Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

His strength is unreal!! Put the defender on his ass :D

https://twitter.com/Devils_Latest/status/917852343051354113

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

bangkok wrote: »
    not being smart but, flying back on a private jet im sure they will be fine

it's to do with jetlag, doesnt matter if it's a private plane, you dont magically stop time zones

not being smart but, flying back on a private jet im sure they will be fine

:pac:

Great to see Pogbas recovery going well.
    Hope the big Fella is ok too!

On the weekends games; I expect to see alot of movement in the table.

I cant see Chelsea, City, Spurs & Arsenal dropping any points.
    Makes beating Liverpool all the more important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Mick going around all the threads this morning

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

S.M.B. wrote: »
    In still surprised to see the general consensus has gone beyond optimism to borderline entitlement.

Not sure if it's because it's Liverpool or something else is behind the lofty expectations.

I wouldn't say that at all.

Liverpool have been in a little slump, we've been in good form, Mane is critical for them and is injured. Liverpool are struggling to defend set pieces and aren't very pacey at the back, they defend with a high line. We have lots of pace and look good from set pieces

All off the above makes me confident, however in these matches you just never now. I don't think anyone thinks it's an entitlement though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

duffman13 wrote: »

Liverpool have been in a little slump, we've been in good form, Mane is critical for them and is injured. Liverpool are struggling to defend set pieces and aren't very pacey at the back, they defend with a high line. We have lots of pace and look good from set pieces

All off the above makes me confident, however in these matches you just never now. I don't think anyone thinks it's an entitlement though.

No one is feeling any entitlement some people like to make up little things in their own head.

All messing aside I wouldn't be 100 percent confident of anything at anfield we come away with a point there I'd be happy firm means nothing and we are missing important players too so could go anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Liverpools attack WITH Mane I'd be far more worried they could hurt us. Without Mane they are considerably less of a threat.

There defence is bloody awful and Klopp hasnt an iota how to sort it. I simply cant see us NOT scoring. And without Mane I'd be extremely doubtful they will break us down. Salah has pace but is a poor finisher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

pjohnson wrote: »
    Liverpools attack WITH Mane I'd be far more worried they could hurt us. Without Mane they are considerably less of a threat.

There defence is bloody awful and Klopp hasnt an iota how to sort it. I simply cant see us NOT scoring. And without Mane I'd be extremely doubtful they will break us down. Salah has pace but is a poor finisher.

Salah is a threat, make no mistake. What you wrote above could easily be said for Rasford at times.

I expect United to win, but a draw isnt a bad result either as these games can usually go either way very easily. Liverpool are shakey at the back but they can be a threat going forward.

I just hope we stuff them, can't stand to listen to their fans waffle on if we draw or lose.

beakerjoe wrote: »

I just hope we stuff them, can't stand to listen to their fans waffle on if we draw or lose.

I'd say they are saying exact same about us too lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,376 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

jayo26 wrote: »

How dare they say that about us!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

jayo26 wrote: »

Classic jayo
    How dare they say that about us!?

but truly outdone by sarcastic Mitch.. i frickin love it

on the weekend a one goal win at anfield is hard got so i'd be happy with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I would love to be going to Anfield on Saturday.

Would I take a draw now? I proabley would, but I think we are more then capable of winning this too. I think we might sneak it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

duffman13 wrote: »

Entitlement is probably me being a little OTT but the comments I've been reading seem to go beyond the optimism you express based on the reasons you give above.

I do agree with everything you said but I guess that doesn't always translate to 3 points. If we set up and play to the best of our abilities and Liverpool struggle with their recent issues then you would hope for a united victory but none of that is a given imo.

However, we may set up too cautiously to hurt them, we may fail to perform as we have at times this season, Liverpool may put in a big performance as they've done at times this season.

As I said two weeks ago, there was no way I was going taking the piss out of my liverpool friends after their recent champions league failure so close to a meeting between the two clubs.

I'll decide how satisfied I am with the result after the 90 minutes.

But enough of my negativity, C'mon United!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I would love to be going to Anfield on Saturday.

Would I take a draw now? I proabley would

We should really be aiming to go one better than Burnley at Anfield.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

I hope we really attack liverpool and try to kill the game off early. I think rashford and martial will have a field day and of course lukaku

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Entitlement is probably me being a little OTT but the comments I've been reading seem to go beyond the optimism you express based on the reasons you give above.

I do agree with everything you said but I guess that doesn't always translate to 3 points. If we set up and play to the best of our abilities and Liverpool struggle with their recent issues then you would hope for a united victory but none of that is a given imo.

However, we may set up too cautiously to hurt them, we may fail to perform as we have at times this season, Liverpool may put in a big performance as they've done at times this season.

As I said two weeks ago, there was no way I was going taking the piss out of my liverpool friends after their recent champions league failure so close to a meeting between the two clubs.

I'll decide how satisfied I am with the result after the 90 minutes.

But enough of my negativity, C'mon United!

Simple really, winning breathes optimism and confidence. Jose has us winning and winning well. The natural outcome is fans and a team who believe they can beat anyone. Whether thats right or wrong is another topic.

I think that was United's greatest trait of old, they had teams beaten before they got on the bus heading to Old Trafford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If you offered me a draw today for the game on Saturday I would say "hell no", I think we should be going there looking for 3 points.

I don't say that we will definitely win, because who knows, but looked at dispassionately everything is going for us and against them, why wouldn't we go there with more expectation than hope?

All down to the two managers if you ask me, will Jose seize the day and send United out to dominate or will he go safety first just because its Liverpool away? I will be very disappointed if he doesn't demand we tear into them from the off.

On the other hand will Klopp show any tactical astuteness at all or will he persist with the same old same old? Does he have it in him to find a way of stifling and frustrating United or will he just hit and hope? I don't think he does to be honest.

If you offered me a draw today for the game on Saturday I would say "hell no", I think we should be going there looking for 3 points.

I don't say that we will definitely win, because who knows, but looked at dispassionately everything is going for us and against them, why wouldn't we go there with more expectation than hope?

All down to the two managers if you ask me, will Jose seize the day and send United out to dominate or will he go safety first just because its Liverpool away? I will be very disappointed if he doesn't demand we tear into them from the off.

On the other hand will Klopp show any tactical astuteness at all or will he persist with the same old same old? Does he have it in him to find a way of stifling and frustrating United or will he just hit and hope? I don't think he does to be honest.

Me too. I'd class it as a fairly critical crossroad in the making of this Utd team.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

It's second vs seventh. We are seven points clear of them. If we have ambitions of a title challange this year, we should be expecting a win against Pool.

One thing I'll say, though, is Pool look to struggle against teams that sit deep and let them keep the ball, so while some may cry foul of bus parking, I'd imagine tactically we will try some counter attacking football. It's their weakness right now...

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Me too. I'd class it as a fairly critical crossroad in the making of this Utd team.

Fek sake of hate to see what you would make of us if we were playing a top team.....

:):D :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

0-4. Heard it here first.

If we go and Attack attack attack we will be caught out on the break by their front three.. even with the loss of Mane they still possess a Forward line with so much pace, I reckon we will beat them by scoring on the counter and by set pieces. I can’t see us camped out in their half.

astradave wrote: »
    If we go and Attack attack attack we will be caught out on the break but their front three.. even with the loss of Mane they still possess a Forward line with so much pace, I reckon we will beat them by scoring on the counter and by set pieces. I can’t see us camped out in their half.

They can't score.
    They can't defend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

I'd definitely not take a draw. Go for broke at this stage of the season. We should be more than capable of beating them.

They can't score.
    They can't defend.

I’d rather not set up to give them too many opportunities to try though :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

We will not go gung ho. It simply will not happen.

I think in the context of this game Mane isn't as big a loss to them as Pogba is to us. I'd have loved if he had managed to get back in time for this given it's importance, but at the end of the day it's just another 3 points and there's no point making the injury worse by rushing him back. He would be so great to have though, the way he holds it up when we're under pressure and can bring us up the pitch 50 yards single-handedly by either a dribble or a great pass.

I'm a bit unsure as to how we line up. I really don't see us going three at the back against Liverpool when I think about it. They don't really play with a striker up front so you have 3 CB's marking no-one and they are able to out number us elsewhere. I'd much prefer 4 at the back with 2 holding MF players if we're going to be cautious.

DeGea
    Valencia Bailly Jones Darmian
    Matic Herrera
    ----Mata Mkhi Rashford
    Lukaku

Of course you could switch Young in for Darmian, Young has done really well the last few games and imo deserves to keep his place but I think Jose will go for the more natural defender for this. Mata could easily be swapped for Rashford and play Martial on the right. Maybe Mata instead of Mkhi inside. We have the options. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Lingard started for example. If Mkhi plays we need a massive game from him. I was reading he played a holding role for his country at the weekend. I don't think that's a possibility here and I never feel he has that level of awareness in a defensive sense that we would need.

If I had to make a prediction I'd probably go for a slender United win with both teams scoring but I wouldn't be at all surprised with any of the possible results.

So are we thinking Arsenal were so bad at the start of the season that Liverpools 4-0 victory was some weird anomaly?

Or August is so long ago that the result means nothing?

Or given the right set of circumstances Liverpool can beat anyone who give them the freedom to play their game?

A, B, C or D all of the above?

So are we thinking Arsenal were so bad at the start of the season that Liverpools 4-0 victory was some weird anomaly?

Or August is so long ago that the result means nothing?

Or given the right set of circumstances Liverpool can beat anyone who give them the freedom to play their game?

A, B, C or D all of the above?

Arsenal were stinking in that game/month but yeah, if Liverpool get infront they have the ability to blow you away. We had it before and we could have it again.

Take the City game. Liverpool were a goal down when Mane was sent off, but they were probably marginally the better team. They are a real danger, but so are we.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Doesn't matter if they score we will get minimum 2 maybe 4. 4-1, or 2-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Said to my friends Monday night I reckon we will hit them for 3/4

Thought I'd maybe flick through this Juantastic (sorry) video but ended up watching the full 12 minutes.

You're welcome.

Also, had completely forgotten about ballotelli playing for them lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

I hope we really attack liverpool and try to kill the game off early. I think rashford and martial will have a field day and of course lukaku

Can you really see us doing that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

0-0 or 1-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I’ll be disappointed if we can’t beat them, they are a one trick pony and it’s not like they are exceptionally good at the one trick they do, they were only the 4th highest scoring team in the league last season in the end, plus they are missing their best player.

Again you can lose games and win league titles but we should be grasping opportunities like this when they arise.

I’ll be disappointed if we can’t beat them, they are a one trick pony and it’s not like they are exceptionally good at the one trick they do, they were only the 4th highest scoring team in the league last season in the end, plus they are missing their best player.

Again you can lose games and win league titles but we should be grasping opportunities like this when they arise.

It really is the best time to play them. Doesn't mean we have some divine right to win, but they're as bad as they've been in a long time and you can only see them improving as the season wears on.

Biggest concern for me is our form after international breaks.

We haven't won any of the last 5 games after the break.

We really need to stop on that stat Saturday.

• Advertisement

Biggest concern for me is our form after international breaks.

We really need to stop on that stat Saturday.

Stoke A
    West Brom H
    Arsenal A
    Liverpool A
    City H

All draws apart from the City game. In fairness they've all been stinkers of fixtures apart from the West Brom at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Jayop wrote: »

All draws apart from the City game. In fairness they've all been stinkers of fixtures apart from the West Brom at home.

Were those due to the international break, or just a reflection on the fact we were drawing far too many games in general?

Were those due to the international break, or just a reflection on the fact we were drawing far too many games in general?

We got a 2-2 draw against Stoke only last month.
    The rest would have been last season between September 2016 - May 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

TheDoc wrote: »
    Played him last season because he was a goal machine and was playing well as a lone striker. This "shtick" of him slowing up the play I'm not sure I am totally agreeing with.

When the manager was playing a deep sitting team to try not concede, Ibra was the perfect lone striker as an outlet to hold up play. I think it's forgotten when we played a number of teams how important Zlatan was and how well he was playing.

When we were playing six at the back with our wide players as fullbacks in the big games, not sure what was expected of Zlatan, yeah, hes not going to pace down a centre half.

But there was also structural issues in the team. Mhiki was playing out wide, we rarely saw the combo of Martial and Mhiki when we went 4-3-3, which looked the most effective. Rooney was appearing at parts and times.

Now that Jose has settled on a predominant 4-2-3-1 (which actually is more of a 4-1-4-1 when I see the team at times) there is pure pace around the striker. Mhiki behind, Pogba coming from deep, Rashford/Martial out wide. There is pace around the striker. Something that was pointed out at lengths last year when he was trying to shoehorn Rooney and Zlatan into the same team, that Zlatan's lone striker interplay was excellent, just needs runners around him.

That Lukaku has pace also is a massive bonus, but I don't think the team structure will change to accomodate Zlatan. He needs that pace around him, he's as quick and shrewd in interplay as anyone. So I don't forsee any major problems at any stage when he arrives back.

You are completely underselling how good Lukaku has been. Why do you keep saying we have pace around the striker as if that isn’t what Ibra had from over a year ago? Mata, Mkhitaryan, Rashford/Martial in a 4231 with Pogba coming from deep - that isn’t anything new to this season. Having pace around the striker is not what has changed this season, the fact that we have a pacey striker is.

I agree but I'd argue it's more his mobility as opposed to his actual pace that his been the biggest factor. His pace certainly doesn't hurt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I think praising Lukaku’s mobility just shows how laboured we have been in that position for a number of years, even going back to Van Persie.

Lukaku isn’t exactly what I’d call dynamic or the most mobile player, but compared to what we have been used it’s like having Thierry Henry up front.

I think praising Lukaku’s mobility just shows how laboured we have been in that position for a number of years, even going back to Van Persie.

Lukaku isn’t exactly what I’d call dynamic or the most mobile player, but compared to what we have been used it’s like having Thierry Henry up front.

Not from what I've been seeing from him.

He's currently has both of these attributes.

A bit of both. A lot of our draws last season came immediately after the break and immediately after Thursday European football. We've eradicated one of those this year with two wins after cl football and it would be nice to get this monkey off the back too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Currently listening to RedFM here in Cork.

Roy Keane is getting some hammering from callers.

He is being branded "A disgrace" for not signing autographs etc.

Currently listening to RedFM here in Cork.

Roy Keane is getting some hammering from callers.

He is being branded "A disgrace" for not signing autographs etc.

At the Ireland match?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement