Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

yabadabado wrote: »
    What would a new stadium cost ? £1 billion -2b ?
    Wembley cost 800m tens years ago and Spurs 61k stadium is projected to be 750m

Make official partners of the builders and wherever they buy their stuff, get it all built for free then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

What would a new stadium cost ? £1 billion -2b ?
    Wembley cost 800m tens years ago and Spurs 61k stadium is projected to be 750m

That new Atlanta stadium which is unreal looking it has to be said is meant to have cost around 1.2 billion.

Mercedes-Benz Stadium. Look it up if you haven't seen it. Seriously impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

That new Atlanta stadium which is unreal looking it has to be said is meant to have cost around 1.2 billion.

It's is very impressive looking and there is a great time lapse video on you tube of it.
    That stadium is 20-30k less than what I'd expect United would want if building new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

That place can only hold 42,500 people for a soccer match. Surely to justify building a new stadium United would be wanting an initial capacity of well over 80k.

Jayop wrote: »
    That place can only hold 42,500 people for a soccer match. Surely to justify building a new stadium United would be wanting an initial capacity of well over 80k.

I thought it held 70k ?

• Advertisement

I thought it held 70k ?

Capacity Football: 71,000
    (expandable to 83,000)
    Soccer: 42,500
    (expandable to 71,000)[2][3]

I think you're right actually. The top tier looks closed off in that configuration.

170714_MLS%20Bowl_01_MBS.jpg?k_Az0OoDRBb5HmvnAJeGg9CavEqmDfeA&itok=p3zNTrZR&c=664cc1e3260fecbd1131caa309db4dc3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Yeah I think it's more the football (soccer) team wouldn't be pulling in big enough crowds to fill it.

Obviously United would need bigger but the standard of the stadium is more what I was getting at.

Not to reignite a separate debate but if the main reason for expansion was purely for an increased capacity then would rail seating do the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

OFF TOPIC POST INCOMING!!!

Apologies, from seeing something on Facebook earlier I got and idea. I have just returned to college this September, well when I say return I mean I am going to 3rd level for the first time ever at the grand old age of 31. As part of one of modules I have to start and maintain a weekly blog, I will be putting the link to it in my sig as soon as it becomes live as I think it would be great to get feedback and share it around among you lot as that is one of the main aims of it. All feedback welcome, positive and negative, but do go easy on an oul fella if ye do give it a look!

Hope ye enjoy it also obviously, but it will not be sport related, mostly it will be informal blogs about the financial sector and business world in general. Sorry for the off topic

OFF TOPIC POST OUTGOING!!!

Fcuk sake Bangkok.

:mad:

:pac:

Good luck to Stringer and Mars with their studies and blogs. We're quite an academic bunch around here, cromulently.

As for the stadium debate from earlier - I would hate, yes hate, to see OT knocked and a new stadium built on the adjoining land. There are some slick-looking new stadium designs around the world and many I've seen photos of are really impressive. You can't design history on a page though, and for me with Manchester United, history trumps state-of-the-art design and OT is a big part of our history.

The grass on the pitch might have changed a thousand times, but that bit of land is the same bit of land that our club have been lining out on since 1910 (barring most of the 1940s when the club had to relocate to Maine Road because of bombing damage to OT) - That even adds to the history of Old Trafford - it was bombed in WW2 and the club still went back, plus within a few years of returning to the restored OT we had the Busby Babes do their thing. Hugh history there. Walking down the Munich tunnel and reading the plaques about the players and the incident, the hair raises on your arms knowing this is where those young players turned the heads of the football world, only for many of them to meet that fate.

In more modern times - It is the home of where probably the GOAT manager made history with his teams. Where he unearthed serious talent, where he won some titles/trophies with players who other managers/teams mightn't have won a decent run of matches with. Where...ya know what, fúck it, could keep going with historical reasons to remain at OT. You all know the craic yourselves especially the Fergie years.

Hands up, I'll admit I can be a sentimental fool and those things I write about above mightn't mean as much to another United fan in terms of staying at OT, and that's okay. I just see no immediate need to rebuild. Ed Woodward and the Glazers might see it differently though, and that's what will essentially matter. Upgrading facilities, expanding capacity, a lick of paint here, a new prawn sandwich bar there, all things I'm in favour of. Outright demolishment of OT and the construction of a new, shiny, probably soulless bowl on an adjacent site or any other site - Down with that sort of thing, rally the fans, muster the M.U.S.T., kill it.

Arsenal needed it to suit their ambition and success at the time. Highbury made some school pitches look huge, the stands were in poor shape and the ground's expansion capabilities were very limited and just insufficient. We face nothing of that sort of hurdle at Old Trafford. Yes, the railway along the Sir Bobby Charlton Stand has been problematic for expansion in the past, but apparently technological advances in tunnel engineering over the years are making it more financially viable to look at as a serious option soon.

Having been over at OT as recent as last season, I don't think it's too shabby at all in terms of facilities. Ideally they can bring the capacity up into the mid-80k range in the next decade, safe-standing areas would be nice too. However, it's a top stadium for something that has been worked on for over a century and is still being worked on.

The Daily Mail is a rag, but even a broken clock can be right twice a day. I like this historical look at Old Trafford they ran last Summer just before Jose managed his first game at the ground. The photos, from as far back as 1930, are quality...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3720412/Old-Trafford-picture-special-Manchester-United-s-iconic-stadium-evolved-106-years-Jose-Mourinho-prepares-make-new-home.html

• Advertisement

Some thoughts today from Jose on Pogba;

"I have no idea when he [Pogba] will be back, no idea, but again, this is a great opportunity for other players to play and I trust them all. So I'm not going to cry or be counting the days until Pogba comes back. When he comes back, welcome, but until then I trust my people."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Excellent post Stu I agree 100 percent.

I don't see the need for knocking it down what's to be gained? Executive boxes and a glass tunnel?

Anyone that goes to old Trafford knows what it's like to stand across from the megastore and looking at that huge glass front facing you then walk around to the left and you have the Munich clock and plaque it feels like your paying tribute to them just standing and looking.

Or that feeling you get going underneath the stands on match day to enrmter the stairways surrounded by the bricks and big doors for each section.

I absolutely adore old Trafford the whole lot of it screams history even tho 3 sides of it is relatively newer then myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Good luck to Stringer and Mars with their studies and blogs. We're quite an academic bunch around here, cromulently.

Nice knowing I'm not the only academic one 'round here..

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Nice knowing I'm not the only academic layabout one 'round here..

FYP

FYP

Cheeky feck :P

Though maybe just a smidge of truth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

If they did build a new stadium, would it be New Trafford?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

paulbok wrote: »
    If they did build a new stadium, would it be New Trafford?

In all seriousness, if they built a new stadium you can guarantee it will have a sponsor in the name. And it will probably change every few years. Thats a level of soulless ****e I could do without.

In all seriousness, if they built a new stadium you can guarantee it will have a sponsor in the name. And it will probably change every few years. Thats a level of soulless ****e I could do without.

The Aviva UUUuggggghhhhhhh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Piggy backing off this post. I have also started a blog that went live today about coaching football abroad. You can find it on the soccer coaching forum. ;)

Ha! It was you gave me the idea ;) Didn't know whether you wanted to be outed or not so I left it out of the OP :D

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Ha! It was you gave me the idea ;) Didn't know whether you wanted to be outed or not so I left it out of the OP :D

I'm honoured! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Cheeky feck :P

Though maybe just a smidge of truth

Not for me anyway! :D I no longer have days off, College Mon-Fri, 24 hours work over the course of Fri-Sun!

Mortgage still has to be paid sadly :( Oh and the kids wouldn't agree to just not eating for a while. Be worth it in the end though, feckin better be anyway!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Not for me anyway! :D I no longer have days off, College Mon-Fri, 24 hours work over the course of Fri-Sun!

Mortgage still has to be paid sadly :( Oh and the kids wouldn't agree to just not eating for a while. Be worth it in the end though, feckin better be anyway!

I suppose it's easier given what I'm studying, good luck with your course as well..

That's what I keep telling myself as motivation "that rolled up degree will be worth it"

The Aviva UUUuggggghhhhhhh

The Tinder Stadium

jayo26 wrote: »
    The Tinder Stadium

Everton

The Angry Birdsnest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Just reading last few pages, is there plans to demolish old trafford and if so why???!! Class stadium

Also, i think it was mars bar, is he training juventus youths in dubai?? Why was he not ridiculed in the same way i was when i said my brother works at carrington??

bangkok wrote: »
    Just reading last few pages, is there plans to demolish old trafford and if so why???!! Class stadium

Also, i think it was mars bar, is he training juventus youths in dubai?? Why was he not ridiculed in the same way i was when i said my brother works at carrington??

Uh Mars Bar is a woman :P

Uh Mars Bar is a woman :P

Either way, man, woman, still employed by juve...

Fair play i say. Didnt take much slagging like i did

Not sure people get slagged for telling the truth ?

Not sure people get slagged for telling the truth ?

Ok. We'll leave it at that.

Anyway, 2-0 win tomorrow. Lukaku and martial

• Advertisement

OFF TOPIC POST INCOMING!!!

Apologies, from seeing something on Facebook earlier I got and idea. I have just returned to college this September, well when I say return I mean I am going to 3rd level for the first time ever at the grand old age of 31. As part of one of modules I have to start and maintain a weekly blog, I will be putting the link to it in my sig as soon as it becomes live as I think it would be great to get feedback and share it around among you lot as that is one of the main aims of it. All feedback welcome, positive and negative, but do go easy on an oul fella if ye do give it a look!

Hope ye enjoy it also obviously, but it will not be sport related, mostly it will be informal blogs about the financial sector and business world in general. Sorry for the off topic

OFF TOPIC POST OUTGOING!!!

Wait a minute, it might have taken me a few hours but I finally copped the meta in our Stringer Bell going back to college later in life to study business/finance.

9tE29kb.gif

Mind-blown, your dedication to the character/show is immense :pac: :pac:

Something, something...life imitating art. The Wire spoiler
    Hope things go a lot better for you than your namesake. Remember, once in the game there's no getting out. Keep an eye out for that sneaky fúck Omar

Is that you Mario????

a_At_Pw_DW.png

Stringers blog better keep me up to date with everything Woodie related (The money machine) :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

GAME DAY!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

FFS Bangkok
    1) Mars bar is a lady,if you don't know that after two/three years on this thread you're an idiot it's not as if she ever tried to conceal that. Cookie dough is also a lady just in case you missed it
    2) Mars bar is a very good poster, who makes succinct points and valid opinions. She doesn't BS and drag threads side ways for days
    3) she explained when, where and how long she'd be doing the training. She told us in advance she was in the running for it and everyone got behind her and wished her well.
    4) she never makes outrageous claims of brother at Carrington, friend in Turin,Barca, Paris, knew such and such a player or met this players dad and had them on your speed dial etc and I could go on.... all of which you did within first few weeks of posting
    5) we all, friggin love Mars bar so why would we not believe her
    Either way, man, woman, still employed by juve...

Fair play i say. Didnt take much slagging like i did

Stop playing the victim card, as jayo said "why always me???"
    Cos you always do this.

Grow up and start being a normal person. This attention seeking crap is beyond annoying . You're like a spoilt child with it.

You got the reaction you did for reasons explained above. Mars bar was believed and supported by us all for the reasons stated above

Anyways hope everything is going well for our dear Mars and that Juve are accepting of you training their people in your United jersey. Great you're still posting as you'd be sadly missed if you weren't.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    GAME DAY!

This is a game we need to win well. City would go down and tonk them 4 or 5 on their current form so we need to do likewise. Keep the race tight and pressurised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Is the United game on sky ireland today as one of the 3pms? If so what channel do they use for it? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Is the United game on sky ireland today as one of the 3pms? If so what channel do they use for it? Thanks

Think someone posted earlier in the week that it's on the Irish sky sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Yeah United is the 3pm Sky game

jaykay74 wrote: »

Are you our missing brother?

What ya think jayop? Could be him

jayo26 wrote: »
    Are you our missing brother?

What ya think jayop? Could be him

Couldn't be lads he's jaykay
    Not jayo.....
    that o is important

• Advertisement

brinty wrote: »
    Couldn't be lads he's jaykay
    Not jayo.....
    that o is important

How did I miss that... may keep looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

To be fair, you can hardly expect people to know the gender of another poster on an internet forum, especially when the username isnt a clue. I didn't. To be honest when I do pop in here a lot of the stuff goes right over my head. I dont know Mars Bars apart from it being a username I sometimes read posts from. And didnt realise she was part of the Juve set up. It sounds brilliant and I'd be very keen to follow her blog as its such a unique career. However saying "we all love her", again on an internet forum is that not a bit OTT? Who is this "we"? Maybe you love her. But I wouldnt have any real affection for anyone based solely on my knowledge of them through online contributions. All the same, good luck with the coaching Mars Bar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

To be fair, you can hardly expect people to know the gender of another poster on an internet forum, especially when the username isnt a clue. I didn't. To be honest when I do pop in here a lot of the stuff goes right over my head. I dont know Mars Bars apart from it being a username I sometimes read posts from. And didnt realise she was part of the Juve set up. It sounds brilliant and I'd be very keen to follow her blog as its such a unique career. However saying "we all love her", again on an internet forum is that not a bit OTT? Who is this "we"? Maybe you love her. But I wouldnt have any real affection for anyone based solely on my knowledge of them through online contributions. All the same, good luck with the coaching Mars Bar!

Ya its tad creepy isn't it. Especially as it's been an on going thing for good while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Jokes on you lads, I'm actually a llama.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

astradave wrote: »
    Yeah United is the 3pm Sky game

Sky Ireland have 3pm games, didn't know that was a thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭xtal191

I expect to be seeing Mars Bar trained players playing for us in a few years time.

And fair play landing that job, damn impressive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

xtal191 wrote: »
    I expect to be seeing Mars Bar trained players playing for us in a few years time.

And fair play landing that job, damn impressive!

Haha! It sounds far more impressive than it is. There are seven of us on the team and we are all 30 or younger. These academies aren't about finding the next superstar but about the social and health aspect and creating good people. If you find the next gem then you are super, super lucky.
    This academy was an Arsenal academy last year but Juventus are in here now and apparently they are far more hands on from the top down than Arsenal ever were which is great. You genuinely feel like you belong to the club.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Haha! It sounds far more impressive than it is. There are seven of us on the team and we are all 30 or younger. These academies aren't about finding the next superstar but about the social and health aspect and creating good people. If you find the next gem then you are super, super lucky.
    This academy was an Arsenal academy last year but Juventus are in here now and apparently they are far more hands on from the top down than Arsenal ever were which is great. You genuinely feel like you belong to the club.

If you do find a superstar you can be sure to have arsene saying yep we nearly signed that person but we left Kuwait a year earlier and didn't follow it up ;)

Don't mind brinty he is a creep but we still love him ;););)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,170 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

ElChe32 wrote: »
    Jokes on you lads, I'm actually a llama.

I love llamas

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement