Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Lord TSC wrote: »
    If Ozil is being looked at, I'd imagine his price would be a big factor. He'd facilitate spending of cash in other positions.

Alli, I wouldn't like to think how much he'd be going for, and I can't see us splashing €100m on Griezmann AND €100m+ on Alli as well, on top of new top level full backs (and it looks like we'll need one each side) which will be at least 35-50m each.

True.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Majority of arsenal fans i know cant stand ozil and would be happy to see him gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

bangkok wrote: »
    Majority of arsenal fans i know cant stand ozil and would be happy to see him gone.

That's because they have no midfield and a ropey defence. Ozil is not the type of player you can have in your XI when you don't have the steel in defence to allow his style of play.

Good player, good club, wrong time, imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

bangkok wrote: »

Arsenal have perfected the "Didn't want him anyway" attitude over the last decade. They're the last group of fans I'd listen to when their players are being linked away from them....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Dont really think I'd like Ozil. Generally prefer a younger player. Andreas is also doing well in La Liga again so if we need a midfielder why not him? If we do give up on Andreas then I still I dont think Özil is the type that will fight for his position but rather sulk. He is also a bit old for my liking. Matic and Zlatan are different since they both fill VERY specific roles.

If we wanted another attacker I'd prefer we go for Leon Bailey (Genk), Julian Brandt (Leverkusen) or Richardely (sp?) Bazoer (Ajax). A younger player who could form an attack for many years beside Lukaku, Martial, Rashford.

• Advertisement

Arsenal have perfected the "Didn't want him anyway" attitude over the last decade. They're the last group of fans I'd listen to when their players are being linked away from them....

But surely even watching him yourself over the last 4 seasons you can see yourself his attitude stinks and in any of the big games he is a total flop. Never seen so many ex arsenals legends slate a player more than ozil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The fact people class Ozil as as a luxury player yet he was first choice in a Jose Mourinho team should speak volumes about how good he is. If he does leave Arsenal it'll be to an elite team.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    That's because they have no midfield and a ropey defence. Ozil is not the type of player you can have in your XI when you don't have the steel in defence to allow his style of play.

Good player, good club, wrong time, imo.

Yeah this is exactly what I was thinking. If you stuck him at #10 with other guys like Matic, Pogba, Fellaini in the side then he could do real damage and the team could still afford to not have him put in a big defensive shift.

For cheap/free I'd certainly take him. Go for Sanchez while we're at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I think I'm right in the middle of the Ozil is a lazy bastard/Ozil works harder than any team mate debate.

I don't think he covers as much ground as other players and I feel he tires easily but I don't think it's down to his attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭xtal191

Jaysus lads Ozil on a free is a no brainer, I could understand people being annoyed if we were looking to spend €30m+ on him but for free he'd make a great addition to the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I think I'm right in the middle of the Ozil is a lazy bastard/Ozil works harder than any team mate debate.

I don't think he covers as much ground as other players and I feel he tires easily but I don't think it's down to his attitude.

Jose used to take him off a lot at Real. If you can get 60 top class minutes out of him and bring on another fresh player there's no problem really. Despite Mkhitaryan's assist record this season I feel his use of the ball has been substandard for the most part and Ozil would improve that.

I mean, on a free he's a no brainer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Still Hungover from weekend.

Its great watching United again. Its great see us scoring goals. Yes we are going meet tougher opponents but this season already looks more promising.

Oh I offically got my 2nd Degree on Saturday too. A nice 2:1 and by hell will it be last time I ever set foot in college.Freedom!! No more College! Yahoooooo

Fair play to ya lad! Good on ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Still Hungover from weekend.

Its great watching United again. Its great see us scoring goals. Yes we are going meet tougher opponents but this season already looks more promising.

Oh I offically got my 2nd Degree on Saturday too. A nice 2:1 and by hell will it be last time I ever set foot in college.Freedom!! No more College! Yahoooooo

You're some boy Kew...
    Well impressed with you...

Mars helping out with Juventus
    Kew gains a second degree
    Brinty got a promotion ;)

Anyone else have some good news worthy of celebrating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Reemeber before the season started people doubted Joses approach. A good few saying he wasnt the man for us and his attitude wasnt that of the United way.

Im delighted with how we have taken this season by the horns thus far. Looking forward to our first big test in Liverpool away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

brinty wrote: »
    You're some boy Kew...

Come back to me in a month :)

You're some boy Kew...

Juventus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You're some boy Kew...

I found one of the old style Kitkat Chunkies in a charity tray at reception today, the proper tasting ones not those manky coffee flavoured things they relaunched as. Had it with a cup of tea, it was amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

You're some boy Kew...

The missus who is a big Liverpool fan (I know I know) has given me the go ahead to buy United branded clothes and bibs for the baby due soon :D it's the little things haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

astradave wrote: »
    The missus who is a big Liverpool fan (I know I know) has given me the go ahead to buy United branded clothes and bibs for the baby due soon :D it's the little things haha

agh Dave... Liverpool.. seriously....

Apparently, Memphis threw his shirt to the Lyon fans after their 3-3 draw against Angers, and the fans threw it back. So not going great for him.

Meanwhile, Mr Sadomacism Van Gaal himself is apparently in line for the vacant Bayern job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Van Gaal probably steady the ship well at Bayern given how he essentially laid the foundation for the Pepelona way of playing.

Imagine he won the Champions League with them :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Meanwhile, Mr Sadomacism Van Gaal himself is apparently in line for the vacant Bayern job.

Surely not? Did Rummenigge not publicly slate him a few times in the papers about his Ego, style of play and vision?
    Would find that one a bit bizarre if it happened.

I'm trying to think who else is available...Moyes? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Surely not? Did Rummenigge not publicly slate him a few times in the papers about his Ego, style of play and vision?
    Would find that one a bit bizarre if it happened.

I'm trying to think who else is available...Moyes? :pac:

apparently it is the Hoffenheim manager who will be getting the job, but not until the summer. So if that is the case then its just a stop gap appointment they'll be going for.

I found one of the old style Kitkat Chunkies in a charity tray at reception today, the proper tasting ones not those manky coffee flavoured things they relaunched as. Had it with a cup of tea, it was amazing.

WTF do you mean "old style"???? Am I about to secretly discover I'm elderly again? They aren't old?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Liam O wrote: »
    Jose used to take him off a lot at Real. If you can get 60 top class minutes out of him and bring on another fresh player there's no problem really. Despite Mkhitaryan's assist record this season I feel his use of the ball has been substandard for the most part and Ozil would improve that.

I mean, on a free he's a no brainer.
    Yep, it's a big reason I wasn't devastated when we didn't get him when he left Madrid.

He'd be a very good addition to the squad and can be world class at times but José is fully aware of his limitations too.

I wonder how easy it would be to keep players of the calibre of Ozil, Mhkyi, Mata, Martial, Ibra happy without guaranteeing them all 90 minutes in their favoured positions? No easy task I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I’m all for 19 to 22 year olds fighting for a start (Rashford and Martial) but i think a group of 28 to 30 year olds fighting for a place doesn’t fill me with confidence that they won’t get the hump and become a problem instead of providing competition to each other. I think a good mix is two youngsters fighting it out, or a youngster and a veteran. But three almost 30 year olds?!

• Advertisement

GSPfan wrote: »
    I’m all for 19 to 22 year olds fighting for a start (Rashford and Martial) but i think a group of 28 to 30 year olds fighting for a place doesn’t fill me with confidence that they won’t get the hump and become a problem instead of providing competition to each other. I think a good mix is two youngsters fighting it out, or a youngster and a veteran. But three almost 30 year olds?!

Agreed

Meh.

Teams like Juvi and Bayern get adoration lumped onto them for securing "older" (and 29 ain't old) players for next to nothing. Ozil on a free could have potential to be a stunning piece of business if Jose could reignite the form he showed under him at Real. This idea of "can't buy players over a certain age" annoys me cause we have loads of younger players already. Bringing in Ozil on a free while then bringing in younger players too would be a good move imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

You're some boy Kew...

Found out my job is safe for 3 years today the company was giving the contract to sign today :D
    No moving company’s with the contract is a great feeling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Ozil presents little risk tbh.

Even if he proved an absolute pudding for us we'd still be able to sell him for at least £15 to £20 million after 12 months so it's minimum risk with massive potential rewards.

It's not like we would be signing "The Ox" for £40 odd million.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

agh Dave... Liverpool.. seriously....

I can go one better, or worse considering the context of this situation, but my oh is a Man City supporter.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

You're some boy Kew...

Desperately trying to break into the design industry after graduating in May, have a phone interview with a company tomorrow in Manchester, this'll be my 3rd interview so far, 2nd for a Manchester company, 3rd time lucky maybe!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Good luck dude.

Of and I'm on the first day of my holidays so that's something to celebrate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Lads where’s the positivity train?? The thing would be choc a block today/tonight....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

I just ate an entire pack of jammy dodgers by myself.

Thankfully back in training tomorrow for the first time since hernia surgery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Christmas > Halloween

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

You're some boy Kew...

Yeah, we're gonna beat ya on Monday night without Bale, just to show we can :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

You're some boy Kew...

I went on a date with a female last Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

astradave wrote: »

Is that like when a Catholic marries a Protestant and the kid is supposed to be brought up a Catholic?

paulbok wrote: »
    Is that like when a Catholic marries a Protestant and the kid is supposed to be brought up a Catholic?

Ha the kid will be a United and Bohs fan whether they like it or not.. Good thing about the missus is that she's a big football fan in general so football does be on the tv all the time :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

pjohnson wrote: »
    WTF do you mean "old style"???? Am I about to secretly discover I'm elderly again? They aren't old?

They have changed the recipe, you'll see the wrappers saying "now with extra milk and cocoa!!!", which means they have cut costs on the chocolate and now they taste like manky coffee. :mad:

They have changed the recipe, you'll see the wrappers saying "now with extra milk and cocoa!!!", which means they have cut costs on the chocolate and now they taste like manky coffee. :mad:

The defo aint as rich as they used to be. They were amazing when they first came out as one long finger, then they changed it into three parts now into 2.. still probably the best bar out there though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Will be a serious fcuk up if we can’t beat Liverpool with the current state of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

I went on a date with a female last Friday.

What species?

Will be a serious fcuk up if we can’t beat Liverpool with the current state of things.

Liverpool at anfield regardless of form is probably our toughest match of the season and form goes out the window

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Lads where’s the positivity train?? The thing would be choc a block today/tonight....

That still a thing?
    Cos it seems I'm still on it!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement