Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Lukaku, Rashford, Martial, Mkhitaryan and Mata should really do a number on that Liverpool defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

We're in a wonderful position now that we go into a really big game away from home confident that against a team that look shot. We also know that even if we lose we stay 4 points ahead of them and in second place as we're 4 ahead of 3rd. This game isn't really that big now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Form means nothing going to Anfield. Liverpool have always been game raisers and I expect them to put in a performance against us. Even when we had a great side and they had a mediocre one, they still found a way to frustrate us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

Form goes out the window tbf in this fixture.

I fancy our chances but it's by no means a foregone conclusion.

It would be orgasmic to give them a good hiding at anfield though.

I'd normally agree.

But really bad defenders are not going to suddenly become good because its united.

From centre to the front might lift a bit but the back is really really rubbish and the fact it's united isn't going to change that IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

limnam wrote: »
    I'd normally agree.

But really bad defenders are not going to suddenly become good because its united.

From centre to the front might lift a bit but the back is really really rubbish and the fact it's united isn't going to change that IMO

We will get goal chances, no doubt about that, but they have been pretty toothless in front of goal lately, that will change at some point one has to think.

A fun scenario would be for Fellaini to get the winner from a hoofball, given the hatred many of their fans seem to have for him that would be a delicious needle in the eye.

Liverpool 90 percent possession, Ashley Young dive gets Mane sent off again and fellaini to score the resulting penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

Jayop wrote: »
    Liverpool 90 percent possession, Ashley Young dive gets Mane sent off again and fellaini to score the resulting penalty.

Klopp_VanGaal.jpg?strip=all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

A few bookies have shortened Uniteds odds as a result of today's game and have both teams at 8/5 to win. Others still have Liverpool as favourites.

I wouldn't be too confident betting on the game to be honest.

There could be a few people here licking wounds in 2 weeks time.

Looking forward to it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Just beat them beat them well no excuses for them just prove what level both clubs are at on the pitch!

It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see them play there best game the season so far just because it's United but **** it where better then them and jesus I hope we show this and keep the lot them quite!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

We should be going for the win. Too early in the season to he playing for a draw.

They may score but their defence is so poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Mata's intelligence will expose Moreno's lack of intelligence all day long. Valencia had a field day last season charging up the entire flank I remember

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭KH25

Always wary of pool at Anfield, but by God how has Klopp not addressed the defensive issues by now? It’s baffling. They look good up top but at the back seems to be the same as the last few seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

KH25 wrote: »
    Always wary of pool at Anfield, but by God how has Klopp not addressed the defensive issues by now? It’s baffling. They look good up top but at the back seems to be the same as the last few seasons.

Because blowing £35 million on Oxlade Chamberlain was the clever thing to do.

It'll pay off, just gotta be patient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Nothing counts because Rogers had Suarez.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

And we scored one goal in two games against them last year. Depends on Mourinhos take in whether he goes for it or nit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Robson99 wrote: »
    And we scored one goal in two games against them last year. Depends on Mourinhos take in whether he goes for it or nit

We're scoring a lot more in general this year, evidence so far is we will score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Mourinho will not go for it and it would be a fair call. Backing his defence and then our attack to hit them on the counter is a smart plan pre-match, whether it give us a result or not.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

What do you mean by go for it?

Jose will go into the game like any other, to score and try to stop them scoring. He will set the side up to control the game to get what he wants.

He won't be wreckless, especially, after an international break with not much preperation time for the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

DM_7 wrote: »
    What do you mean by go for it?

By playing the complete opposite to the way we played at Anfield last year where our wide men practically played as full backs and we created nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

S.M.B. wrote: »
    A few bookies have shortened Uniteds odds as a result of today's game and have both teams at 8/5 to win. Others still have Liverpool as favourites.

I wouldn't be too confident betting on the game to be honest.

There could be a few people here licking wounds in 2 weeks time.

Looking forward to it though.

All things being equal, two evenly matched teams in the PL would be 5/4 home team, 11/4 away, 23/10 or so the draw, depending on margins. The fact that United are almost favs for the game at Anfield, shows how the markets (almost all huge Asian syndicate based) rate the respective sides currently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Completely different team playing them this year, as long as the big hitters get through the international break theys going down. United win with both teams to score would be my prediction. 3-1 to be exact.

I consistently read they look good up top.
    They haven't won in 7 games and don't have an out an out striker.
    That's not good up top.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    That's not good up top.

Because their stats are boosted by the fact they take a load of stupid shots so they can claim to have created x amount of shots. Opposition managers also know that the best chance of scoring against them is to let them have possession and hit them when they make a mistake which allows them to claim to have x amount of possession. They have two really good players. That's it as far as I can see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Mourinho will not go for it and it would be a fair call. Backing his defence and then our attack to hit them on the counter is a smart plan pre-match, whether it give us a result or not.

I assume we will play 3 cm's, Matic, Fellaini & Pogba/Herrera. Again I assume Lukaku & Mkhi will be automatic with one of Rashford/Martial/Mata.

Keep it solid & wait for the chances.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

That's not good up top.

Mane and Salah have a tonne of pace and energy, which makes them dangerous. But they seem to struggle against tight defences. Klopp basically needs teams to play open, high line football against them. Stay a bit deeper and they don't have a plan B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    All things being equal, two evenly matched teams in the PL would be 5/4 home team, 11/4 away, 23/10 or so the draw, depending on margins. The fact that United are almost favs for the game at Anfield, shows how the markets (almost all huge Asian syndicate based) rate the respective sides currently
    I'm not saying all things are equal. For United to have the same price as Pool then the markets obviously rate united more at the moment.

But the game is in Anfield and the odds reflect that too.

I just know I don't plan on taking the piss out of Liverpool fans for the next 2 weeks cause payback is a bitch. It's nice to be going into thus tie full of confidence and with Liverpool struggling to win but that doesn't guarantee 3 points.

And I fully expect José to setup to not concede first and foremost. Hopefully the game pans out more like our game yesterday and not our trip to stoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Jayop wrote: »
    Opposition managers also know that the best chance of scoring against them is to let them have possession and hit them when they make a mistake which allows them to claim to have x amount of possession.

Which is exactly what everybody knew about Liverpool last year, the fact it still works so well says a lot about their manager.

Apparently Pereira played a stormer last night in La Liga

A 10 point lead over Liverpool after 8 games would be pretty sweet, and a lot to make back up. Draw would be alright I guess. After so many poor years I still think the objective for this season is Champions League qualification and anything else is a bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

A 10 point lead over Liverpool after 8 games would be pretty sweet, and a lot to make back up. Draw would be alright I guess. After so many poor years I still think the objective for this season is Champions League qualification and anything else is a bonus.

The objective this season is a strong title charge and good run in champions league.

We are not Arsenal

• Advertisement

I still fear Chelsea more than any other club. Ourselves and Chelsea have the best TEAMS in the league by a distance.

pjohnson wrote: »
    I still fear Chelsea more than any other club. Ourselves and Chelsea have the best TEAMS in the league by a distance.

did you not see what city did to them at the weekend?!

bangkok wrote: »
    did you not see what city did to them at the weekend?!

Yeah, wasnt that impressive. Oooh they had more of the posssession big sh*t. LVG would be still here if possession meant sh*t. Chelsea were exhausted after Atletico and had so many poor performances.

Yeah, wasnt that impressive. Oooh they had more of the posssession big sh*t. LVG would be still here if possession meant sh*t. Chelsea were exhausted after Atletico and had so many poor performances.

they dominated them, 14 shots compared to chelsea's 4.....at stamford bridge.

they also won the game

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Definitely think the fact that city were home midweek, had an extra days rest and didn't play athletico will have been a massive factor in that performance from chelsea. Not a true reflection of where chelsea are imo.

they dominated them, 14 shots compared to chelsea's 4.....at stamford bridge.

they also won the game

2 of Chelseas 4 were on target whereas 6/17 of Citys were on target. They didnt score 17 goals so shots dont win games (especially when nearly 2/3 of OFF target) no more than possession. I suppose you'll now say City had more corners to explain the win?

De Bruyne scored a cracker from distance to win the game. No "team" magic. Chelsea were p*ss poor and offered very little offensively before Morata went off and then nothing once he trudged off and they had NO striker.

2 of Chelseas 4 were on target whereas 6/17 of Citys were on target. They didnt score 17 goals so shots dont win games (especially when nearly 2/3 of OFF target) no more than possession. I suppose you'll now say City had more corners to explain the win?

De Bruyne scored a cracker from distance to win the game. No "team" magic. Chelsea were p*ss poor and offered very little offensively before Morata went off and then nothing once he trudged off and they had NO striker.

again that is not citys fault. Chelsea brought on Willian for Morata when they had a striker sitting on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Still Hungover from weekend.

Its great watching United again. Its great see us scoring goals. Yes we are going meet tougher opponents but this season already looks more promising.

Oh I offically got my 2nd Degree on Saturday too. A nice 2:1 and by hell will it be last time I ever set foot in college.Freedom!! No more College! Yahoooooo

Still Hungover from weekend.

Its great watching United again. Its great see us scoring goals. Yes we are going meet tougher opponents but this season already looks more promising.

Oh I offically got my 2nd Degree on Saturday too. A nice 2:1 and by hell will it be last time I ever set foot in college.Freedom!! No more College! Yahoooooo

Now you get to join the drudgery of the common working man, toiling away for a pittance, only for "the man" to take a chunk out of it each month.

The way thing's are going by the time you reach retirement age you will be near 70 and your life will nearly over anyway.

Congrats, I guess.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Now you get to join the drudgery of the common working man, toiling away for a pittance, only for "the man" to take a chunk out of it each month.

The way thing's are going by the time you reach retirement age you will be near 70 and your life will nearly over anyway.

:

Was night time course so was tough 4 years of work and study. But hopefully reward comes.

Way things are going Retirment will be 75 if Im lucky to make it to then:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

United front 3 this season

Lukaku 11 goals 1 assist

Rashford 5 goals 5 assists

Martial 5 goals 4 assists

Would anyone else be worried about adding zlatan into the mix if we are still flying it when he is coming back or would he add to it? I really hope his game time is limited or earned it would be some kick in the teeth to martial if zlatan came straight back on and on the bench and martial or rashford were dropped.

jayo26 wrote: »

Lukaku 11 goals 1 assist

Would anyone else be worried about adding zlatan into the mix if we are still flying it when he is coming back or would he add to it? I really hope his game time is limited or earned it would be some kick in the teeth to martial if zlatan came straight back on and on the bench and martial or rashford were dropped.

I'd love to find the post I made during the summer guesstimating how many goals each player would get.

Delighted we didnt sign Perisic now after watching Martial and Rashford rip it up so far this season

Of course I'm not fact checking this before I post it, but it's damn impressive...

Since start of 2015-16 PL season :
    Hazard 71 games 20 goals 8 assists
    Martial 62 games 18 goals 12 assists

Delighted we didnt sign Perisic now after watching Martial and Rashford rip it up so far this season

Don't forget Ashley Young out wide!

• Advertisement

Congrats, I guess.

:pac:

Ironically this post comes from the Business Cat, the big-business tycoon :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Sooner pogba back the better though. Big games coming up, need our best players on the pitch

Becoming evident very quickly teams not pressing our midfield and crowding out Mhikitaryian.

While its allowing some free reign out wide, Mhiki at 10 is getting swamped by 2-3 players nearly every attack, such is the lack of creativity in a pair of Fellaini and Matic.

I think it's actually fine, as its leaving some 1v1's etc. for Rashford/Martial and Mata isn't getting a lot of attention, but I just hoke Mhiki is being accurately praised in terms of how difficult it has become for him. Managers clearly identifying him as a massive threat after the start he made and hes getting crowded out. Needs to be clever now to work out how to influence games with all that attention, with even just his movement

Ironically this post comes from the Business Cat, the big-business tycoon :pac:

Not been keeping up with the thread in YLYL, Mick?

Went and lost it all so I did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

TheDoc wrote: »
    Becoming evident very quickly teams not pressing our midfield and crowding out Mhikitaryian.

While its allowing some free reign out wide, Mhiki at 10 is getting swamped by 2-3 players nearly every attack, such is the lack of creativity in a pair of Fellaini and Matic.

I think it's actually fine, as its leaving some 1v1's etc. for Rashford/Martial and Mata isn't getting a lot of attention, but I just hoke Mhiki is being accurately praised in terms of how difficult it has become for him. Managers clearly identifying him as a massive threat after the start he made and hes getting crowded out. Needs to be clever now to work out how to influence games with all that attention, with even just his movement

He needs to do what Hazzard didn't do vs us - pull his markers out of the game and leave space for others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

jayo26 wrote: »

Lukaku 11 goals 1 assist

Be good to give Lukaku a break, so Jose doesn't do a Pogba and run him into the ground.

Zlatan is some player to call upon for league cup,FA Cup and dead CL games, and just a different proposition.

There is no way he walks into the team and he and everyone likely knows it, but that is a serious weapon to call upon when he is fit.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement