Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

What's the obsession with united from Liverpool fans?.

Fixed your post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

bangkok wrote: »
    No but we are in the 2nd season now and most people in here said before liverpool game we should be beating them. Their defence is terrible and they were missing their best player. We went there and sat back for 90min not looking to create at all. In 2 visits to anfield under jose we have had 2 shots. City went to chelsea and had 14 attempts alone and that is probably their hardest game of the season out of the way

Well JAYSUS if most people in here say we should be beating them it must be true. You yourself said before the game that its "Liverpool away" form goes out the window in these games, I'm paraphrasing here as I'm not bothered to go back and search for it, but will happily do so.

So what is it, are you taking your own opinion on the game to suit your agenda or the general consensus on the boards thread?

We sat back and tried to counter, Lukaku's chance and the link up play to get him in 1st half was as good as any chance Liverpool created. The rest of our counter attacking flattered to decieve, but you can't blame Jose when Herrera couldn't string a pass together and failed to link defense with attack.

Im not worried about chelsea, city are the team to beat and thats where we need ti be aiming. They are on fire at the moment and will be hard caught if they get any sort of lead

They were also on fire up until the end of October last year, then struggled to get 4th. I would hold off until Xmas to make any decisions on where the league is going. Look at the Napoli game, fantastic going forward. Defense.... thats a worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

They were also on fire up until the end of October last year, then struggled to get 4th. I would hold off until Xmas to make any decisions on where the league is going. Look at the Napoli game, fantastic going forward. Defense.... thats a worry.

Yeah but dont forget defence = bad. Its all about goalscoring. Sure you get a bonus point every 5 shots you take.

We are 6 goals behind City in the valuble Goal Difference table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Rekop dog wrote: »
    There's a lot of blind faith in Mourinho here, and maybe deserved due to his phenomenal career and his 2nd season record. But I see warning signs here that I hadn't at his previous clubs. It's incredible what you can get away with when fans are convinced you're a genius. United fans here were probably the most vocal about how awful Liverpool defence was all season, to not even try to or have the ability to test that is a massive worry no matter how brainwashed you are by his past.

The hilarity of this post is it can just as easily be applied to almost any manager. Klopp has the exact same status among Liverpool fans, Jose with United, Pep with City etc. Wenger is probably the only exception due to his longevity.

Fans back manager of there own club..... shocking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

pjohnson wrote: »
    Yeah but dont forget defence = bad. Its all about goalscoring. Sure you get a bonus point every 5 shots you take.

And a long way behind them in the Entertainment table which a club like United should be providing.
    Its painful watching United in the big games. Who gives a **** about dominating games against the bottom teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

With Bravo in goals. Ederson looks an excellent keeper, walker is one of the best rb in the league, stones has improved a lot.

We will see exactly where we are over the next few weeks when we play spurs and chelsea

Robson99 wrote: »
    And a long way behind them in the Entertainment table which a club like United should be providing.
    Its painful watching United in the big games. Who gives a **** about dominating games against the bottom teams.

So better to just go all out attack and if we loose are you guys gunna celebrate "entertainment provided" even if we get no points? How does this entertainment table influence the Premier League table?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

To be fair "going for it" regardless of result is all that matters. Apparently Spurs draw against Madrid was better than our draw with Liverpool. FIFA must have introduced a new rugbyesque bonus point system.

Nobody is making that point. Obviously a draw away to Liverpool isn't a bad result in isolation, it's the manner that the result was obtained and the mentality that we aren't good enough to get anything better than a draw is what's worrying. And yes, Spurs' result and performance away to Madrid was a lot better and more impressive than ours away to Liverpool.

Funny man. We've lost a title on goal difference before.

With Bravo in goals. Ederson looks an excellent keeper, walker is one of the best rb in the league, stones has improved a lot.

We will see exactly where we are over the next few weeks when we play spurs and chelsea

Has your hatred of Fellaini really turned you into a City fan? Walker offensively is grand. Defensively he is not one of the best.

Whoops! Theres that nasty word "defence" again.

• Advertisement

And yes, Spurs' result and performance away to Madrid was a lot better and more impressive than ours away to Liverpool.

Funny man. We've lost a title on goal difference before.
    To the best of my knowledge a draw in Madrid yields a single point for Spurs in the CL table. Our draw with Liverpool provided us with a single point in the PL table. I cant see how thier single point is better than our single point.

I guess football isn't about results anymore! Just how purdy it is :)

Fantastic, respond to one point and overlook the fact that you outlined a draw would be a decent enough result before the pool game, but hey lets change my original opinion using hindsight like it didn't matter at all.

Also great to see we agree on something, lets wait and see. No need to throw the toys out of the pram after 8 games, 7 clean sheets, 22 goals scored and 2 conceded.

But hey, each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

To the best of my knowledge a draw in Madrid yields a single point for Spurs in the CL table. Our draw with Liverpool provided us with a single point in the PL table. I cant see how thier single point is better than our single point.

Well there's obviously context there that you're deliberately ignoring. By that logic a draw at home to Brighton is no worse a result than a draw away to Barcelona.

Spurs performed far better last night than we did on Saturday, that's not even up for debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Lads we've drawn one more league match than the mighty city. Clearly its time we execute Jose and get big Sam for the pending relegation battle. Maybe beg LVG to be back. We'll have the glorious possession stats again <3
    To be fair "going for it" regardless of result is all that matters. Apparently Spurs draw against Madrid was better than our draw with Liverpool. FIFA must have introduced a new rugbyesque bonus point system.

So better to just go all out attack and if we loose are you guys gunna celebrate "entertainment provided" even if we get no points? How does this entertainment table influence the Premier League table?
    Whoops! Theres that nasty word "defence" again.

Exhibit A as to why many posters don't bother any more.

Its exactly the bigger picture that concerns me, unless you really think people consider a point away to Liverpool a bad result.

I also disagree about this being a one off result that nobody will remember in April. I think it will be a watershed result, the sort of result that people will point back at as the point where the excuses started to sound a bit tired. We saw similar performances last season against the likes of Chelsea and nobody was concerned at all, we understood the whys and whatnots.

This was a different context, this was a form team going to a side with a defense that had been creaking badly and we didn't even try to test them. Fall short in the league this year and this is exactly the sort of game people will be remembering when they wonder why United spent so much money but couldn't compete with their rivals.

The apocalypse is nigh type posts are great exhibits of discussion.

Exhibit A as to why many posters don't bother any more.

Consistent sarcasm to hit home a valid point. I liked it.

You yourself said before the game that its "Liverpool away" form goes out the window in these games

If I wanted to illustrate the cause for my disquiet I would say this: Form didn't go out the window, we threw it out the window.

We were the ones who disregarded form, changed a winning team, did not attack the oppositions weak points and settled for a point without even thinking about 3 of them.

We ignored form, and I really disagree that we needed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

Have a strange feeling Shaw might get a start tonight or at least a good 30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Have a strange feeling Shaw might get a start tonight or at least a good 30

He needs to force his way in soon enough as with Rojo back in 2 weeks it’s going to make it even harder

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

I started supporting United nearly 40 years ago, not because they were winning leagues but because they were entertaining to watch and always had a go and played with a swagger. Always looked forward to when the big games came about.
    But that ****e Saturday and against the other top teams last year wouldnt entice any youngster to start watching or following us.
    I would take watching entertaining football and having a go and possibly coming up short at the end of the season over watching that muck in the big games to get a point

• Advertisement

A draw away to liverpool without scoring a goal and creating very little to a defence that everyone knows is awful or a draw and an excellent performance away to the best team in europe right now, i know which performance i would prefer

A draw away to liverpool without scoring a goal and creating very little to a defence that everyone knows is awful or a draw and an excellent performance away to the best team in europe right now, i know which performance i would prefer

Again, a defence everyone knows is awful....but again before the game you were harping on about how this is Liverpool and form goes out the window.

Which one is it......you can't back both horses, it doesn't work like that.

If I wanted to illustrate the cause for my disquiet I would say this: Form didn't go out the window, we threw it out the window.

We were the ones who disregarded form, changed a winning team, did not attack the oppositions weak points and settled for a point without even thinking about 3 of them.

We ignored form, and I really disagree that we needed to.

Contribution to that good form was because of Pogba, Fellani & Baily being available for selection.
    None were available against Liverpool and arguably those three listed are some of our best players.

Herrera has been poor since he's had to step in. And Miki Ryan was non-existent.
    Matic did alot of covering for both on Saturday but it's not his job to link the attack.

Again, a defence everyone knows is awful....but again before the game you were harping on about how this is Liverpool and form goes out the window.

Little did we know before the game that he would drop mata and rashford, play the team ultra defensive ane not test moreno at least one on one on more than one occasion

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Little did we know before the game that he would drop mata and rashford, play the team ultra defensive ane not test moreno at least one on one on more than one occasion

Rashford was carrying an injury from the England game and was replaced by Martial, the player he's been swopping with all season. Hardly dropped. Or replaced by an inferior player.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Fellaini was at the PSG hotel yesterday to meet Thomas Meunier, Meunier who said it is his dream to play for United as he is a fan.
    He is a right back who brings goals, probably just very good friends chatting the way Pogba and Griezmann do...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I think United would have been more offensive if Jose had Fellaini available to play against Liverpool.

I just hope we win tonight. I will have a good time against my Portuguese friend who is from Lisbon once we don't lose...he will be at the match shouting for Benfica.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Feels very hostile in here..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

A blind man could see that the use of the phrase "form goes out the window" by Bangkok in relation to the match on Saturday meant the possibility that LFC could play out of their skins and potentially beat the in form free scoring Utd.

Instead of LFC playing out of their skins (whilst missing their best player) Utd, who were also without their best player, decided to abandon the excellent "form" they had shown in the previous 7 PL games all of which were against bottom half of the table teams and play for a 0-0 draw in this so called "big" game which they achieved so job done but it was nothing to do with "form" being thrown out the window.

LFC didn't play out of their skins. For some reason Mourinho didn't think the form shown in the previous 7 games would yield a positive result so he set the team up to play for the 0-0.

Before the game most Utd fans were (rightly IMO) expecting their team to rip LFC apart lst Saturday and most LFC fans (myself included) were apprehensive of being on the wrong end of a 3-4 goal thumping and whilst hoping for a win would happily settle for a draw.

After the game most LFC fans were happy with the overall performance but frustrated at not winning the game whilst most Utd fans I know were frustrated by the performance (more the set up and tactic than the execution of same) but OK with the result given the performance/set up.

Form wasn't a factor, setting up for a 0-0 draw saw to that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Feels very hostile in here..

latest?cb=20131014180818

Match thread....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Did you prefer the time we went 10 men down to City and went for it and ended up losing 6-0?

Look at it in the grand scheme of the season. its 4 away games....

Totally not the same. I'd prefer if we went out in the Liverpool game and played like we have in every premier league game this season, which is good defensively and still attack minded. We weren't playing city or chelsea away. We were playing Liverpool who were there for the taking.

Did you watch City at Chelsea. They went for it and won. We should have the same mentality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

ollkiller wrote: »
    Totally not the same. I'd prefer if we went out in the Liverpool game and played like we have in every premier league game this season, which is good defensively and still attack minded. We weren't playing city or chelsea away. We were playing Liverpool who were there for the taking.

Did you watch City at Chelsea. They went for it and won. We should have the same mentality.

Maybe that would have happened if the most important players in those games, Pogba and/or Fellaini had been there. There was nobody there for the De Gea to look for bar Lukaku and he is not great in the air for his size. It meant a lot of balls out to nobody and with Herrera playing as he did meant there was nobody carrying the ball forward or receiving it in a position to make something happen with linking attack and defence.

Jose didn't want it to go like that imo. But was quick to settle for it when it was clear how the game was going.

Liam O wrote: »
    Maybe that would have happened if the most important players in those games, Pogba and/or Fellaini had been there. There was nobody there for the De Gea to look for bar Lukaku and he is not great in the air for his size. It meant a lot of balls out to nobody and with Herrera playing as he did meant there was nobody carrying the ball forward or receiving it in a position to make something happen with linking attack and defence.

Jose didn't want it to go like that imo. But was quick to settle for it when it was clear how the game was going.

I don't accept this though. Pogba wasn't there for 6 games previous to that and we scored 4 goals in four of them. And is Felliani now considered the heartbeat of our side, that we are nothing and cannot function without Felliani?

Man for man the team we put out was better than Liverpools, so of all the arguments to defend that performance the one I find hardest to accept is the one that points to missing players. You will find a quote from me pre-game stating that Matic and Herrera are a better midfield than Can and Henderson, and I still believe that. I doubt I am the only one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Is Utd game on any of terrestrial channels tonight like Rte or Utv?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Is Utd game on any of terrestrial channels tonight like Rte or Utv?

Looks like united are on RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

It's on BT Sport 2 for those who don't want to listen to Dunphy and Co..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

You honkey ma'fa!:pac: I'll just go and delete my own now. It was amazing, I spent a good 100 seconds on it.

• Advertisement

Damn, can't delete a thread, of course. I'm sure the mods will sort it soon.

i have a 100% win record on match threads. #justsayin

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'll do it now.

Wait....

tenor.gif

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I'll do it now.

Wait....

tenor.gif

We can try sacrificing Stu?

i have a 100% win record on match threads. #justsayin

I've created a few in the past, pretty sure they were during the Moyes/LVG years so my own win record is probably fúcked. In fact, I try not to do them unless there isn't one up a few hours before a game, which was the case here.

Your match thread for tonight was created before mine, yours is flashier and more informative. The mods will do the right thing.

#votestu

We can try sacrificing Stu?

Wait...I'm getting flashbacks to Werewolf. Stop that PJ :pac:

I don't accept this though. Pogba wasn't there for 6 games previous to that and we scored 4 goals in four of them. And is Felliani now considered the heartbeat of our side, that we are nothing and cannot function without Felliani?

Man for man the team we put out was better than Liverpools, so of all the arguments to defend that performance the one I find hardest to accept is the one that points to missing players. You will find a quote from me pre-game stating that Matic and Herrera are a better midfield than Can and Henderson, and I still believe that. I doubt I am the only one.

Whats your measurement here? With Pogba in the side we looked way more assured in midfield along with those wins there was controlling performances, Especially with Matic behind him.

Without Pogba most of those victories against weaker opposition we didn't look as commanding. Some of the scorelines glossed over the performances (Everton game in particular).

Is it that hard to understand that some are of the opinion that Pogba, Fellani and Baily are some of the most important players in the squad at current?

Cannot Function? The team was functional. If it wasn't we would have lost at Anfield.

Again Herrera under-performing is his own fault. He was hardly able to string two passes together.

Only critical player I think Liverpool were missing was Sane.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Wait...I'm getting flashbacks to Werewolf. Stop that PJ :pac:

I am acknowledging seeing this post so that you don't think its suspicious if I ignore it.

i hate you and if im a wolf next week, you're dying first...

I've created a few in the past, pretty sure they were during the Moyes/LVG years so my own win record is probably fúcked. In fact, I try not to do them unless there isn't one up a few hours before a game, which was the case here.

Your match thread for tonight was created before mine, yours is flashier and more informative. The mods will do the right thing.

#votestu

Maybe we get a Champions League Megamerge Thread

giphy.gif

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Whats your measurement here?

My measurement is simply that we had a better team on that pitch than Liverpool did and so missing players cannot be used as an excuse. We had a better team out there and had the same expectation that any better team in good form should have against a weaker team in bad form.

Nothing hindsight about that by the way, there are plenty of pregame posts discussing that expectation.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement