Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

BenK wrote: »
    Darmian is such a mediocre player, don't see what he offers defensively or offensively at this level.

He is having a poor game alright but so are Herrera and Mkhitaryan. Doesn't mean they are mediocre or poor. It just means they are very annoyingly having a sh1t game.

You don't get more than 30 caps for the Italian national team unless you are at the very least a competent defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

So many players struggling to do basics today. No fight either and they are not hunting in packs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭BenK

Quandary wrote: »
    He is having a poor game alright but so are Herrera and Mkhitaryan. Doesn't mean they are mediocre or poor. It just means they are very annoyingly having a sh1t game.

You don't get more than 30 caps for the Italian national team unless you are at the very least a competent defender.

I get your point and I'm genuinely not basing it on this one game. I think he's a mediocre player at this level. Italy are hardly world beaters at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Need to forget Darmian at this stage. He is simply not good enough

I get your point and I'm genuinely not basing it on this one game. I think he's a mediocre player at this level. Italy are hardly world beaters at the moment.

No they're not world beaters, particularly in an attacking sense, but defending is practically an art in Italy and you don't get to play regularly for the Italian back 3 or 4 unless you are good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Darmians performance isn't the reason the game is playing out the way it is right now.

No they're not world beaters, particularly in an attacking sense, but defending is practically an art in Italy and you don't get to play regularly for the Italian back 3 or 4 unless you are good enough.

Do you honestly think he's good enough for United?

Guivarch (spelling?) played for France when they won the world cup and I didn't rate him either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Mkhi did the impossible today. He made me happy to see Lingard being subbed on. Fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

This is even more cowardly than I expected.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Darmians performance isn't the reason the game is playing out the way it is right now.

Oh without a doubt, the team's performance isn't his fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

To beat Liverpool you let them have the ball, keep them at arms length and then wreck them on the counter attack.

Our counter attack is non-existent, its shocking and the players responsible for it have been shocking.

This performance is actively pissing me right off.

Do you honestly think he's good enough for United?

Guivarch (spelling?) played for France when they won the world cup and I didn't rate him either.

Im not sure that lad played more than 10 or so games in his entire international career?

But to answer you're question, I think he is an excellent squad player who, given a run possibly at RB could be good enough. I think LB is a problem area for us and ideally I would prefer to see Darmian at RB but Valencia has that nailed down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Absolute shocking stuff

Im not sure that lad played more than 10 or so games in his entire international career?

But to answer you're question, I think he is an excellent squad player who, given a run possibly at RB could be good enough. I think LB is a problem area for us and ideally I would prefer to see Darmian at RB but Valencia has that nailed down.

I think saying who a player plays for internationally isn't overly helpful as that team, no matter how illustrious their history, may have very limited options in certain positions due to the nature of international football (and may be simply poor at any given moment in time).

I probably don't disagree with you too much in that he's not a terrible squad option but I don't like seeing him starting the big games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

This second half performance is embarrassing. The amount of stupid passes is unbelievable.

A shockingly poor 2nd half so far alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Shocking stuff

If this kind of performance is part of the bigger picture then fair enough, but if we are not lifting trophies in May then surely the manager lives or dies by these decisions.

A new 5 year contract looks extemely premature at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Shocking performance, up there with the Southampton game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Its funny sky gave this match unreal build up but it's going to end up one of the worse games of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Cant believe jose set the team up the way he did. Martial basically a left back when he was on. Lukaku totally isolated

This is pretty sad.

Zero attacking intent. Pathetic in the challenge with United players crumpling to the ground under nothing challenges and shoulders. So many instances of basic ball control being fúcked up.

A balls of a performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

That'll teach us to look forward to a big away game. Just remind yourselves of this when we travel to City, Chelsea or Spurs.

Can you imagine we drew a Barcelona/Madrid/Bayern/PSG in the CL? It would be horrendous to watch.

The only difference being that in those cases, I guess 0-0 would be considered a good result.

Lingard as anonymous as the guy he replaced.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

We very clearly set up for the 0-0 and got it. Disappointed though :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

beakerjoe wrote: »
    United can make an example out of Pool tomorrow and while a draw wouldnt be a bad result, it could be a huge missed opportunity for United not to roll over a direct rival and bring the fear of United back into opposing teams.

Id love a 3 nil United scorline, and thats an achievable possibility IMO.

And then the hype bubble burst.

Ah well, there's always next time.

• Advertisement

Our thrilling attack really showed Liverpool's porous defence who is boss....

And then the hype bubble burst.

Ah well, there's always next time.

Pool fans would know all about always next time :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

****ing gutless ****e.

Never wanted to win that game set up for draw.

****ing absolute joke that team could of beaten Liverpool today but never tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Bad game, not much else can be said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

That was a brutal game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Happy enough, a point and a clean sheet v a rival.

Jose/United showed no ambition and seemed more than happy with a draw.If Pool werent toothless United could have had a tough day but as it was neither team really deserved to win it.De Gea maybe 2 saves of note to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Awful second half.

Think a few are getting a bit carried away though with your outrage.

Hold off giving Jose another contract?? Please.

A truly awful game to watch. Our ball retention, passing and first touch was incredibly poor today. We were weak in the challenge too.

I've a feeling some Pool fans will be disappointed by that too. All huff and puff with no end result. DDG was only tested once.

Jose will be happy with the draw considering how awful we played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Parking the bus works when there is a lead to defend that was muck, think Lukaku had one shot on target thank the gods for DeGea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

:(

That's what confidence gets ya.

Can't wait for Chelsea away in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

We were set up for a nil nil result with that lineup.

Cowardly tactics from Jose. Rashford and Mata should have started. We could have easily tore apart that defense yet we were content with sitting back for large portions of the game and hoof it up to Lukaku who can't hold the ball up against 3 defenders on him.

Not the worst result in the world but gutless performance from a team that is so much capable of more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Bigtoe107

That was pretty woeful tbf. Mouriniho is playing the long game and looking toward a title in may. But that was turgid. Liverpool were there for the taking had united shown some ambition at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Pathetic performance.

You know what that was like? A bunch of flat track bullies who wet their pants because Sky said it was a big game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Hype train revival guess who's top of the table, we are. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

So Citeh to win the league then ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

I'm not going to watch any more games against the other top-6 teams this season. Why bother? It will be parking the bus again and again hoping for a point. Mourinho can fck off with that shyte. I have better things to be doing than watching that dross.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

We got what we came for. Good point. Solid performance. Would have like for us to be a bit more adventurous,but objective complete. Top of the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Lol we didn't even try to win that game lads and Liverpool with as much time we gave them weren't good enough.

Have joss to blame for that. Fergie would of never handicapped his team knowing they had players and form to beat a massive rival.

I'm incredibly happy to have him as manager but today was another example of his horribly defensive mindset in these big games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,377 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

A truly awful game to watch. Our ball retention, passing and first touch was incredibly poor today. We were weak in the challenge too.

I've a feeling some Pool fans will be disappointed by that too. All huff and puff with no end result. DDG was only tested once.

Jose will be happy with the draw considering how awful we played.
    This is my take. The players played ****. Maybe if they had actually been able to football things would have better.

Did Jose set them up to be unable to pass or control? Did his set up cause that and the subsequent lack of service and support?

Was our defensive stance 100% down to setup or caused by an inability of the players, through performance, to maintain possession and thus move up the pitch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Poor performance, would be fearful if we played like that against Spurs or City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Absolute bollocks that was. Liverpool's defence are useless and not once did we put them under pressure. Jose is probably gonna use that template away against every top team now. Grand if your playing Real Madrid away from home but Liverpool. FFS. Gutless by Jose.

I think im done watching big away games in the premiership for us that was septic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Herrera was useless in midfield and Miki was none existent.
    He just should be played as a third midfield option in these games(albeit a no 10)

Three in midfield and the balance of the team would have been a lot better.

Sure Jose set up not to lose first and foremost but the passing and general effort from some of the players was really poor.

Was surprised Young stayed on so long. If we had real pace on both wings we would have had more threat with a counter, even playing so defensively.

I would have taken him off and brought Mata on, pushed Lingard out wide with Rashford on the other, although I would have left Martial on and taken Young off for Rashford and stuck Mata on for Miki.

I still don’t think we have the players to play with only two in mf, especially away from home. When you have someone like Herrera having a bad day then we are even more exposed. Don’t want to single him out as there were many more that underperformed but it’s such an important part of the pitch it’s crucial we get it right.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement