Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I'd love for Jose to find a way of playing both either side of Lukaku with Mkhitaryan behind and see how they get on interchanging for 90 minutes.

It would be interesting to see Martials quick feet being utilised on the right bringing him away from goal towards the byline as opposed to always cutting in to potential traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Reading twitter and I see one Chelsea fan saying they sold Costa to Atletico so United can sign Griezmann.

I wonder if the Griezmann release clause which was changed to €200 million up to the end of December is so he can be sold in January? I wouldn't be surprised if United and Atletico had an agreement based on the outcome of the possible transfer ban. That they had agreed a deal and that Griezmann would stay if the ban was enforced, and sold after the ban was lifted to United.

Talk too that United are looking to sign Sanchez on a free next summer. United have been quoted a signing on fee of £25 million for his transfer next summer according to Neil Custis who despite being a Sun sport's journalist, he does appear on MUTV from time to time and was correct when he announced two years ago United were interested Neymar when he was ridiculed - later confirmed by Neymar sr.

Might not be great for Mata if we do get both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

RobertKK wrote: »
    Reading twitter and I see one Chelsea fan saying they sold Costa to Atletico so United can sign Griezmann.

I wonder if the Griezmann release clause which was changed to €200 million up to the end of December is so he can be sold in January? I wouldn't be surprised if United and Atletico had an agreement based on the outcome of the possible transfer ban. That they had agreed a deal and that Griezmann would stay if the ban was enforced, and sold after the ban was lifted to United.

Talk too that United are looking to sign Sanchez on a free next summer. United have been quoted a signing on fee of £25 million for his transfer next summer according to Neil Custis who despite being a Sun sport's journalist, he does appear on MUTV from time to time and was correct when he announced two years ago United were interested Neymar when he was ridiculed - later confirmed by Neymar sr.

Mata is not a spring chicken (hits 30 in March) so if they're good deals for the club he would understand. But saying that Greizemann and Sanchez are not that young either ; 27 in March and 29 in December respectively. If that hinders the progress of Martial and Rashford I'm not sure how happy i'd be about it..

I think it'd be a case of either or rather than both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I know it was only Burton but thought Mata looked far better than Mkhi has in the previous games. Put the pacy lads around him and make hay imo. Even if it means Mkhi gets less gametime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Liam O wrote: »
    I know it was only Burton but thought Mata looked far better than Mkhi has in the previous games. Put the pacy lads around him and make hay imo. Even if it means Mkhi gets less gametime.

Same thing happens after marriage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Surprisingly, Lukaku has asked people to stop singing about his dick...

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/910896413537644551

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

J. Marston wrote: »
    Surprisingly, Lukaku has asked people to stop singing about his dick...

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/910896413537644551

He is our Belgian scoring genius,
    He may have a penis,
    Scoring loads of goals,
    He has ten toes..

Fixed it for them easy.

To the tune of 'To Be With You' by Mr. Big...

Scoring 5 in 5, it's Romelu
    Playing Rashford through, it's Romelu
    We saved him from a job down with the Blues
    Now it's raining goals, it's Lukaku

What d'ya think lads, have I found my calling?:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

RobertKK wrote: »

I'd be pretty disgusted if we signed Sanchez to be honest, especially if we were giving him that kind of signing on fee. I think he has started his decline and he would definitely cause issues in terms of squad harmony. He gives away an awful lot of possession trying to do it all too. He is the exact opposite of the kind of player we need. I'd actually rather Lingard over Sanchez even if the cost was the same.

Griezmann would be great. I think he could easily come into the group we have without ruffling any feathers. He isn't an abrasive character and he doesn't seem to have a big ego.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Aye Sanchez has gone way down in my opinion. His behavior on the bench is a joke from a highly paid professional footballer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Jayop wrote: »
    Aye Sanchez has gone way down in my opinion. His behavior on the bench is a joke from a highly paid professional footballer.

And welbecks has gone up another level. Excellent start to the season and would have kept sanchez out of the team only for injury

To the tune of 'To Be With You' by Mr. Big...

Scoring 5 in 5, it's Romelu
    Playing Rashford through, it's Romelu
    We saved him from a job down with the Blues
    Now it's raining goals, it's Lukaku

What d'ya think lads, have I found my calling?:pac:

Better then my effort anyway Stu ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Lukaku
    He is brilliant
    We love him
    He scores goals
    Lukaku

Instant hit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Catchy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Obviously Rom-el-u Lu-kaku to the tune of We Will Rock You is the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

To the tune of Agadoo.

Rom - eh - lu - lu - lu

He's from Belgium, he gets goals

Rom - eh - lu - lu - lu

Shove Morata up yer holes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

It's a **** chant anyway.
    Nalz wrote: »
    Lukaku
    He is brilliant
    We love him
    He scores goals
    Lukaku

Instant hit

Winners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,348 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Rom-eh-lu - won't sing bout your penis though some want to do.
    Rom-eh-lu - you score goals and we love you too!

(Waterloo)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

jayo26 wrote: »
    He is our Belgian scoring genius,
    He may have a penis,
    Scoring loads of goals,
    He has ten toes..

Fixed it for them easy.

He's our Belgian scoring genius
    We can't sing about his penis
    Cause we're politically correct
    Offside when erect

• Advertisement

^Pure Gold

TheDoctor wrote: »
    He's our Belgian scoring genius
    We can't sing about his penis
    Cause we're politically correct
    Offside when erect

Seen that a few days ago on United chants it's pretty funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

So who starts tomorrow, rashford or martial?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Rashford will start.

bangkok wrote: »
    So who starts tomorrow, rashford or martial?

Ashley young ha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

I liked the adapted Falcao chant that we had at the start of the season for big Rom

• Advertisement

Jose just saying that martial is a happier person this year his mood is better.

It really looks like a lot if his off the field troubles impact him a lot last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Andy Mitten says Old Trafford needs to be spruced up...

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport/football/andy-mitten-manchester-united-must-13657766.amp

What do people think? Probably blasphemy to some but I think knocking it and building something state-of-the-art like Atlanta's Mercedes-Benz stadium would be class...

Falcons%2520Stadium%2520orig%2520170725D0088.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport/football/andy-mitten-manchester-united-must-13657766.amp

What do people think? Probably blasphemy to some but I think knocking it and building something state-of-the-art like Atlanta's Mercedes-Benz stadium would be class...

Never going to happen, at least in the near future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I don't disagree with his point that development needs to always be in the clubs mind. However, if the club were to develop the stadium further I hope they retain a lot of its current aesthetic rather than going for whatever fashion is in vogue these days. There is something iconic about Old Trafford that will be lost by replacing it with some knobend arthouse style fanciness.

Yes make improvements to the facilities and add seats, but keep that imposing, simple style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Agree it defo needs investment but a redevelopment rather then knocking would be my preferred choice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,348 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i'd have no issue with United building a new stadium - can be built right beside the current stadium on land the club already own.

As far as I have read, it is something that has been looked at by United/Glazers a number of times.

If a new stadium was build, I do think it would be very important to retain the history of the club. a new Munich Tunnel, pride of place for the trinity statue, fergie statue - maybe keeping the Fergie/Bobby/Busby/Stretford End stand names etc.

I reckon a new stadium is quite likely - OT isn't able to host concerts due to current config as far as I know. A new stadium could better incorporate exec boxes, host other events etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I disagree with his opinion of the sloping roof being a mistake or whatever way he put it. I think the South stand would look ridiculous if the roofs from the 3 other stands went straight outward. St James Park is an example of a horrible mismatch of roof heights.

In saying that I would be in favour of them taking the roofs off completely, building up the South stand, and then re roofing the whole thing with a better looking roof.

I haven’t been to Old Trafford in a good few years but I’ve always loved the atmosphere and the roof sloping down always kept my focus on the pitch instead of looking skyward.

I'd be desperately sad to lose old Trafford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

To the tune of Agadoo.

Rom - eh - lu - lu - lu

He's from Belgium, he gets goals

Rom - eh - lu - lu - lu

Shove Morata up yer holes

Not bad lads, not bad!

I'd be desperately sad to lose old Trafford.

I share the sentiment but with a new stadium being built within spitting distance I think it softens the blow much like Arsenal done and Spurs are doing.

As Mitch said, you could take some stuff from the old stadium and bring it to the new like the red bricked dugout, reinstate the old players tunnel too.

Call it New Trafford.

Let's be honest The Chevrolet Arena is much more likely.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

A new stadium could better incorporate exec boxes, host other events etc.

Pretty sure OT still has some of the best corporate facilities in football. Utd have the highest matchday income in the Premier League. Are Utd really bothered with hosting concerts? Can't imagine it'd that much of a money spinner for a club the size of Utd.

Let's be honest The Chevrolet Arena is much more likely.

The Chevrolet Movie Theatre of dreams.

You kids won't get the reference though. ;)

Can't imagine it'd that much of a money spinner for a club the size of Utd.

Manchester United have an official global mattress and pillow partner, they are very much into maximising the spinning of money wherever they can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

i'd have no issue with United building a new stadium - can be built right beside the current stadium on land the club already own.

As far as I have read, it is something that has been looked at by United/Glazers a number of times.

If a new stadium was build, I do think it would be very important to retain the history of the club. a new Munich Tunnel, pride of place for the trinity statue, fergie statue - maybe keeping the Fergie/Bobby/Busby/Stretford End stand names etc.

I reckon a new stadium is quite likely - OT isn't able to host concerts due to current config as far as I know. A new stadium could better incorporate exec boxes, host other events etc.

Was going to ask this actually...you allways hear of United buying land around OT so if they could build a new stadium and then demolish the old one would be a great idea

• Advertisement

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Was going to ask this actually...you allways hear of United buying land around OT so if they could build a new stadium and then demolish the old one would be a great idea

I was actually just about to ask if Old Trafford would be demolished or if it could be used for another purpose such as a redeveloped indoor concert arena or something? If the new stadium wasn’t going to be built within a few hundred metres then maybe keeping it alive would be an option?

A brand new stadium a few hundred metres away would be unreal. My only worries with new stadiums are the distance of fans from the pitch and the general blandness of designs inside and out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

I wouldnt think it needs to be demolished

I would like to see the South Stand mirroring the North Stand so the Stadium is enclosed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

OFF TOPIC POST INCOMING!!!

Apologies, from seeing something on Facebook earlier I got and idea. I have just returned to college this September, well when I say return I mean I am going to 3rd level for the first time ever at the grand old age of 31. As part of one of modules I have to start and maintain a weekly blog, I will be putting the link to it in my sig as soon as it becomes live as I think it would be great to get feedback and share it around among you lot as that is one of the main aims of it. All feedback welcome, positive and negative, but do go easy on an oul fella if ye do give it a look!

Hope ye enjoy it also obviously, but it will not be sport related, mostly it will be informal blogs about the financial sector and business world in general. Sorry for the off topic

OFF TOPIC POST OUTGOING!!!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Man City, Werewolf games and now financial blogs. What has this thread come to?? ;)

I would like to see the South Stand mirroring the North Stand so the Stadium is enclosed.

I think the cost associated with doing that is being weighed against just building a brand new stadium 100 metres away with a larger capacity. My guess is United would go for a stadium that would hold 100k if they were to do it.

My only concern about redeveloping the South stand is the change in tv camera angle! Its been in that position my entite life, it’d be weird if it changed. Anfields change is better as theirs was too low down before, but ours is perfect.

Best of luck stringer hope it goes well for you pal.

Maybe you could base some of it around the financial status and setup of a business like man United.... that would keep us interested ;);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

OFF TOPIC POST INCOMING!!!

Apologies, from seeing something on Facebook earlier I got and idea. I have just returned to college this September, well when I say return I mean I am going to 3rd level for the first time ever at the grand old age of 31. As part of one of modules I have to start and maintain a weekly blog, I will be putting the link to it in my sig as soon as it becomes live as I think it would be great to get feedback and share it around among you lot as that is one of the main aims of it. All feedback welcome, positive and negative, but do go easy on an oul fella if ye do give it a look!

Hope ye enjoy it also obviously, but it will not be sport related, mostly it will be informal blogs about the financial sector and business world in general. Sorry for the off topic

OFF TOPIC POST OUTGOING!!!

Piggy backing off this post. I have also started a blog that went live today about coaching football abroad. You can find it on the soccer coaching forum. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

What would a new stadium cost ? £1 billion -2b ?
    Wembley cost 800m tens years ago and Spurs 61k stadium is projected to be 750m

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Piggy backing off this post. I have also started a blog that went live today about coaching football abroad. You can find it on the soccer coaching forum. ;)

Cool sounds interesting :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Doesn't the railway not mean that the cost to develop the south stand far outweigh the benefits we'd get so a new development might be the best option?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement