Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Interesting point from Football 365

"* November 8, 2014 might seem like an insignificant date, but it bears remembering in the aftermath of Saturday lunchtime’s game. A 2-1 victory over Liverpool for Chelsea at Anfield almost three years ago remains the last time Jose Mourinho managed a Premier League away win against any of the big six.

A 0-0 draw with Liverpool means Mourinho has now gone ten straight games without a win at Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester City, Manchester United, Tottenham or Saturday’s opponents. His sides have drawn five and lost five of those games, conceding 15 goals and scoring just four times. Just one of those away goals has come since he was appointed at Old Trafford." (http://www.football365.com/news/liverpool-0-0-manchester-united-16-conclusions)

This is exactly why Utd won't win the League this year and of course next will have the chance of Mourhino's 3 season syndrome.

2 big games in the next 4 league against Spurs and Chesski coming up

They give yellow cards for using nicknames like this in the pool thread is it ok if one of u do it in another thread?

It is just like the rest of the post to be honest .... childish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

jayo26 wrote: »
    They give yellow cards for using nicknames like this in the pool thread is it ok if one of u do it in another thread?

It is just like the rest of the post to be honest .... childish.

Leave him be ,he's probably still half drunk from celebrating the moral victory yeaterday .

I was just typing up a few thoughts on the match yesterday, and I went over to Reddit to try to find a gif of some match footage. However, I got distracted by the other headlines on r/soccer and came across a harrowing, non-United story.

An Indonesian goalkeeper in their Liga 1, Choirul Huda, has died after a fatal collision with his team mate during a game. There is footage, but I don't want to watch it. The description in the comments was enough. Reportedly, it doesn't even look that bad and resembles a collision you see often in football. However...NSFL
    Apparently the look of panic on his face in the immediate aftermath of the collision is soul-crushing, as he realises he's in big trouble
    :(

Anyway, reading about it made me realise the insignificance of my thoughts on the United game yesterday. It's just a really sad story, apparently this GK was 38 years old and not only a club legend, but one of Indonesian football.

Sorry to go off-topic and possibly bring the mood down, not my intention, I just feel like sharing this poor guy's name and what I know of the story with other football fans.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2738760-persela-lamongan-goalkeeper-choirul-huda-dies-at-38-after-mid-game-collision

(There are other news items out there, but that's the only one which doesn't have stills of the incident laced through-out the article)

Anyway, R.I.P. Choirul Huda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

I

(There are other news items out there, but that's the only one which doesn't have stills of the incident laced through-out the article)

Anyway, R.I.P. Choirul Huda.

Absolutely puts things into perspective.

I couldn't stop myself from watching it.

Pretty tough watch.

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I came across that thread earlier on .Harrowing scenes.

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I had a look at the video, the collision itself really didn’t look that bad. He is then up on his knees holding his face and from then it goes mental.

Defo puts things into perspective, really hope the defender does not blame himself over it.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Just on yesterday's game to quote Fergie,
    Attack wins you games, defence wins you titles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Jose's mouthpiece Duncan Castles has released a story about him becoming frustrated at how Woodward is running the club.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jose-mourinho-could-quit-manchester-11347416

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Jose is negotiating a new contract, right? Feels like the quotes from his camp today are part of that tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Jose's mouthpiece Duncan Castles has released a story about him becoming frustrated at how Woodward is running the club.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jose-mourinho-could-quit-manchester-11347416

Unsure what Mourinho could complain about. The club have delivered literally every player he has asked for. Its difficult to see the club refusing him anything that its in their power to grant. If its just a negotiation ploy, there is a real danger of it backfiring and provoking irritation on the side of the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

Sand wrote: »
    Unsure what Mourinho could complain about. The club have delivered literally every player he has asked for. Its difficult to see the club refusing him anything that its in their power to grant. If its just a negotiation ploy, there is a real danger of it backfiring and provoking irritation on the side of the club.

Or considering it's the "daily.." it could mean fck all.

limnam wrote: »
    Or considering it's the "daily.." it could mean fck all.

I'd think the same except its Duncan Castles whose basically Mourinho's PA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

yabadabado wrote: »
    Leave him be ,he's probably still half drunk from celebrating the moral victory yeaterday .

As one of them said to Full Time Devils yesterday: "Take away the result we won the game".
    That's the groundwork for winning the alternative league there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Do you honestly believe that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Damn you Ivan Perisic and Inter.:)

I'd think the same except its Duncan Castles whose basically Mourinho's PA.

I find there is tiers to how good the info is or not. Usually, Castles properly good stuff is in The Times. He usually puts the shakier stuff in the Record.

Tbh, it reads to me like he's trying to pressure Woody into a better contra and some other agreeements with regards transfers, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Don't let the door hit you on the way out Jose.................

ziggyman17 wrote: »

Be another 2 years anyway buddy. Great to have him.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Lord TSC wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

If the quotes are true, then its obvious that he is not too pushed at being here, I want a manager who wants to be here, giving out qoutes that his son was happier to go watch a game in Paris rather than watching his Fathers team play is very telling, Fergie had his ups and downs with the club through the years but you would never have gotten a quote like that out of him, if he is half arsed about managing us then that will transfer to the players, but where does that leave us, there is not a great deal of great managers out there to go for.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Just on yesterday's game to quote Fergie,
    What was the context of that quote again? A title winning team requires a decent defence and not just a string of quality attacking players? Not really sure how it applies to yesterday's game. Unless it's a comment on Liverpools title chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

A quote I saw on the BBC this morning spoke to one of the issues I have with that ****e yesterday.

Its one thing to every now and then try to avoid defeat in a big game against a rival, when a defeat might have bigger ramifications than just some points dropped. But in October? Against a side that had been badly struggling because of their porous defence?

Forget the result, the mentality and attitude on display yesterday really worries me, it was a scared, small club attitude that doesn't speak well of how the manager and the players see themselves.

Beating small teams might be the bread and butter but winning big games wins you the big trophies, something we won't be doing any time soon with that type of attitude.
    Exactly. Yesterday was cowardly and Mourinho continues to do it.
    We are unwatchable again the big teams. Boring negative ****e.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaSAofHn7Tc/

Pogba doing a lot of tagging of United today in his posts and looking really strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Would he back for next weekend's game

Yes? Its not alien life living amongst us. Pogba. Lukaku. Ibrahimovic. Matic. Bailly. Mkhitaryan. Lindelhof. All delivered. Pogba a world record transfer fee.

Griezmann refused to come while there was a transfer ban. Inter refused to sell Perisic. Both outside the clubs control and no sense from Mourinho that it was a problem in either case. Anything he has asked for that was practically possible, the club has delivered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭xtal191

Yes? Its not alien life living amongst us. Pogba. Lukaku. Ibrahimovic. Matic. Bailly. Mkhitaryan. Lindelhof. All delivered. Pogba a world record transfer fee.

Griezmann refused to come while there was a transfer ban. Inter refused to sell Perisic. Both outside the clubs control and no sense from Mourinho that it was a problem in either case. Anything he has asked for that was practically possible, the club has delivered.

Wording there's a bit different

FB_IMG_1508103032722.jpg

• Advertisement

So.. who would you have instead of him?

The quotes are probably taking out of context a bit, he was asked if he sees himself retiring at United IiRC and he said he didn’t. He has always made it known that he would like to manage Portugal at some stage so I don’t get what the big hoopla around these quotes are

Stay safe tomorrow folks

6 games in 18 days

rvQ7MEz_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

astradave wrote: »

flirting with PSG already.... not a good sign

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Wow some United fans just want to bitch
    You finally have a great manager again and now are bitching because he doesnt want to finish his career at the club
    The very manager who said he will manage his national team and is very open about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

6 games in 18 days

Yay :)

Those 18 days should definitely show us if we have what it takes to compete with City this season for the title. We really need Pogba, Fellaini, Bailly though for these games.

"The only thing I can say is that I’m still a coach with worries, with ambitions and with the desire to do new things. And I don’t believe ... no, I’m sure that I won’t end my career here.”

Asked if that meant at United, Mourinho said: “Yes.” Mourinho responded to the question of whether he might one day join PSG by revealing his son had taken the club to his heart.

“The other day my son who lives in London went to Paris and not to Manchester to watch the match,” Mourinho said. Asked why his son chose that option, the United manager added: “Because at the moment in Paris there is something special. Magic, quality, youth, it’s fantastic.”

he shouldnt be saying stuff like that when he is the manager of man utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I can see Jose staying 5 more years at least if we win the league this year and challenge for Champions League maybe winning it in the next year or two with the league or fa cups to boot. He didn't win the champions league with Chelsea so that's definitely on his to do list with us, m again in France and Germany must be on his to do list too.

Rojo in the travelling squad for the Benfica game :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Rojo in the travelling squad for the Benfica game :)

Great news, hopefully he quickly recaptures his form. Can never trust smalling so jones, bailly and rojo on form are brilliant.

Any news on the return of Ibra?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'll be honest. That talk from Mourinho has pissed me off no end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Yeah I’ll admit when first reading it I was thinking to myself, is there a need for him to be saying these things? And the answer is no

It’s similar to what he did at Madrid when the rumours of fergie retiring came about, and it’s not nice to be on the other end of it

Feck all in his comments, trying to divert attention away from the other days game.
    Move along nothing to see here folks.

Feck all in his comments, trying to divert attention away from the other days game.
    Move along nothing to see here folks.

That, and it's how Mendes clients negotate contracts. This, boys and girls, is how Real Madrid fans feel every year when Ronnie teases joining us. Negotiations run on the person you're negoating with thinking you're willing to walk away :/

I'm not delighted about those comments of Jose's, or the interview in general, but I'm not livid or that surprised either. He has never said that he wanted to see out his career at United. He said in the past that he would like to manage Portugal one day. Jose not planning on emulating Fergie's longevity at the club is not an immediate concern or a surprise to me.

As TSC said, there could be other things at play here in relation to negotiating a new contract at the club. The fact that these comments came about the same day as Duncan Castles ran a 'Jose not ecstatic with Woodward' line is not a complete coincidence IMO. If Jose is trying to get a new contract at the club and the best contract possible, he might be just looking to strengthen his position here.

The common thought among United observers is (was?) that Jose Mourinho is now in his ideal job, sure why would he want to leave and where else would he go? That reading of the situation doesn't exactly give Jose the strongest position in negotiating terms. Maybe Jose is just expressing a bit of his individuality here, reminding certain people that it isn't a given that he will be here for years to come, that there are other options for him and he won't just sign any contract United put in front of him.

All that said, I'd rather the interview wasn't done in the first place. There's the act of being complimentary to the country where you are being interviewed in, and then there's an attempt to build foundations for your next job. I think Jose veered a bit too much on the side of the latter in that interview.

Sure, it might be negotiation tactics, it might be Jose just pointing out facts in the modern game about management. However, given the point our club is now at in its recovery, the uncertain years we've come through, and how we now seem to be actually making progress in terms of contending for a title again, I think these comments are ill-timed for the overall good of the club.

As for these comments being a well-conceived distraction from the poor result and performance at the weekend - Did this interview not take place before the Liverpool game, in France during the International break? If that's the case, distraction from the Liverpool result doesn't come into it. I see the original L'Equipe article is dated 1.30pm yesterday (Sunday), so I would definitely think this was conducted before the game.

And just before I click 'submit reply', I see that Jamie Jackson at the Guardian has written an article with the headline 'Jose Wants big pay rise..'

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/oct/16/jose-mourinho-pay-rise-manchester-united-new-contract?CMP=share_btn_tw

I'll be honest, as I was reading the article it came across like a brief of some sorts. I wasn't surprised to then see in the r/reddevils comments that a few other people thought this also. Specifically, some thought that it could be from Mendes and screams like a tactic of his.

So, in short, Jose could be looking to strengthen his position here and seek a much improved contract at the club, using PSG as leverage. It's not an ideal method, but apparently a done thing in how contract negotiations are conducted in football today by some parties.

Just seen on sky there, in the last 9 away matches against the top 6 sides we havent won 1 game and only scored 1 goal!! That is a shocking stat and going by the way we played at liverpool i dont really see it changing much

bangkok wrote: »
    Just seen on sky there, in the last 9 away matches against the top 6 sides we havent won 1 game and only scored 1 goal!! That is a shocking stat and going by the way we played at liverpool i dont really see it changing much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

So, in short, Jose could be looking to strengthen his position here and seek a much improved contract at the club, using PSG as leverage. It's not an ideal method, but apparently a done thing in how contract negotiations are conducted in football today by some parties.

Assuming that its true, I have one problem with all of that. He is only there a wet week.

He is 10/11 games into only his second season, is it not a bit early to start with damn contract mindgames?

Assuming that its true, I have one problem with all of that. He is only there a wet week.

He is 10/11 games into only his second season, is it not a bit early to start with damn contract mindgames?

Was it a three year contract he was given? In which case, he's halfway through it and we need to be discussing it I guess.

I was thinking that alright, but then I considered that in football terms '18 months remaining on current deal' is not a whole lot. Added to that, the trophies in the first season and CL qualification might be what he feels would earn him an improved contract, rather than the wins so far this season against lower-placed opposition. The good start to the new season might only be the thing that confirms Jose's upward trajectory and why he feels now is the time for contract talks.

We see players rewarded frequently with improved contracts when they go through a sustained patch of good form for their club. Maybe Jose and/or his agent feel that winning those trophies and gaining CL qualification in his first season was the equivalent of a striker having a 25+ goal season. Maybe.

Seeking a new contract and the best terms possible, I have no problem with. I would be wary of him going down the 'contract mindgames' route though, especially so early as you put it. As I said in my last post, never mind outside of the 'time remaining' implications, the club is at an important point in its recovery and could be doing without this hint of uncertainty from the 'new' manager. Even if it is just to negotiate a new contract.

I don't like it when Ronaldo uses United for leverage while at Real. As it turns out, I don't like it when Jose uses PSG for leverage while at United.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement