Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Is your real name Roy and were you on the phone to MUTV after the game yesterday by any chance? Just wondering.

Kane is very good, Lukaku ain't doing bad though.

I'd love to hear a clip of that roy part on mutv, could always do with a laugh

Lads I wish we had've signed kane the man is unreal don't care if lukaku is younger or kane would've cost more, kane is simply better.
    Get the signings in and worry about it later

To be fair lukaku is doing just as good for us, beat saha's record today of scoring in every game he started at the start of a season. Kane's been at spurs first 11 for a number of years. Lukaku has come in the summer and just hit the ground sprinting.
    You could see at the end of the game today how much it meant to him.
    And last weeks goal at everton he celebrated. He doesnt care about any other team except united. The guy is young enough to become a legend here, a lot of our front men were and he wants a piece of that history. To him, he's finally arrived at the level he wanted/needs to be at.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Phil Jones was excellent but overall poor game and we didn't control the game at all. I think we missed Pobga big time, we had no one in the midfield who can pick passes and in games like these it was like Matic was the one man midfield, Fellaini had decent game but he didn't do much when in possession so we sort of lost the ball immediately.

Hopefully this is one off game as we really struggled and still can't believe we came out with 3 points.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Lukaku work rate was excellent he had one clear opportunity and took it.

Jones was excellent and did really well.

Games like this shows why we need pogba someone to get the ball out from midfield and take pressure off defence.

Agree with this. We need someone in the midfield who could hold on to possession and pick passes.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Agree with this. We need someone in the midfield who could hold on to possession and pick passes.

That should be anders job no. I love ths guy to pieces but he has some big faults as a midfielder who likes to get forward.
    Does 1 or 2 jobs brilliantly the rest he struggles.

AidoEirE wrote: »
    That should be anders job no. I love ths guy to pieces but he has some big faults as a midfielder who likes to get forward.
    Does 1 or 2 jobs brilliantly the rest he struggles.

Herrera didn't play isn't it. Also regarding which player you are talking about in the rest of the post, Herrera or Pogba?

Herrera didn't play isn't it. Also regarding which player you are talking about in the rest of the post, Herrera or Pogba?

I was replying to your comment on someone who can hold up posession and pick passes.
    I said Herrera as he did play, half an hour, the 30 mins he played he did neither the job fellanni and matic were already doing on the pitch so he didnt offer much. Missed an absolute sitter, which to be fair to him he gets in the right positions just doesnt know how to shoot. Last season is a good example of that

Not really sure where u pulled pogba from my post as he was neither playing or mentioned in my reply...

I was replying to your comment on someone who can hold up posession and pick passes.
    I said Herrera as he did play, half an hour, the 30 mins he played he did neither the job fellanni and matic were already doing on the pitch so he didnt offer much. Missed an absolute sitter, which to be fair to him he gets in the right positions just doesnt know how to shoot. Last season is a good example of that

Not really sure where u pulled pogba from my post as he was neither playing or mentioned in my reply...

Ah, got confused. I was talking about Pogba in my post.

Herrera should have started, gives more control to the midfield. Home games don't mind Fellaini playing as we usually dominate games and he is another option in the box.

Ah, got confused. I was talking about Pogba in my post.

Herrera should have started, gives more control to the midfield. Home games don't mind Fellaini playing as we usually dominate games and he is another option in the box.

Ah right fair enough :)

This is where we'll differ, fellani gets a lot of stick in football forums but id have him in a mid over herrera, he's better in the box both attck/def, will take a yellow for the team no problem, likes to keep the pressure going forward and has scored a few vital goals for us. We'd be a lot weaker team without him but without herrera id think we'd be ok.

Like i said, not saying hererra doesnt have a place in this squad but if its either or id think felllani would have a bigger impact if he wasnt in the squad over herrera.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Outside of pogba we have no magic in midfield we have no one to pick passes. Ander came on yesterday the idea was to try adjust the balance in midfield well it didn't work like that he got the ball in deep areas but couldn't do anything with it he has no vision like that.

And that's not totally bad he is a workhorse he will run all day but you need someone beside him to move the ball quick.

Pogba was our player of the month last month he was sublime with his passing and work in midfield he is now missing and the team has been weak in midfield against stoke and Southampton and didn't fair much better in the Everton game it's more then just lazy to spot the trend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Awful effort of a shot. He had a bit of time to settle himself and pick a corner.

Could be a zerks moment but love this, exactly like how I felt!

https://twitter.com/Doc_Joshi/status/911622933994508288

Yep you zerked it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭caviardreams

To be fair lukaku is doing just as good for us, beat saha's record today of scoring in every game he started at the start of a season. Kane's been at spurs first 11 for a number of years. Lukaku has come in the summer and just hit the ground sprinting.
    You could see at the end of the game today how much it meant to him.
    And last weeks goal at everton he celebrated. He doesnt care about any other team except united. The guy is young enough to become a legend here, a lot of our front men were and he wants a piece of that history. To him, he's finally arrived at the level he wanted/needs to be at.

Totally agree with this (even though I <3 Kane), and while I wanted Morata at the time I was more than happy with Rom. Also, I like you say I could see Rom staying with us for the long term while Morata might want to go back to Spain in a few years time and you are back to square one. Can't fault Rom so far tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Moratas goal yesterday, well one of them, was textbook Ruud VN. Reminded me of RVNs famous goal Vs Fulham

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Could be a zerks moment but love this, exactly like how I felt!

https://twitter.com/Doc_Joshi/status/911622933994508288

With Zerks MIA someone had to do it M@!C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I thought the midfield selected performed well in the first half but tired. It's one of those games that Lingard would have excelled in because of his workrate, pace and movement on the counter.

Herrera's body language hasn't looked great this season but hopefully he can sort out whatever is going on because we will need him soon. Hopefully he gets a start midweek.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/911887726655557632

So this is apparently with Jose got sent off for... I know he has history with refs but Christ its becoming embarrassing for the refs, when u see Klopp acting the clown roaring into the faces of officials and coming out of his box.

Different rules for Jose it seems.

irishfeen wrote: »

So this is apparently with Jose got sent off for... I know he has history with refs but Christ its becoming embarrassing for the refs, when u see Klopp acting the clown roaring into the faces of officials and coming out of his box.

It is so true I don't really give a sh1t about it but you have managers absolutely looking there mind on touch line and nothing said you have Hughes shoving Jose and its all talk about Jose not shaking his hand and now he gets sent off for putting a foot onto the pitch haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Outside of pogba we have no magic in midfield we have no one to pick passes.

Carrick....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭KH25

He shouldn't be on the pitch so no issue with that from me. But as you said it really is different rules for different managers. It's just another example of the shocking standard of officiating in the league. If another manager did the same I seriously doubt he would have been sent off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

Nalz wrote: »
    Moratas goal yesterday, well one of them, was textbook Ruud VN. Reminded me of RVNs famous goal Vs Fulham

Thought the exact same, the Fulham goal, even kinda reminds me of the finish away to arsenal in the 2-2 draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

KH25 wrote: »
    He shouldn't be on the pitch so no issue with that from me. But as you said it really is different rules for different managers. It's just another example of the shocking standard of officiating in the league. If another manager did the same I seriously doubt he would have been sent off.
    I think it needs a bit more context to be honest.

Everyone's right in saying that a manager putting their foot on the pitch doesn't automatically lead to a sending off.

But José is very close to the action there and is basically interfering with play (albeit not to a great extent).

It's quite possible the 4th official has more info which leads to him thinking that José was trying to put off the saints players intentionally.

Or maybe he was being pissy and has a grudge with Mourinho.

Who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

To be fair there is one rule for Jose. But it's his own doing. He has had countless altercations with refs and the fa and it is all brought on by himself. He picks fights with them and everyone else to distract from his teams bad performances (more so in the past than present of course) the guy talked about refs before games he has had bust ups with other coaching teams on the sideline and he has been petulant towards refs and assistants on the sideline.

We can talk about wenger and hughes' issues against Jose or we can even mention conte and klopps actions but while some managers and players have shouted at refs and assistants, Ilse has been there and beyond. The guy doesn't give a toss about paying fines and even when he has suspended sentences he still does what he wants.

So yes Jose seems to have his own set of rules but that is probably because he doesn't follow the standard rules set for everyone else.

He gets away with way more than he gets harshly punished for.

Yesterday seemed mind boggling. If he got sent off for having one foot on the pitch that's nuts but is following the letter of the law. But if he did it a few times yesterday then he needs to be punished yet again. He is in the Southampton players way. If that is intentional which with these things it often is with Jose, then it's only right they seem to have one rule for Jose. That rule probably isn't harsh enough to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

So the latest is United want Dybala next summer and he will cost around £155 million.
    I presume it would be to replace Zlatan?
    Would United want Griezmann too?
    Talk too that Jose wants Saul to replace Carrick. But Saul is not defensive midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

RobertKK wrote: »
    So the latest is United want Dybala next summer and he will cost around £155 million.
    I presume it would be to replace Zlatan?
    Would United want Griezmann too?
    Talk too that Jose wants Saul to replace Carrick. But Saul is not defensive midfield.

I honestly wouldn’t give it much thought if I were you. See what’s what closer to the time and then the discussion would be more substantial. I doubt any club is officially talking to another about their players at the start of a season as it would be ludicrously distracting to everyone, so I’d assume it’s agents and journalists making up stuff for their own personal gain.

Also.... Linking United with a player is every agents favourite tactic to trigger contract negotiations.

Miguel Delaney writes in the Independent that the club are to offer DDG a new contract in the next few weeks...

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/manchester-united-transfer-news-david-de-gea-new-contract-offer-real-madrid-interest-a7964201.html

Although it's Miguel, and there's no sources, it does make sense for the club to offer DDG a new contract given that his current one expires in 2019. He may choose to leave at the end of the current season, but it would be nice to get the maximum fee possible to reflect his status as one of the world's top keepers.

Edit: And writing that previous paragraph of logic just helped me realise how easy it is for the journos to come up these source-less articles. Right, I'm sending my CV into the Independent.

Interesting to see how different media outlets are reporting very different outlooks based on yesterday's performance.

The Guardian seem to believe that yesterday shows us United have the ability to win these tight 1-0 games, something we lacked last season. Irish Independent seems to think that Jose's unwillingness to bring on Martial until the game was safe shows an over cautious approach that will cost us in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Laughably misleading selection of image from the video of Jose's encroachment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Interesting to see how different media outlets are reporting very different outlooks based on yesterday's performance.

The Guardian seem to believe that yesterday shows us United have the ability to win these tight 1-0 games, something we lacked last season. Irish Independent seems to think that Jose's unwillingness to bring on Martial until the game was safe shows an over cautious approach that will cost us in the long run.

Just demonstrates a lack of understanding from the indo IMO.

Making a "positive" change doesn't suddenly turn a team under the cosh to start passing the ball around like barca.

In order to make use of of Tony we would have needed to get some control back in the centre. Brining on Tony has no impact on plugging the hole where the actual problem was.

Tony is not great defensively or at least not as good as Rashford.
    So you bring on tony, don't get control back, can't make use of him going forward and have drastically weakened your left side while on the back foot.

Sometimes you need to just baton down the hatches especially away from home and ride it out. We probably dropped off too much and conceded more possession than we'd usually like but I don't think introducing Tony wouldn't have stemmed it much if at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

I can see why the image of Jose's foot is misleading, he actually ran at the line as the left back was coming up the line.

Sending off as opposed to a word not to do it again is harsh. A warning would have sufficed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Jayop wrote: »
    That clip is a great reflection on Jones just like the other funny one. He was a monster today and that kind of commitment is why he's brilliant when on form.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

maxresdefault.jpg

Only the farm takes up most of the day, and in the evening I like a cuppa tea!

astradave wrote: »
    Only the farm takes up most of the day, and in the evening I like a cuppa tea!

KMHe_N.jpg

Miguel Delaney writes in the Independent that the club are to offer DDG a new contract in the next few weeks...

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/manchester-united-transfer-news-david-de-gea-new-contract-offer-real-madrid-interest-a7964201.html

Although it's Miguel, and there's no sources, it does make sense for the club to offer DDG a new contract given that his current one expires in 2019. He may choose to leave at the end of the current season, but it would be nice to get the maximum fee possible to reflect his status as one of the world's top keepers.

Edit: And writing that previous paragraph of logic just helped me realise how easy it is for the journos to come up these source-less articles. Right, I'm sending my CV into the Independent.

The club has an option of a year on ddg from what I know. He signed 4 year deal in 2015 with club option at end of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Irish Independent seems to think that Jose's unwillingness to bring on Martial until the game was safe shows an over cautious approach that will cost us in the long run.

Ignoring the Martial aspect, I actually do think there is an issue there with Jose being far too overcautious in these games. There is a difference between shutting up shop to see out a win and plain just playing scared, and I think Jose edges too close to the scared side of the line.

There was nothing of game management in what I saw yesterday and saw many times towards the end of last season. Closing out a game doesn't mean parking the bus and last ditch tackles, it means controlling the ball, minimising risk and making sure the game is played on your terms. We don't do that, instead every time Jose took off an attacker for a defensive player we played progressively worse, we sat deeper and deeper, couldn't string two passes together, had no counter attack worth talking about, we looked like a harried, frantic side fighting a rearguard action against mighty Southampton.

When the game gets like that you haven't shut up shop, you've just lost the initiative and are relying on scrambling defending to see you through, the very opposite of what you want. You get away with it against the tenuous goal threat of Shane Long but far too often it will cost you, as we saw plenty of times last season.

By miguel Delaney isnt it?

Bit random but I love how Lukaku has scored in all but 1 games. His spread of goals is very impressive considering that was one of his apparent weakness when he was at Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Bit random but I love how Lukaku has scored in all but 1 games. His spread of goals is very impressive considering that was one of his apparent weakness when he was at Everton.

Compare who he's got behind him now to then

• Advertisement

Ignoring the Martial aspect, I actually do think there is an issue there with Jose being far too overcautious in these games. There is a difference between shutting up shop to see out a win and plain just playing scared, and I think Jose edges too close to the scared side of the line.

There was nothing of game management in what I saw yesterday and saw many times towards the end of last season. Closing out a game doesn't mean parking the bus and last ditch tackles, it means controlling the ball, minimising risk and making sure the game is played on your terms. We don't do that, instead every time Jose took off an attacker for a defensive player we played progressively worse, we sat deeper and deeper, couldn't string two passes together, had no counter attack worth talking about, we looked like a harried, frantic side fighting a rearguard action against mighty Southampton.

When the game gets like that you haven't shut up shop, you've just lost the initiative and are relying on scrambling defending to see you through, the very opposite of what you want. You get away with it against the tenuous goal threat of Shane Long but far too often it will cost you, as we saw plenty of times last season.

He made an attempt at it by bringing on Herrera IMO, but it was unsuccessful.
    I was pleasantly surprised we didn't concede but that game could have easily ended 1-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,370 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The team were rubbish at maintaining control yesterday, and I don't think there is anything Jose could have done but didn't - players just didn't step up and impose themselves. We missed Pogba massively, but the players we have should be capable of not getting dominated by Southampton.

He tried to put more players capable of maintaining possession on the pitch but it just didn't happen for him/the players

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Other news:

Where are all the Ozil rumours coming from?

Will be free in the summer, has a good history with Jose (iirc), agent will want to link him with all the big teams, and an Arsenal evacuation is an easy story to write at the moment.

The team were rubbish at maintaining control yesterday, and I don't think there is anything Jose could have done but didn't - players just didn't step up and impose themselves. We missed Pogba massively, but the players we have should be capable of not getting dominated by Southampton.

He tried to put more players capable of maintaining possession on the pitch but it just didn't happen for him/the players

Agree with you on pogba Mitch I really believe he would of made a massive difference.

I thought Herrera was the wrong player to bring on that time but we didn't really have anyone else I'd never have him as someone to hold possession when up under pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,370 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Agree with you on pogba Mitch I really believe he would of made a massive difference.

I thought Herrera was the wrong player to bring on that time but we didn't really have anyone else I'd never have him as someone to hold possession when up under pressure.

Herrera should be capable of it. He is good on the ball and very good passer. He was a big disappointment imo.

It did hark back to last season though.

Jose went defensive and we tried to hang on last season because the midfield and forward line were incapable of putting the game away or keeping us on the front foot. Jose's inability to trust the team offensively last season made us defensive and conservative. That is what we saw yesterday - the offense didn't perform, so Jose retreated.

In other games this season, the offense has been performing, so Jose trusted them to keep on it, and we scored a bunch of goals late in games.

• Advertisement

Southampton always plays better than us, even in SAF's last season they dominated possession and number of shots 11 vs 20 at Old trafford.

We won against Southamton few times but never won convincingly except last season. It's always some back pass or some blunder which our players capitalizes rather than properly opening them up with good football.

Moyes season we drew both games.
    Van Gaal first season Yoshida (or someone) back pass to Van Perise to win the game but we lost at OT.
    Van Gaal second season, back pass to Martial and won 3-2, they won at OT.
    Jose's first season, comfortable winners at OT and drew the away game 0-0.

League cup finals, Southampton had goal ruled offside incorrectly.

For some reason we always struggled against Southampton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Very true.

I disagree.

I think Jose was more than happy to see the team drop deeper and deeper. He was quick to applaud the defensive contribution of his players as opposed to asking for them to push further up the pitch so that the midfield would have another outlet as opposed to hitting it long.

Lukaku isn't going to be able to do much when he has no support whatsoever. I remember a moment where he did extremely well to hold up play at the edge of the box but he ended up being crowded out by 5/6 saints players.

Rashford was playing as a wing back for the last 20 minutes of that game until he got replaced by a wing back. Fellaini was extremely deep at times as Southampton were applying pressure. At times it felt like we were playing with 7 at the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The team were rubbish at maintaining control yesterday, and I don't think there is anything Jose could have done but didn't

He could stop getting wobbly knees and deciding so early that we aren't good enough. It was only the 62 minute when he took Mata off for Herrera and you could immediately see that he was effectively withdrawing and giving up on any initiative. Then he took Mkhitaryan off for Smalling in the 75th minute in response to Southampton making an attacking sub, even from the comfort of my sofa I could see the knock-on effect such a move had on the players. There was no longer any semblance of a counter attack or attempts to use the ball, and why would there be when the manager makes it so clear that the main priority is to be more worried about their attacks than our own.

I have no problems with taking a 1-0 and closing out a game, Fergie did it all the time and I bet Liverpool fans wish they had a manager who could park the odd bus here and there. But I do think Jose is misjudging things in games like these and projecting the wrong attitude to the players, if they are not controlling the games in these situations it may well be because they are taking their cue from the manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'm not sure how much difference Pogba would have made. Southamptons midfield 3 was very good, Mkhitaryan will never exactly retain the ball a lot so Romeu/Lemina could win it early while Davis was buzzing around disrupting Fellaini/closing down Matic. Including Pogba would probably have only meant Lemina/Davis would be tracking Pogba constantly while Romeu just kept nicking the ball from Mkhitaryan.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement