Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

The plus side against Everton is they still have to play tomorrow night and then have two days to get ready for big game on Sunday it's not easy even if they rest players they still only have two days to focus on United game.

The stoke game will be easily forgot if we win the weekend that would be two good results after drawing to them.

Doh - Simon Stone is reporting that having had a scan today, Pogba will miss at least a month, possibly up to 6 weeks. Going on that timeline, it's going to leave him struggling to get back in time for the Liverpool match.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/41261402

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

RTE showing highlights of United match.Commentator said about Fellaini goal "an excellent header from the sharpelbowed Belgium" WTF .
    Do you have to be a clown to work for RTE ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Cant wait to hear Dunphys thoughts on Utd

He is always good for a laugh

Doh - Simon Stone is reporting that having had a scan today, Pogba will miss at least a month, possibly up to 6 weeks. Going on that timeline, it's going to leave him struggling to get back in time for the Liverpool match.

Ffs :(

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Ffs :(

Yep, I would like to think that's the 'worst case ontario' rather than the way it will actually be.

I'd also suspect that United wouldn't want him declared fit too soon in case he gets rushed back at the start of October for France's international matches. Well, of course we want him back as soon as possible, but ya know what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Disappointing but c'est la vie. We do have theoretically nice enough fixtures in that time period so hopefully it won't impact too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Yep, I would like to think that's the 'worst case ontario' rather than the way it will actually be.

I'd also suspect that United wouldn't want him declared fit too soon in case he gets rushed back at the start of October for France's international matches.

Canada Dry drinker?

adox wrote: »
    Canada Dry drinker?

Not in decades! More like a 'Trailer Park Boys' viewer. A Canadian comedy show where one of the main characters gets some common terms confused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Trailer Park Boys.Great Show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Pogba injured?

The shít winds are howling, Rand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

yabadabado wrote: »
    Trailer Park Boys.Great Show

Just spent half an hour going through rickyisms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Telegraph reporting 4 weeks minimum. Tbh I'd rather we don't rush him back regardless of short term results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I know I'll get slated for this but Pogba hasn't exactly set the world alight this season so he won't be terribly missed. Yes he helped contribute to the routs of West Ham and Swansea but apart from that he's just clowned around with his stupid haircuts again. Stoke on Saturday is the kind of game you really expect a player of his calibre too step up, take control of the game and steer the ship home but instead he was largely anonymous. He didn't have a bad game as such just didn't do anything out of the ordinary.

I'd have been a lot more concerned for us if matic or fellaini were out for a few weeks than Pogba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Think Young deserves more football and would especially like to see him against the weaker teams at Old Trafford, where his crossing would give us a really good chance of breaking down stubborn defences.

thelad95 wrote: »
    I know I'll get slated for this but Pogba hasn't exactly set the world alight this season so he won't be terribly missed. Yes he helped contribute to the routs of West Ham and Swansea but apart from that he's just clowned around with his stupid haircuts again. Stoke on Saturday is the kind of game you really expect a player of his calibre too step up, take control of the game and steer the ship home but instead he was largely anonymous. He didn't have a bad game as such just didn't do anything out of the ordinary.

I'd have been a lot more concerned for us if matic or fellaini were out for a few weeks than Pogba.

Best player for the team so far this season and against stoke he did step up his passing was excellent as always.

The team broke down a stoke side that was happy to sit back and counter it wasn't pogbas fault we allowed them score two crappy goals.

Fellaini had a good game against Basel but he us in no way a cover for pogba or an improvement on him when we need a bit of creativity to stretch teams fellaini won't be much use to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Pogba had an OK game against Stoke, but against West Ham and Swansea he was the best player on the pitch by some distance imo.

I am happier this season with the cover United have. Lukaku going injured is the only one I fear would drastically change the dynamic of the team. I am not quite convinced Rashford has the same number of goals in him, but he is much improved after last season too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Pogba out just means Ander gets gametime. Far from a crisis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

You wont get slated, probably just havent seen any of the games if you dont think he has been good.

You probably also missed the fact he won united player of the month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

bangkok wrote: »
    You wont get slated, probably just havent seen any of the games if you dont think he has been good.

You probably also missed the fact he won united player of the month.

Meow

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Didn't know sourness had account on baords.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Didn't know sourness had account on baords.

He literally played for about 20 minutes before being subbed :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

I think Pogba his been very good in patches and pretty ordinary in others. I dont think he is much of a leader tbh.

gun to my head whos the best midfielder on our books has to be Matic, consistent 9/10 every game, grabs games by the scruff of the neck and controls tempo, works like a dog.

Thats not to say Pogba isnt a good player, i just think there is more in him.

This day 4 years ago Bangkok was crushed as Fellaini made his United debut. 3 years ago Blind and Rojo made their debut.

• Advertisement

He literally played for about 20 minutes before being subbed :pac:

His analysis was also all over the place. Midfielder moving to wing is seen as something big mistake when so many midfielders go to make impact.

akelly02 wrote: »
    I think Pogba his been very good in patches and pretty ordinary in others. I dont think he is much of a leader tbh.

gun to my head whos the best midfielder on our books has to be Matic, consistent 9/10 every game, grabs games by the scruff of the neck and controls tempo, works like a dog.

Thats not to say Pogba isnt a good player, i just think there is more in him.

That's their roles and style of play. How many chances did Matic create? See it's not his role, likewise Pogba isn't playing to provide defensive stability or control the tempo, there are midfielders to do that, he is there to play box to box and he is more attack oriented player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

pjohnson wrote:
    This day 4 years ago Bangkok was crushed as Fellaini made his United debut. 3 years ago Blind and Rojo made their debut.

This day in 1963 the Best ever Georgie made his debut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Any thoughts on Martial?

I thought it was just more of the same from him, a whole load of not very much. And that at home against a very, very poor side, what better chance does he need to get out and fill his boots? Its always the same though, a few glimpses of talent and then disappear for the majority of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    That's their roles and style of play. How many chances did Matic create? See it's not his role, likewise Pogba isn't playing to provide defensive stability or control the tempo, there are midfielders to do that, he is there to play box to box and he is more attack oriented player.

good point, however id like to see him become the go to man, a leader that doesnt drift in and out of games. For a man so talented i just think he is only operating at about 60%

• Advertisement

Any thoughts on Martial?

I thought it was just more of the same from him, a whole load of not very much. And that at home against a very, very poor side, what better chance does he need to get out and fill his boots? Its always the same though, a few glimpses of talent and then disappear for the majority of the game.

I'm normally the first person to criticize him but took alot of heat in the match thread.
    I made the point that in fairness he wasn't receiving alot of the ball on the left in advanced positions.
    Most of it was being fed to Young on the right.
    And when he did revive it he made some good runs at the defense and played some nice balls inside.
    Yes he made a few errors so I'm not excusing that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

We had this with Pogba last year too. People saying he wasn't that good, we can see how the rest of the team does, and then when he was hurt for a few games, our style of football went into the ground. Pogba is the type of player who elevates everyone around him.

Hopefully, Mkhi can step up to fill that creative void, and we can see stronger preformances from Fellaini and Ander, but anyone who underestimates the impact of such an injury to Pogba shows their ignorance...

Lord TSC wrote: »
    We had this with Pogba last year too. People saying he wasn't that good, we can see how the rest of the team does, and then when he was hurt for a few games, our style of football went into the ground. Pogba is the type of player who elevates everyone around him.

Hopefully, Mkhi can step up to fill that creative void, and we can see stronger preformances from Fellaini and Ander, but anyone who underestimates the impact of such an injury to Pogba shows their ignorance...

Yeah, looks like our whole game has changed this season and playing with more intensity, so we should win games without Pogba too.

Matic - Herrera/Fellaini midfield with Mkhitaryan, Rashford/Martial, Mata behind Lukaku should be enough to win most matches.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Presuming/hoping Pogba is back for the Liverpool game, he's missing...

Everton (H)
    Burton (H)
    Southampton (A)
    CSKA Moscow (A)
    Crystal Palce (H)

We should still be winning all of them even without him.

One is called a YouTube footballer that doesn't impact the team and won't be misses and needs to do more of what fellaini does and the other is one if the best players in the league and one of the best pep has ever managed...

Screenshot_20170914-104358.jpg

I can't tell them apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Pogba is class. It's clear when you watch United that he's the key that opens the lock every time. He enables your Rashford, Lukaku, Mkhitaryan, Martials of the world to get forward and score.

The team will suffer with him out of it, but should be able to endure with Herrera and Fellaini available as options.

jayo26 wrote: »
    One is called a YouTube footballer that doesn't impact the team and won't be misses and needs to do more of what fellaini does and the other is one if the best players in the league and one of the best pep has ever managed...

Screenshot_20170914-104358.jpg

I can't tell them apart.

I think Stormzy is the white one.

To note: The good run Pogba was on up until Tuesday night goes back to when he returned from Injury last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'm normally the first person to criticize him but took alot of heat in the match thread.
    I made the point that in fairness he wasn't receiving alot of the ball on the left in advanced positions.
    Most of it was being fed to Young on the right.
    And when he did revive it he made some good runs at the defense and played some nice balls inside.
    Yes he made a few errors so I'm not excusing that.

Some good runs and some nice balls inside. Its all very meh isn't it, with the real problem being that its all too familiar.

We should be expecting far more from him, but just as its been for 2 years now we get another anemic performance and a list of excuses. Thats not aimed at you, it was all over the match thread too, but this excuse of him of the ball never going left just makes me roll my eyes, its as if poor Martial can't catch a break with big bad Ashley Young coming in and stealing all the passes.

Some good runs and some nice balls inside. Its all very meh isn't it, with the real problem being that its all too familiar.

We should be expecting far more from him, but just as its been for 2 years now we get another anemic performance and a list of excuses. Thats not aimed at you, it was all over the match thread too, but this excuse of him of the ball never going left just makes me roll my eyes, its as if poor Martial can't catch a break with big bad Ashley Young coming in and stealing all the passes.

Here's the individual highlight for review; I'm still confident that he is continuing to progress in a positive manner but again wont be afraid to call him out if he's not.

Nobody can use the excuse that Jose isn't giving him chances because he clearly is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

jayo26 wrote: »
    Best player for the team so far this season and against stoke he did step up his passing was excellent as always.

The team broke down a stoke side that was happy to sit back and counter it wasn't pogbas fault we allowed them score two crappy goals.

Fellaini had a good game against Basel but he us in no way a cover for pogba or an improvement on him when we need a bit of creativity to stretch teams fellaini won't be much use to us.

Matic and Lukaku have been the two United players I've been most impressed with this season so far. Rashford a close third.

To note: The good run Pogba was on up until Tuesday night goes back to when he returned from Injury last season.

Yep pogba has been excellent. Anyone who says otherwise is either not watching the games or is graeme souness

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Matic and Lukaku have been the two United players I've been most impressed with this season so far. Rashford a close third.

ManUtd.com player of the month is Pogba.

Redcafe ManUtd player of the month is Matic, followed by Pogba and Jones.

Pogba was superb in most games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

emmetkenny wrote: »

Matic I think has been the standout player but Pogba a close second, and I believe that Pogba wouldn't be up there only for Matic.. Matic allows the rest of the team to function. Carrick used to do it in his younger days but doesn't have the legs anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

Yeah, I'm pretty sick of Pogba bashers. Because he cost a lot of money and has funny hair he should be lighting up the league and banging in 40 goals a season. Thats not his job though He's a CM, and a very good one, probably one of, if not the best in the league, no other player in the league can do what he does. An average game for him is still better than most in the league. But when he does have an average game you'd swear he's the worst player on the planet. I wouldn't swap Pogba for any other CM in the league, no chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It is a shame Pogba hadn't been shaving his legs, and then unable to play due to an infected pimple on his leg.

Julez wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm pretty sick of Pogba bashers. Because he cost a lot of money and has funny hair he should be lighting up the league and banging in 40 goals a season. Thats not his job though He's a CM, and a very good one, probably one of, if not the best in the league, no other player in the league can do what he does. An average game for him is still better than most in the league. But when he does have an average game you'd swear he's the worst player on the planet. I wouldn't swap Pogba for any other CM in the league, no chance.

I wouldnt swap pogba for any other midfielder in europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

bangkok wrote: »
    I wouldnt swap pogba for any other midfielder in europe

I'd swap him for Mati.......

Oh wait...

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Looking forward to the game at the weekend. I'm sure Rooney will get a great welcome but I wonder how he'll react if he scores. If he did I'd almost love him to run away going mad kissing the badge just to see everyone go nuts about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Pogba vs De Bruyne.

I think Pep has struck a wonder move putting him into midfield. I think De Bruyne is a fantastic player, probably been the best player in the league for about two seasons now and the level he operates at is unbelievable. Really, really rate him as one of the leagues best.

It's weird when you consider De Bruyne moved for a big fee too at the time with some eyebrows raised, but he has just won people over with awesome performances and contributions. Pogba will do that in time. The injury was terrible timing, as he started the season well and it will be a disruption. Hopefully he come back firing.

I'm sure Pogba will win over people eventually, he is an incredible midfielder with incredible talent. But he does need to just operate consistently in terms of a high level, and really influence games. Which he has been doing. De Bruyne is also very influential in big games.

I'd have KDB ahead of Pogba, and probably consider him the best midfielder in the league now that he has moved in there, but Pogba isn't far behind. And he probably, nor we should, be worried about him being the best or comparisons to others. There are games where he will be shackled by Jose, which Pep will never do with his CM's like De Bruyne, aslong as Pogba is producing and being productive to victories, that is all that matters really, and thus far that has been the case.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement