Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

pjohnson wrote: »
    Well yes but I'd say it is only a problem for some strikers. Ruud or Ronaldo didn't have drought issues like that from my memory, then others like Berbatov and Hernandez while never perhaps reaching a patch of being unplayable they never experienced particularly barren spells. I'm nowhere near saying he isnt a United player.

Of course they did - in 2008/09 Berbatov scored in one out of 10 games for us, only about 3 games out of scoring in one out of seven games, then to end the season he scored in two out of 15 games. In 2009/10 he had a patch where he scored in one out of 9 games and finished the season with no goals in his last 8 games. He famously scored five against Blackburn in 2010/11, but in the eleven games prior to that had not scored once, and in his last 16 games of that season only scored in two games. In his last season in 2011/12 he also had a patch of scoring one goal in nine games (most of the games he scored in from these examples were just one goal).

Chicharito was very consistently putting the ball away in his first season, but in his second (2011/12) also had a patch of one goal in eight games, and another of no goals in seven. In 2012/13 he had a patch of one goal in eight games and went another six games without scoring late in the season. Under the tutelage of the Football Genius in 2013/14, he went ten games without scoring. Though it has to be remembered a lot of the time he came off the bench with 20-30 minutes remaining.

Ronaldo's last season here saw him have a patch with just one goal in 13 games, and prior to 2006/07 was infamously streaky - one of the best players in the league for a few weeks/months, followed by a player that would make you almost wonder if we'd be better off playing with just ten men for another few weeks/months. It's also worth noting that this is one of the legitimate very, very best players to ever play the game we are talking about, and he had streaks.

Ruud had a patch in 2002/03 where he only scored in one out of eight games, another in 2003/04 where he scored in just one of nine games, and an eight game goalless streak in his 2004/05, and only scored in two of his last 11 games at the club.

Lukaku had patches last year of scoring in one game out of seven, and two out of eight. The year before he had a ten game goalless streak. In 2014/15 he had a period where he scored in only one out of eight games, and another where he scored in two of eleven. These pretty much in line with the others, but while Hernandez had the substitute excuse, it also has to be said for Lukaku that you're expected to get better and more consistent service at Man Utd than Everton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

bangkok wrote: »
    He is a quality player who can play a number of positions. I think he will be our rb for years

We know ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Predictions for tomorrow? Have 3 quid on Burnley so easy win for Liverpool 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

A bad tackle by Tom Cleverley led to a free and a goal for Aguero.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

So a summary of the news from the past few days:

Thomas Meunier wants to join United.
    Antoine Griezmann could join United in January if Atletico sign Costa.
    Thomas Muller to United next Summer, in the papers that he said he was tempted to move to United 2 years ago and is open to leaving Bayern. Then Bayern told him he belonged there, but James Rodriguez is keeping him on the bench and the word is he wants a new challenge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

City are ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

City are ridiculous

team to beat by a long way, any team that has that kind of firepower will be very hard to stop

Then why not talk about City in their thread, or the general thread. No offence but who gives a **** about City

Utd need to do their thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Then why not talk about City in their thread, or the general thread. No offence but who gives a **** about City

I thought the general thread was for smaller clubs discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

No match thread for 3pm kick offs today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

No match thread for 3pm kick offs today?

No big clubs playing to justify their own match thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Edit wrong thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

I give a sh*t about City. They are probably our biggest threat to winning the title and are probably a better side than us on what we've seen so far.

I said f*ck :P

I give a sh*t about City. They are probably our biggest threat to winning the title and are probably a better side than us on what we've seen so far.

No they aren't, they have no defence. Also they won their first 6 games last season so far too early to predict!

Long way to go in season I wouldn't be worried about any team until after Christmas we may not be even in a position to challenge for title we might be worrying more about pool or Everton who knows.

City look good but they also looked good last year too but come the second half of season they couldn't hang on. Anything can happen.

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    No they aren't, they have no defence. Also they won their first 6 games last season so far too early to predict!

they broke the world record for a goalkeeper who looks very good

broke the world record for a right back who is excellent

broke the world record for a left back mendy who is world class

they have john stones who has improved immensely, otamendi komany and danilo.

to say they have no defence is ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

And last weekend against Liverpool they were comically bad at the back until the mane sending off.

They still have lots of work to do on that defence.

So far none of the top teams dropped points today hopefully spurs will change that...

• Advertisement

Their keeper has had 3/4 games and hasn't looked great at all.

Stones is still muck.

If they improve their defence, they will be very strong but Watford are not the litmus test. 15 games will be a good indication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

jayo26 wrote: »
    So far none of the top teams dropped points today hopefully spurs will change that...

Subtle

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Their keeper has had 3/4 games and hasn't looked great at all.

Stones is still muck.

If they improve their defence, they will be very strong but Watford are not the litmus test. 15 games will be a good indication.

They've got 2 of the best full backs in world football. They've improved their defence. The way City play, having top level CB's isn't even as important for them. Full backs so important for their system and their options are ridiculous, Mendy is going to look like a bargain at the end of the season.

Ok, 5-0 tomorrow and we're back top, no problem.

A Lukaku hatrick, a Rashford poach and a Herrera shot deflected in off 3 Everton players.

Elsewhere, I see West Brom and West Ham finished 0-0 after 96 minutes of football, I'm shocked. And Newcastle would be a good aul city to be out in tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

A nice 2-0 will do but i wont be disappointed if its more.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I'm thrilled with Lukaku, but not surprised. I argued at the beginning of the summer that he was keeping up with Kane despite being in a weaker team at the time, and he's showing now that as our focal point, he's going to be amazing.

And that's also ignoring he's fluffed a few chances as well; a missed penalty, the shot near the end of the Stoke game. He's 6 from 6. He could have even more. He's incredible. And even better, he's not even near his prime yet. At his age, its scary to think how good he could get.

In fairness all through the Morata debate you wanted Lukaku bought

Not sure if I'm reporting on the zerks hotline here, but a few words from Jose about Fellaini's late mistake v Everton last season, and Jose's approach to such mistakes...
    From ESPN wrote:

After giving away a penalty in the 1-1 draw with Everton at Goodison Park last season, Fellaini was booed by some United fans during the next home game against Tottenham.

But after replacing Pogba against Basel on Tuesday, the Belgian was voted man-of-the-match after scoring the first and making the third in a 3-0 win.

Mourinho said: "His mistake last season was the kind of mistake that I accept in a player.

"I accept the goalkeeper that concedes a bad goal. I accept the player who misses a penalty. I accept the player who makes a mistake and gives a penalty away.

"I accept all these individual mistakes, that are part of the game and part of football players. What I did with Marouane is what I do normally with every player. Like Jones, he made a bad mistake for Stoke's second goal. Did I kill him? No. Will he be on the bench on Sunday? No.

"So life goes on, and that's the way I did it last season with Fellaini. When players make one individual big mistake and everybody knows that they did it, the players are the first to know they did, and they don't need any more criticism from the manager that they get from the fans or from the media.

"It's just being pragmatic and showing common sense."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

And last weekend against Liverpool they were comically bad at the back until the mane sending off.

They still have lots of work to do on that defence.

And still didn't concede a goal to them. Many defences will struggle with that Liverpool attack - including ours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

And still didn't concede a goal to them. Many defences will struggle with that Liverpool attack - including ours.

Through poor finishing from Liverpool. Did you watch the game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

jayo26 wrote: »

If you mean big teams as in league contender then only City were playing today :confused:

United and Chelsea being the other main contenders.

Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool are all a bit behind those three in terms of squad this season. I think most realistic fans would agree with that?

I'd expect Liverpool to be there abouts with a challenge but not to have enough to get over the line. We should be looking at regularly getting CL again. It's hard to go from years outside the top 4 to winning a league, bar the Foxes season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

emmetkenny wrote: »
    If you mean big teams as in league contender then only City were playing today :confused:

United and Chelsea being the other main contenders.

Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool are all a bit behind those three in terms of squad this season. I think most realistic fans would agree with that?

I'd expect Liverpool to be there abouts with a challenge but not to have enough to get over the line. We should be looking at regularly getting CL again. It's hard to go from years outside the top 4 to winning a league, bar the Foxes season.

Spurs could and pool could both pressure if lucky with injuries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ya I still think Liverpool and Spurs could do something n league if they got a bit of run going.

Spurs home woes could be a concern though. I reckon Liverpool will get Top 4 ahead of them anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Pressure but won't be strong enough to get over the line. Liverpool are very good going forward but still shaky at the back. Spurs are really consistent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

The European games will have a big bearing on the teams position in the league.......the timing of the games and how long the English teams stay in along with injuries could scupper any of the top 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Good result

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Good day. Liverpool and Spurs dropping points at home was very unexpected. In Liverpool's defence though, Anfield was breezy.

City look strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I'm not a massive buyer into the City hype train, they were made look very good today by an awful Watford side.

However, Everton should have beaten them and Liverpool had them on the ropes up until the red card.

Title contenders? Yes, in fact they're justifiably favourites but I can see the usual downward trajectory coming soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Great we didnt waste time or money after Renato Sanches.

thelad95 wrote: »
    I'm not a massive buyer into the City hype train, they were made look very good today by an awful Watford side.

However, Everton should have beaten them and Liverpool had them on the ropes up until the red card.

Title contenders? Yes, in fact they're justifiably favourites but I can see the usual downward trajectory coming soon.

They went away to a very good feynoord team and ripped them apart. They have serious firepower and many on this thread said it before the season even started

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

He's going to struggle to look good in an awful Swansea team tbh.

Anyway, agree with what people are saying about City. They'll steamroll teams that go defensive against hem but the defence really looks shakey, tactically more than in terms of ability. If teams go at them, they'll concede.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Bit early to be hanging a kid starting in a new country in a bad side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

City have the best attacking options by far in the league and that will get them a long way but, despite spending a fortune in the summer on their defence, it looks all over the place. That comes from the coach.

There may be some that believe a philosophy of "we will score more than you" will win a league and it may in some countries but in the Premier league I just don't buy it.

City are probably favourites since the start of the season and people will be fawning over their recent goal scoring sprees but they don't look a complete team to me and when the pressure comes they will be found out.

Utd have moved a lot closer to the top this season with their signings but still I fear are a little short.

That may leave the door open again for a slightly underwhelming but ultimately fairly consistent Chelsea to take the honours again.

Spurs had their season last season. They had a poor transfer summer and Liverpool were never really going to challenge without some major investment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Thoughts on the starting line up 2mrw lads, matic, fellani, herrera seeing as pogba is out. Fellani deserves a spot after the performance during the week. Also think rashford might get the nod ahead of martial.
    Everton played hooribly in the europa, im expecting the mood there to be ****e.

It'll all be the media on Rooney coming back to old trafford so, he'll play a worldie or crumble, either or, who cares, we should be beating them.

Lol I see adox is trying to do a M!Ck^

(See the thanks list under posturingpats post)

Try say the above in brackets ten times really fast for added lolz

AidoEirE wrote: »
    Thoughts on the starting line up 2mrw lads, matic, fellani, herrera seeing as pogba is out. Fellani deserves a spot after the performance during the week. Also think rashford might get the nod ahead of martial.
    Everton played hooribly in the europa, im expecting the mood there to be ****e.

It'll all be the media on Rooney coming back to old trafford so, he'll play a worldie or crumble, either or, we should be beating them.

Going on previous home games I reckon it will be either Fellaini or Herrera not both.

adox wrote: »
    Going on previous home games I reckon it will be either Fellaini or Herrera not both.

Probably, fellani most likely deserves it, could do well against the shaky everton defence but id say herrera is chomping at the teeth to start a game.
    Im looking forward to it anyway, hopefully we do an atalanta and just put them away.

3points, lads at the back have a solid game and the boys up top doing the business we'll be delighted.

Lol I see adox is trying to do a M!Ck^

(See the thanks list under posturingpats post)

Try say the above in brackets ten times really fast for added lolz

The records still good though, 3 to beat is it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

AidoEirE wrote: »
    The records still good though, 3 to beat is it ;)

Everton are really poor this season and not replacing Lukaku was a big big mistake. We should be battering them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Wish we had pereira as am option to come into the side, with Pogba possibly out for up to 3 months. We are very short in midfield now.

Wish we had pereira as am option to come into the side, with Pogba possibly out for up to 3 months. We are very short in midfield now.

He might be regretting his decision to go out on loan now instead of taking a place in the squad as Jose and Utd wants him to, if reports are to be believed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement