Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

TheDoc wrote: »
    Be good to give Lukaku a break, so Jose doesn't do a Pogba and run him into the ground.

Zlatan is some player to call upon for league cup,FA Cup and dead CL games, and just a different proposition.

There is no way he walks into the team and he and everyone likely knows it, but that is a serious weapon to call upon when he is fit.

3 at the back last season was the big thing with Chelsea and Arsenal going with it this year, imagine we go 3 up front Zlatan, Lukaku and either Rashford or Martial, teams wont know what has hit them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Not sure I'd like to see that 3 up top. I do Ibra is happy to take a spot on the bench going forward and filling in when needs be.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Not sure I'd like to see that 3 up top. I do Ibra is happy to take a spot on the bench going forward and filling in when needs be.

ah i was only messing, 3 up top would be a disaster, everyone getting in each others way. its either zlatan or lukaku up top in any game

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Jayop wrote: »
    I'd love to find the post I made during the summer guesstimating how many goals each player would get.

I'm not sure it was you but someone said they were expecting 40+ goals from Lukaku, and I pretty much laughed it off as being too much of a demand on him.

Well it looks like I was wrong. Who's laughing now!

hqdefault.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Nah I didn't go that mad. Probably would have said 25+ though.

Nah I didn't go that mad. Probably would have said 25+ though.

I probably still was saying it was demanding :P
    He's had such a crazy goal return that I wasn't predicting at all.

Wonder how long it will continue for.
    Ruud is backing him anyway!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/romelu-lukaku-manchester-united-goal-11104357

From Barney Roney's article late last week on Fellaini and Mata. This excerpt is on Fellaini...
    The last time Manchester United lost a game that Fellaini started was the 4-0 to Chelsea in October 2016. Of his last 45 first-team appearances only three have ended in defeat. One was as an 89th-minute sub in the EFL Cup semi-final second leg. Another was the FA Cup game at Chelsea where Ander Herrera was sent off. The last was against Real Madrid in the European Super Cup in August, when United actually “won” during Fellaini’s 35 minutes on the pitch.

Change that 45 to 46 now as well. That's an impressive enough set of statistics.

I wonder how much Fellaini would go for at the moment?

29 and in the last year of his contract? Probably sub 20m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I wonder how much Fellaini would go for at the moment?

In todays market, 30+

• Advertisement

29 and in the last year of his contract? Probably sub 20m.
    We are looking to extend, aren't we? Do we have an option to auto-extend?

Not sure, I just know from that article that both he and Mata are in their last year and are both 29. You'd imagine we have an option though. Still don't see either commanding what we paid for them even in this mad market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Off topic but...Tom Petty R.I.P.

Gutted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

El Confidential aren't massively trustworthy but they are reporting Ozil is close to agreeing a deal with us to Us in the summer.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    El Confidential aren't massively trustworthy but they are reporting Ozil is close to agreeing a deal with us to Us in the summer.

Cant stand ozil but would take him on a free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Ugh, no thanks. Even on a free.

Lazy shíte.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Where would he even fit in the team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

God no

No no no no!

I dont want that lazy waster near the team

He'd be 29 and I couldn't imagine him displacing Mkhi, unless Jose still doesn't trust him....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Mourinho has worked with him before. I trust his judgement on ozil. Whether we are after him is something else.

He seems so un-mourinho like. Even if they have crossed paths before.

He seems so un-mourinho like. Even if they have crossed paths before.

Would it not be widely accepted Ozil was at his best, and utterly world class, under Jose?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I remember Ozil was linked to us in around the time he signed for Arsenal.

I trust Jose knows what he is doing if he wants him.

I'd imagine the idea would be...
    Lukaku
    Martial - Ozil - Griezmann
    Pogba - Matic

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Mignolet thinks Liverpool can use the United game to turn their season around.

They suddenly find a defence for the season?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

RobertKK wrote: »

Christ what's he been smoking? And has he seen the porous back line in front of him every week?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

RobertKK wrote: »

Must be going playing CB himself :D

Would it not be widely accepted Ozil was at his best, and utterly world class, under Jose?
    Maybe, but I believe a lot of people were equally aware of his limitations as a player during that same time period.

Lukaku
    Pogba - Matic

Ozil over mata???!!! No chance. Look at the big game stats between the 2. Also ozil is a lazy player. Would hate to see him in a utd shirt

He wouldnt have been sold to arsenal if he was world class. He gave the ball to ronaldo and ronaldo scored after beating 3 or 4 players or a screamer from 30 yards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

J. Marston wrote: »
    Ugh, no thanks. Even on a free.

Lazy shíte.
    Headshot wrote: »
    God no

No no no no!

I dont want that lazy waster near the team

Pure ignorance tbh. He's far from lazy and far from a waster. He consistently covers more distance per game than the majority of players. He is also up at the top of the charts in chances created and key passes in the premier league since he signed.
    Just because his body language doesn't look great half the time doesn't mean that he's lazy and a waster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I'm not sure it was you but someone said they were expecting 40+ goals from Lukaku, and I pretty much laughed it off as being too much of a demand on him.

Well it looks like I was wrong. Who's laughing now!

hqdefault.jpg

Haha I think it was me u laughed at. I was saying judging by his scoring rate at Everton to the chances he got. Compared to the chances zlatan got last year and the extra games lukaku would have this year we should easily expect High 30s from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Of course I'm not fact checking this before I post it, but it's damn impressive...

Since start of 2015-16 PL season :
    Hazard 71 games 20 goals 8 assists
    Martial 62 games 18 goals 12 assists

These are accurate, so you don't have to worry ;)

Also to add few more stats.
    bR9L8IU.jpg

bangkok wrote: »
    Ozil over mata???!!! No chance. Look at the big game stats between the 2. Also ozil is a lazy player. Would hate to see him in a utd shirt

what stats?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Lukaku
    Pogba - Matic

Ozil is past it. Dont need him especially if Grizeman coming in. Also would have Rashford and Mickey in the team before him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Ozil is the best no. 10 in the world imo. Once he's in a stable system his passing is unparalleled. He's gone off the boil a bit the last year but that's more to do with Arsenal's limitations than his own. Him feeding Martial, Lukaku, Rashford and others would be great. That said though he'd not be a huge upgrade on Mata who is absolutely class too even if he's not played much through the middle for United.

Whether it would work without cramping Pogba's style is another question but would be a great addition on a free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I’ll believe the Ozil rumour when I see it. Doesn’t make much sense unless the idea is to sell Mata and or Mkhitaryan to recoup some funds for the club. Selling Mata for around £25 to £30 million and getting Ozil on a free is decent business but are we that hard up for transfer cash?

jayo26 wrote: »
    Haha I think it was me u laughed at. I was saying judging by his scoring rate at Everton to the chances he got. Compared to the chances zlatan got last year and the extra games lukaku would have this year we should easily expect High 30s from him.

haha I knew it was one of the Jayos :P

Well he's definitely on course for it! How wrong I was.

bangkok wrote: »

Mata can't even nail down the #10 position as it stands. I love the guy but it's clear that Jose favours Mkhi in the current team in that position. That lineup sees Griezmann replace Mata on the right flank, not Ozil.
    So the discussion would be, in this scenario and if there's any truth to the rumours, if Mkhi or Ozil would be our #10, cause Mata ain't even in that conversation without Ozil.

• Advertisement

Mata can't even nail down the #10 position as it stands. I love the guy but it's clear that Jose favours Mkhi in the current team in that position. That lineup sees Griezmann replace Mata on the right flank, not Ozil.
    So the discussion would be, in this scenario and if there's any truth to the rumours, if Mkhi or Ozil would be our #10, cause Mata ain't even in that conversation without Ozil.

Mkhi or mata would still be there before ozil imo. Mata is class and is criminally under rated by a lot of people in here

Ozil can be amazing but tbh I'd far prefer either of the aforementioned united players. Attitude matters, it effects a squad and at the minute we seem to have a real togetherness that can't be underestimated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Ozil is a luxury player. As luxury as they come. He is absolutely lethal as a #10 but will do less than fúck all outside of being the ideal #10.

You won't get him tracking back and defending, and he's shíte at it too. If you play him, you leave him to roam up top as the #10 and leave the heavy lifting to the rest of the team.

He's only 28. If the rest of the team is solid, and I believe it is under Jose, then Ozil would thrive in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Mata is out of contract at the end of the season AFIK.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I think Ozil, on his day, can be a world class talent and can be a key player and creative force in the biggest games. He has proven that.

His defensive work and pressing can be and are questioned though.

I think he is a better user of the ball that Mkhitaryan, whose passing can let him down at times. I think Mkhitaryan is a better carrier of the ball.

On the one hand I can’t see a particular need for him - he can be world class but he is also inconsistent in that application. We have Mata and Miki who are, at least, similar type of players - maybe they are better in some aspects maybe they are worse in others - so there really isn’t a NEED for Ozil, he wouldn’t offer something we are completely lacking.

However, there are a few things in favour of signing him, imo.

1. He can be world class.
    2. He has worked with Mourinho and Mourinho is a fan.
    3. He would be on a free - signing on fee and wages would be big, but still a high ‘value’ signing.

The big reason for signing him, actually gets away from a Ozil vs Mata/Miki argument:

If United want to be the best team around, and compete for/win the CL - why should we not be aiming to stack the squad with top quality players where we can? City have Aguero, Jesus, Sane, De Bruyne, Silva, Silva and Sterling all competing in similar areas and want to add Sanchez to that. Madrid have Ronaldo, Bale and Benzema - with Isco and Asensio backing that, and wanted to sign Mbappe (and 100% never, ever, sell Bale to make room).

The biggest clubs have a wealth of talent, and can call on world class players off the bench.

If Mourinho wants Ozil. If Ozil is happy to fight for a first team spot with others - why not? If he doesn’t work hard enough we have other players who could simply retain their spot?

If I’m offered an attacking line up choice between Lukaku, Greizman, Mata, Miki, Ozil, Martial and Rashford…. Yeah, I’m happy out.

beno619 wrote: »
    Mata is out of contract at the end of the season AFIK.....

Interesting what happens. He's 29 currently, prime of his career.
    You would have thought that some sort of contract discussion is happening if we are to keep him by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Interesting what happens. He's 29 currently, prime of his career.
    You would have thought that some sort of contract discussion is happening if we are to keep him by now.

Club have option to extend by 12 months, same with Herrera. I'd imagine the club is deciding whether to offer new multi year contracts or extend by 12 months and re-evaluate next year. Personally hope both get long term contracts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Also, whatever I said about Ozil above - if United are looking to add in that position, I would be looking at Ali if possible.

• Advertisement

Also, whatever I said about Ozil above - if United are looking to add in that position, I would be looking at Ali if possible.

If Ozil is being looked at, I'd imagine his price would be a big factor. He'd facilitate spending of cash in other positions.

Alli, I wouldn't like to think how much he'd be going for, and I can't see us splashing €100m on Griezmann AND €100m+ on Alli as well, on top of new top level full backs (and it looks like we'll need one each side) which will be at least 35-50m each.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement