Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Jayop wrote: »
    Roy who??

Said not Keane so I guess Carroll?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

J. Marston wrote: »
    Soccer Saturday just said the official reason for the sending off was entering the field of play and that he had one foot on the pitch.

They love to jump on Jose haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Soccer Saturday just said the official reason for the sending off was entering the field of play and that he had one foot on the pitch.

Pretty sure a lot of managers do that in every game. Don't understand what the referees today had against us. Literally blowing the whistle and throwing cards at our players for fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Head to head against last season. 6 points up already.

untitled-png.2216

League
    West Ham H
    2017/18 - W 4-0
    2016/17 - D 1-1
    Swansea A
    2017/18 - W 4-0
    2016/17 - W 3-1
    Leicester H
    2017/18 - W 2-0
    2016/17 - W 4-1
    Stoke A
    2017/18 - D 2-2
    2016/17 - D 1-1
    Everton H
    2017/18 - W 4-0
    2016/17 - D 1-1
    Southampton A
    2017/18 - W 1-0
    2016/17 - D 0-0
    Palace H
    2017/18 -
    2016/17 - W 2-0
    Liverpool A
    2017/18 -
    2016/17 - D 0-0

I thought there was a trademark on alternative tables.

adox wrote: »
    He’s already been mentioned. If you think today’s performance was down to one player missing then you have a very sim0listic view of the game imo.

Knock yourself out with the Pogba eulogies if you want. My point wasn’t meant to be taken literally more a preemptive strike on the inevitable.

Also you are misrepresenting me saying “if you don’t agree with adox it’s bull**** and lazy”

It's not illusions adox

Pogba provides positive movement and passing in midfield and he works harder than people tend to believe both offensively and defensively so yes he was missed today as he was last week

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I thought there was a trademark on alternative tables.

Nothing alternate about that.

pjohnson wrote: »

Lol that's the only one I can think of but I don't remember seeing him on Mutv much.

That was the first nervy finish to a game I've experienced this season, I really thought the equaliser, and perhaps more, was coming about halfway though the second half.

We just looked like a different team today to the last few games, even in the 2-2 v Stoke I thought the team performed better than today.

But there was no equaliser for Southampton, and wins like this while being tough to watch, are what a title challenge takes. They also show the measure of a team.

We were told by all the 'experts' when Jose came in to the club that wins like today would be the norm - Defensive, ugly, but effective. However, not only has that been proven to be BS, but we could have done with some of those turgid wins in so many of those draws last season.

Some might say maybe Martial should have been introduced later on. Sure, I can understand that, but days like today the focus ends up being all about seeing out the the win, rather than taking risks to solidify that win. The moment I saw Smalling coming on for an attacker, I knew what was happening and there was more chance of seeing Sergio Romero come on as an outfield player than someone like Martial.

Since that is not the norm - I.e. Park the bus each and every game, that is fine with me. Well done to the manager today with his substitutions. However, I'd argue that there are games we need 3 in CM from the start, and today was one of them. I don't say that in retrospect, because when I saw the line-up I was wary of our MF getting a bit overrun. That happened for spells today. Yes we miss Pogba, but I think we have the personnel available to shore-up our MF better in his absense, but that personnel has spent most of the season so far on the bench.

Special mention to the referee today. His yellow card on Ashley Young for touching a Southampton player in the first half laid down the marker for some 'WTF?' decisions to come and a few unnecessary yellow cards. Not only did we get close to nothing from Pawson today, but it was like he was going out of his way to penalise United players. He produced cards based solely on the Southampton players' reactions to challenges (was nice to see Herrera use that to our own benefit near the end) rather than for the actual challenges.

That was a less than stellar team performance, and some players were poorer than others, but job done and I'm delighted with those points. If we can get a result in Moscow mid-week and then a decent win at home to a woeful Palace next weekend, this will have been a great run of results for us between the international breaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

EniSsoc.jpg

Sending off all day long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

EniSsoc.jpg

Sending off all day long.

He could have killed him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

jayo26 wrote: »
    When you say dont mention pogba because it's lazy and bulsh1t there is only one way to take that and its don't argue with my opinion I won't listen.

The team today when under pressure had no outlet from midfield they hit long hit and hope balls to Southampton players and ball came back at them again.

Pogba in middle of that pitch would be able hold off players pressing him and pick out a long pass from nowhere of you don't think would help fair enough but he has been doing fir over a year for us and never gets credit for it.

Our midfield has no creativity without him it's simple.

I said “please don’t throw in Pogbas name as the problem as it bs and lazy”

Today’s performance wasn’t a one player fix. It was a collective problem. You are hugely overvaluing Pogbas importance and Southampton’s ability.
    Pogba has been on the pitch for plenty of performances like that and been as gu8lty as any of them about a lack of impact.

Look of course Pogba is missed but ****ing hell, if you watch a performance like that and think, well if Pogba had been there everything would have been ok then I just give up.

It’s the stereotypical and lazy thing to do. A player not playing becomes the answer when things aren’t going well. It might be valid if were retaining possession and just unable to unlock Southampton or find that killer ball but that wasn’t the case. We could barely str8ng three passes together in the second half.

The players on the pitch were more than good enough to perform better than they did and control the game more. It just seems lazy to me to say “Pogba” instead of actually critiquing who was on the pitch and why they didn’t play better.

If we really are relying on Pogba that much(and there is no way we are) then we haven’t a hope this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I presume it was just some dope called Roy who called into the show.You know the usual nutcases those shows get.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    It's not illusions adox

Pogba provides positive movement and passing in midfield and he works harder than people tend to believe both offensively and defensively so yes he was missed today as he was last week

Look he’s always going to be missed. He’s a quality player. That’s not my point though.

See my above post to Jayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Roy who??

Roy from Gosport, everyone know him, right?

https://twitter.com/kevinashford7/status/911627016830582785

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Thought the first half was comfortable and thought we would see the team go up a gear in the second half and kill the game off,but Southampton dominated the second half and at times the Utd of the last two seasons returned.

Anyway a hard fought win and another three points in bag,

On we go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

One of those ref performances that was completely awful but will go unnoticed as there was no big calls

Unearthly wrote: »
    One of those ref performances that was completely awful but will go unnoticed as there was no big calls

If it was the other way around it would be all over SSN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I've seen a lot worse refereeing performances than today's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I've seen a lot worse refereeing performances than today's.

Agreed. But I thought he wasn't fair to both teams. And I've seen this in another game this season too. It's like if the winning team fouls in the last twenty minutes it's an automatic yellow card because every foul is determined to be cynical. Valencia actually slipped and just fell into the Southampton player.

I can understand that they want to stamp out cynical play, but I don't think there was any cynicism at all from us today. There wasn't even time wasting or anything. The referee was a complete numpty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

great 3 points, not a great performance though.

Phil Jones was immense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Thought rashford had a good game as well. Did his tracking back and defensive duties well. Mad he's only 19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I would have been thrilled to get 16 points from 18.

Equals our best start to the season. And Palace next....

We should be sticking 6 past Palace. They wont have Fosu-Mensah available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

United have released a statement on the Lukaku dick song...

ah1v31uo1onz.jpg

What a bizarre situation.

Hopefully they get a ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Hopefully they get a ban.

Why ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

It's nuts that the club had to issue a stronger statement. When anti-racism groups ask you not to sing a song, when the club asks you not to sing the song cause of the racial aspects, and a predominantly white crowd go "nah, well sing what we want", that's a horrid situation for the club to create...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Probably a bit strongly worded but I have said from the start that that song has no place being sung at a football match. It's important to maintain a family atmosphere too and a casually racist, crude and demeaning chant is very disrespectful to a player as talented as Lukaku.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Fans are silly to keep singing it

• Advertisement

yabadabado wrote: »
    Why ?

They were clearly told to not do it by the player himself. That anti-racist yoke "KickItOut" were claiming it racist so we dont want to get implicated into any of that kinda thing. If people can only think about Romelu's kaku while they are at a match they should stay home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Supposedly the whole section was singing it and then broke into a song saying "we're Man Utd, we'll sing what we want"

astradave wrote: »
    Supposedly the whole section was singing it and then broke into a song saying "we're Man Utd, we'll sing what we want"

Maybe I'm the only one completely embarrassed then.....didnt know so many fans embraced it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

There should be respect for the player if it is something he doesn't like, which he clearly doesn't.
    Probably has family and friends over watching him play and not the sort of thing one would want them hearing either.

That person should really stop using illegal streams of beinsport.

Funny the way the clip only starts after the saints defender and Jones come together.

• Advertisement

That person should really stop using illegal streams of beinsport.

Funny the way the clip only starts after the saints defender and Jones come together.

Yeah its very selective but I loved the flashback to this 9Gx85Xz

Even when gravity is too strong for Phil he will still get to the ball!

Yeah its very selective but I loved the flashback to this 9Gx85Xz

Even when gravity is too strong for Phil he will still get to the ball!

He actually didn't get to the ball in the end I don't think haha.. he tried his dammed hardest but made zero contact but he did make sure the saints player couldn't get it either and that's what he was mainly doing.

Same as the time he tried to header the ball on the ground it was disguised as someone going for the ball but he knew he hadn't a hope in hell but he managed to make the ball safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I'll say this about jones, clips like that really just show his commitment to the cause, just like that clip everyone was laughing at where he headed the ball on the ground, that actually prevented a certain goal.

In that situation a lot of defenders would just fall flat on their arse and the attacker could get around and create a chance but not jones. As unorthodox and stupid as it looks, you can't help but admire him for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,640 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Phil Jones is a guy who would run through a brick wall to clear a ball. He doesn't quit. It doesn't always look graceful, but you have to applaud the honesty. If he can keep injury free, he is a monster.

He actually didn't get to the ball in the end I don't think haha.. he tried his dammed hardest but made zero contact but he did make sure the saints player couldn't get it either and that's what he was mainly doing.

Same as the time he tried to header the ball on the ground it was disguised as someone going for the ball but he knew he hadn't a hope in hell but he managed to make the ball safe.

Yeah upon closer inspection he kicked the air. Still confused the sh*te out of Redmond so mission accomplished. I actually tried to attach the gif of him crawling and heading the ball of Giroud. Nothing will stop him getting to the ball. I'd rate him over Bailly as our best CB currently. Please god stay injury free.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

thelad95 wrote: »
    I'll say this about jones, clips like that really just show his commitment to the cause, just like that clip everyone was laughing at where he headed the ball on the ground, that actually prevented a certain goal.

In that situation a lot of defenders would just fall flat on their arse and the attacker could get around and create a chance but not jones. As unorthodox and stupid as it looks, you can't help but admire him for it.

He is a mad bastard but most of the historically best centre halfs have some kind of a screw loose. Players that would put their head where most players wouldn't dare put their boot. Vidic was cut from the same mentalist stone.

I don’t want to Mr negative but history would imply that we shouldn’t be relying on Jones as a permanent fixture in the team.

He’s had a mostly great start to the season but I’d expect him to pick up another injury sooner rather than later and be unavailable for an extended period.

Also my tuppence worth on the Lukaku chant, it’s nothing to do with being politically correct or political correctness gone mad to say that it’s based on a racial stereotype and if it belongs anywhere(it doesn’t imo)it’s in th 70s. Hard to believe it’s happening in 2017.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

We've glossed over a few spells of indifferent play in games this season with a few late goals to make them look like comfortable wins. Today was just grafting out the 3 pts. A title challenging team will have plenty of those 1-0 games in their season. Hopefully we'll look back on games like this the same

We were cat in the 2nd half today and inviting pressure on when 1 up is one thing. But our counter attack or ability to hold onto the ball higher up the pitch was so poor

That clip is a great reflection on Jones just like the other funny one. He was a monster today and that kind of commitment is why he's brilliant when on form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

We were cat in the 2nd half today and inviting pressure on when 1 up is one thing. But our counter attack or ability to hold onto the ball higher up the pitch was so poor

We were cat for half of the first half also.

There was a 20 minute LVG like keep ball spell and that's about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Agreed. But I thought he wasn't fair to both teams. And I've seen this in another game this season too. It's like if the winning team fouls in the last twenty minutes it's an automatic yellow card because every foul is determined to be cynical. Valencia actually slipped and just fell into the Southampton player.
    I thought the Valencia foul was a clear yellow card. Valencia clearly slipped and there was no intention but it ended up being quite a bad challenge. Worse than tackles United fans have lambasted in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

Lads I wish we had've signed kane the man is unreal don't care if lukaku is younger or kane would've cost more, kane is simply better.
    Get the signings in and worry about it later

Lads I wish we had've signed kane the man is unreal don't care if lukaku is younger or kane would've cost more, kane is simply better.
    Get the signings in and worry about it later

Is your real name Roy and were you on the phone to MUTV after the game yesterday by any chance? Just wondering.

Kane is very good, Lukaku ain't doing bad though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement