away, this was a shocking team with no attacking intent what so ever. They could barely string a counter attack together. Young was basically playing in his career right wing role bar a few instances for the majority of last night.

While his cross was lovely and brilliant, I was proper howling at the replay with what I wouldn't even call a feint and the two Basel players taking a jump to their right. It was pathetic.

Think he should want to move in January and should be encouraged to move. He's on some stinkingly high wages for a player who has generally underwhelmed bar a few hot streaks here and there. Valencia and Darmian are both superior RB's and two first team RB's is more then enough for what we will be challenging for.

TheDoc wrote: »

I wouldn't get carried away, this was a shocking team with no attacking intent what so ever. They could barely string a counter attack together. Young was basically playing in his career right wing role bar a few instances for the majority of last night.

While his cross was lovely and brilliant, I was proper howling at the replay with what I wouldn't even call a feint and the two Basel players taking a jump to their right. It was pathetic.

Think he should want to move in January and should be encouraged to move. He's on some stinkingly high wages for a player who has generally underwhelmed bar a few hot streaks here and there. Valencia and Darmian are both superior RB's and two first team RB's is more then enough for what we will be challenging for.
    Moving him on without replacing him is not a good option.
    Who would he be replaced with that's available in January?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Two instances last night mhiki failed to spot early passes out wide to martial, first one ended with him miscontrolling and defender winning the ball but ref gave a free kick and a yellow for a good tackle, second one he ran into two defenders got dispossessed. Minor things but needs to spot these and move the ball along asap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

No way would I want young to move in January. He can play 4 positions to a decent level and that kind of cover is worth whatever he's getting paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Looks like Pogba will be out for a while,he might be back in time for Liverpool.

zerks wrote: »
    Looks like Pogba will be out for a while,he might be back in time for Liverpool.

Jose speak?

Except Young is also a LB, RWB, LWB, LW and RW. That versatility simply cannot be ignored he plays all positions to an equal standard. If Darmian gets injured and we have sold Young we dont have anyone who can provide cover to both full backs at once. Similar if we were to loose Lingard. He brings valuble depth to the squad. And considering you'd probably need two players to replace him it would cost us MORE to replace him.

If he left in jan, i would bring back fosu mensah straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Jayop wrote: »
    No way would I want young to move in January. He can play 4 positions to a decent level and that kind of cover is worth whatever he's getting paid.
    Been saying it for years. He's criminally underrated with most United supporters.

• Advertisement

Been saying it for years. He's criminally underrated with most United supporters.

I think it clicked with me about 3 years back. If you told me in his first few seasons that I'd be a big fan and that Young would be a pretty tough full back I'd have fell over laughing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Young is a fantastic squad player - as long as he wants to be at United and is happy with his backup role, he is welcome to stay imo. Wouldn't consider selling him unless he was actively looking to move for more game time.

What exactly are we replacing?

a 30+ year old who is multi versatile, but has barely featured in a first XI on a consistent basis before he plays poison or gets injured.

For right back, we have Valencia and Darmian.
    For RW we have Mata, Lingaard and Jose likes moving Mhiki out there.

Just find him totally surplus to requirements in a purely footballing sense. Seems to be some "thing" that Jose trusts him or something, but I don't think he is any loss if he left, definitely not to the first XI but not to the squad either.

But if he wants to leave I wouldn't be sweating over him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Under lvg it looks like a switch was flipped with young o maybe just age. He has shown his worth and wage since then.

• Advertisement

a 30+ year old who is multi versatile, but has barely featured in a first XI on a consistent basis before he plays poison or gets injured.

For right back, we have Valencia and Darmian.
    For RW we have Mata, Lingaard and Jose likes moving Mhiki out there.

Just find him totally surplus to requirements in a purely footballing sense. Seems to be some "thing" that Jose trusts him or something, but I don't think he is any loss if he left, definitely not to the first XI but not to the squad either.

But if he wants to leave I wouldn't be sweating over him.

I can't agree with that for the simple fact he was arguably the best player on the pitch last night.
    Weak team or not, it was the CL group stages in a very important first match.
    If he can provide adequate cover in multiple positions and allow other players to be rested then I see no reason to move him on.
    Healthy squad rotation has to happen if we want to win anything serious this year.

Also really hope Lindeloff settles in terms of the pace of the league, the physicality and the reading of the games. He looks awfully slick on the ball and composed.

Some of the passes and long balls he played last night were excellent. Want my defenders to defend first and foremost, but he has something in his locker that we've only had when Blind was playing at CB. Fingers crossed his settling in period will go well and he can force his way into the team. In my head, Bailly and Lindeloff are our first team CB's at some point later in this season.

I can't agree with that for the simple fact he was arguably the best player on the pitch last night.
    Weak team or not, it was the CL group stages in a very important first match.
    If he can provide adequate cover in multiple positions and allow other players to be rested then I see no reason to move him on.
    Healthy squad rotation has to happen if we want to win anything serious this year.

Young is one of those that I'll probably be seen to hold a controversial opinion. Think he has been at the club way longer then he should, a signing that has never impressed me bar some streaky patches where sure he has stepped up, but I'm just saying ,he wants to leave for first team football which was the indication during the summer and likely will be again in January, and I wouldn't be sweating it.

There is more then adequate cover in the squad considering he is 3rd choice in most of these positions we talk about him covering, and the squad spot would be better served by a youth prospect being integrated into the team as opposed to a 30+ year old that has been typically brutal in terms of reliability (with his injuries, wouldn't question his commitment)

Granted does seem to be a clever player, two managers now who are very tactical and disciplined have really rated him and probably being fuming he hasn't been available more often.

Such an afterthought player for me, literally forget at times he is at the club

On another point;

6 in 6 for Lukaku, he's easily going to hit 30+ plus this season.

Love how he stays in the box as well as making those runs in behind. Doesn't overwork or try and do a Rooney and drop deep.
    He clearly understands the role he has, such a huge step in his career which he has taken with ease.

Doubters are quite now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

On another point;

Love how he stays in the box as well as making those runs in behind. Doesn't overwork or try and do a Rooney and drop deep.
    He clearly understands the role he has, such a huge step in his career which he has taken with ease.

Doubters are quite now.

He worked very hard off the ball last night, and his tackling and closing down of players was a very welcome sight. He also held the ball up and passed very well, something many of the doubters had said he couldnt do at a top level.

Delighted with him so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

On another point;

Doubters are quite now.

DdmkgRx.gif

a 30+ year old who is multi versatile, but has barely featured in a first XI on a consistent basis
    Yes, but this is something that adds value to the squad so when you take it away you lose something.

What if Valencia picked up a bad injury at the weekend? Jose doesn't seem to be overly enamoured with Darmian so I can't see him being too happy having him as first choice for a substantial amount of time.

What if Jose wants to play 3 at the back again (and signs point to that he'd like to) so he's looking for players who could fit right into that system?

Regardless of whether he's used once, 10 time or 20+ times a season he still is adding a value and he would need to be either replaced with a) someone new or b) a youngster who can fill the void.

On another point;

Doubters are quite now.

He still needs to work on his movement when we have the ball. Can be a bit static at times but he is at the best place to learn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

I'm really appreciating Young in recent years, he was excellent last night. Wouldn't mind seeing him start on the right wing in front of Valencia however unlikely that is. I feel he can be more direct and more likely to deliver a decent end product than Lingard, Mata and even Rashford at times. Plus we seem a bit imbalanced in that most of our attacking threat is from the left. He always seems to give 100% when he plays and never makes any noise when he doesn't. A great player to have in the squad.

• Advertisement

Is that 3 hamstring injuries in the 12 months? Not ideal.

Sung to the Stone Roses famous hit 'Made of Stone',

"Romelu Lukaku,

He's our Belgium scoring genius,

With a 24 inch penis,

Scoring all the goals,

Bell-end to his toes."

https://twitter.com/MufcSongs/status/907870709908680709

"Romelu Lukaku,

With a 24 inch penis,

Scoring all the goals,

Bell-end to his toes."

https://twitter.com/MufcSongs/status/907870709908680709
    Zerks with the zerks :P

pjohnson wrote: »
    Zerks with the zerks :P

I even missed the game last night and the fookers in work blocked internet access.:(:(

On another point;

Doubters are quite now.

Sure already its changing to "Oh but he'll need to score goals in the big league games or big cup finals"

It's the same as always with pundits or people who arn't convinced with a player, they find the next thing to latch onto. I'm like that myself with players I don't rate, I'll always find something that is a problem.

Lukaku is, and has been, a top level striker that will soon join the elite, if he isn't even there already. Most of the "issues" with him from detractors were myths to begin with anyway.

bangkok wrote: »
    He still needs to work on his movement when we have the ball. Can be a bit static at times but he is at the best place to learn

To what extent? You see I don't see that as a problem.
    He's in the box where he needs to be.

Yeah I'm not overly concerned about a striker not running miles every game so long as they put the ball in the net. My only problem with Lukaku so far is missing that chance against Stoke.

Just watch him in the next game. Sometimes he is more happy to be involved in a physical battle rather than a bit of movement to get away from his man. Yes he is in the box, but if he wants to take his game to the next level he needs to be sharper in the box over 2-3 yards but like i said earlier that should improve playing with better players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

"Romelu Lukaku,

With a 24 inch penis,

Scoring all the goals,

Bell-end to his toes."

This is the side of football I hate. It's crass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Young is one of those that I'll probably be seen to hold a controversial opinion. Think he has been at the club way longer then he should, a signing that has never impressed me bar some streaky patches where sure he has stepped up, but I'm just saying ,he wants to leave for first team football which was the indication during the summer and likely will be again in January, and I wouldn't be sweating it.

There is more then adequate cover in the squad considering he is 3rd choice in most of these positions we talk about him covering, and the squad spot would be better served by a youth prospect being integrated into the team as opposed to a 30+ year old that has been typically brutal in terms of reliability (with his injuries, wouldn't question his commitment)

Granted does seem to be a clever player, two managers now who are very tactical and disciplined have really rated him and probably being fuming he hasn't been available more often.

Such an afterthought player for me, literally forget at times he is at the club

I don't think anyone is suggesting he's 1st choice in any position, but if you can't see his value in bringing reliable performances to a number of positions, applying himself to the tactics-du-jour with total professionalism, working his socks off no matter where on the pitch he is and seemingly content with his role within the club as a squad player, then lots will just assume you have a Bangkok/Fellaini type relationship with him.

Which is fine, you are entitled to it. But I disagree with your opinion, as lots do. Especially as he was class last night.

Bangkok, are you over your Fellaini hatred by the way?!

I don't think anyone is suggesting he's 1st choice in any position, but if you can't see his value in bringing reliable performances to a number of positions, applying himself to the tactics-du-jour with total professionalism, working his socks off no matter where on the pitch he is and seemingly content with his role within the club as a squad player, then lots will just assume you have a Bangkok/Fellaini type relationship with him.

Which is fine, you are entitled to it. But I disagree with your opinion, as lots do. Especially as he was class last night.

Bangkok, are you over your Fellaini hatred by the way?!

I never hated fellaini, i just didnt think he was good enough, which clearly he wasnt in his early united career. a good squad player now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I'd take a quiet, library-esque stadium instead of listening to that shíte chant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Doesn't morata have a similar rude chant

It's wholly atrocious and very silly. So much so that it almost makes the Chelsea fans' Morata/Spurs chant seem intelligent.

'Tony Martial comes from France,
    The English Press said he had no chance
    50 million down the drain
    Tony Martial scores again'

^That's an example of a decent chant IMO. A bit of humour in it, it rhymes, it rings out, it doesn't feel the need to dedicate two lines to the player's private anatomy.

I hope this Lukaku chant doesn't gain momentum. I'm not saying that we should start a 'Song for Lukaku' competition and get Louis Walsh and Linda Martin involved, but this goal-scoring wizard deserves better than the current offering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Speaking of. Martial, again he failed to deliver when starting which is disappointing.

Rashford still looks a better option to start, despite Martial impressing when coming on for the last 20 minutes and impressing when he has.

I though Miki was fairly poor overall last night. To much loose play from him which has been a feature this season.

Young is a better crosser than Valencia but that's not saying much and his final ball is more often than not poor. Crossing certainly isn't one of his strengths as previously mentioned although it was a peach from him last night.

Matic is like having a safety blanket wrapped around you when watching Utd. ****ing love him already and I was sceptical about him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Good night of champion's league football loads of goals and all the top teams won.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

jayo26 wrote: »
    Good night of champion's league football loads of goals and all the top teams won.....

Nearly all the top teams you mean? :rolleyes:

Monaco only drew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

I would've had Klopp near the top of my list behind Simeone when we were talking about who'd take over after Van Gaal but the more I see of Liverpool we almost certainly dodged a bullet. They're clueless without the ball and it doesn't seem to be changing at all.
    I'll not complain mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

I would've had Klopp near the top of my list behind Simeone when we were talking about who'd take over after Van Gaal but the more I see of Liverpool we almost certainly dodged a bullet. They're clueless without the ball and it doesn't seem to be changing at all.
    I'll not complain mind you.

Same here. I wasa bit devastated when they got Klopp but seeing how he fails to adapt his tactics to protect leads adequately along with inexplicably not signing a centre half, persisting with Moreno etc...

I also think with the gung ho style Liverpool play along with their lack of strength in depth that they will cause them to burn out and slump again after Xmas. It would appear an Xmas break like they have in Germany was badly needed for Klopps teams recovery.

If they finish 4 th this year they'll be doing very well imo.

It makes you realise how lucky we are to have such a good squad. Great backups in almost every position, along with a manager who adapts and changes his tactics to give us the best chance of getting the best result in every game.

I thought Sevilla were pretty poor in that match, Liverpool should have had the result sealed by half-time but ended up almost losing it in the final minutes. I didn't get to see any of the other English teams' matches from tonight yet.

Looking forward to the weekend. We need the win after dropping 2 points at Stoke. That result and performance didn't overly bother me, just one of those results and the Britannia Stadium has not been kind to us the last 5 years. However, if we drop more points in the next match, that's a different story.

Everton have had a very poor start to the season, but you'd have to think that they are playing well below their actual level at the moment and will find it sooner rather than later. No matter what level they find though, we should be beating them at home next Sunday.

I would expect to see 3 in CM for this game. Matic, Herrera and Fellaini. As for Carrick, I think he will be played along with the likes of Romero in the League Cup next week.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement