Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

bangkok wrote: »
    Cant believe jose set the team up the way he did. Martial basically a left back when he was on. Lukaku totally isolated

He didn’t play as a left back. He was our best attacking player all day despite only play8ng 60 minutes. It’s part of his job to track back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I really do wonder what Jose is supposed to do when all 11 players are misplacing 5 yard passes. Reckon we really missed Pogba and even Fellaini today. Herrera had a very poor game. The midfield was going to be where that game was won or lost and Herrera and Mkhi failed to step up.

We were set up for a nil nil result with that lineup.

Cowardly tactics from Jose. Rashford and Mata should have started. We could have easily tore apart that defense yet we were content with sitting back for large portions of the game and hoof it up to Lukaku who can't hold the ball up against 3 defenders on him.

Not the worst result in the world but gutless performance from a team that is so much capable of more.

Ah here, youse are losing the run of yourself here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

adox wrote: »
    He didn’t play as a left back. He was our best attacking player all day despite only play8ng 60 minutes. It’s part of his job to track back.

He played majority of game defending. After all our talk of liverpools brutle defence we did nothing to test it.

City for the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

So Citeh to win the league then ?

I find is somewhat sad that Liverpool fans now seem to cheer for Man City to win the title. I suppose they know they aren't ever gunna be in the running themselves. Shame they dont have the ambition. Matches between two top teams fighting for the title always more exciting. Oh well

• Advertisement

He played majority of game defending. After all our talk of liverpools brutle defence we did nothing to test it.

City for the league

Oh no he didn’t.........oh yes he......

Good lad.

City who were outplayed by Liverpool at the Etihad until Liverpool had a player sent off?

Seriously, it’s like a tabloid in here from game to game.

We win. We are going to win the league. Everything’s great.

We draw with a poor performance. We are useless. Haven’t a hope. city for the league.

A disappointing performance. Maybe overly defensive form Jose but the players have to carry a large chunk of the blame too.

Hey ho we drew at Anfield and didn’t play well. Dispapo8nting but hardly the end of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Ah here, youse are losing the run of yourself here.

Go on elaborate please.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Very poor stuff today but we pack up and go home with the point..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

They had 19 shots with 5 on target we had 6 with the Lukaku effort the only one on target, they bossed the midfield but to get away without conceding is bloody great, it's an eye opener in one sense and definitely a learning curb for when the Chelsea game comes round as they will finish where Liverpool only came close, fantastic result to come out of this game with a point and not the goalfest I had predicted, Young and DeGea were bloody brilliant Ander was crap, Jones stepped up and Darmian did good the rest were meh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Pool fans probably disappointed with that as well.They were let play and have possession but still didnt really do anything.

Klopp said it there United came for a point and got it. Jose seems happy to do that but its hugely frustrating as a fan do see it.United unforced errors was horrendous and really did not help matters .

• Advertisement

Go on elaborate please.

Cowardly tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

****e performance, but I would have taken a draw if offered before a ball was kicked. Anfield is not an easy place to go to especially for United, I can only remember playing well there twice. People will moan at Jose, but you have to question the players who couldn't pass five yards ahead of themselves. Mickey and Herrara need a good kick up the backside as well, both dreadful today. 

Oh no he didn’t.........oh yes he......

Good lad.

City who were outplayed by Liverpool at the Etihad until Liverpool had a player sent off?

Seriously, it’s like a tabloid in here from game to game.

We win. We are going to win the league. Everything’s great.

We draw with a poor performance. We are useless. Haven’t a hope. city for the league.

A disappointing performance. Maybe overly defensive form Jose but the players have to carry a large chunk of the blame too.

Hey ho we drew at Anfield and didn’t play well. Dispapo8nting but hardly the end of the world.

Its worrying that our first real test of the season and thats how we perform

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

As bad a performance as I can ever remember from United. Some of those players should be ashamed. We defended OK but when we had the ball it was simply awful. Every single throw we had the ball was back to them within seconds. We couldn't string a few passes together. I actually think we lined out much more attacking than last season but the issue was performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Need pogba back asap the team was set up fine we just got over run in midfield again and pool pushed our midfield back simply were not good enough we were missing out two of our 3 best midfielders this season.

Ander as much as I love him he is not the best this season when it comes to passing and forward momentum he makes some stupid passes and gives the ball away too often.

Jayop wrote: »
    As bad a performance as I can ever remember from United. Some of those players should be ashamed. We defended OK but when we had the ball it was simply awful. Every single throw we had the ball was back to them within seconds. We couldn't string a few passes together. I actually think we lined out much more attacking than last season but the issue was performance.

I actually thought we did alright in the first half. Played high up the pitch etc. I thought we would kick on in the second half after keeping the game tight and mostly under control in the first.

Instead we went backwards big time. Could barely string two passes together and didn’t retain the possession at all. Second half was awful for me with the first being ok.

Jayop wrote: »
    That was the real disappointing part ,yes United lacked ambition to go for it but the attacking players and cm seemed totally off .Losing possession and misplaced passes from everyone.A few players were totally anonymous.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Need pogba back asap the team was set up fine we just got over run in midfield again and pool pushed our midfield back simply were not good enough we were missing out two of our 3 best midfielders this season.

Ander as much as I love him he is not the best this season when it comes to passing and forward momentum he makes some stupid passes and gives the ball away too often.

I’m not going to get into a Pogba debate with you as I know we have differing opinions so it’s pointless but, I’d have him in for Miki when he comes back with Matic and either Herrera or Fellaini behind him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Did Jose set them up to be unable to pass or control? Did his set up cause that and the subsequent lack of service and support?

Was our defensive stance 100% down to setup or caused by an inability of the players, through performance, to maintain possession and thus move up the pitch?

No, Jose cannot make 5 yard passes for the players, but make no mistake the genesis of that performance came from the management, from the mentality imparted and the decisions made.

The players will deserve and get their own criticism, but this isn't the first time we have seen that sort of game and it didn't come out of nowhere.

Its worrying that our first real test of the season and thats how we perform

Which is fair enough but not what you said.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Having had 30 minutes to reflect/

I'm disappointed we showed them more respect than they deserved. But given how poor a pairing Herrera and Matic were, how shaky Jones and Smalling can be as a combo, and how ineffective Mkhi was, I guess a draw at Anfield isn't too bad. The style of play was very, very poor. But at the end of the season, it won't be "two dropped points at Anfield" I'll be lamenting. I initially was annoyed with the tactics but agree with some in here that there's only so much Jose can do; the players were dross, unable to launch any form of counter attack, unable to hold possession at all. Tactically, I was disappointed but I can see the practical reasoning for playing that way. But the players don't have that excuse. They were just ****.

Silver linings; we're still unbeaten in the league. We've still only conceded two goals in 8 games, and I'd have put money on Pool putting one past us at Anfield.

Pool though.... thats what, 1 win in 7 for them, and Spurs up next? Klopp has to be under serious pressure.

Pogba loss to the team is massive. Nobody in the team can pass or shoot like he can

Also I’m just go8ng to throw this out there...

Would Jose have employed the same tactics if Pogba,Fellaini and Bailly were available?
    Guess we will have to wait until the next “big” away game to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I’m not going to get into a Pogba debate with you as I know we have differing opinions so it’s pointless but, I’d have him in for Miki when he comes back with Matic and either Herrera or Fellaini behind him.

I’d have a trio of matic fellaini and Pogba against the high press bigger teams (spurs pool and city)and matic Herrera and Pogba against the others (Chelsea & Arsenal)

Missing Fellaini and Pogba, who both are effective ways of beating the press hindered us completely. Fellaini for the out ball from DeGea/CB’s and Pogba for his ability to hold of players and move up the pitch with the ball quickly. I reckon if we had even one of those 2 today it would have been a different story

Would Jose have employed the same tactics if Pogba,Fellaini and Bailly were available?

I would say it would be very similar but those 3 maybe would have given a better platform to get on the ball more and keep it .Still wouldnt have solved the ineptitude of some playrrs and all those loose and misplaced balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Was wondering that myself, or if Utd were not seven points ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Meh.

A point where we didn't really deserve one is fine by me.

We are 6 points better off than this time last year so the improvement against the non top 6 sides is what will make or break our league campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I absolutely think he would have employed the same tactics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,377 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Go on elaborate please.

Martial has been very good this season. Why is Martial over Rashford such an issue?

Mata benched for either Darmian or young is the call I'd question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I absolutely think he would have employed the same tactics.

100%. The issue was not the tactics. It was that the players collectively shat the bed when they got the ball. Basics like passing, ball control moving after making a pass were all alien to them all today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

The fact that the players were more than happy to knock it around the edge of their box, pass back to DDG when finally put under pressure for him to then launch it up the pitch for a 50/50 aerial challenge isn't because the players bottled it.

It is what it is. But any blame should be shared amongst all guilty parties.

I'm not disappointed with the result. I'm just hoping that I don't see a series of similar performances away against top opposition this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭xtal191

Happy enough with a point just annoying to see us play so badly.

Herrera and Mkhitaryan were absolutely awful, sooner Fellaini and Pogba are back the better.

Herrera, mkhi and darmian were all particularly bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

xtal191 wrote: »
    Happy enough with a point just annoying to see us play so badly.

Herrera and Mkhitaryan were absolutely awful, sooner Fellaini and Pogba are back the better.

I think Herrera is not match sharp, which will happen when you aren't playing. He is usually a crisp passer and intelligent in defence.

Mkhitaryan is prone to those games though. His touch deserts him at times and he is not as fast as he thinks he is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Mata would have been far better than Mkhitaryan. Unpopular opinion I know but prefer Mata.

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    Mata would have been far better than Mkhitaryan. Unpopular opinion I know but prefer Mata.

Mata should have been in the team over young and we should have attacked liverpool today

pjohnson wrote: »

Absolute bang on. I know mkhi has great stats for assists but he's so anonymous for almost the whole game. He'll make one chance and then the stats look good. It's not enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Pogba was a loss not having him, but I think Fellaini was really missed.

city 3 up already :(

RobertKK wrote: »
    Pogba was a loss not having him, but I think Fellaini was really missed.

A cm of Matic Fellaini and Pogba would have been a massive difference today two lads in instead of Miki and Herera.

Really disappointing match but its not all doom and gloom .

• Advertisement

liverpools defence will never have an easier game all season. that says a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

3 0 to city place beating Chelsea........

We bottled it against a midtable team.

liverpools defence will never have an easier game all season. that says a lot

That's the most disappointing thing,Pool have been poor all season and are deserate at the back but United but them under no pressure.

city 3 up already :(

6 now!!! make it stop, they are already dead

There was a few times in the game DeGea targeted the wide players with out balls to get at the liverpool fullbacks and by pass the press if Fellaini had been around he might have had a field day.

Lukaku was terrible today at getting near any high balls played towards him and holding it up, he never got a chance to run in behind either as we just didnt have the ball retention so if we were to play like this in future I think Ibra would be a better option then him. Specifically for these tactics.

Lukaku has been savage this year so I wont hang him on one performance.

Ranting a bit but ya same tactics better utilisation of them though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Jose saying "it's just another game" then sets up the team not to lose rather than trying to win the game.Our passing was sloppy and set pieces atrocious.The whole planet knows Liverpool are poor at defending set pieces yet ours either hit the first man or sailed harmlessly away from any of our attackers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Right now it's hard to look past city to win the pl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Fúck off Stoke.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Palace with their first win of the season, and against Chelsea.

It's us or City this year. We'll be annoyed cause of today's result but Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool will be struggling for forth. It'll be City, us and Spurs for the title.

3 0 to city place beating Chelsea........

We bottled it against a midtable team.

And Chelsea the current champions beaten by the bottom team that hadn’t scored a goal up until today.

City hammering Stoke. So what? **** happens. It’s a league season not one set of fixtures.

It’s bizzare how people are posting updates on the City score to somehow have a dig at Utd and th result.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement