Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

jayo26 wrote: »
    <3<3<3 loved berbatov I can't understand how people didn't rate him.

Did posters not rate him ? For me he was an insanely talented player who was a bit inconsistent for us.

He failed to step up to the plate when Rooney injured his ankle in 09/10 run in.

beno619 wrote: »
    Did posters not rate him ? For me he was an insanely talented player who was a bit inconsistent for us.

He failed to step up to the plate when Rooney injured his ankle in 09/10 run in.

Exactly how I would asses his performances for Utd. To be clear, I was only making the point that I wouldn't use a penalty as a stick to beat him with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Exactly how I would asses his performances for Utd. To be clear, I was only making the point that I wouldn't use a penalty as a stick to beat him with.

Exactly, ANYONE can take a bad penalty, pressure etc.

Berbatov was not the type of player who ran into channels like Lukaku, in the same way Hernandez doesn't hold up the play and bring people into the game like Zlatan did. He was a player that could turn a game with a moment of brilliance.

I seen this one guy, John Terry, he took this really poor penalty in a champions league final which concluded with some team called Manchester something or other winning it.

Didn't make me think the lad wasn't one of the best defenders the premiership had ever seen (even if he was a toe rag).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭xtal191

Match on TV tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,347 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

bangkok wrote: »
    His attitude in the interview after as well.

Like i said he was a class footballer, great when the team is winning, outrageous skill, i would compare him to ozil at arsenal though, brilliant when things are going well but when the chips are down and the backs are against the wall he wasnt up to it.

United put up a video of his hat trick against Liverpool showing that he did exactly what you are saying he didn't do. That's what actually started the whole Berbatov thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Think people are being a bit harsh on Bangkok.

Nowhere has he said that he should be eternally blamed for missing an important penalty. He appears to be saying that his super-laid back attitude contributed to that miss. This relaxed attitude also meant that certain parts of his game may have been lacking while at United.

He certainly hasn't said anywhere that he's 'terrible'. In fact he said he was 'class'. But it only takes 16 posts for any critique of a player to turn into "yeah he's terrible".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Think people are being a bit harsh on Bangkok.

Nowhere has he said that he should be eternally blamed for missing an important penalty. He appears to be saying that his super-laid back attitude contributed to that miss. This relaxed attitude also meant that certain parts of his game may have been lacking while at United.

He certainly hasn't said anywhere that he's 'terrible'. In fact he said he was 'class'. But it only takes 16 posts for any critique of a player to turn into "yeah he's terrible".

Well said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Was never a real fan of Berba at United. It was his signing that really contributed to the attack beginning to slow down and become more static. The play was slowed down a lot by him after the quick movement, interplay and lightening counters of the previous season. He would have bursts of scoring but wouldn't really be consistent throughout the entire season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

How do you know this? Serious question. For all we know he could actually be very talented as a boxer. I'm not saying he is, but how can you say he isn't?

Because otherwise that would have been his career? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Its a valid argument. He didnt even make the bench for champione league final v barcelona

Which Ferguson then went onto say was a mistake.

Ferguson who also has said in years gone by he totally misused Berbatov thinking he would be a #10, and only realised in that goal glut season he had a lethal 9.

Was a class player, still my favourite United player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,347 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

How do you know this? Serious question. For all we know he could actually be very talented as a boxer. I'm not saying he is, but how can you say he isn't?

Because he isn't a pro boxer. Maybe he has hit pads in training etc. So has McGregor. Maybe if Rio went the boxing route as a kid he'd have become world class at it - but he didn't. He's been a footballer for 25 years, not a boxer. there is a world of difference between someone who hits pads a bit and someone who has trained for years and come up through amateur ranks etc.

Rooney is a good boxer iirc - won comps as a kid and was considered a genuine talent (his brother became a boxer of some sort I think) but I would still think he would be taught a lesson by any decent pro boxer now.

Rio is a beast of a man - fantastic physique. I wish I had the dedication to being fit he obviously does. And, as I said, fair play to him for pursuing a dream - good luck to him. I would just be beyond shocked if he was capable of being anything other than a celebrity attraction in such an event. There are very talented boxers who work their entire lives to be the best that can be and don't make a dent on the professional scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

brinty wrote: »
    just for Bangkok

berbatov-dreams.jpeg

"don't ask me about my business Bangkok, don't ever ask me about my business"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Rooney is a good boxer iirc - won comps as a kid and was considered a genuine talent (his brother became a boxer of some sort I think) but I would still think he would be taught a lesson by any decent pro boxer now.

Or Phil Bardsley ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Not good enough for United they said

FB_IMG_1505826039906.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Those stats are just of United players.

Like, they are still amazing and hes been an incredible signing, but it looks like they are league stats, not team stats :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

It's very deceptive too aside from it only being for United. Central midfielders always top these sort of stats for their teams. Pogba has the highest average passes and average touches in the side he's just played less minutes so obviously has a lower total pass and total touches. So he's basically competing with nobody for these accolades.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Those stats are just of United players.

Like, they are still amazing and hes been an incredible signing, but it looks like they are league stats, not team stats :P

Thanks

giphy_1.gif

^HAHA @ TeamJayo

*Edit* Actually think I have made a new username for myself if I ever change my current one :D

1w4nrp.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    ^HAHA @ TeamJayo

*Edit* Actually think I have made a new username for myself if I ever change my current one :D

M^T!C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Its not that Matic was bad, Chelsea felt that Bakayoko offered them more.

Based on the 1st few games, I would say that Chelsea have done pretty good business. Traded in a 29 year old for a 23 year old.

In saying that, MU needed proven EPL quality, rather than wait for a settling in period so Matic is great from that point of view as well.

Leroy42 wrote: »

Based on the 1st few games, I would say that Chelsea have done pretty good business. Traded in a 29 year old for a 23 year old.

In saying that, MU needed proven EPL quality, rather than wait for a settling in period so Matic is great from that point of view as well.

I disagree with this logic.

If we finish above Chelsea thanks to Matic strengthening our team, then it won't have been a good deal for them by any stretch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Leroy42 wrote: »

This is all well and good until you see Matic with United rather than a team outide of the EPL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I disagree with this logic.

If we finish above Chelsea thanks to Matic strengthening our team, then it won't have been a good deal for them by any stretch.
    beakerjoe wrote: »
    This is all well and good until you see Matic with United rather than a team outide of the EPL.

Yes I agree with both os these, it was indeed a strange decision to sell to a direct rival.

However, I think Matic probably played a major role in this. He probably wanted to go with Jose, so Chelsea were faced with wanting Bakayoko and still being stuck with Matic. They don't need both and no point having a player that doesn't want to be there.

Doubt it was their 1st choice, but a pragmatic one. Top dollar and they get in a young midfielder.

It all depends on whether they believe Bakayoko is the better option. They may have added to MU but if they believe that Bakayoko is better then the relative is they are still ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Rashford nominated for the golden boy award again.

Rashford nominated for the golden boy award again.

What's point sire they should just give it to mbappe now save the hassle.

jayo26 wrote: »
    What's point sire they should just give it to mbappe now save the hassle.

Should do same with ballon dor just give it to ronaldo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

What has been the best goal of the year so far?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Hococop wrote: »

I got one in April from the right wing, beat two guys inside outside, dinked over a tackle and half volley in off far post, keepers back and in.

You'll have to take my word but I'm voting for that.

• Advertisement

Valencia goal is the best goal for united anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Pogba's against Swansea.

Am I right in thinking Martial was about to score a sweet counter attack goal until Schneiderlin put his hand in the way. I never got to see a replay of the entire move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Am I right in thinking Martial was a to score a sweet counter attack goal until Schneiderlin put his hand in the way. I never got to see a replay of the entire move.

Correct, had Morgan not hand balled it Martial was clean through one on one and he's pretty good in that scenario.

Am I right in thinking Martial was a to score a sweet counter attack goal until Schneiderlin put his hand in the way. I never got to see a replay of the entire move.

Definitely would have gotten the chance to. Now, he might have scuffed it wide or something, but he was clean-through and destined to pull the trigger only for the trailing arm of Schneiderlin.

Full build-up and penalty...

https://streamable.com/bzagd

The initial ball out was a bit of a hit and hope but Martial did extremely well to make something out of the it and his quick feet to get the initial space inside the box was lovely stuff.

Well played Anthony, well played.

• Advertisement

user2011 wrote: »
    Pogba's against Swansea.

Pogba's wasnt even nominated for august goal of the month. Won united goal of the month alright but valencias goal at the weekend was an unbelievable strike

:D

:D

Now now, we have to play Burton tomorrow. eusa_naughty.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Has to be said, how klopp thought his defense was fine (suits us obviously), ignore vvd, he should have easily got a£30 million defender no bother

Honeymoon period over I'd say, media could start to grill him now

You'd honestly thinkVVD was the only CB in world football the way they acted in the summer. Madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Klopps a character so it's fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Has to be said, how klopp thought his defense was fine (suits us obviously), ignore vvd, he should have easily got a£30 million defender no bother

I don't rate VVD but he sure is better than what they've got right now. Find it crazy how Klopp and also Wenger didn't both bring in CBs this summer. Being exposed big time and its only September. Happy days though :P

The media ****ing better. Gets away with murder IMO

Jayop wrote: »
    You'd honestly thinkVVD was the only CB in world football the way they acted in the summer. Madness.

Reminds me of Moyes and Fabregas, but at least we still got Fellaini. That sort of tunnel vision is bad. Shame too. I genuinely like Klopp, thought he'd do far, far better at Pool but he's struggling so badly now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Pogba's wasnt even nominated for august goal of the month. Won united goal of the month alright but valencias goal at the weekend was an unbelievable strike

not disputing it was a stunner, I just, the feels I felt when pogs clipped that ball over the keeper was fcuking unreal for me. The move started in our own box, passed to pogba, pogba passes to mhiki and then sets off on a run to get ahead of him recieves it back and with absolute composure dinks it over the keeper.

personal thing.

Reminds me of Moyes and Fabregas, but at least we still got Fellaini. That sort of tunnel vision is bad. Shame too. I genuinely like Klopp, thought he'd do far, far better at Pool but he's struggling so badly now.

I used to like him too./

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

astradave wrote: »

giphy.gif

Berbasex!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    Berbasex!!!!!!!!

giphy.gif

Win ratios....

Moyes at Man Utd: 52.9%

Klopp at Liverpool: 50.5%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

The 40m wasted on OX would have gotten them a major upgrade at CB.
    It was a very poor transfer window from him imo.Honeymoon period well and truly over only a matter of time for the press to get on his case.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement