Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Ozil.... meh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Noel82 wrote: »
    Shaw is a sad case, he was arguably our best performer under Van Gaal right up until he got injured. He was probably the player I was most excited about at the time.

Whilst I fully agree that he was a very exciting prospect, his first season under LVg was not great at all, and even LVg was not happy with him fitness/attitude-wise etc. and I think people generally overstate his performances the following season - I mean he got injured very early on (september), so I don't think his first few games, as good as he was, could be any indication really.

Feel sorry for him though - if he is fit, and not even getting some sub minutes or starting league cup games we should let him go to try and resurrect his career somewhere else imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Aye we're all tricked into false memories of shaw being unreal. The fact is that he was OK at best in the first season and it was only the first few games of season 2 that he was really sparkling. He has it in the locker but I'm losing faith.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I think like every other player that comes in, you hope they turn out to be superstars, but that isn't always the case. We sometimes assume pulling on the jersey will give them superpowers, just because of the crest on the chest.
    And we don't realise how poor/average they are till they move on and we see them with players of a similar level.
    I'd love Shaw to come good, because on his day, he looks incredible, but those days seem like a distant memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Jayop wrote: »
    Aye we're all tricked into false memories of shaw being unreal. The fact is that he was OK at best in the first season and it was only the first few games of season 2 that he was really sparkling. He has it in the locker but I'm losing faith.

He didn't even play much in his first season, 16 games or something like that? He was available, Van Gaal just didn't consider him fit enough. The more things change...

Shaw was the best left back in the league at southampton. Started season off excellent before he broke his leg, would love to see him get a run in the first team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭caviardreams

bangkok wrote: »
    Shaw was the best left back in the league at southampton. Started season off excellent before he broke his leg, would love to see him get a run in the first team

I do agree with that - but it was only 4 or 5 games, difficult to really draw any significant inferences from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,228 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

You’d have to question Ozil’s drive and motives at this stage of his career, it would be a nice retirement package to get a 5 year deal at United at 29, and it seems like he stopped caring about winning trophies years ago.

If Jose wants him he must believe he can squeeze something out of him, and anybody is better than Mkhitaryan at this stage, could be a great deal could easily be another dud.

I feel like we have to do something though, it’s a much of a muchness picking the 3 players behind Lukaku none of them offer a consistent threat and it’s hard not to see problems coming down the line despite the start we’ve had.

China/America would be the easier and possibly more lucrative retirement package though.

If he were to come to United, he'd have to put some effort in and it shows he has some drive at least.

I was against the move initially and still kinda am but if Mkhitaryan keeps nose-diving, I might come around to the idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Shaw will be gone in the January window or next summer at the latest would be my guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If Ozil wants to sign for United, and United want to sign him - he could potentially be signed in January for *relatively* cheap and be added to the CL squad - don't think EL players are cup tied from the CL anymore.

Would have to think IF we are going to sign him though, that it would be on a 'free' in the summer and we would be offloading Mata or Miki to make room for him - can't see either of those players leaving in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Would love to have Ozil in the team, with Matic/Fellani/Herrera behind him and Pogba on the left of the front 3 (where he played his best stuff for Juve) and Martial/Rashford on the right he would thrive.

I remember Ronaldo being gutted when he left as he assisted him so so much.

Arsenal have a different make up and don't have the organizational cover to allow for the type of player that Ozil is (pure luxury).

He is in my opinion the best 10 in the world so long as you build the team around him and ensure you cover his weaknesses.

I'd rate him higher than Mikhitaryan and Mata on the ball, bug significantly less off it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

I've no issue with us signing Ozil, in January for a smaller fee or for free in the summer. We cast our eyes enviously towards City and the depth of their attacking pool. I want the same. As it is we have Pogba, 2 young developing players in Rashford and Martial(could even include Lukaku in that), a 36 year striker coming back from injury, a good squad player in Lingaard 2 players in Mata and Mkhitaryan who, while talented, can often fail to deliver. Now Ozil could be described in that sense going on the last 18 months, but we know when played to his strengths he can be a massive creative asset to any team. The fact Jose has managed him before and is likely to know how to play him is an advantage. Since Pogba's injuries last season and this season we have lamented the lack of creativity and vision. I would give anyone playing with Arsenal a slight bit of lee-way when analysing their form given how disjointed things look there. He could be a very astute signing if regaining his form of 18 months ago.

Alexis would be an ideal signing, but he looks City bound. Again, City will have no issue adding him to an already impressive attacking line up so why should we disregard a player like Ozil who still can offer so much if utilized correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

adox wrote: »
    Shaw will be gone in the January window or next summer at the latest would be my guess.

Feel the same. Can't wait forever on him, it's so unfortunate with his injuries but he will come back this season and he needs to really have a blinding second half to the season, or next summer a new LB will be signed and he will be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

I reckon Ozil would be an upgrade on Mkhitaryan at the moment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'm not sure I wouldn't be an upgrade on him at the moment, to be frank...

• Advertisement

Probably right at current.

I'd like to see Miki dropped for a few games. Then react positively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

The only reason I can see is that Jose is trying to play him back into form

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Mctominy signed new deal until 2021 and option of extra year

Ozil not even in arsenal team at moment

bangkok wrote: »
    Ozil not even in arsenal team at moment

Arsenal team isn't, imo, capable of getting the best out of him.

I think he would thrive at 10, with Pogba and Matic behind him - a far better midfield setup than Arsenal.

Obviously, you can then discuss wether you should need to accomodate him in such ways of whether he should simply step up and play well regardless given the importance and faith arsenal placed in him. Valid arguments.

I just think Ozil plonked in at 10 instead of Miki does better for us than he is for Arsenal.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Any word on pogba or fellaini and was it just a knock for rashford

Hococop wrote: »
    Any word on pogba or fellaini and was it just a knock for rashford

Same players available from midweek, Jose confirmed Rashford is fit

Also this, Greizmann anyone?

https://twitter.com/cmwinterburn/status/921361495224659968

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

astradave wrote: »
    Same players available from midweek, Jose confirmed Rashford is fit

Also this, Greizmann anyone?

https://twitter.com/cmwinterburn/status/921361495224659968

Has to be, really.

Can't see it happening in January at least but you never know.

Arsenal team isn't, imo, capable of getting the best out of him.

I think he would thrive at 10, with Pogba and Matic behind him - a far better midfield setup than Arsenal.

Obviously, you can then discuss wether you should need to accomodate him in such ways of whether he should simply step up and play well regardless given the importance and faith arsenal placed in him. Valid arguments.

I just think Ozil plonked in at 10 instead of Miki does better for us than he is for Arsenal.

Maybe he would but some of his "displays" in an arsenal shirt have been nothing short of disgraceful. He gives up very easy when things not going his way

Has to be, really.

Think it depends if Atleti crash out of Champions League. Think he will stay with them if they get through. We will see though.

Has to be, really.

Could also be Danny Rose.

Jose was well reported to want a full back, and Rose's name was mentioned a good bit.

astradave wrote: »
    Think it depends if Atleti crash out of Champions League. Think he will stay with them if they get through. We will see though.

If they go out I can see it happening they will have costa done in January.

If we sign Griezmann in January, I'll eat a hat from Jayo's collection.

I just can't see a player of his calibre willingly abandoning a CL tournament midway through, just to spend the rest of it cup-tied.

I know Juan Mata did just that in January 2014. However, Mata was out of favour at Chelsea and at the time needed regular football. CL appearances that season probably weren't his priority.

I'd love to be wrong here though.

I just can't see a player of his calibre willingly abandoning a CL tournament midway through, just to spend the rest of it cup-tied.

I know Juan Mata did just that in January 2014. However, Mata was out of favour at Chelsea and at the time needed regular football. CL appearances that season probably weren't his priority.

The presumption is Atletico will be out of the CL at that point, given how dreadful they've been in it thus far. They've drawn two and lost one of their three games, with Roma and a Chelsea ahead of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Screenshotted for 2 months time haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

What's more likely to happen though -

(a) Griezmann joins United in January in what turns out to be a pretty straight-forward, hassle-free transfer.

(b) Griezmann remains at Atletico for the rest of the season, saying his future will be sorted in the summer. There is no progress before the World Cup, so we have to put up with a month's worth of "Griezmann set to sign for United", "Griezmann deal hits snag", "Real Madrid set to usurp United-Griezmann deal" etc. etc. France will get knocked out, we'll be thrilled because we think the deal can get done. But then he'll fúck off on holdiday for a couple of weeks. We'll over analyze every Instagram post, we'll love him, we'll hate him, we'll be sick to the fúcking teeth of him. He'll either join us and all will be forgiven, or more likely piss off somewhere more continental and we'll all say he's over-rated and couldn't possibly support someone with that hairstyle. We'll move on, and the summer will be seen as a huge disappointment no matter what happens. We all lose our jobs, all our marriages break down, we all lose our homes to the bank and all be because Griezmann with his stupid poncey fúcking hair pissed off to Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

or Ivan Perisic

Nalz wrote: »
    or Ivan Perisic

Perisic recently signed a new 5 year contract and stated he wasn’t going anywhere

Lord TSC wrote: »
    The presumption is Atletico will be out of the CL at that point, given how dreadful they've been in it thus far. They've drawn two and lost one of their three games, with Roma and a Chelsea ahead of them.

Holy shít, I didn't know they only drew earlier in the week. When I saw the list of fixtures, I pictured a good win in Atletico's favour. It's been a busy week and I didn't get to catch up with all CL games. (Busier next week and I won't get to investigate your cagey behaviour in the WW forum :()

NSZSGBH.png

Right, Atletico are in a spot of bother in that CL group. They're not out of it by any means, but if they fail to progress I could see the chances of Griezmann joining us in January increasing.
    Hococop wrote: »
    Screenshotted for 2 months time haha

Thanks Hococop, sound. I reckon Atletico will qualify from their group and therefore Griezmann will remain with them for the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Jose was well reported to want a full back, and Rose's name was mentioned a good bit.

Possible but more likely to be a winger/wing forward like he said he would have liked to get in the summer.

Other then switching full time to wing backs, Rose on the left Valencia on the right. Bailly, Jones, Smalling/Lindelof for the centre. Matic and Pogba with Miki Rashford/Martial and Lukaku ahead.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Holy shít, I didn't know they only drew earlier in the week. When I saw the list of fixtures, I pictured a good win in Atletico's favour. It's been a busy week and I didn't get to catch up with all CL games. (Busier next week and I won't get to investigate your cagey behaviour in the WW forum :()

NSZSGBH.png

Right, Atletico are in a spot of bother in that CL group. They're not out of it by any means, but if they fail to progress I could see the chances of Griezmann joining us in January increasing.

Thanks Hococop, sound. I reckon Atletico will qualify from their group and therefore Griezmann will remain with them for the season.

I'll have a nice juicy hat put to one side for ya.

fbvFJ58.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

^^

They just don't make them like that anymore, one of the all time classic episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

M!Ck^ wrote: »

That's a nice touch by that kid going to visit Shaw as he recovers.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Charlie Daniels and Alfie Mawson have joined Mata's campaign to donate 1% of their salary to charity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

One thing I love it's Matic ability in tight situations and also how he drives forward with the ball.

Unreal signing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

One thing I love it's Matic ability in tight situations and also how he drives forward with the ball.

Unreal signing

Him driving forward, got to admit has surprised me a lot. it isn't the traditional DM role I believed he would play that i've seen him play with Chelsea, thinking it would be a close match up between Carrick and him but he is streets ahead of him, dm,cm/am he can play them all and really well.

Also the price, put me on edge but it is such a snip the way he has played and to read some comment from some Chelsea fans about Bakayoko it's so sweet. (until we meet Chelsea at the bridge of course :o:pac:)

• Advertisement

Hard to believe he is still only 36 and he gone so long and Carrick still at club at same age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

going for 2-0 win for United today

going for 2-0 win for United today

5-1

Lukaku is getting his first hatrick for us today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

1-1. Maybe 0-1.

You don't switch form on and off like a light bulb. As always, I will be happy to be wrong.

1-1. Maybe 0-1.

You don't switch form on and off like a light bulb. As always, I will be happy to be wrong.

You can if you take action on the under-performing players in the team.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement