Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Sky sports news saying martinez confirms fellaini has ligament damage. Anyone else reporting it?

Edit: still saying 2 weeks out. Feckers had me worried

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Unearthly wrote: »
    Sky sports news saying martinez confirms fellaini has ligament damage. Anyone else reporting it?

Edit: still saying 2 weeks out. Feckers had me worried

Medial ligament damage, not ACL so it’s a short term injury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Totally disagree with that, to be honest.

Winning trophies is about a team. Winning an award such as this should be down to individual excellence. You can be individually excellent without your team winning cups - if your team mate don't help, not much a player can do on his own.

Is it DDGs fault our forward players couldn't finish anything last season and we ended up drawing loads of games? Is it his fault LVG couldn't orgainise a team to breakdown the local under12s?

Was George Best rubbish cause he never did it at the world cup? How about Giggs?

Making a difference in the big games can be part of an argument, but was Suarez any less devestating last season despite not winning the CL or League? Is Messi not deserving of being on the list? Didn't win the league. Didn't win the CL and his national side on the cusp of not making the WC? Nah - Messi was awesome and deserves to be there.

I'd happily say that De Gea was the worlds best keeper, but if you asked me who was deserving of the 2017 Ballon D'or year I would expect it to be somebody who went above and beyond, who was pivotal to his teams success, somebody who was the difference between success and failure and who left an indelible mark on the calender year.

De Gea was none of those things. He is a superb keeper but honestly, had we Romero in goals instead last season I think we would have won the league cup and finished 6th in the league. (Goes without saying we would have won the Uefa cup without him, because thats exactly what happened). How could the Ballon D'or winner be somebody that his team could have coped perfectly well without?

De Gea would have deserved the award more in previous years when he was repeatedly bailing his team out with brilliant saves, not so much this year when he had a lot more protection and less to do.

I get that the shortlist seems to be just throwing popular names into a hat, but should his name go to the final 5 or anything like that then I'll go back to my original thought, which is that I just can't see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Jayop wrote: »
    As relentlessly excellent as DeGea has been he's probably had his least influential season ever for United last year. Still deserved to get on a thirty man shortlist I guess but unless you're winning your league or champions league you should be on a much shorter list.

Totally disagree with that, to be honest.

Winning trophies is about a team. Winning an award such as this should be down to individual excellence. You can be individually excellent without your team winning cups - if your team mate don't help, not much a player can do on his own.

Is it DDGs fault our forward players couldn't finish anything last season and we ended up drawing loads of games? Is it his fault LVG couldn't orgainise a team to breakdown the local under12s?

Was George Best rubbish cause he never did it at the world cup? How about Giggs?

Making a difference in the big games can be part of an argument, but was Suarez any less devestating last season despite not winning the CL or League? Is Messi not deserving of being on the list? Didn't win the league. Didn't win the CL and his national side on the cusp of not making the WC? Nah - Messi was awesome and deserves to be there.
    I never mentioned international football because it's not something that a great player can conquer if they play at a crap country. However the best players gravitate to the best clubs so yeah winning medals at club level is vital to be considered the best player in the world. Like Best did when he won it, and pretty much every other award winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

TheDoc wrote: »
    Shortlist always has weird people on it. In fairness considering De Gea is top 3 in his position he should be name checked.

Neuer has slipped a bit in terms of his standards, Courtous hasn't gone onto be the all dominating keeper I thought he would, so there is a good arguement for De Gea being the best keeper in the world at the moment. Oblak getting in feels a bit flavour of the month to me

And sure when you see Modric in the shortlist and not Kroos, you realise how broken these things can be

Kroos did make the shortlist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

astradave wrote: »
    He changed his name cause he couldn’t live with being Zerks anymore. :D

I bet he tried to change it to a username someone else already has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

What a night that was last night. What a night.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

What a night that was last night. What a night.

Yep, looks like no further injuries to any United players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Aldridge has his say on Saturday's game,definitely playing to the gallery.

"We’ve seen some suggestions that United might come to Anfield to attack, that Mourinho might take the shackles off them and go for the throat.

“There is a 0% chance of that happening, trust me! It just isn’t in Mourinho’s make up. You look at the players he’s signed for United, and it tells its own story. They’re all six foot four, built like you-know-whats, and they all know how to mix it.

“Lukaku, [Eric] Bailly, [Nemanja] Matic, [Zlatan] Ibrahimovic – it’s clear what Mourinho wants; a powerful, physical team that can battle and scrap with anyone. That’s a challenge for Liverpool, and one they’ll have to overcome first and foremost. If they want to play, they’ll have to earn it.

“Despite that, I still see vulnerabilities in United’s defence. I know their record on paper is good, but they can be got at. [David] De Gea is a great keeper but he’s needed more than Mourinho would like, I’m sure.”

What he forgot is our "vulnerable defence" has just conceded 2 league goals and our "defensive tactics" have scored 9 more goals than Liverpool's much vaunted attack.

• Advertisement

Aldridge has his say on Saturday's game,definitely playing to the gallery.

"We’ve seen some suggestions that United might come to Anfield to attack, that Mourinho might take the shackles off them and go for the throat.

“There is a 0% chance of that happening, trust me! It just isn’t in Mourinho’s make up. You look at the players he’s signed for United, and it tells its own story. They’re all six foot four, built like you-know-whats, and they all know how to mix it.

“Lukaku, [Eric] Bailly, [Nemanja] Matic, [Zlatan] Ibrahimovic – it’s clear what Mourinho wants; a powerful, physical team that can battle and scrap with anyone. That’s a challenge for Liverpool, and one they’ll have to overcome first and foremost. If they want to play, they’ll have to earn it.

“Despite that, I still see vulnerabilities in United’s defence. I know their record on paper is good, but they can be got at. [David] De Gea is a great keeper but he’s needed more than Mourinho would like, I’m sure.”

What he forgot is our "vulnerable defence" has just conceded 2 league goals and our "defensive tactics" have scored 9 more goals than Liverpool's much vaunted attack.

It will be a massive test for us this weekend. Any team that contains salah mane coutinho will cause most teams problems. Cant wait for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I wouldnt be taking Liverpool lightly. Until the sending off of mane, they were the better team against City. The will be up for it and can cause us problems. Its up to our team to remain strong. We have injuries but we have the depth to cope and conquer Liverpool. A win would be an excellent result but a draw wouldnt be too bad away from home against a direct rival.

Goal difference this season after 7 games:

Liverpool - 1
    Man Utd - 19

Tells its own story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Aldridge is a terrible pundit ,fully blinkered when it comes to Pool.

yabadabado wrote: »

Lol at his comments about De Gea being needed in games more than José would like,De Gea might have had to make one or two saves per game this season,a lot of the time he could sit on a deck chair and observe due to Jose's work on our defence paying off.Compare that to Liverpool who's defence is shakier than a skeleton in a cement mixer.

At least we don't have to worry about Mane on Saturday, out for about 6 weeks with hamstring injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

yabadabado wrote: »

Yep, as poor as Niall Quinn is when it comes to City

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

At least we don't have to worry about Mane on Saturday, out for about 6 weeks with hamstring injury.

Confirmed by the club so yeay! That's awesome news.

Lord TSC wrote: »

Yep their best player imo :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,372 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Considering we are going to be without Pogba, Fellaini and Carrick, its nice to hear they will be a star player down too.

Hopefully Lukaku comes through the Cyprus game tonight without issue.

• Advertisement

bangkok wrote: »
    Yep their best player imo :)

Watching them with and without him, you'd think they were two different teams. He's easily their most important player by a massively large margin, and I'd be so much more confident beating them now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Considering we are going to be without Pogba, Fellaini and Carrick, its nice to hear they will be a star player down too.

Hopefully Lukaku comes through the Cyprus game tonight without issue.

Hopefully Jose had a word with Robbie Martinez and Lukaku is rested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I wouldnt be taking Liverpool lightly. Until the sending off of mane, they were the better team against City. The will be up for it and can cause us problems. Its up to our team to remain strong. We have injuries but we have the depth to cope and conquer Liverpool. A win would be an excellent result but a draw wouldnt be too bad away from home against a direct rival.
    The better team maybe to look at but if I remember right City were a goal up. Pretty typical Liverpool really, look good, possession and shots from everywhere but a goal behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Lord TSC wrote: »

Old-_Man-_Crazy-_Dancing-_Funny-_Gif-_Image.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

jayo26 wrote: »
    Old-_Man-_Crazy-_Dancing-_Funny-_Gif-_Image.gif

Nice of you to post a pick of yourself from last night jayo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Kroos did make the shortlist

Ah that's good, thought I saw the full list and didn't see him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

brinty wrote: »
    Nice of you to post a pick of yourself from last night jayo

Who asked you....

jayo26 wrote: »
    Who asked you....

I recorded it mate ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Mane out for 6 weeks apparently.

Big blow for Liverpool and a boost for us on Saturday.

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »

giphy.gif

J. Marston wrote: »

Jones-Goal-Celebration.gif

Lukaku rested for the match tonight :D

And Valencia suspended for the Argentina game

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Lukaku rested for the match tonight :D

And Valencia suspended for the Argentina game

Thank God, Argentina will go all out to qualify

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Great boost for us with Mane being out.

All things considered anything but 3 points will be a bad result.

would have preferred Mane to be playing along with Pogba, Zlatan Rojo and fellaini, no excuses then on either side if they lose

• Advertisement

Great boost for us with Mane being out.

All things considered anything but 3 points will be a bad result.

they still are formidable...

coutinho.........firmino............salah

can
    henderson
    wijnaldum

poor oul ox still cant make the team :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

poor oul ox still cant make the team :)

Still one of the most baffling transfers in recent times in my mind. Money like that for a utility player with a year left on his contract

Agree with you though, would prefer Pogba and Fellaini fit with Mane. Main thing is to get another 3 points, might be some pressure on Klopp in the next few weeks if they take a beating against us

would have preferred Mane to be playing along with Pogba, Zlatan Rojo and fellaini, no excuses then on either side if they lose

Couldn't care less about excuses tbh, once we get the three points.

Bad handball by lindelof

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Liverpool at Anfield Is always a difficult match. That being said, if Jose sets us up right I can't see them getting too much off us aside from maybe a Coutinho set piece.if they score first though then we will be in trouble as they will be able to play to their strengths as we have to come out and play and lose our compactness.

I hope we destroy them physically and mentally though, we have the players to do it and they severely lack leadership. Jordan Henderson is a real weak link for them in midfield and their defence is very questionable. Fellaini will be a loss for us, given his current form but Matic and Herrera should have plenty to stifle them. Our pace and attacking options should really be enough to kill them on the counter.

Klopp will definitely have them come out swinging. He'll want to use this game as a springboard to break their recent run of poor form. Give them the ball, sit tight and destroy them on the break when they lose possession.

Sounds easy :pac:

• Advertisement

Has there been any confirmation to the extent of pogbas injury and when he will return. The only thing I’ve heard was that Jose saying he wasn’t in his plans for the last match. Haven’t seen anything about when they think he will be back

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

So will Anfield again become Juanfield?

Hoping Mata plays and repeats this

juan-mata-second-goal-liverpool-manchester-united.gif

Has there been any confirmation to the extent of pogbas injury and when he will return. The only thing I’ve heard was that Jose saying he wasn’t in his plans for the last match. Haven’t seen anything about when they think he will be back

Think he was in the usa last week rehabbing it, Hope he is a surprise starter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

They would find an excuse no matter what the circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

bangkok wrote:
    coutinho.........firmino............salah

Coutinho and firmino both in Brazil and will be travelling back after games tonight. Might not be the freshest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

VW 1 wrote: »
    Coutinho and firmino both in Brazil and will be travelling back after games tonight. Might not be the freshest.

They could even pick up an injury ;)

VW 1 wrote: »

not being smart but, flying back on a private jet im sure they will be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Good aul Lukaku scores. Keeping the good run of goals flowing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

In still surprised to see the general consensus has gone beyond optimism to borderline entitlement.

Not sure if it's because it's Liverpool or something else is behind the lofty expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

bangkok wrote:
    not being smart but, flying back on a private jet im sure they will be fine

United regularly do the same thing, but there's an effect on the body, private jet or not. Results after European games will tell you that

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement