Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Lindelof starts tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Wait...I'm getting flashbacks to Werewolf. Stop that PJ :pac:

If we can't delete the thread we must delete you. Thats the rules
    tumblr_nbnnpxQtMu1qbu8qpo1_500.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

happy with the team.

DDG, Valencia, Lindelof, Smalling, Blind, Herrera, Matic, Miki, Maka, Rashford, Lukaku.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Only critical player I think Liverpool were missing was Sane.

Liverpool always miss Sane.

FFS Bangkoks constant praise of City is affecting us all.

My measurement is simply that we had a better team on that pitch than Liverpool did and so missing players cannot be used as an excuse. We had a better team out there and had the same expectation that any better team in good form should have against a weaker team in bad form.

Nothing hindsight about that by the way, there are plenty of pregame posts discussing that expectation.

You have yet to acknowledge both Herrera & Mikis performance on Saturday.
    Henderson & Can outperformed them both easily.
    Matic covered for both.

I never suggested your posting is in hindsight.

And yes, it's not an excuse. We were missing some of our best players.
    With them in the side I think we would have put in a better challenge.

happy with the team.

DDG, Valencia, Lindelof, Smalling, Blind, Herrera, Matic, Miki, Maka, Rashford, Lukaku.

Miki Maka :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Benfica’s Mile Svilar, at 18 years and 52 days old, will become the youngest-ever goalkeeper to play in the Champions League tonight.

M@tic plz stop you're having a nightmare
    So they were at full strength?

Liverpool were simply not missing (Leroy) Sané, mainly because of the fact he plays for Manchester City. Liverpool were actually missing Sadio Mané.

Maka :)

Don't mention bad spellings for a while :P

pjohnson wrote: »
    M@tic plz stop you're having a nightmare

Liverpool were simply not missing (Leroy) Sané, mainly because of the fact he plays for Manchester City. Liverpool were actually missing Sadio Mané.

Don't mention bad spellings for a while :P

Sane, Mane

Potato Potaato

Miki Maka :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

Just to re-visit this notion that Jose played specifically for a draw. I believe his objective with his tactics was to hit Liverpool on the counter. Would you play Martial and Miki in a formation that is designed to park the bus? Unlikely i would imagine considering neither are reknowned for their defensive qualities. People crying out for Mata to play instead of Young, might seem to forget how Mata can often slow down build up play and isn't blessed with the pace of Miki or even Young. Granted Young also can give more defensive cover, but knowing that Coutinho is most likely to play on the left side cutting in, it's hardly negative to want your wide player to give support to the full-back. Could Mourinho have forseen how poor on the ball Ander would be? How un-involved Miki would be? How. even though he received little service, whenever Lukaku was called upon to hold his control, touch and reading of the game let him down? That the transition play from defence to the front men via Miki and Ander was disjointed, thus adversely affecting the tactics. That our delivery from set pieces against a side known to defend set pieces poorly was poor?
    Do i think all the above affected Jose's game plan? Yes, definitely. Could he have been more adventurous? Possibly yes. At the end of the day he got the organised defensive structure right against a team, that while not in the greatest form, can be a massively offensive threat. They scored 7 last night in an away CL game. It may have been Maribor but it's still a fantastic feat to score 7. In my opinion, the performance of certain players from midfield up were severely lacking and greatly hindered the overall plan. To anyone think going to Anfield is an easy 3 points i would question how they see and read football. There seems to be a level of "Abramovichism" when it comes to football now and all people want to see is free flowing attacking football. The is more than 1 way to skin a cat and the season is never won in October. There's a reason managers who are 1 dimensional never really seem to reach the summit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Match thread has gone all "Andy Goram" ( and don't mean sectarian )

@clubberlang12

Mata didn't even come off the bench.

That's what people were giving out about.

Jose could have done a straight sub ie Mata on for Miki and he didn't.

He is great for creating an opening or grabbing a goal. Especially in the latter stages of a game.

Whats your measurement here? With Pogba in the side we looked way more assured in midfield along with those wins there was controlling performances, Especially with Matic behind him.

Without Pogba most of those victories against weaker opposition we didn't look as commanding. Some of the scorelines glossed over the performances (Everton game in particular).

Is it that hard to understand that some are of the opinion that Pogba, Fellani and Baily are some of the most important players in the squad at current?

Cannot Function? The team was functional. If it wasn't we would have lost at Anfield.

Again Herrera under-performing is his own fault. He was hardly able to string two passes together.

Only critical player I think Liverpool were missing was Sane

On Liverpool's critical players who were missing, I think their fans highly value Lallana as a vital part of their ideal first team. But sure, you might know that better than I Mick :pac:

I said in a post yesterday that I wasn't happy about the way we approached the game, but the players let the manager down on the day. Players like Herrera.

I agree Herrera was poor and that Jose was not shouting at him from the touch-line "ANDER!! Misplace the pass, NOW!!". So it was Herrera's fault in that sense.

However, Herrera has needed a run of games in the past to find some form. He went from being one of our most-used players last season, to a bench-warmer now. That isn't his fault.

Yes, Matic has come in and has found his feet quickly, Fellaini became somewhat undroppable given his form while filling in for Pogba, so it's not a mystery why Ander has seen fúck-all gametime.

If Herrera had have put in that performance on Saturday while he was a regular first-teamer, I'd be not only frustrated but a bit surprised. However, with the way it went for him last Saturday given his lack of games, it wasn't a surprise.

Should Jose have played him a bit more so far this season than he has? No. That would be pure revisionism. Of course I'd like to have seen Herrera get more substitute appearances, but the way it has gone down has lead us to a great start to the season.

The thing is though, and not just with Herrera - How do we keep a good thing going with the regular starters, and make sure our squad/bench players are getting enough competitive minutes to remain effective when we need them to be a starter? Martial/Rashford is close to the ideal, if only it could work like that for all the team/squad.

Herrera was very rusty the other day, but we've seen him shine in those kind of games in the past. Herrera himself isn't a worry for me at the moment. It's more the CM and our use/rotation of the personnel.

This is not revisionism, I've said it before about the bigger games, and it isn't exactly an unpopular opinion:- In some of these tougher games we should be putting 3 in CM. Even now while we're injury stricken in the position, I would have liked to see Lingard or Mata as the third CM over Mkhi and whatever he was the other day.

Anyway, I agree we're missing Pogba, and players like Herrera were poor last Saturday. I see now that he's in the line-up for tonight, Ander needs to step-up just like Fellaini did when Pogba got injured.

Haha, poor Ander, every year he has to prove himself at United. But, it's Man United, and I'm sure the man himself wouldn't have it any other way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Ferdinand spot on, years ago utd would have gone to anfield and be happy with a point, but i dont think they coukd be happy with that point considering how poor they played.

Anyway, hoping for a solid win tonight, early goal to kill the crowd and go from there

Match thread has gone all "Andy Goram" ( and don't mean sectarian )

Theres only 2 Mr.Crinklewoods

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

@clubberlang12

Mata didn't even come off the bench.

That's what people were giving out about.

Jose could have done a straight sub ie Mata on for Miki and he didn't.

He is great for creating an opening or grabbing a goal. Especially in the latter stages of a game.

Probably, even though i thought i had heard some posters say about Mata should have started instead of Young. He could have brought on Mata but i can see why he'd want Lingaard's pace going into the last 20/25 mins against a team who may tire due to their high temp game style. Also, with the way the link up play was, it could have been likely that Mata may have been just as ineffective as Miki.
    I just don't feel it's the doom and gloom some here are carrying on like. Fergie had plenty of poor results, put out plenty of starting 11's to nullify opposition, etc. If City weren't playing in the form they are, and we were top of the table.......would people have seen going to Anfield and getting a point in a different light? If players had performed their roles better and we grabbed a win......would it have been a Mourinho Tactical Masterclass? I would have liked to have seen a more positive display but i don't for one minute lay complete blame at Mourinho's feet, which is what a lot here seem to be doing.

bangkok wrote: »
    Ferdinand spot on, years ago utd would have gone to anfield and be happy with a point, but i dont think they coukd be happy with that point considering how poor they played.

Anyway, hoping for a solid win tonight, early goal to kill the crowd and go from there

Utd are second in the league and are unbeaten

Utd Have 100% record in the CL

We are in all other cup competitions

Relax lads

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I am acknowledging seeing this post so that you don't think its suspicious if I ignore it.

i hate you and if im a wolf next week, you're dying first...

Haha, consider your acknowledgment acknowledged!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Away from home in the CL tonight, six points already in the bag, seems like an away draw would be a perfectly acceptable result all things considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Away from home in the CL tonight, six points already in the bag, seems like an away draw would be a perfectly acceptable result all things considered.
    Is that not the exact same sentiment that many have been outraged at for the past 5 days?

• Advertisement

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Is that not the exact same sentiment that many have been outraged at for the past 5 days?

Past 5 hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Not sure if sarcasm

l417_f-maxage-0.gif

S.M.B. wrote: »

You mean bangkok and robson?

You mean bangkok and robson?

No my "outrage" was we played a poor liverpool team without their best player and an awful defence and didnt win.

Would happily take a draw tonight. Its a different competition that 10 points would probably get us through to next round

Herrera and Miki extremely poor again tonight so far

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Fellaini is a huge loss

Hococop wrote: »
    Fellaini is a huge loss

Pogba is the biggest loss we have. No creativity or class passer currently in the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

No my "outrage" was we played a poor liverpool team without their best player and an awful defence and didnt win.

Would happily take a draw tonight. Its a different competition that 10 points would probably get us through to next round
    This Benfica team is worse than Liverpool and in similarly poor form.

And our goal should be to top this group as opposed to merely qualifying. If things stay the same in both games then we're not in that strong a position going in the second round of games.

I genuinely see little to no difference.

Mkhitaryan needs benching. Hes gone complacent or something and needs to remember he has competition. Get Lingard in the side.

Pogba is the biggest loss we have. No creativity or class passer currently in the team

He didn't play Saturday
    Would he have made a difference Bangkok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

When we bought him for 20 million it looked like absolute daylight robbery from Dortmund but you’d be lying if you said Mkhitaryan has performed better than you’d expect a 20 million pound player to play for us in the year he has been here.

Average.

He didn't play Saturday
    Would he have made a difference Bangkok?

Probably not considering the way jose set the team up. Lukaku was too isolated to play a counter attack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Negative stuff here so far from Mourinho. Benfica are a really poor team.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Terrible from miki

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Probably not considering the way jose set the team up. Lukaku was too isolated to play a counter attack

We had 3 midfielders
    Matic Herrera
    Miki
    Swap Herrera with Pogba

You say in one comment we have no creativity without Pogba

Then the next you say he wouldn't have made a difference

Make a decision, jesus

Lukakus isolation was both young and martials fault
    And hereras for doing **** all with the supply

We had 3 midfielders
    Matic Herrera
    Miki
    Swap Herrera with Pogba

Make a decision, jesus

We needed a way to bypass the press on Saturday, Herrera was anonymous and offered no chance of doing that. Pogba and Fellaini both offer different ways of bypassing it.. we would have absolutely done better with one and/or the other imo.

IMO Herrera and Mkhi were the fault for saturdays performance. same with tonight

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

pjohnson wrote: »
    Mkhitaryan needs benching. Hes gone complacent or something and needs to remember he has competition. Get Lingard in the side.

It looks like this is Mkhi at his norm, tbh.

People need to remember this when they wonder why we're are being linked to Ozil in January.
    Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Negative stuff here so far from Mourinho. Benfica are a really poor team.

Bugger off, it's the players all being a step out of form. Tactics wise, we aren't parking the buss. Were all over them in terms of possession but the end product is lacking. Wouldn't blame tactics at all here.

We had 3 midfielders
    Matic Herrera
    Miki
    Swap Herrera with Pogba

Make a decision, jesus

Lukakus isolation was both young and martials fault
    And hereras for doing **** all with the supply

But he only has lukaku ahead of him. Everyone else was deep and liverpool had lukaku swarmed.

Anyway, another terrible 45 minutes so far

astradave wrote: »
    We needed a way to bypass the press on Saturday, Herrera was anonymous and offered no chance of doing that. Pogba and Fellaini both offer different ways of bypassing it.. we would have absolutely done better with one and/or the other imo.

IMO Herrera and Mkhi were the fault for saturdays performance. same with tonight
    I've been saying this for days
    Bangkoks flip flopping is annoying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Mkhitaryan very poor again. Misplacing simple passes, losing possession too easily and generally not having any impact in the game whatsoever. Himself and Herrera have been average to poor.

Pogba and Fellaini are badly missed.

Matic, ironically, has been one of our best attacking outlets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

It looks like this is Mkhi at his norm, tbh.

People need to remember this when they wonder why we're are being linked to Ozil in January.

Bugger off, it's the players all being a step out of form. Tactics wise, we aren't parking the buss. Were all over them in terms of possession but the end product is lacking. Wouldn't blame tactics at all here.
    Yeah, I don't think that people can differentiate **** play from defensive play. Even against Liverpool at the weekendit wasn't a complete bus park, we were just horribly **** and lacking any kind of sharpness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,227 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Mkhitaryan = Kagawa.

I've been saying this for days

I said it before the match I think and said it directly after it.. while Herrera is obviously rusty from lack of game time, Mkhi has been played a lot and needs to be dropped imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

J. Marston wrote: »
    Mkhitaryan = Kagawa.

There seems to be something about ex BVB players in England.....

Yeah, I don't think that people can differentiate **** play from defensive play. Even against Liverpool at the weekendit wasn't a complete bus park, we were just horribly **** and lacking any kind of sharpness.

Its the way mourinho set them up!!

Moreno should have been targeted big time, ask any liverpool supporter, he is crap. We put ashley young out his side. Rashford or lingard should have been let loose on him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Poor for 30 minutes,looked like the Utd of last season at times,sloppy passing and players not performing

Started to improve a bit towards the end of the half,hopefully they will up it a bit in the second half

Putting the blame on one man is way easier than trying to analyze the game.

On the game I don’t think Utd have been negative, just been sloppy and slow with their pace of the game.

Benfica have had 10 men behind the ball when Utd have had possession. Utd haven’t been shy of throwing men forward, they’ve just bee; sh1t with their possession.

Miki has been god awful for half a dozen games now.
    Would like to see Mata at 10 in the second half, Miki hooked and Martial out on the right.

Nah we arent 4-0 up its Mourinho ball etc. etc. etc. Look at Man City.....yadda yadda.....we are doomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

adox wrote: »
    Putting the blame on one man is way easier than trying to analyze the game.

That's pretty much how things went in this thread for the last 2 or 3 seasons.

Sadlier completely misrepresenting what Mourinho said at the weekend about changing the game from the bench.

Such lazy analysis.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement