Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Martial!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

No Mata or Rashford :/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Thought we'd have had Rashford instead of Young, but he must have decided to have Young's defensive elements, and save Rashford for the latter end of the game.

Wait, Smalling and Jones?

Ugh

There will be goals in this game...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Bailly injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

How do we expect that team to line out?

Darmian playing with Smalling and Jones in a 3 man back line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

S.M.B. wrote: »
    How do we expect that team to line out?

Darmian playing with Smalling and Jones in a 3 man back line?

Same as usual, imo. 4-2-3-1
    DDG
    Valencia - Jones - Smalling - Darmian
    Herrera - Matic
    Young - Mkhi - Martial
    Lukaku

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Looking forward to Young in a more advanced role. Serious crosser of a ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Young left with Martial right? Moreno must need the bathroom at the idea of Martial AND Valencia on that flank :D

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Same as usual, imo. 4-2-3-1
    DDG
    Valencia - Jones - Smalling - Darmian
    Herrera - Matic
    Young - Mkhi - Martial
    Lukaku
    Yeah, maybe young had simply taken matas position which seems like an odd choice to me.

Although the guardian are now thinking the same as me.

"There is a suggestion that United will play 3-4-2-1: De Gea; Smalling, Jones, Darmian; Valencia, Herrera, Matic, Young; Mkhitaryan, Martial; Lukaku."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Injuries really beginning to pile up. Don't see that defence keeping out Liverpool's attack,and don't think we've enough going forward to harm there fragile defence. 2-0 Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I think it might be three at the back.

Anyway nice pace everywhere from an attacking point of view.
    Glad that Mata isn’t starting. He may be able to come on and do some damage when Liverpool tire but we need pace from all attacking positions today from the off.

Ideally it would be Rashford in for Young if it is the usual 4-2-3-1. Maybe the internationals swayed Jose’s mind to pick Young instead. Rashfords defence work has improved hugely so I don’t see that as a factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

If it is 3 centre backs i would have preferred Lindelof over Darmian

• Advertisement

Bret Hart wrote: »
    Injuries really beginning to pile up. Don't see that defence keeping out Liverpool's attack,and don't think we've enough going forward to harm there fragile defence. 2-0 Liverpool.

That’s very pessimistic imo. There’s more than enough in that attack to cause loads of problems for Liverpool.

Defence isn’t that bad looking either. Bailly of course would be a certain starter but apart from that I don’t see an issue.

Those Liverpool full backs are there for the taking. Hopefully its the 4-2-3-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Bret Hart wrote: »

Lukaku... top scorer in the league

martial.... our player of the month

liverpool will have plenty to worry about

Unearthly wrote: »
    If it is 3 centre backs i would have preferred Lindelof over Darmian

I think it’s too early to be throwing in a fragile looking player who hasn’t settled yet into a game like this. He looks nervy to me, l8ke he isn’t comfortable yet at the club and tends to make a major error when he does play.

Darmian actually does pretty well playing more centrally defensively. The one worry would be his height at set pieces.

Anyway most likely line out with a four but I think Jose may go with the three, especially with only two in midfield and his midfield options so limited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

4231 going forward reverting to 352 defensively with Young tucking back. That’s how I see it anyways but depends on what side young lines up on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I don't like the line up, it points too much towards cautiousness. Darmian at left back and Young in midfield are there to make the team more solid, they are defensive changes.

In isolation it might be a perfectly good and pragmatic line up for a game at Anfield but I wanted to see us bring confidence to the game and play to the strengths that have served us so well this season.

Thats just my opinion, hopefully its a good tactical move by the manager and the players are still tasked with hunting some goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

adox wrote: »
    I think it’s too early to be throwing in a fragile looking player who hasn’t settled yet into a game like this. He looks nervy to me, l8ke he isn’t comfortable yet at the club and tends to make a major error when he does play.

Darmian actually does pretty well playing more centrally defensively. The one worry would be his height at set pieces.

Anyway most likely line out with a four but I think Jose may go with the three, especially with only two in midfield and his midfield options so limited.

While I agree with most. Darmian is 6 foot which is tall for a fullback. He does be great in the air for Italy in the back 3. I’ve never really seen that as a mark against him with us either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Bit nervous about the amount of injuries we have piling up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Would love to see Martial rip that defense apart. Big game today . Really hope these players can put in a shift against these big sides

2.1 United.

Would love a fairly consistent set piece taker. Had some shocking poor ones here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Herrera has spent most of the first half appealing for fouls.

Fúcking useless.

Lukaku needs to hold the ball up better.

United have had zero attacking intent, its exactly what I was afraid of and its going to cost them. Very poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If this is our first test of the season we are doing a poor job

Just trying to keep them out so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Not able to watch game....from sound of things haven’t missed much!........
    Strange starting Young and Darmian.
    Where is Young playing?

Game badly needs Rashford. We need to press higher. Allowing their **** defence all the time in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Losing the midfield battle withHerrera and Mikhi playing very poorly.

Lukaku needs to keep it simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Young has done well he has been up the wing and back through the middle Ander and Lukaku close to bookings, Ander very sloppy, Lukaku just a little frustrated as they're closing off any chances for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

One brilliant passage of play which Lukaku might have put away but other than that we've been poor, very poor at times. We could really do with Pogbas composure and holdup ability in midfield.

Martial has probably been our best player, DDG also producing a marvellous save to deny them.

Disappointing overall from a UTD POV. Hopefully a change at HT. Rashford for Young, Henrikh has also done very little.

Done ok to a point but very little attacking threat. Martial by far has looked our most dangerous player. Rashford for Young looks an obvious switch.

Didn’t see anything in the Lukaku incident that Neville seems to be getting excited about although I stand to be corrected if there was.

Also think they are over egging Lukakaus lack of performance. Ok he hasn’t been great but he’s gotten very little service and Utd have been playing that high that there’s very little chance for him to run into the channels, which he’s very good at, as Young or Martial have invariably been there.

Miki has been barely involved in the game at all. Barely a kick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Would Mata for Miki be a good move?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Martial had a few nice moments but we have nothing going forward in midfield to build on matic is doing a great job but midfield has no creativity without pogba.

Would Mata for Miki be a good move?

At this stage I don’t see why not. He can’t be any worse than Miki has been.

• Advertisement

Worrying performance and not a million miles from what I expected all week.

Not sure a personnel change will make the biggest of difference. Feels like we either need to push on a go for the game or keep doing what we are doing and leave it to a bit of a coin toss.

I’m content enough. Underwhelming but by no means worrying.

A lot of our goals have come in the second half so not too worried atm. Hopefully we take control of this game and shut up the crowd

Not able to watch game....from sound of things haven’t missed much!........
    Strange starting Young and Darmian.
    Where is Young playing?

Ya can catch it here todayfm/pll

If ya have internet/radio on your phone.

Hopefully we take control of this game and shut up the crowd

When have we ever transitioned from this sort of safety first, scared football to a more dominant, controlling, attacking style? In the same game?

Generally when we play like this we just regress even more and try to see the game out, I would be surprised if anything really changes in the second half.

adox wrote: »
    I’m content enough. Underwhelming but by no means worrying.
    Worrying may be a bit OTT. I guess it confirms my suspicions that José is going to approach these games in this manner. Probably content with a point but hoping we'll be clinical with one of our odd chances.

• Advertisement

Mkhitaryan is utterly anonymous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭BenK

Darmian is such a mediocre player, don't see what he offers defensively or offensively at this level.

Jose needs to make changes or we're gonna lose this. Pool looking very sharp

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Please not Lingard :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Mlhitaryan is starting to annoy me

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement