Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Jayop wrote: »
    Tough draw.

Unless there's a serious improvement in Swansea's performances between now and when we meet them, i don't see it like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Good draw. Happy Shaw got some time. Strange he kept cutting inside....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

user2011 wrote: »
    Unless there's a serious improvement in Swansea's performances between now and when we meet them, i don't see it like that.

Plenty of worse teams, but plenty of better teams. Would have liked a home draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Nice to see all of the top teams making it threw...

jayo26 wrote: »

I'm loving these recent golden nuggets from TeamJayo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Enjoyed Martial's performance, he was superb.

All the attackers played well, Lindard's movement and overall play was very good. Rashford took his goals superbly. Martial was my MOTM.

Also Mata even though didn't score or assist (unlucky on both) was very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Can't ask for much more than that, I wanted them to go out and tear through Burton and thats what they did. Its crazy the difference in play from this team between now and 2 years ago, what you saw tonight was a very well coached side playing very fast and incisive football. Thats no accident.

They tailed off towards the end and the late goal conceded was disappointing. Martial did very well, he was prepared to constantly carry the ball past defenders which is what we want him doing in every game, but which he doesn't always do with consistency. He wasted a few finishes but I'm not so worried about that, keep making those surging runs and the end product will follow.

So a comprehensive win. That was only the first thing I wanted from the squad players and Martial though, now he needs to go out and do the same against a PL side. And then do it again, and again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

jayo26 wrote: »

Oh god no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Also, rashford for the golden boy the little legend!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

jayo26 wrote:

That's the boy jayo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

In five home games this season, the aggregate score is 17-1.

4-0 West Ham, 2-0 Leicester, 3-0 Basel, 4-0 Everton, 4-1 Burton

After the last few years, home fans must be thrilled to see those sorts of shorelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Lord TSC wrote: »

After the last few years, home fans must be thrilled to see those sorts of shorelines.

Phil is anyway!

Phil-Jones.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Lord TSC wrote: »

and the beauty is that we have not been 100% either. Much improved even from last season, but we can improve and that's very pleasing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

What Lukaka brings to the team cannot be understated.

I love Zlatan and all but he remainded sedentary for much of last year's Games, it was his individual brilliance and god like touch that yielded so many goals.

But with Rom he is constantly on the move, dragging defenders out of position and leaving spaces for our creative players like Mikhi to play into and for pacy players like Rashers or Tony M to run into. We are a completely different animal this time and one has to suspect that was Joses plan all along. Steady the ship last year and bring us forward this year.Well

Exciting times at the club.

^On that point BC, it's still great to have another alternative option in Zlatan.
    It's the individual brilliance we may need in situations in the later stages of the season or in knock out competitions.

• Advertisement

And maybe griezemann in january as well.

Rumours of ozil joining next summer. Dont know how i would feel about that as he is the ultimate luxury player but on a free i wouldnt be against it

On another positive we won't have to hear that over half our goals were scored in the last ten minutes as if it's some big negative for a while. I suppose it'll just be league goals they talk about next while trying to justify that we still suck. Some of the podcasts are hilarious how much gymnastics they do to try to make out that we're playing rubbish football. Some of the moves this season have just been unbelievable.

Young McTomminey is a bit of a wardrobe too isn't he. Looks like he has a good bit of football in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,348 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

On another positive we won't have to hear that over half our goals were scored in the last ten minutes as if it's some big negative for a while. I suppose it'll just be league goals they talk about next while trying to justify that we still suck. Some of the podcasts are hilarious how much gymnastics they do to try to make out that we're playing rubbish football. Some of the moves this season have just been unbelievable.

I think that stat is actually a massive positive for United this season, and demonstrates a big change in our approach vs last season. Last season if we were winning 1-0 with 15 or 20 (or 30!) to go we'd shut up shop and play defensive to the end, trying to protect that lead.

This season not only are we trying to get a second, but we are using that deflating second (if it comes) to provide the platform to really go for the kill at the end too.

As I say, it is a massive attitude difference, and one we have been crying out for, for years imo.

bangkok wrote: »
    And maybe griezemann in january as well.

Rumours of ozil joining next summer. Dont know how i would feel about that as he is the ultimate luxury player but on a free i wouldnt be against it

Personally don't think we get Greizman in January, though I'd love it.

Ozil I see zero chance of. We have Mata and, more specifically, Mkhitaryan, in his position. I know he did very well under Mourinho previously at Madrid, but I just can't see the need to go for him now - particularly if we were to get Greizman, as I think he would take a starting spot from Mata/Mkhitaryan as it is. Suppose though, a 'free' transfer that ads depth to the quality of squad choices isn't something to be discounted.

• Advertisement

I think that stat is actually a massive positive for United this season, and demonstrates a big change in our approach vs last season. Last season if we were winning 1-0 with 15 or 20 (or 30!) to go we'd shut up shop and play defensive to the end, trying to protect that lead.

This season not only are we trying to get a second, but we are using that deflating second (if it comes) to provide the platform to really go for the kill at the end too.

As I say, it is a massive attitude difference, and one we have been crying out for, for years imo.

Oh I agree with that big time. It's being spun as a negative though in some quarters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

The scoring late goals thing is like a call back to the team under Ferguson. Can't remember which ex player said it, but he instructed the team to up the intensity at the end of each half.

Personally don't think we get Greizman in January, though I'd love it.

Ozil I see zero chance of. We have Mata and, more specifically, Mkhitaryan, in his position. I know he did very well under Mourinho previously at Madrid, but I just can't see the need to go for him now - particularly if we were to get Greizman, as I think he would take a starting spot from Mata/Mkhitaryan as it is. Suppose though, a 'free' transfer that ads depth to the quality of squad choices isn't something to be discounted.

I wouldnt like ozil, think he is a waster. Good when things going well but like i said, free transfer, we could get him for nothing i wouldnt say no to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Wouldn't particularly want Ozil ,could player when it suits him.
    Griezemann added to the attack along with full backs over the next 2 windows would be my thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

It's more than a coincidence that we're finishing games ridiculously strongly. Such a contrast from last season when we just looked so bloody toothless all the time.

Against Swansea, West Ham and Everton, the games were conceivably in the melting pot at 80 minutes and an opposition goal would have made for a shaky ending but we just ruthlessly killed them all.

Lads, is Saturdays game on D Tele?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Lads, is Saturdays game on D Tele?

It is in Ireland yeah, on the sky sports football Ireland channel

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Press Release
    Manchester United plc 2017 Fourth Quarter and Full Year Results
    Sep. 21, 2017 7:00 AM
    RECORD TOTAL REVENUE OF £581.2 MILLION
    RECORD ADJUSTED EBITDA OF £199.8 MILLION
    RECORD OPERATING PROFIT OF £80.8 MILLION
    MANCHESTER, England--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Manchester United (NYSE: MANU; the “Company” and the “Group”) – one of the most popular and successful sports teams in the world - today announced financial results for the 2017 fiscal fourth quarter and twelve months ended 30 June 2017.
    Highlights
    Won the UEFA Europa League and qualified for 2017/18 UEFA Champions League
    Won two domestic trophies in the 2016/17 Season – EFL Cup and Community Shield
    12 Sponsorship deals announced during the fiscal year:

9 global sponsorship partnerships
    1 regional sponsorship partnership, and
    2 financial services and MUTV partnerships
    Commentary
    Ed Woodward, Executive Vice Chairman, commented, “We concluded a successful 2016/17 season with a total of three trophies and a return to Champions League football. The year saw us set record revenues of over £581m and achieve a record EBITDA of £199.8m. We are pleased with the investment in our squad and look forward to an exciting season.”
    Outlook
    For fiscal 2018, Manchester United expect:
    Revenue to be £575m to £585m
    Adjusted EBITDA to be £175m to £185m
    Key Financials (unaudited)
    £ million (except earnings per share) Twelve months ended
    30 June
    Three months ended
    30 June

2017 2016 Change 2017 2016 Change
    Commercial revenue 275.5 268.3 2.7% 67.9 65.2 4.1%
    Broadcasting revenue 194.1 140.4 38.2% 81.1 47.7 70.0%
    Matchday revenue 111.6 106.6 4.7% 26.9 21.6 24.5%
    Total revenue 581.2 515.3 12.8% 175.9 134.5 30.8%
    Adjusted EBITDA1 199.8 191.9 4.1% 69.6 49.3 41.2%
    Operating profit 80.8 68.9 17.3% 41.1 3.6 1,041.7%

Profit/(loss) for the period (i.e. net income) 39.2 36.4 7.7% 24.3 (0.9) -
    Basic earnings/(loss) per share 23.88 22.19 7.6% 14.79 (0.58) -
    Adjusted profit for the period (i.e. adjusted net income)1 34.8 40.8 (14.7%) 22.9 8.7 163.2%
    Adjusted basic earnings per share (pence)1 21.20 24.91 (14.9%) 13.98 5.31 163.3%

Net debt1/2 213.1 260.9 (18.3%) 213.1 260.9 (18.3%)
    1 Adjusted EBITDA, adjusted profit for the period, adjusted basic earnings per share and net debt are non-IFRS measures. See “Non-IFRS Measures: Definitions and Use” below and the accompanying Supplemental Notes for the definitions and reconciliations for these non-IFRS measures and the reasons we believe these measures provide useful information to investors regarding the Group’s financial condition and results of operations.
    2 The gross USD debt principal remains unchanged.
    Revenue Analysis
    Commercial
    Commercial revenue for the year was £275.5 million, an increase of £7.2 million, or 2.7%, over the prior year.
    Sponsorship revenue was £162.3 million, an increase of £2.2 million, or 1.4%, over the prior year.
    Retail, Merchandising, Apparel & Product Licensing revenue was £104.0 million, an increase of £6.7 million, or 6.9%, over the prior year, primarily due to a full year contribution from the adidas agreement, compared to only 11 months in the prior year, plus growth in Megastore revenue.
    Mobile & Content revenue was £9.2 million, a decrease of £1.7 million, or 15.6%, over the prior year.
    For the quarter, commercial revenue was £67.9 million, an increase of £2.7 million, or 4.1%, over the prior year quarter.
    Sponsorship revenue was £39.6 million, an increase of £2.0 million, or 5.3%, over the prior year quarter.
    Retail, Merchandising, Apparel & Product Licensing revenue was £25.8 million, an increase of £0.9 million, or 3.6%, over the prior year quarter.
    Mobile & Content revenue was £2.5 million, a decrease of £0.2 million, or 7.4%, over the prior year quarter.
    Broadcasting
    Broadcasting revenue for the year was £194.1 million, an increase of £53.7 million, or 38.2%, over the prior year, primarily due to the new Premier League broadcasting rights agreement plus progression to, and success in winning, the UEFA Europa League final.
    Broadcasting revenue for the quarter was £81.1 million, an increase of £33.4 million, or 70.0%, over the prior year quarter, primarily due to the new Premier League broadcasting rights agreement plus progression to, and success in winning, the UEFA Europa League final.
    Matchday
    Matchday revenue for the year was £111.6 million, an increase of £5.0 million, or 4.7%, over the prior year, primarily due to playing two more home games in the year.
    Matchday revenue for the quarter was £26.9 million, an increase of £5.3 million, or 24.5%, over the prior year quarter, primarily due to playing two more home games in the quarter.
    Other Financial Information
    Operating expenses
    Total operating expenses for the year were £511.3 million, an increase of £74.7 million, or 17.1%, over the prior year.
    Employee benefit expenses
    Employee benefit expenses for the year were £263.5 million, an increase of £31.3 million, or 13.5%, over the prior year, primarily due to an increase in first team salaries, following investment in the first team squad.
    Other operating expenses
    Other operating expenses for the year were £117.9 million, an increase of £26.7 million, or 29.3%, over the prior year, primarily due to the impact of playing more games in the year as a result of progression in domestic and European cup competitions.
    Depreciation and amortization
    Depreciation for the year was £10.3 million, an increase of £0.2 million, or 2.0%, over the prior year. Amortization for the year was £124.4 million, an increase of £36.4 million, or 41.4%, over the prior year quarter. The unamortized balance of players’ registrations at 30 June 2017 was £290.6 million.
    Exceptional items
    Exceptional credit for the year was £4.8 million, relating to a reversal of a player registration impairment charge for a player considered to be re-established as a member of the first team playing squad. Exceptional costs for the prior year were £15.1 million.
    Profit/(loss) on disposal of intangible assets
    Profit on disposal of intangible assets for the year was £10.9 million, compared to a loss of £9.8 million for the prior year. The profit on disposal of intangible assets for the year included the disposals of McNair (Sunderland), Schneiderlin (Everton) and Schweinsteiger (Chicago Fire).
    Net finance costs
    Net finance costs for the year were £24.3 million, an increase of £4.3 million, or 21.5%, over the prior year. The increase was primarily due to fair value movements on derivatives, partially offset by favourable, unrealised foreign exchange movements.
    Tax
    The tax expense for the year was £17.3 million, compared to £12.5 million in the prior year, primarily due to the increase in profit before tax and a reduction in foreign exchange gains on US dollar denominated deferred tax assets.
    Cash flows
    Net cash generated from operating activities for the year was £227.7 million, an increase of £41.6 million over the prior year.
    Net capital expenditure on property, plant and equipment for the year was £8.3 million, an increase of £3.2 million over the prior year.
    Net capital expenditure on intangible assets for the year was £142.0 million, an increase of £42.3 million over the prior year.
    Overall cash and cash equivalents (including the effects of exchange rate movements) increased by £61.1 million in the year.
    Net debt
    Net Debt as of 30 June 2017 was £213.1 million, a decrease of £47.8 million over the year. The gross USD debt principal remains unchanged.
    Conference Call Information
    The Company’s conference call to review fiscal 2017 and fourth quarter results will be broadcast live over the internet today, 21 September 2017 at 8:00 a.m. Eastern Time and will be available on Manchester United’s investor relations website at http://ir.manutd.com. Thereafter, a replay of the webcast will be available for thirty days.
    About Manchester United
    Manchester United is one of the most popular and successful sports team in the world, playing one of the most popular spectator sports on Earth.
    Through our 139-year heritage we have won 66 trophies, enabling us to develop the world’s leading sports brand and a global community of 659 million followers. Our large, passionate community provides Manchester United with a worldwide platform to generate significant revenue from multiple sources, including sponsorship, merchandising, product licensing, new media and mobile, broadcasting and matchday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

tl;dr version

ROUKY5.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Ed needs to pull his socks up, haven't had a signing in weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Oh I agree with that big time. It's being spun as a negative though in some quarters.
    I also agree that we are slightly more ambitious towards the end of our games which is reaping substantial rewards but the talk I've heard in the media doesn't strike me as being negative spin or claiming that we're playing rubbish football.

From what I've read and heard people are saying that our scorelines give a slightly skewed perception that we've being steam rolling teams. They've been quick (and correct) to say that because the goals have come in the last 10 minutes the games have actually been in the balance going into the final quarter. 4 out of our 5 league games have been "live" going into the 80th minute. I know I was very uncomfortable from the 70th - 80th minute against Everton as they emptied the bench and pushed forward. I'm pretty sure if you look at the thread you'll see plenty of comments worrying about an equaliser.

It's great that we've soaked up the pressure and gone on to pull away and I don't think anyone is taking this away from united. I think they're saying that the final scores of our league games may give a false impression as to how dominant we've been.

What I've heard is that the goals we've scored aren't worth as much than the same record city have because so many of them have been late. This is largely from football podcasts and a lot of people on those would be very partisan anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Not sure if it interests anybody here but on Fifa 18 Ultimate Team this year they have added Demi Mitchell, Angel Gomes, Callum Gribbon and Scott McTominey.

How much was the total debt on the club after the takeover? It's down to just over £210m now, but was £260m a year ago. It's going to be gone in the next 4 or 5 seasons at that rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

How much was the total debt on the club after the takeover? It's down to just over £210m now, but was £260m a year ago. It's going to be gone in the next 4 or 5 seasons at that rate.

That would be nice to see , I know it fluctuates with the market and currency

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Sky reporting Costa will be having a medical at Athletico this afternoon in a deal worth for 53 million pounds.

Greizmann to united?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

AidoEirE wrote: »
    Sky reporting Costa will be having a medical at Athletico this afternoon in a deal worth for 53 million pounds.

Greizmann to united?

Hopefully but that is crazy money for costa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

The debt remained the same in USD, I don't think United are too interested in paying it off, they can operate fine as is.

The interesting part is United get none of the market pool (TV money) from the Champs League as they qualified through the EL, they will only get money depending on how well they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Hococop wrote: »

For a lad that hasnt played much football the last few months id think so. Dont think it'll take him long though to get back where he needs to be.

More importantly hopefully greizmann will feel his promise to athletico is fulfilled and we can get him.
    Id be suprised if a deal wasnt done during the summer

Hococop wrote: »

They will get 90m for griezmann anyway so i doubt they care. Also costa is a proven goalscorer so good business for them

AidoEirE wrote: »
    For a lad that hasbt played much football the last few months id think so. Dont think it'll take him long though to get back where he needs to be.

If they had bought him in the summer he wouldn't have played any football either. makes no odds really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Lots of mutterings across the internet this morning about how good Martial is and how he has a higher ceiling than Rashford and is ready to start every game. I am really not sure that he has shown us that his consistency is any different to previous years and he still looks better as an impact sub for now. What do you guys think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Lots of mutterings across the internet this morning about how good Martial is and how he has a higher ceiling than Rashford and is ready to start every game. I am really not sure that he has shown us that his consistency is any different to previous years and he still looks better as an impact sub for now. What do you guys think?

I think Martial does and I think Martial has more natural talent, whereas I think Rashford has a better attitude and has that determination to better himself continuously. Absolutely delighted with how both are playing so far this season, great to have them competing with eachother, tho I think Martial is more suited to playing upfront, rather than on the wing.

I think Martial does and I think Martial has more natural talent, whereas I think Rashford has a better attitude and has that determination to better himself continuously. Absolutely delighted with how both are playing so far this season, great to have them competing with eachother, tho I think Martial is more suited to playing upfront, rather than on the wing.

Rashford should have a better career so. Talent only gets you so far

• Advertisement

Rashford should have a better career so. Talent only gets you so far

One shouldn't assume "Rashford has a better attitude" = "Martial has a bad one".

One shouldn't assume "Rashford has a better attitude" = "Martial has a bad one".

Of course not but a great attitude is higher up the list than having more ability

Plus, there are plenty of whispers that Jose was totally unimpressed with Martials attitude, last season anyway.

Of course not but a great attitude is higher up the list than having more ability

While his attitude was questionable last season, I think it's improved alot this season. You could see how much that goal meant to him last night, if he keeps up this hunger for the season, we'll have 2 monsters on our hands for the foreseeable future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

While his attitude was questionable last season, I think it's improved alot this season. You could see how much that goal meant to him last night, if he keeps up this hunger for the season, we'll have 2 monsters on our hands for the foreseeable future.

Martial has always been a badgekisser always shows his love for the fans. I don't think he has ever had a bad attitude he just didn't do everything the way Jose wanted but that could be down to getting used to each other.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement