Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/R_o_M/status/920758910692286464

Lukaka isn't calling him a dope anyway

Lukaku is just getting the mind-games underway for the return leg :pac:

Fair play to that young lad tonight. The goal was a howler, but I've seen worse from more experienced keepers. He faced an approaching Anthony Martial later in the match and kept his nerve just fine.

"Oh, here comes the guy who usually scores when he gets subbed on...not tonight buddy."

It could have been a worse night for him.

Nice to see his team-mates console him, and the United players do their bit too. Even in the immediate aftermath of the goal, the Benfica fans were giving him an encouraging, endorsing round of applause.

In other parts of the world, such a mistake from a keeper/player might not be received so understandingly.

Great scenes of sportsmanship all around. Now, I hope we absolutely run over them in Old Trafford on Halloween!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Fair play to that young lad tonight. The goal was a howler, but I've seen worse from more experienced keepers. He faced an approaching Anthony Martial later in the match and kept his nerve just fine.

"Oh, here comes the guy who usually scores when he gets subbed on...not tonight buddy."

It could have been a worse night for him.

Nice to see his team-mates console him, and the United players do their bit too. Even in the immediate aftermath of the goal, the Benfica fans were giving him an encouraging, endorsing round of applause.

In other parts of the world, such a mistake from a keeper/player might not be received so understandingly.

Great scenes of sportsmanship all around. Now, I hope we absolutely run over them in Old Trafford on Halloween!

Let's be honest if this happened in Madrid they would have the nooses out for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Lukaku is thinking - if you're going to be national keeper in 4 years, I want you to be a confident keeper, or else I'll have to score twice in every game!

Another MOTM award for Matic

What a beast we purchased

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Another MOTM award for Matic

What a beast we purchased

Honestly I don't know what was being smoked at Chelsea the day they decided to sell him, insane.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Basel are doing their best to spoil the early celebrations and looks like our trip there will be our toughest game yet. Them not dropping points in Moscow is far from ideal. Maybe they'll slip up at home to the Russians.

We beat Benfica in two weeks time and we can send the league cup team to Basel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

adox wrote: »
    Putting the blame on one man is way easier than trying to analyze the game.

On the game I don’t think Utd have been negative, just been sloppy and slow with their pace of the game.

Benfica have had 10 men behind the ball when Utd have had possession. Utd haven’t been shy of throwing men forward, they’ve just bee; sh1t with their possession.

Miki has been god awful for half a dozen games now.
    Would like to see Mata at 10 in the second half, Miki hooked and Martial out on the right.

Have seen that mentioned a few times and definitly something I'd like to see myself, maybe just with Rashford out right and Martial on the left.

Didn't catch last nights game as I was out on a work thing but appears as you say he was poor again, so poor F365 singled him out for a piece.

Mata getting a run at 10 at the weekend and for a while sounds like a good shout, to either pull Mhiki from the firing line or just to give him a little kick in the hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Hococop wrote: »
    Let's be honest if this happened in Madrid they would have the nooses out for him

Klopp would have gotten his players to hold hands and run towards him celebrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

The annoying thing is that beating benfica still may not guarantee first place. Basel will likely only be three points behind us then.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

thelad95 wrote: »
    The annoying thing is that beating benfica still may not guarantee first place. Basel will likely only be three points behind us then.

We beat Basel once already, and even if they somehow beat us when we go to them, we beat Benfica and CSKA away from home, and I'd be confident we'd beat them at OT. We're going to top the group without breaking a sweat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Hococop wrote: »

Massimo Taibi says hello :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

United's next 4 league games are live on Sky/BT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    We beat Basel once already, and even if they somehow beat us when we go to them, we beat Benfica and CSKA away from home, and I'd be confident we'd beat them at OT. We're going to top the group without breaking a sweat.
    We would beat Moscow at home with a league cup team like others are suggesting?

This group is still all to play for in terms of securing top spot unfortunately.

I'm still very confident we'll do so but I was hoping there would be less on the line going into the final 2 games given who we gave in the PL following those fixtures.

We would beat Moscow at home with a league cup team like others are suggesting?

This group is still all to play for in terms of securing top spot unfortunately.

I'm still very confident we'll do so but I was hoping there would be less on the line going into the final 2 games given who we gave in the PL following those fixtures.

It's about head to head. All we have to do is beat Benfica and not lose in Basel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'd be annoyed if Mkhitaryan starts against Huddersfield. Needs a boot up the bottom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If Rashford is fit I would like to see him and Martial either side of Mata, behind Lukaku.

If Rashford is fit I would like to see him and Martial either side of Mata, behind Lukaku.

Agreed. I've wanted to see Martial and Rashford both starting for a few games now. Their pace and that on the wings should be awesome.

I love Mata, I do, but he's not good enough as a winger or wide player. He deserves a chance over Mkhi at the #10 spot, but I'd much rather having Martial and Rashford running at full backs.

I'd rest Rashford if it was a knee complaint and just put Lingard on the right.

Just a quess but i think rashfords injury might just be a knee strain from all the dead ball practising he is doing and the technique he is using. Whipped in some serious corners last night

Is it just me or would anyone else like to see rashford martial and lingard all line up behind lukaku? Away to huddersfield they would be very hard to stop with all that pace

• Advertisement

bangkok wrote: »
    Is it just me or would anyone else like to see rashford martial and lingard all line up behind lukaku? Away to huddersfield they would be very hard to stop with all that pace

Lingard might be an ok #10 but I'd prefer to see the intelligence of Mata at 10 feeding balls in behind for Lingard/Martial/Lukaku.

It's about head to head. All we have to do is beat Benfica and not lose in Basel.
    I know. I just would not take that as a given even if we sent our first team.

bangkok wrote: »

My main worry is Huddersfield will park the buss, so it's not about pace, it's about skill. Mata would be more capable of getting a good ball in to he others in that case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

My main worry is Huddersfield will park the buss, so it's not about pace, it's about skill. Mata would be more capable of getting a good ball in to he others in that case.

why do you think they will do that? Are the not all about high tempo/high press - so I would think more likely we will set and try to counter them.

why do you think they will do that? Are the not all about high tempo/high press - so I would think more likely we will set and try to counter them.

Hand on heart, not seen much of them this season. My comment was on the basis that most "small teams" seem to set up negatively against us. If they place the game you say, fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Hand on heart, not seen much of them this season. My comment was on the basis that most "small teams" seem to set up negatively against us. If they place the game you say, fair enough.

Wagner is from the Klopp school of management. High intensity/high press. Take Mooy out of the game and they are pretty ineffective though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

To be fair, Huddersfield have a brave attitude for the new team. They seem to be well organised and quite adventurous going forward early on in the season. Id imagine they wont be afraid to have a go against us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

There first few games were pretty much high tempo they started off the season like a train but I think they have regressed a bit of late i wouldn't be confident of them going out pressing us from the get go.

astradave wrote: »
    Wagner is from the Klopp school of management. High intensity/high press. Take Mooy out of the game and they are pretty ineffective though

original.gif

• Advertisement

I know. I just would not take that as a given even if we sent our first team.

You're overrating Basel. Utd are miles better than all the other teams in the group. Just because they beat CSKA and Benfica doesn't take away from the fact we had an easy 3 nil win against them at OT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Huddersfield had a go against Spurs at home and were humiliated. Should've lost 7-0. I'd be stunned if they were so naive again

Fair enough, maybe I am. I'd happily take a boring 0-0 with a second string team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Should point out, while I'm quick to criticise Jose in areas, I should give credit where due.

He has thus far perfectly navigated this group, which was easy on paper, has had mitigating circumstances with injuries and schedules. To be 9 points, 3 wins from 3 with two of those being away is an excellent start, where we are looking down the barrel of a knockout stage for the first time in what feels like forever., is excellent work.

I think his squad utilisation thus far has been great, using the likes of Blind and Lindeloff in Europe, and is a marked improvement on last year driving certain players into the ground, even early on.

Liverpool blip aside, it's looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Like many have said before Huddersfield came out start of the season attempting to play nice football.

But let's not kid ourselves. No disrespect to them but we should be winning this comfortably. I know anything can happen in football but it would be a huge disappointed to draw and a huge upset to lose.

Huddersfield won two games this season, which happened to be their first two of the campaign against Newcastle and Crystal Palace.
    Since then they've failed to win a league game, and I'm pretty sure they've only scored 1 goal in their previous 6 games, while conceding something like 9. Who did they play in the last 6 games? Southampton, West Ham, Leicester, Burnley, Spurs, Swansea.
    Only two of those teams are in the top half of the table so far this season.

I know people want to lower expectations and pressure at times but we should be beating Huddersfield comfortably, and if we fail to pick up 3 points its a squandered chance and ultimately a failure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Looking at booking a match for a mates birthday. Looking for Feb but don't want to risk the match being changed for CL or FA cup reasons. Looking at Huddersfield in Feb. Reckon this is safe enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Looking at booking a match for a mates birthday. Looking for Feb but don't want to risk the match being changed for CL or FA cup reasons. Looking at Huddersfield in Feb. Reckon this is safe enough?

Nothings safe, its always a gamble.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Obviously I'm childish but the smirk that crosses Scholes face :pac::D

https://twitter.com/EPLBible/status/920728763951976449

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Obviously I'm childish but the smirk that crosses Scholes face :pac::D
    [/url]

I do hope your following the humour thread it's full of similar childish jokes from two sets of suporters ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

jayo26 wrote: »
    I do hope your following the humour thread it's full of similar childish jokes from two sets of suporters ;);)

Aha, see it there now. These days I stick to occasionally reading this thread really and not from else from here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

What’s the current situation with Luke Shaw....is he back to full fitness yet?....is he training with the first team squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

What’s the current situation with Luke Shaw....is he back to full fitness yet?....is he training with the first team squad.

He travelled with the squad to Portugal but alas wasn’t selected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

astradave wrote: »

He travelled with the squad to Portugal’s but alas wasn’t selected

Hope he gets back into team sooner rather than later,imo it’s better to play with a naturally left footed left back and he could form a good partnership with Rashford/Martial.

Is Jones likely to be fit for the weekend I wonder?

I think Shaw will always suffer from Bench time as he only covers one position. He will most likely play some reserve games to get his match fitness and just slot back into the team. If he is getting back in that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Lucas Hood wrote: »

a30012ea373c7cf43a3fe4af73e4628d_400x400.jpeg

It's a ploy on Ozil's part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,466 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Lucas Hood wrote: »

Would have been a dream signing four years ago, we probably should have pushed the boat out for him in 2010, but I honestly wouldn't be too pleased to see him at United given his attitude whilst at Arsenal.
    RVP went to United at the peak of his powers and fired us to a title, even the most optimistic of United fans would struggle to see a similar result from signing Ozil, a player who would be fighting for his place behind Pogba Herrera Fellaini and Matic. More BS from the mirror if we're honest. Could see him ending up at Anfield though...

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Noel82

Shaw is a sad case, he was arguably our best performer under Van Gaal right up until he got injured. He was probably the player I was most excited about at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

nullzero wrote: »
    Would have been a dream signing four years ago, we probably should have pushed the boat out for him in 2010, but I honestly wouldn't be too pleased to see him at United given his attitude whilst at Arsenal.
    RVP went to United at the peak of his powers and fired us to a title, even the most optimistic of United fans would struggle to see a similar result from signing Ozil, a player who would be fighting for his place behind Pogba Herrera Fellaini and Matic. More BS from the mirror if we're honest. Could see him ending up at Anfield though...

Behind Herrera and Fellaini? No. And this is from Fellaini's no.1 fan. Herrera plays deeper under Jose and has never really been convincing, dropped for a period every season he's been at United when the managers realised that Fellaini or others were bringing much more to the table.

Ozil would be competing with Mata, Mkhi and sometimes Pogba for the no. 10 spot. 2 players who also play on the right and one who plays as a CM most of the time. Ozil is clearly better through the middle than Mkhitaryan imo and Jose doesn't like using Mata there it seems despite having the perfect team to play to his strengths. Ozil carries the ball slightly better than Mata but Mata makes better runs into the box.

Overall Ozil would be an improvement. I'd rather Mata just played there and made the position his own but Ozil is a specialist no. 10 and probably the best at it in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

You’d have to question Ozil’s drive and motives at this stage of his career, it would be a nice retirement package to get a 5 year deal at United at 29, and it seems like he stopped caring about winning trophies years ago.

If Jose wants him he must believe he can squeeze something out of him, and anybody is better than Mkhitaryan at this stage, could be a great deal could easily be another dud.

I feel like we have to do something though, it’s a much of a muchness picking the 3 players behind Lukaku none of them offer a consistent threat and it’s hard not to see problems coming down the line despite the start we’ve had.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement