Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

What's the bet Martinez will play lukaku just to **** with us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Unearthly wrote: »
    Herrera Matic and possibly Jones if fit?

Why would Jones be midfield? Mkhitaryan would be the 3rd midfielder ahead of Herrera - Matic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Maybe José will go with 5 at the back against Liverpool with the AM injuries?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Lukaku
    Rashford ---Mkhi--- Mata
    Herrera - Matic
    Young - Bailly - Jones - Valencia
    DDG

At a guess?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I just can't see José going into his first big away test with that line up unfortunately.

I'll say one of mhki or mata to be replaced by Smalling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

pjohnson wrote: »
    Why would Jones be midfield? Mkhitaryan would be the 3rd midfielder ahead of Herrera - Matic

Chelsea game last season he used him as a destroyer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Never thought i would say it but Fellaini will be a massive loss against liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

bangkok wrote: »
    Never thought i would say it but Fellaini will be a massive loss against liverpool.

f4b9d9bd8ea2aeed3e6b342d6def873a7c666514_hq.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/MirrorFootball/status/916780907335442432

Just leave it David,you flopped and set the club back. No need for another interview about how hard the job was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

https://twitter.com/MirrorFootball/status/916780907335442432

Just leave it David,you flopped and set the club back. No need for another interview about how hard the job was.

No doubt taken way out of context coming from the sun so wouldn't take any notice of it.

• Advertisement

Its disappointing about Fellaini Im not sure why but I had it in my head Jose was going to use Fellaini to bypass Liverpools press like LVG did before, couldn't imagine Gini or Henderson being able to deal with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

No reason why Matic, Herrera and Mkhi/Mata shouldn't be able to gain superiority through the centre against them tbh. Especially good chance for Herrera to prove that he is up to it at this level which I've never been totally convinced by.

Maybe Lingard could play in front of Matic and Herrera. I think he's better in that position than on the wing and has impressed me when played there in the past. Would have more work ethic than Mata or Mkhi too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Go wan Gomes

what a goal

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

If you guys are not watching England U17 then you are missing superb Gomes show.

He came on as a sub (had a knock, so was on bench), created 3 superb chances and scored from free kick. He played for about 15 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

I hope lukaku has a bit of sense now and tell martinez he doesnt want to play next game for belgium

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Rashford injured, this international would want to **** off seriously

Edit, back on but my point still stands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Aren't they already qualified? Why bring him back on if they are.

International managers are the biggest wasters. So many failed crap club managers who fall into these jobs by way of being lickspittles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

That two man midfield formation is a dangerous game to play away from home. I really hope we don’t line up like that.

A midfield three would be the preferred option but with the injuries I think we may see a back three with the wingbacks pushed on to fill the space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Its disappointing about Fellaini Im not sure why but I had it in my head Jose was going to use Fellaini to bypass Liverpools press like LVG did before, couldn't imagine Gini or Henderson being able to deal with him.

Have you seen liverpool past month or so? The so called press is non existent this season nearly every team has allowed them have the ball.

No doubt they will turn up and put on a good display against us and will probably get something out if it but I don't think they will win it by playing the beautiful football they seemingly have been playing since Klopp took over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Mkhi played as a DM for Armenia apparently and still scored a cracker of a counter attack goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Would love some more of this on Saturday.....

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaBRXzblgAk/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Good show on for Sir Bobby last night on BBC.

Some man to strike a ball!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Its Liverpool, end of.

Go out and batter them.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'm rather surprised at that.

He has been consistently great of course, but I wouldn't have said that he had had the sort of standout year with big game winning moments that would propel him into Ballon d'or territory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,372 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

He has been consistently great of course, but I wouldn't have said that he had had the sort of standout year with big game winning moments that would propel him into Ballon d'or territory.

what is the shortlist though?

what is the shortlist though?

Haven't a clue, I've only seen the link posted.

30 on the list in total - 15 have been announced so far.

Neymar (PSG), Luka Modric (Real Madrid), Paulo Dybala (Juventus), Marcelo (Real Madrid), N'Golo Kante (Chelsea), Luis Suarez (Barcelona), Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid), Philippe Coutinho (Liverpool), Jan Oblak (Atletico Madrid), Dries Mertens (Napoli), Kevin De Bruyne (Manchester City), Harry Kane (Tottenham), Robert Lewandowski (Bayern Munich), David De Gea (Manchester United), Edin Dzeko (Roma).

• Advertisement

30 on the list in total

Me and FIFA have very different ideas on what constitutes a shortlist...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Nothing to do with FIFA any more. France Football took it back last year. FIFAs one is now called 'FIFAs The Best'.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Its Liverpool, end of.

Go out and batter them.

Like last year, twice :D

Like last year, twice :D

Always talking about the past ain't ye :D

Well, as a percentage of the total number of footballers....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

I will delete and jog on :o

Shout out to zerks anyway! He's awol!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

M!Ck^ wrote: »

atta boi M!Ck^

M!Ck^ wrote: »

He changed his name cause he couldn’t live with being Zerks anymore. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Anyone else thinking about Zlatan's return? I'm excited at the prospect of him returning as the same effective player who left, but am wary at the possibility of him not being that same player. I can't write him off though until I see what he has to offer. Not this player.

As a massive fan of his, and an ultimate fan of that type of player, I'm outrageously hyped at the prospect of his return

Ludicrous player that I feel privileged to have watched last season playing for us and I'm hoping if I get over this season he'll be playing.

• Advertisement

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I need that website Jayo so I can design my own United potm awards for people :P

Poster of The Month would be unreal :D

J. Marston wrote: »
    Fúck Martinez anyway.

Belgium were qualified months ago. Play second stringers.

Could argue Fellaini is second string typically in that team, although his form at present has been pretty good.

I just hope Jose uses him to give Lukaku a break when needed, to play two up top in *some* fixtures or as a Plan B option.

I really don't want to see him move us away from the style/formation we currently have working quite well for us just to shoehorn Ibrahimovic into the side.

Zlatan needs to be a backup/second choice when he returns. not a first 11 fixture. If he is a first 11 fixture, we will be going backwards, imo.

Shortlist always has weird people on it. In fairness considering De Gea is top 3 in his position he should be name checked.

Neuer has slipped a bit in terms of his standards, Courtous hasn't gone onto be the all dominating keeper I thought he would, so there is a good arguement for De Gea being the best keeper in the world at the moment. Oblak getting in feels a bit flavour of the month to me

And sure when you see Modric in the shortlist and not Kroos, you realise how broken these things can be

I just hope Jose uses him to give Lukaku a break when needed, to play two up top in *some* fixtures or as a Plan B option.

I really don't want to see him move us away from the style/formation we currently have working quite well for us just to shoehorn Ibrahimovic into the side.

Zlatan needs to be a backup/second choice when he returns. not a first 11 fixture. If he is a first 11 fixture, we will be going backwards, imo.

I don't think there is any chance or likelyhood Zlatan will be coming back first choice, so not overly sure on where that fear comes from.

I thought from the details of his contract and the option to take him back on, it was looking clear he would be reserve striker.

In saying that, could still make an important contribution and imagine he will. Jose I'd say already is having wet dreams about needing a winner and for the last 20 minutes having balls pumped into the box containing Zlatan, Lukaku and Fellaini

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

As relentlessly excellent as DeGea has been he's probably had his least influential season ever for United last year. Still deserved to get on a thirty man shortlist I guess but unless you're winning your league or champions league you should be on a much shorter list.

Jayop wrote: »
    As relentlessly excellent as DeGea has been he's probably had his least influential season ever for United last year. Still deserved to get on a thirty man shortlist I guess but unless you're winning your league or champions league you should be on a much shorter list.

Totally disagree with that, to be honest.

Winning trophies is about a team. Winning an award such as this should be down to individual excellence. You can be individually excellent without your team winning cups - if your team mate don't help, not much a player can do on his own.

Is it DDGs fault our forward players couldn't finish anything last season and we ended up drawing loads of games? Is it his fault LVG couldn't orgainise a team to breakdown the local under12s?

Was George Best rubbish cause he never did it at the world cup? How about Giggs?

Making a difference in the big games can be part of an argument, but was Suarez any less devestating last season despite not winning the CL or League? Is Messi not deserving of being on the list? Didn't win the league. Didn't win the CL and his national side on the cusp of not making the WC? Nah - Messi was awesome and deserves to be there.

TheDoc wrote: »
    I don't think there is any chance or likelyhood Zlatan will be coming back first choice, so not overly sure on where that fear comes from.

I thought from the details of his contract and the option to take him back on, it was looking clear he would be reserve striker.

In saying that, could still make an important contribution and imagine he will. Jose I'd say already is having wet dreams about needing a winner and for the last 20 minutes having balls pumped into the box containing Zlatan, Lukaku and Fellaini
    Jose played him every minute he could last season - not an indication on any level at all that Jose might see him as a first 11 player when he returns?

What details of his contract are you talking about - what detail make it clear he is a reserve striker?

Jayop wrote: »

That's a good thing for the team overall, but that can be even more impressive considering the amount of clean sheets and goals he has conceded. Made some pretty important and good saves still when called upon.

You tell the good from the average keepers apart for big teams when they pull off those sames in less frequency because the team is better defensively, and their concentration and focus is sharp.

Mingolet is the example of an average keeper. Actually doesn't face that many shots or chances, but manages to concede a fair bit. Bravo was another example, low amount of shots conceded but a high ratio of goals going in.

• Advertisement

Jose played him every minute he could last season - not an indication on any level at all that Jose might see him as a first 11 player when he returns?

What details of his contract are you talking about - what detail make it clear he is a reserve striker?

Played him last season because he was a goal machine and was playing well as a lone striker. This "shtick" of him slowing up the play I'm not sure I am totally agreeing with.

When the manager was playing a deep sitting team to try not concede, Ibra was the perfect lone striker as an outlet to hold up play. I think it's forgotten when we played a number of teams how important Zlatan was and how well he was playing.

When we were playing six at the back with our wide players as fullbacks in the big games, not sure what was expected of Zlatan, yeah, hes not going to pace down a centre half.

But there was also structural issues in the team. Mhiki was playing out wide, we rarely saw the combo of Martial and Mhiki when we went 4-3-3, which looked the most effective. Rooney was appearing at parts and times.

Now that Jose has settled on a predominant 4-2-3-1 (which actually is more of a 4-1-4-1 when I see the team at times) there is pure pace around the striker. Mhiki behind, Pogba coming from deep, Rashford/Martial out wide. There is pace around the striker. Something that was pointed out at lengths last year when he was trying to shoehorn Rooney and Zlatan into the same team, that Zlatan's lone striker interplay was excellent, just needs runners around him.

That Lukaku has pace also is a massive bonus, but I don't think the team structure will change to accomodate Zlatan. He needs that pace around him, he's as quick and shrewd in interplay as anyone. So I don't forsee any major problems at any stage when he arrives back.

I also thought it was clear(or was in just paper gossip)when he re-signed. I don't believe we triggered his one year option, instead gave him a new contract that has reduced terms.

Thought the manager was also pretty clear when it was announced
    “Zlatan knows me,” the manager said. “And he knows that I play the players that are the best for the team. I always did that in my life so, if he comes here and he proves that he is the best, he plays. If the other ones don’t give him a chance to prove that, that’s life. But I try always to be honest with my players and with my team. I try. Maybe sometimes I do not do the correct things. But I always try.

“Zlatan is going to arrive into a made team. He is going to arrive mid-season with the team playing in a certain way and with players having what I call the functional links in the dynamic of the team. We are going to be a better squad and I give you just one example – if we play Stoke and two days later we play against Burton and I want to give a rest to my two strikers, who do I play against Burton? I have to play Rashford or Lukaku. I don’t have another one to play so I cannot give rest to my players. So we need a striker and we have one just around the corner that belongs to our family, that likes to be with us and play for us.

“He is one more striker, he is one more experienced player, one more player that can play No9 or No10, that can play in a double striker [system]. There are lots of matches to play. If we progress in the Champions League and one of the two cups we are going to be in the position where we couldn’t do it only with Lukaku and Rashford, especially if I play both together. So if I need a striker, probably in January I would be knocking on [executive vice-chairman] Ed Woodward’s door and [now] I don’t need to. I have one of the best in the world.”

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement