Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Some stats that I'm updating after games. I find this crap interesting so I might as well share....

(added a few names at random to track their progress against)

United appearances record
    1 Giggs 963
    12 Roy Keane 480
    17 Carrick 459 (who knew???)
    56 Vidic 300
    88 VanNistlerooy 219
    140 Yorke 152
    162 Stam 127
    213 Martial 97
    243 Rashford 78
    276 Pogba 64

United Goal All-Time - (Worth keeping an eye on)
    1 Rooney 253
    2 Charlton 249
    6 George Best 179
    8 Ryan Giggs 168
    18 Ronaldo 118
    22 Bryan Robson 99
    38 RVP 58
    68 Juan Mata 36
    86 Welbeck 29
    88 Zlatan 28
    90 Martial 28
    113 Rashford 22
    137 Forlan 17
    181 Pogba 11
    227 Lukaku 7

United League
    1 Charlton 199
    7 George Best 137
    11 Ryan Giggs 114
    21 Ronaldo 84
    40 RVP 48
    55 Javier Hernandez 37
    105 Welbeck 20
    114 Martial 18
    116 Zlatan 17
    149 Rashford 12
    173 Forlan 10
    205 Pogba 7
    244 Lukaku 5

United Europe (A bit harder to get the combined stats for all comps)
    1 Rooney 39
    2 VanNistelrooy 38
    3 Giggs 29
    4 Law 28
    5 Scholes 26
    Zlatan 5
    Rashford 5
    Martial 5
    Lukaku 2 (including CWC final)

Premier League all time
    1 Alan Shearer Blackburn Rovers, Newcastle United 260
    2 Wayne Rooney Everton, Manchester United 200
    8 Michael Owen Liverpool, Newcastle, Manchester United, Stoke 150
    24 Drogba Chelsea 104
    35 Lukaku WBA, Everton, Manchester United 90
    107 Mata Chelsea, Manchester United 45
    361 Martial Manchester United 18
    378 Zlatan Manchester United 17
    525 Rashford Manchester United 12
    794 Pogba Manchester United 7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

astradave wrote: »
    Went off with a hip injury 2 weeks ago. Not sure if he is still injured though, he played on for a good 15 mins after it happened

Wilson is playing for the u23s tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

SteM wrote: »

Yeah as I said I wasn't sure if he recovered, must have just been a knock. Will have a look later and see how he does

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,347 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

SteM wrote: »

No Tuanzebe or McTominay - indicates they'll be part of the squad vs Burton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

No Tuanzebe or McTominay - indicates they'll be part of the squad vs Burton.

Really hope he rests players tomorrow night we can't afford to let happen what happened last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Jayop wrote: »

Premier League all time
    1 Alan Shearer Blackburn Rovers, Newcastle United 260
    2 Wayne Rooney Everton, Manchester United 200
    8 Michael Owen Liverpool, Newcastle, Manchester United, Stoke 150
    24 Drogba Chelsea 104
    35 Lukaku WBA, Everton, Manchester United 90
    107 Mata Chelsea, Manchester United 45
    361 Martial Manchester United 18
    378 Zlatan Manchester United 17
    525 Rashford Manchester United 12
    794 Pogba Manchester United 7

Lukaku has every chance of beating Shearer's record.He could have 8+years left in the Premiership.More than likely will score 100 league goals before he's 25 not many players do that.Owen Rooney and Fowler the only ones afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Much prefer Tuanzebe plays over Smalling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

With Martial this season so far, I'd suggest (and did in a response to you last week which might have went unseen) that the poor Basel performance which was typical of too many of Martial's last season, was the exception to a good start to the new season for him.

I did see that post, it was a long post that necessitated the type of proper reply that I didn't have time to sit and write. By the time I did have that time, the moment seemed to have past and the discussion moved on.

In short, I don't really agree with your opinion that Martial is having a good season and that the Basle game was just an exception. He has had a couple of good cameos but thats nowhere near enough to dispel any concerns I have about him, and here is why.

Martial has looked good in three of his sub appearances, but rather underwhelming in both of the starts he has been given. Is that not a worry?

It is to me, its all well and good coming on late and bagging a few goals but we need Martial to step up and be a consistent first team player, but just like last season when he is given the responsibility and a first team start he underwhelms.

I'm not writing him off, it is early days and he will get more chances as the season goes on, but when you say that he has done well and that Basle was just a blip I have to say, no, its not a blip, its exactly what we have been seeing for a long time and a few good cameos shouldn't disguise that.

Thats why I want to see him play against Burton, I want him to come out and stand up and rip them to pieces. And then the next time he starts a game to go and do the same against PL opposition. And then do it again. And then maybe I'll start to believe anything has changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

yabadabado wrote: »
    Lukaku has every chance of beating Shearer's record.He could have 8+years left in the Premiership

Might be a stretch but assuming he can stay fit he should hit 200.

• Advertisement

beno619 wrote: »
    Might be a stretch but assuming he can stay fit he should hit 200.

What he does have going for him is he seems to look after himself and is in great shape as long as he doesn't peak too early and avoids serious injuries he has great chance.

I think it will be between lukaku and Kane to come close.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

yabadabado wrote:
    Lukaku has every chance of beating Shearer's record.He could have 8+years left in the Premiership.More than likely will score 100 league goals before he's 25 not many players do that.Owen Rooney and Fowler the only ones afaik

Hasn't kane just hit 100? I'd say he's the most likely to beat shearers record.

Out of interest, how many did shearer score prior to PL if any? The recording of records since PL inception annoys me, I'd much rather have the league goals since day one as the benchmark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Kane just got 100 Tottenham goals and not premier league goals. Himself and Lukaku are in very similar positions. Lukaku could do with upping his penalty game if he wants to trouble the big hitters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

What I found

Kane 80 pl goals
    Lukaku 90 pl goals

VW 1 wrote: »

Out of interest, how many did shearer score prior to PL if any? The recording of records since PL inception annoys me, I'd much rather have the league goals since day one as the benchmark.

Sheared scored 23 goals in the old first division .

I think both Kane and Lukaku have realistic chances of breaking the record,they both have very similar records to date although Lukaku has 35 more appearances afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/sep/18/rio-ferdinand-boxing-manchester-united-curtis-woodhouse

Rio Ferdinand will announce on Tuesday that he is to become a professional boxer at 38 in a dramatic change of career two years after his retirement from football.

According to various reports, the switch will be confirmed at a lunchtime press conference in east London. Ferdinand will confirm a bid to follow in the footsteps of other converts such at Curtis Woodhouse, the former Sheffield United player, who became British light-welterweight champion in 2014 before retiring from the sport.

Champagne supernova football as Manchester clubs stand apart – Football Weekly

Ferdinand has been working as a pundit for BT Sport since his last playing role in football, a season-long spell at Queens Park Rangers in 2014-15. His enthusiasm for boxing has been made public in the past, with Instagram videos having shown him in training and one photograph showing him posing with the world heavyweight champion, Anthony Joshua.

The six-times Premier League winner with Manchester United, who won 81 England caps, will have to apply for a professional boxing licence but will hope his previous successes translate into his new discipline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

The f*ck??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Rio vs vidic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Mourinho is some buck.

"In 105 matches that he has overseen on a Sunday, he has never suffered a defeat in any, accumulating 81 wins and 24 draws."

Crazy stat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

ElChe32 wrote: »
    Mourinho is some buck.

"In 105 matches that he has overseen on a Sunday, he has never suffered a defeat in any, accumulating 81 wins and 24 draws."

Crazy stat.

#fustedblush

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Home games.

We lost multiple Sunday games last season

Fair play to Rio, there is nothing easy about boxing and if he wants to give it a shot then more power to him.

He is still a young man, a multimillionaire with a lot of time on his hands, why wouldn't he get involved in something new? I'd be more surprised if these top players didn't get into these sorts of things, they needed to be very driven to reach the top of professional football in the first place and I'm sure that drive doesn't disappear easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Fair play to Rio, there is nothing easy about boxing and if he wants to give it a shot then more power to him.

He is still a young man, a multimillionaire with a lot of time on his hands, why wouldn't he get involved in something new? I'd be more surprised if these top players didn't get into these sorts of things, they needed to be very driven to reach the top of professional football in the first place and I'm sure that drive doesn't disappear easily.

He may be a young man but he's ancient in boxing terms and it seems bonkers that he would want to take it up professionally aged 38.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I've nothing against boxing (well, apart from dodgy decisions...........) but if I had made as much money as someone like Rio has, the last thing I would want to do would be getting seriously into competitive boxing at nearly 40 years of age. The lads that chose to do it have a lot of balls to them and I'd be far from the type to scream "blood sport!" or whatnot but I can't think of any other sport I'd be as uneasy getting into beyond maybe sparring type of stuff for fitness, personally. Blunt force to the head scares the crap out of me! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

It'll go the same way as CM Punk's glorious MMA career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

More likely to be a Flintoff (probably where he got the idea!) pay a guy to fall make a documentary thing. Idris Elba did his own one last year too or the year before.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

VW 1 wrote: »

Kane has scored 80 PL goals, Lukaku 90,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/sep/18/rio-ferdinand-boxing-manchester-united-curtis-woodhouse

Rio Ferdinand will announce on Tuesday that he is to become a professional boxer at 38 in a dramatic change of career two years after his retirement from football.

According to various reports, the switch will be confirmed at a lunchtime press conference in east London. Ferdinand will confirm a bid to follow in the footsteps of other converts such at Curtis Woodhouse, the former Sheffield United player, who became British light-welterweight champion in 2014 before retiring from the sport.

Champagne supernova football as Manchester clubs stand apart – Football Weekly

Ferdinand has been working as a pundit for BT Sport since his last playing role in football, a season-long spell at Queens Park Rangers in 2014-15. His enthusiasm for boxing has been made public in the past, with Instagram videos having shown him in training and one photograph showing him posing with the world heavyweight champion, Anthony Joshua.

The six-times Premier League winner with Manchester United, who won 81 England caps, will have to apply for a professional boxing licence but will hope his previous successes translate into his new discipline.

Is he Merkin' again?

<3<3<3 loved berbatov I can't understand how people didn't rate him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

That second goal was absolute filth.

I loved that lazy Bulgarian bastard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

I wouldnt like to step into the ring with rio. He is an animal in serious shape.

jayo26 wrote: »
    <3<3<3 loved berbatov I can't understand how people didn't rate him.

Class footballer but unbelievable lazy attitude. His penalty miss v everton sums him up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,347 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

bangkok wrote: »
    I wouldnt like to step into the ring with rio. He is an animal in serious shape.

takes way more than being in shape. Takes hand speed, reactions, footwork, tactics, technique etc.

Sure, I wouldn't want to get in a ring with him - but much like I would bet on any good pro boxer to beat McGregor in the ring, I would bet on any decent pro boxer to beat Rio (or any new to boxing person) in the ring.

Unless he is fighting some absolute bum, he should be getting soundly beaten in a fair fight.

If its a passion of his then fair play to him for just going for it (he has the time and money to do so) but there is zero chance of him making an actual career out of it or putting down a real marker at the high levels.

Class footballer but unbelievable lazy attitude. His penalty miss v everton sums him up

I wouldn't be gauging his attitude on one penalty :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

There is nothing lazy about this..

This sums him up more than a ****in penalty miss.

Absolute class player

giphy.gif

Bangkok that's nonsense one penalty does not sum him up the performances he put.in for us and the sublime things he could do with a ball summed him up.

Yes he wasn't a runner but that's his game he was excellent value for money for us.

Huge difference between being in great shape and actually having ringcraft.The lad mightnt have a clue when he gets into the ring,the old Mike Tyson qoute springs to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Thats cos you know what he'd do with you..

Are ye still drunk... christ how many important penalties did Rooney and Ronaldo miss.. does that sum them up

If you're not careful I'm gonna put ye over my knee son...

That'll be far worse than anything Rio would do with ye in a boxing ring...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

Loving all the Berbatov love today. Great player!

• Advertisement

just for Bangkok

berbatov-dreams.jpeg

takes way more than being in shape. Takes hand speed, reactions, footwork, tactics, technique etc.

Sure, I wouldn't want to get in a ring with him - but much like I would bet on any good pro boxer to beat McGregor in the ring, I would bet on any decent pro boxer to beat Rio (or any new to boxing person) in the ring.

Unless he is fighting some absolute bum, he should be getting soundly beaten in a fair fight.

If its a passion of his then fair play to him for just going for it (he has the time and money to do so) but there is zero chance of him making an actual career out of it or putting down a real marker at the high levels.

How do you know this? Serious question. For all we know he could actually be very talented as a boxer. I'm not saying he is, but how can you say he isn't?

jayo26 wrote: »
    Bangkok that's nonsense one penalty does not sum him up the performances he put.in for us and the sublime things he could do with a ball summed him up.

Yes he wasn't a runner but that's his game he was excellent value for money for us.

His attitude in the interview after as well.

Like i said he was a class footballer, great when the team is winning, outrageous skill, i would compare him to ozil at arsenal though, brilliant when things are going well but when the chips are down and the backs are against the wall he wasnt up to it.

As some said earlier, he is probably going down the freddie flintoff route. He also has amazing drive and passion and if he was fighting some bum in his debut fight i will be backing him to win

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Shaw didn't play against Chelsea U23s, so looks like Shaw and McTominay will be involved tomorrow. Hopefully Shaw starts and plays full 90 mins.

His attitude in the interview after as well.

Like i said he was a class footballer, great when the team is winning, outrageous skill, i would compare him to ozil at arsenal though, brilliant when things are going well but when the chips are down and the backs are against the wall he wasnt up to it.

you could say the same about plenty of footballers.
    Cop yourself on would ye.

brinty wrote: »
    you could say the same about plenty of footballers.
    Cop yourself on would ye.

Its a valid argument. He didnt even make the bench for champione league final v barcelona

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Just heard on the radio that Kick it Out, the anti racism campaign, have written to united asking them to get fans to stop chanting the Lukaku big dick song.

Its a valid argument. He didnt even make the bench for champione league final v barcelona

Was that in the same season he was instrumental in winning a league title, was player of the month in January of that season and finished top scorer in the golden boot...

Yea he was terrible...

• Advertisement

brinty wrote: »
    Was that in the same season he was instrumental in winning a league title, was player of the month in January of that season and finished top scorer in the golden boot...

Yea he was terrible...

Where exactly did i say he was terrible??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement