Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Another touchline ban for Mourinho coming up.

Poor performance but great result. That would've been guaranteed drop points last season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

They said he was sent off for "wandering onto the pitch"?

:S

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Fcuking hell that was a hard watch. Important 3 points nonetheless.

Last season that was a 1-1 all day long

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Is that a straight red or was the ref just being a ****?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Lord TSC wrote: »
    They said he was sent off for "wandering onto the pitch"?

:S

And the saint manager is slowed throw ball back in from the edge of pitch. Haha

That was a bad performance in midfield but will take it could of easily dropped points.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Southampton really came into the game in that 2nd half. Our 2nd half performance didn't help us but we were very solid defensively. DDG had little or nothing of note to do really.

3 points in the bag in another game we would almost certainly have conceded in last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Win even though a poor showing. I'll take it, we are bound to have a few through the season. Jones, Matic very very good today.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to the pub....

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

We would have dropped points in previous seasons so can't complain.

Lukaku work rate was excellent he had one clear opportunity and took it.

Jones was excellent and did really well.

Games like this shows why we need pogba someone to get the ball out from midfield and take pressure off defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Awful second half, awful ref. brill points.

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    Lukaku work rate was excellent he had one clear opportunity and took it.

Jones was excellent and did really well.

Games like this shows why we need pogba someone to get the ball out from midfield and take pressure off defence.

Jones was superb, vidic like performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,841 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Wow. thought we wouldn't hold on. Southampton better team today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Poor performance. 3points though.

I thought the referee was unbelievably bad. Shocking in fact. Handing out cards to Utd like confetti while giving Southampton license to foul at will in Utds half when they lost the ball to stop the counter attack.

This formation just won’t work away from home more often than not. Miki or Mata has to be out of the team for Herrera and in fact even going with this formation one of them should be dropped and Martial given a chance. I’d possibly keep Miki due to him having more pace but the two of them have been muck for the last couple of games.

What was most frustrating apart from Southampton’s dominance in the second half was the lack of application. Utd won very few second balls and were second best to most things. They made Southampton look a lot better than they are as they passed the balk at will finding space all over the pitch without much effort.

The performance levels have certainly dropped the last couple of games. Thankfully not the results but it needs to be looked at.

And please don’t throw in Pogbas name as the problem cause it’s just bs and lazy.

Another 5 for City today.

Really hope we do the same to Palace next week.

J. Marston wrote: »

For get about goal difference. We'll never score as many as them. We just need to rack up the points.

We have a run of away games now as long as we keep winning I'll worry about what other teams are scoring after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Second half was a serious slog for us. Never got anything going on the break downs like in the first.

3 points though, delighted.

Just seen it my God that's harsh, what an absolute **** that ref is, Southampton manager did the same thing a few minutes ago

Can he appeal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

J. Marston wrote: »

Meh, win the remainder of our games 1 nil we win the league.

Poor performance today and we managed to get away with three points.

Saints will take points of our top 4 rivals, they are a real handful.

Important we held out considering the other results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

That's 3 average to below average PL performances in a row now but with varying outcomes in each game.

Happy to be adding another 3 points to our tally but it really does rely on us being solid at the back and soaking up all that pressure which we did in fairness.

Should probably have taken one of our other two big chances.

Hococop wrote: »
    Just seen it my God that's harsh, what an absolute **** that ref is, Southampton manager did the same thing a few minutes ago

Can he appeal

I thought Valencia’s yellow was a joke. Lukakus yellow was a joke and Herrera’s yellow was a joke. Southampton were allowed foul at will.

Honestly as poor a refereeing display as I’ve seen in a long time.

adox wrote: »

I thought the referee was unbelievably bad. Shocking in fact. Handing out cards to Utd like confetti while giving Southampton license to foul at will in Utds half when they lost the ball to stop the counter attack.

This formation just won’t work away from home more often than not. Miki or Mata has to be out of the team for Herrera and in fact even going with this formation one of them should be dropped and Martial given a chance. I’d possibly keep Miki due to him having more pace but the two of them have been muck for the last couple of games.

What was most frustrating apart from Southampton’s dominance in the second half was the lack of application. Utd won very few second balls and were second best to most things. They made Southampton look a lot better than they are as they passed the balk at will finding space all over the pitch without much effort.

The performance levels have certainly dropped the last couple of games. Thankfully not the results but it needs to be looked at.

And please don’t throw in Pogbas name as the problem cause it’s just bs and lazy.

I don't agree that it's bs and lazy

Did the ref call on the physio when Felaini was standing up given out about being fouled or was that a miscommunication?

What exactly did Jose do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

That match was just trolling the ABUs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Very poor performance today. In hindsight it needed an extra man in midfield.

That's all the top teams after playing apart from arsenal and we didn't loose any points to them I'll take that any day of the week ;);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Stoke would irritate you. Fought with everything to get a draw with us then roll over for Chelsea.
    Chelsea, utd and city looking formidable atm.

Poor performance with a great result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

We were lucky in that game but again its a game we would have drawn or lost last season

Im not sure Martial would have been a good choice in the second half as hes not a man to track back much

That's fine we won't mention our opinions because if we don't agree with adox it's bulsh1t and lazy.

Bulsh1t way to have a debate or discussion if you ask me.

• Advertisement

Head to head against last season. 6 points up already.

untitled-png.2216

League
    West Ham H
    2017/18 - W 4-0
    2016/17 - D 1-1
    Swansea A
    2017/18 - W 4-0
    2016/17 - W 3-1
    Leicester H
    2017/18 - W 2-0
    2016/17 - W 4-1
    Stoke A
    2017/18 - D 2-2
    2016/17 - D 1-1
    Everton H
    2017/18 - W 4-0
    2016/17 - D 1-1
    Southampton A
    2017/18 - W 1-0
    2016/17 - D 0-0
    Palace H
    2017/18 -
    2016/17 - W 2-0
    Liverpool A
    2017/18 -
    2016/17 - D 0-0

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

We were lucky in that game but again its a game we would have drawn or lost last season

Im not sure Martial would have been a good choice in the second half as hes not a man to track back much

Exactly my thoughts. Maybe when Herrera came on, but after that I wouldn't have like him in.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Roy (not Keane) on MUTV complaining about Lukaku not being good enough.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Roy (not Keane) on MUTV complaining about Lukaku not being good enough.

In what way not good enough?

Did anyone else think Matic was quiet today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I don't think he held the ball up well enough myself today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

We looked less secure with Smalling and back 3

Thought he was excellent off the ball but didn't do much with it

Lukaku was OK today but still missed a great chance and even the goal he needed two bites at it. Needs to be more clinical.

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    We looked less secure with Smalling and back 3

I dont like Jones and Smalling on the pitch at the same time

jayo26 wrote: »
    That's fine we won't mention our opinions because if we don't agree with adox it's bulsh1t and lazy.

Bulsh1t way to have a debate or discussion if you ask me.

He’s already been mentioned. If you think today’s performance was down to one player missing then you have a very sim0listic view of the game imo.

Knock yourself out with the Pogba eulogies if you want. My point wasn’t meant to be taken literally more a preemptive strike on the inevitable.

Also you are misrepresenting me saying “if you don’t agree with adox it’s bull**** and lazy”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Thought the performance was not as bad as people are making out. It was very controlled and calculated in the second half but we still had chances to kill the game. It was a lot better than the Everton performance for all except maybe 10 minutes.

I'm disappointed with Mkhitaryan in most games. He's just not the intelligent player I thought he was before he signed. He is a bit of a pace merchant with good instincts, but his final ball can be very frustrating. I know that's harsh considering he's leading the league in assists, but I was expecting someone like a David Silva who can get a hold of a game and get others playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Hococop wrote: »
    In what way not good enough?

He misses more chances than he takes.
    His back to goal and not being good enough.
    The name Lukaku seemed to upset him.
    Basically he should be dropped.

Quinton Fortune, Paddy Crerand and Denis Irwin were in shock, Irwin said he wouldn't want to be chatting with him over an orange juice at his local as they would have a serious disagreement.

Mandy Henry then asked Roy, would United be on top of the league without the goals of Lukaku, to which Roy said, 'there you go again with Lukaku'.

It was weird.

Thought the performance was not as bad as people are making out. It was very controlled and calculated in the second half but we still had chances to kill the game. It was a lot better than the Everton performance for all except maybe 10 minutes.

I'm disappointed with Mkhitaryan in most games. He's just not the intelligent player I thought he was before he signed. He is a bit of a pace merchant with good instincts, but his final ball can be very frustrating. I know that's harsh considering he's leading the league in assists, but I was expecting someone like a David Silva who can get a hold of a game and get others playing.

I’d disagree with both points. I didn’t think there was anything calculated about it. I just thought we were really poor and lucky to get away with the three points.

Also I think Miki is a really intelligent footballer and it is his final ball that has probably kept him on the team. It’s his ball retention and first pass that can and have been shocking. It turns possession over so often in a game. When he does eventually break the line and have the final ball option more often than not he delivers.

However I think himself and Mata are both very lucky to be still holding down a first team place.

3 points lads. Stop fighting or else I'll...

HTTPS9tZWRpYS50ZW5vci5jby9pbWFnZXMvMjNhNDliYTIxNGEwZTMzZGM4NDVkZTZkMmM2ZGFhODkvcmF3.gif

Roy who??

He’s already been mentioned. If you think today’s performance was down to one player missing then you have a very sim0listic view of the game imo.

Knock yourself out with the Pogba eulogies if you want. My point wasn’t meant to be taken literally more a preemptive strike on the inevitable.

Also you are misrepresenting me saying “if you don’t agree with adox it’s bull**** and lazy”

When you say dont mention pogba because it's lazy and bulsh1t there is only one way to take that and its don't argue with my opinion I won't listen.

The team today when under pressure had no outlet from midfield they hit long hit and hope balls to Southampton players and ball came back at them again.

Pogba in middle of that pitch would be able hold off players pressing him and pick out a long pass from nowhere of you don't think would help fair enough but he has been doing fir over a year for us and never gets credit for it.

Our midfield has no creativity without him it's simple.

Soccer Saturday just said the official reason for the sending off was entering the field of play and that he had one foot on the pitch.

• Advertisement

Yep comaperded to his other performances he was quiet, although he had set the bar quite high.

He was like many though. Not quite at it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement