Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Mata was far too quiet, and Rashford had a very poor game imo. Part of that was Young offered no assistance to him or Lingard during the game; several times, Rashford was ganged up on with no one supporting him.

Matic and Fellaini, as well as Bailley and Jones, were solid, but the wings were big issues defensively.

DDG my MOTM though. Made a few vital saves when everyone else was sleeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Matic again today was superb. What a signing he has been.

Nice to see 4 different goal scorers today too.

adox wrote: »
    Why?

City are only top of the league now because of alphabetical order. I reckon that's what he might mean. In that case, we may as well double-up just to be safe - the Manchester Aardvarks. Ah damn...weren't Hull prevented from changing their name to the Hull Tigers? There goes that plan then.

Anyway, the scoreline today flatters us but I don't care too much right now. Games like that we should be lucky to see out with a 1-0 win, let alone get the chance to go on and nullify the league leader's goal difference edge over us.

It was a slog at times, too many times, but those last 8 or so minutes honestly pulled me out of a hangover.

Two wins in an important week. With that Everton game out of the way, the run of games from now until the next international break looks a lot kinder to us. We should we taking full advantage of it, in the PL anyway whatever about the trip to Moscow.

20/9 - Burton Albion (H)
    23/9 - Southampton (A)
    27/9 - CSKA Moscow (A)
    30/9 - Crystal Palace (H)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Fantastic result and great to see a few different goalscorers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Some goal though by valencia, didnt know he could that, unreal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

AidoEirE wrote: »
    Some goal though by valencia, didnt know he could that, unreal

I'm as big a fan of Tonys as you'll see but i don't think we should expect to see that too often :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Scoreline was flattering in the extreme but to win 4 nil while playing fairly poorly shows just how much threat we have in the team and that was without arguably our best player.

Left back continues to be an issue for us.

DDG is as important to us as anyone and the confidence our defence must have, knowing they have arguably the best in the world behind them must be immense.

After 38 games last season we had 54 goals.

After 5 games this year we have 16.

That's almost 30% of last season's total in only 13% of the games.

What ever way it's spun - against weaker teams etc - that is very fooking impressive.

Still very early days of course but it's nice to have a 5 point gap on other top 4 rivals.

Finally, Lou Kaku.

He was a dream signing before we got him and I thought he would do well for us but I didn't expect such a great return so quickly.

Fcuking delighted with him so far.

I'm as big a fan of Tonys as you'll see but i don't think we should expect to see that too often :D

I didnt expect it all, dont expect him to do it again, just thought it was great goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Good result despite not playing to the best of their ability..

Matic is a monster..brilliant signing

• Advertisement

Martial becoming the new solskjaer if he keeps being the super sub

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

AidoEirE wrote: »
    Martial becoming the new solskjaer if he keeps being the super sub

I know he scored but it was a bad peno imo

Hococop wrote: »

He waited for the goaly to move then just put it in the other side?

He waited for the goaly to move then just put it in the other side?

Didn't spot that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Didnt see the match as was watching the Dubs!!

Seems the ever present 4-0 was flattering?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

It was also great to see Martial demanding to take the penalty. Good to see him have the hunger and confidence to take the initiative.

Didn't spot that

I think he has scored 6/6 penos in the premier league since his debut he is a pretty ice cold finisher. You would wonder what he could do as a striker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I think he has scored 6/6 penos in the premier league since his debut he is a pretty ice cold finisher. You would wonder what he could do as a striker
    He had the odd game there and unfortunately he was inconsistent there as he is when playing out left.

Maybe he'd have a field day if the team are firing on all cylinders.

Missing the point..
    He's coming on late enough in games and scoring goals. Bad peno or not, its in the back of the net

Glory glory man utd. I love utd. Drunk xxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Hope I'm not Zerksing it but well done Big Dave for his 100th clean sheet for us. Hero.

I see that was de geas 100 clean sheet for us, I've said it before, God bless that fax machine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

I'd have Martial on pens full stop. Lukaku just seems to finish better when he has less time for some reason!

Also Valencia for goal of the season so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Great result today, performance was a bit dodge for large spells but we will take it, big few games coming up between now and the end of the month.

Burton Albion (H) - EFL
    Southampton (A) - PL
    CSKA (A) - CL
    Palace (H) - PL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

bangkok wrote: »
    Glory glory man utd. I love utd. Drunk xxx

Go on say I love fellaini..

Didnt see the match as was watching the Dubs!!

Seems the ever present 4-0 was flattering?

It was a bit yeah. Utd started well, Everton controlled things a bit particularly after half time, Utd sucker punched in the last 10 mins. You don't win 4-0 by accident though, deserved win.

jayo26 wrote: »

:):)

Average performance today but good result that's all that matters.

Rashford gets away with a lot of inconsistent performances in my opinion.

Martial has been better this season and deserves a run in the team as someone said he is so clinical in front of goal.

irishfeen wrote: »
    Great result today, performance was a bit dodge for large spells but we will take it, big few games coming up between now and the end of the month.

Burton Albion (H) - EFL
    Southampton (A) - PL
    CSKA (A) - CL
    Palace (H) - PL

Feen!! Yo!!

• Advertisement

I never did dislike the big man, just didnt think he was good enough.

I LOVE FELLAINI. Xxxxxzxz

Love u 2 jayo and jayop xxx

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Feen!! Yo!!
    Hows she cutting? :)

Haven't posted in yonks, but I was keeping an eye on ye ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Average performance today but good result that's all that matters.

Rashford gets away with a lot of inconsistent performances in my opinion.

Martial has been better this season and deserves a run in the team as someone said he is so clinical in front of goal.

I'd still have Rashford in ahead of Martial. He's looks impressive when on for the last 20 but that's when Rashford has usually knackered out the defence.

Martial was annonymous during the week when he started.

As an aside I think Rashford is more adaptable to playing wide left than Martial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Yeah I love Martial but Rashford has been better on the wing this season.

Martial is a far far better goal scorer though. We should see a front three of Rashford, Martial & Lingard against Burton which could be fun.

I'd like us, at some point, to swig out Mata for Martial or Lingard and see how we do with someone else pacier on the right side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    I'd have Martial on pens full stop. Lukaku just seems to finish better when he has less time for some reason!

Also Valencia for goal of the season so far?
    Mata was on official penalty taking duties but given he was no longer on the pitch and we were already 3-0 up José didn't mind who took it.

• Advertisement

It's well documented that Utd won their first 3 league games last season but a huge amount of damage was done to Utd's season in 16/17 between games 4 and 14 in the league, with only 12 points accumulated from those 11 games, 22 points dropped in total which was too hard to recover from. I'm really interested to see how the next 8 or 9 league games go, still up around the top at that stage and I'll be convinced Utd are serious contenders.

Having said that, and I hate to say this, but City might just end up being too good. They're tearing everyone to shreds now.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I don't think anyone's getting too far ahead of themselves..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Having said that, and I hate to say this, but City might just end up being too good. They're tearing everyone to shreds now.

They've has a good week, but have only scored the same amount of goals as Utd. Way too early to be proclaiming anything. Remember they won their first 5 last season and ended up scraping third.

After January u will know where teams are at when the league games start been a real slog and fatigue sets in that's when you know what a team is made of.

City are playing excellent style football liverpool lads think they play the nicest football they ain't a patch on what city can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Valencia scored a great goal in his Wigan days v Man City. Kind of similar in that it flew into top corner.

• Advertisement

Just when I thought the day couldn't get any better :)

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/909518581314019329

Just when I thought the day couldn't get any better :)

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/909518581314019329

I would still lean towarda 12 weeks. They would know by now if it was a short term injury

Where did the 12 weeks even come from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

irishfeen wrote:

Feen it's great to have ye back sir,
    bangkok wrote:
    Love u 2 jayo and jayop xxx

Where's the love for me ye drunk b****x

adox wrote: »
    I'd still have Rashford in ahead of Martial. He's looks impressive when on for the last 20 but that's when Rashford has usually knackered out the defence.

Martial was annonymous during the week when he started.

As an aside I think Rashford is more adaptable to playing wide left than Martial.

I thought Martial had a poor game against Basel, however I think that days like today show that he gets a harder ride than Rashford from fans.

Rashford was very poor today, like Martial v Basel poor, and not for the first time in recent memory. He did very little today to exhaust the defence and pave an easier way for Martial.

Martial created that (very nicely taken) penalty today sort of out of nowhere. He took 2 Everton players out to advance into the box, and had the third player taken out and was clean-through only for the trailing arm which stopped his goal-bound progress.

I'm not saying we should be tripping over ourselves to praise Martial, I just think he has a harder job to achieve that praise than Rashford does.

Still though, have to agree adox, I would have Rashford in over Martial at the moment for the main 11. Same as I thought after Martial's 2 goals and 1 assist from the bench in our opening 2 games this season - Keep Rashford on for the start and let Martial run at them near the end. It's going to be a long season with plenty of games for both players. Rashford for the league and Martial to get a start in the League Cup during the week.

Just looking at Martial's sub appearances this season so far - He has 3 goals and 1 assist from a total of 45 minutes over 4 games. I wonder if Solskjaer is panicking yet :pac:

brinty wrote: »
    Feen it's great to have ye back sir,

Where's the love for me ye drunk b****x

Love u 2 baby xx

Even love u astradave :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

bangkok wrote: »
    Love u 2 baby xx

Even love u astradave :)

Jesus you sound so drunk ye might need a pump out!

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Where did the 12 weeks even come from?

The Sun (rag)

The Sun (rag)

Ah the "take everything with a massive pinch of salt" paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I thought Martial had a poor game against Basel, however I think that days like today show that he gets a harder ride than Rashford from fans.

Rashford was very poor today, like Martial v Basel poor, and not for the first time in recent memory. He did very little today to exhaust the defence and pave an easier way for Martial.

Martial created that (very nicely taken) penalty today sort of out of nowhere. He took 2 Everton players out to advance into the box, and had the third player taken out and was clean-through only for the trailing arm which stopped his goal-bound progress.

I'm not saying we should be tripping over ourselves to praise Martial, I just think he has a harder job to achieve that praise than Rashford does.

Still though, have to agree adox, I would have Rashford in over Martial at the moment for the main 11. Same as I thought after Martial's 2 goals and 1 assist from the bench in our opening 2 games this season - Keep Rashford on for the start and let Martial run at them near the end. It's going to be a long season with plenty of games for both players. Rashford for the league and Martial to get a start in the League Cup during the week.

Just looking at Martial's sub appearances this season so far - He has 3 goals and 1 assist from a total of 45 minutes over 4 games. I wonder if Solskjaer is panicking yet :pac:

I agree that Rashford was poor today. You could nearly see from the start that he wasn't at it, couldn't get his feet sorted etc.

However I think he still offers more playing poorly than Martial does playing poorly. He can play that wide left channel more naturally. He still found space, made some good runs and dragged a CB out on numerous occasions. Martial more often than not comes inside into traffic and runs into a dead end(when not playing well).

I think Rashford is a more intelligent footballer out wide than Martial. I think Martial is currently a more intelligent centre forward than Rashford. Martial actually has more natural talent to beat a player or two but Rashford is no slouch with the hall at his feet and uses his pace more than Martial when out wide. He makes the right runs most of the time.

It's why I still think Lingard is still a very important squad player for the team. He is by far the most intelligent forward for making runs and finding space which is essential against both teams playing defensively and also counter attacking. Unfortunately he doesn't have the footballing ability of the other two.

Eventually I'd like to see both Martial and Rashford playing in the wider forward positions this season. The formation is set up perfectly for two fast wide players.

Mata I think is leading a bit of a charmed life at the moment getting a starting position. Only for Martial not really showing form when staring I think Mata would be out of the team or competing with Miki for that no 10 position.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement